VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

@Razz....I looked up tactile pants that bike delivery drivers wear. On the Galls site, there are 147 Under Armour professional uniform outdoor items. Hoodies, tactile pants, etc.

There are pants that have DuPont Teflon fabric protector that repels liquids.

Under Armour Blackout 2.0 Gloves | Black Duty Gloves

Propper Lightweight Tactical Trousers combine low-profile styling with tactical utility. These men's tactical pants are constructed from lightweight ripstop fabric to offer maximum breathability and strength. DuPont™ Teflon® fabric protector to repel stains and liquids. Nine pockets hold everything including your smartphone, multi-tool or weapon mags. Propper’s action-stretch provides enhanced comfort.

Last edited:
I started wondering today how the intruder got into the apartment (forgive me if I'm repeating questions that had been answered ages ago). If I recall correctly, Scott shared it with his sister (or was visiting her?)- was he the only one there at the time?

Was the front door locked? Was there evidence of a break in, or did someone inside the apartment answer the door? From what I can tell, there are no apartments on the ground floor (reserved for retail space). So, tough chance at jumping over balconies and sneaking in/out sliding back doors. I also don't see much space for anyone to be sneaking around undetected outside the building. The courtyard and pool are overlooked by at least 16 residential floors.

This complex is huge...if it were me, I wouldn't be able to find my way around the property without having first been there before. Having lived in a much smaller, but still sizeable condominium complex, I've had to walk family and friends to and from my apartment, as well as occasionally retrieve them from parking garages, elevators and stairwells when they get lost (key fob access is a blessing and curse)!!

I have a hard time believing this perp was a stranger to the building. Though, if someone wrote this person a detailed map to help them navigate, I wonder how easy it would be...

I also can't tell if this complex had secured access (elevators, doors etc.), but their website says they have a concierge. Would a concierge work in place of secured access? Would they give a complete stranger/murderer detailed instructions on how to get to the apartment of their victim? (I don't think so).

Going back to re-read now, see if there's anything I missed, or if I can find the answers to my own questions. It's just so bizarre to me that this perp was able to get into the apartment, commit this heinous act and attempt to clean up, all before running away (in a very conspicuous fashion) without being noticed. moo.

@Razz....I looked up tactile pants that bike delivery drivers wear. On the Galls site, there are 147 Under Armour professional uniform outdoor items. Hoodies, tactile pants, etc.

There are pants that have DuPont Teflon fabric protector that repels liquids.

Under Armour Blackout 2.0 Gloves | Black Duty Gloves

Propper Lightweight Tactical Trousers combine low-profile styling with tactical utility. These men's tactical pants are constructed from lightweight ripstop fabric to offer maximum breathability and strength. DuPont™ Teflon® fabric protector to repel stains and liquids. Nine pockets hold everything including your smartphone, multi-tool or weapon mags. Propper’s action-stretch provides enhanced comfort.
Wow. Thanks Kaylas. Maybe this guy delivers special mail/packages. If you read about the gloves, the fingers have a special material so you can use a touch screen without taking your gloves off. Sounds like something a carrier would need...marking off things delivered?!
It's probably a mirage but does anyone see the outline of a spray bottle in the back pack?
I wonder if there are stairs (surely there are for fire escape) that he could have taken without being detected.

No worries at all- I meant that article took the police PR out of context. I greatly appreciate any and all help!! But yes, the pants look very strange and waterproof resistant/slack like. The jacket also looks like some type of trail hooded jacket (the hood looks like it extends further than normal hoods for eye protection)- which goes with an outdoorsy theme since the backpack appears to look like a hiking backpack too.

Although the video footage of the jacket isn’t that clear, the jacket looks like a tactical jacket, an item sold to hunters, LE, and outdoor types. I’ve seen some ads for jackets like this, which are usually slim fitting, with multiple pockets and made from weather resistant material. There are several companies that offer this kind of jacket, usually via internet sales vs. brick and mortar retailers. 5.11 is one manufacturer that specializes in this type of clothing. These kinds of jackets are often advertised in hunting, gun, and outdoor adventure magazines. The pants are probably from the same type of manufacturer. It is someone who did careful planning - very deliberate with a lot of thought going into every detail. It’s very ominous....

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks Kaylas. Maybe this guy delivers special mail/packages. If you read about the gloves, the fingers have a special material so you can use a touch screen without taking your gloves off. Sounds like something a carrier would need...marking off things delivered?!
It's probably a mirage but does anyone see the outline of a spray bottle in the back pack?
I wonder if there are stairs (surely there are for fire escape) that he could have taken without being detected.

Every multistory apartment building built in the US in the past 30 years has to have fire exit stairs within the building that have walls rated for fire resistance. Depending on the floor plan, there can be more than one. This is required by building codes in every US jurisdiction. In buildings with good security, there are cameras in these stairwells to prevent their use as surreptitious entries or exits. Many times, such stairwells exit directly outdoors, but doors usually only open outward. It’s possible that perpetrator used one of these stairwells for exiting; perhaps he found a way to use them to enter the building. Maybe they were propped open for some kind of maintenance activity, or had broken hardware that was not fixed.

