TX - David Niwamanya, 5, dies from unknown trauma at playground, Houston, 3 January 2021

It's in the back of my mind, too. Whatever happened, that beautiful child is gone. And he got hurt -- to death.

If something bad did happen at home, I think we will know about it sooner rather than later. I feel sure LE is fine-tooth-combing that possibility in this case.
Was he really at a playground?? All by himself? Where is the playground?? I've searched around using Google Maps, and I can't find a playground. There's a skate park some distance from his address, but that doesn't seem right for a 5 y/o by himself -- it is even open?
Was he seen at the playground? Did anyone see him -- either playing or injured? We have heard from a post here that this neighborhood is not often forthcoming to LE.

It is rather bothersome, isn't it?

I looked around on maps and websites about the apartments and I never found a playground either. However, I did see that the entrances to the apartments, in my opinion only, have gates that would need a key. Makes me think the playground would have to be in the apartment courtyard. But, I can’t see one on the satellite image.

The media reports don’t name the playground or apartment complex... seems like that would be crucial for getting tips from possible witnesses.

There are a few apartment complexes in the 6100s... difficult to tell if any have playground in courtyard from satellite view.

This has probably already been posted here, but I just saw it...

I still don't know what to think of this.
If the playground was, as described below, bolded by me below and here -- "had gone to a playground outside his apartment" -- wouldn't someone have heard something?
-----------------------------------
POLICE Department

Investigation into Death of Child at 6111 Glenmont Drive
January 20, 2021 - Houston police are awaiting autopsy results in the death of a juvenile male found unresponsive at 6111 Glenmont Drive about noon on January 3.
[...]
HPD Homicide Division Detective D. Williamson reported:

Officers responded to the apartment complex at the above address to investigate the death of a child. Family members stated the boy (David) had gone to a playground outside his apartment and was seen several minutes later struggling to walk up the stairs to his apartment. When he was brought inside the residence, family members stated that David became unresponsive and paramedics were called. Medical personnel observed bruising on the boy's body.

------------------------------
Source:

This has probably already been posted here, but I just saw it...

I still don't know what to think of this.
If the playground was, as described below, bolded by me below and here -- "had gone to a playground outside his apartment" -- wouldn't someone have heard something?
-----------------------------------
POLICE Department

January 20, 2021 - Houston police are awaiting autopsy results in the death of a juvenile male found unresponsive at 6111 Glenmont Drive about noon on January 3.
[...]
HPD Homicide Division Detective D. Williamson reported:

Officers responded to the apartment complex at the above address to investigate the death of a child. Family members stated the boy (David) had gone to a playground outside his apartment and was seen several minutes later struggling to walk up the stairs to his apartment. When he was brought inside the residence, family members stated that David became unresponsive and paramedics were called. Medical personnel observed bruising on the boy's body.

------------------------------
Source:
Thanks. I guess that means San Lucas apartments but still not 100% sure. I finally found a photo of a courtyard playground at San Lucas (though address listed here is westward...) San Lucas Apartments Houston - $665+ for 1 & 2 Bed Apts
Playground wasn’t listed in amenities in the other San Lucas listings, but I am guessing this is the playground referenced... I would hope there was surveillance footage of the courtyard.

Houston police searching for answers in death of 5-year-old

Houston police would not elaborate on his injuries but said they are "unique" and will be used as a tool in their investigation.

An autopsy was performed on David, but results have not been released.

Investigators said they are not sure if the child had an accident, if someone else was involved in an accident that led to his injuries or if he was assaulted.

Houston police would not elaborate on his injuries but said they are "unique" and will be used as a tool in their investigation.

Investigators said they are not sure if the child had an accident, if someone else was involved in an accident that led to his injuries or if he was assaulted.

I think this might be an accident. Poor baby could have taken a hard fall, broken some ribs, and ended up with a punctured lung.

I was hoping the news video would show the playground equipment, but it didn't. Have you seen a picture of what's there on MSM?

I wonder if he was the only one there. Once I witnessed a toddler get hurt at a playground (hit in the head by the small metal carousel) and older kids literally ran out of the playground away (they had been pushing it previously so maybe panicked, even though it wasn't their fault). Unless someone comes forward as a witness, how could you know if he was alone, though?

I was hoping the news video would show the playground equipment, but it didn't. Have you seen a picture of what's there on MSM?

I wonder if he was the only one there. Once I witnessed a toddler get hurt at a playground (hit in the head by the small metal carousel) and older kids literally ran out of the playground away