From the video, I don't see changes to the shoes. The backpack doesn't look LL Bean unless, the cop's pic is from somewhere else. I took some stills from the video: . https://imgur.com/a/eBO5Bbx
These are great pictures.
My first instinct when seeing LE's article with photos is this is a female.
Then I read article and seeing posts here that LE is looking for a male.
In some of these still photos, I still see female in most of them.
I guess I have to go with LE that it is male.
I also see duct tape over logo on back of back pack.
JMO

These are great pictures.
My first instinct when seeing LE's article with photos is this is a female.
Then I read article and seeing posts here that LE is looking for a male.
In some of these still photos, I still see female in most of them.
I guess I have to go with LE that it is male.
I also see duct tape over logo on back of back pack.
JMO

It looks like it could be male or female. Perhaps LE has some DNA - that would identify the gender even if there are no database matches.

Every multistory apartment building built in the US in the past 30 years has to have fire exit stairs within the building that have walls rated for fire resistance. Depending on the floor plan, there can be more than one. This is required by building codes in every US jurisdiction. In buildings with good security, there are cameras in these stairwells to prevent their use as surreptitious entries or exits. Many times, such stairwells exit directly outdoors, but doors usually only open outward. It’s possible that perpetrator used one of these stairwells for exiting; perhaps he found a way to use them to enter the building. Maybe they were propped open for some kind of maintenance activity, or had broken hardware that was not fixed.
I'd like to know if there were cameras in the stairwells. And if they were not working, the perp was either very lucky or he knew beforehand about the building and what was working and what wasn't. But how would one coordinate when they were going to SR's apt with no one there except for the victim....how he would make it unnoticed through the entrance with the get up he was wearing....taking either the fire stairs and or elevator ( both that should have been equipped with security cameras) knowing that none of the cameras worked.

That was my first impression as well, but LE described the person as a white male, 5' 6" - 5' 8" tall, weighing 150 - 175 lbs.. I wonder what makes them so certain? Jmo

Not sure but from the stills posted I got a male vibe too. But given the smaller stature, it makes me think Hispanic or Asian male is a definite possibility.

The attached image, released by ACPD, is a video still-frame which does not appear in the video footage released by ACPD. Specifically, the rounded street curb with a stake in a mulch bed. Did the suspect change shoes after leaving the AVA?

Surveillance-Image-2020-011702292-420x568.jpg
Surveillance-Image-2020-011702294-472x600.jpg

Sorry if this has already been asked? Am reading thru and want to ask before I forget - in the 2nd pic, there looks like a phone in the back pocket or am I just imagining that?

ETA most likely way off the mark but is there any possibility there were 2 people who attacked Scott? Might be why shoes and backpack appear different, but then there's the gait.

Just a thought

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe someone local can print flyers with the photos and distribute them around the block.
Some thoughts – (speculation):

• Looks like a small male (Asian/South american?). We’re used to seeing tight jeans on women so I think many are defaulting to that.
  • Backpack looks like a military/tactical item – they have a velcro/stitch or reflective strip at the top. The hoodie also caught my eye, looks uncommon. They seem to be wearing safety glasses.
  • I don’t think there was a break in? I think it went unnoticed for a while and the initial 911 was for a cardiac arrest and suspicious death. However, it was a “bloody scene with blood from mouth/neck/hand and the weapon was not initially obvious”. I find this confusing. Did they first suspect self harm?
  • They probably had a key or knew Scott as he was found in he bedroom. If they had a key, Scott might have thought it was his sister/cleaning/maintenance? How long did this person stay in the apartment? Probably used a gun or something as Scott looked much bigger and athletic, unless he was intoxicated or something.
  • Did this happen on a week day, during the day? Maybe it’s just a robber, didn’t expect anyone at home.
  • They probably wiped down the door handles with bleach, which is why smelled it first.

Thanks for reading.

I am confused a bit. Was any duct tape used on a backpack on the way to the building????

Was the duct tape from the apartment or did the killer come equipped??? If the killer knew/stalked Scott, how would he know sister wasn't there? Did he stalk her or her friends social media? Or did he come for both of them???

Clearly the management company of the apartment complex has some exposure here. They should be bending over backward to get the photos and videos to all residents and staff from 2019, Jan 2020. APD should be pushing them on this and giving them an anonymous tip line as well in case of immigration issues or other concerns.

If Scott’s friends and family want more eyeballs on this footage (and reward info), I would highly recommend doing tv interviews with the local dc area stations. You can get another round of coverage with personal pleas. If family doesn’t want to do it themselves, I bet they would welcome friends doing the interviews. And these can be very effective for getting more coverage. JMO

If Scott’s friends and family want more eyeballs on this footage (and reward info), I would highly recommend doing tv interviews with the local dc area stations. You can get another round of coverage with personal pleas. If family doesn’t want to do it themselves, I bet they would welcome friends doing the interviews. And these can be very effective for getting more coverage. JMO
Stations in the local area haven’t given the coverage that could reach more people. 5 Fox News morning news might have done an update. Local NBC, CBS and ABC could share the story once again, giving details of the POI. Radford local stations as well as Harrisonburg, VA stations could air something on Scott’s unsolved case. A professor or student at the schools that SR and his GF attended, might recall someone with a slight toeing-in.

Thanks MoeInVA for this.

In a 2017 case in Boston, a former maintenance worker at a large building kept his set of master keys, and used them for burglaries after he was fired. He entered the apartment of 2 physicians, and killed them both when he came in and found them both home. A scenario like this could explain the ease of entry and exit, although there are certainly other explanations.

The burglar also carried a backpack for stolen items.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back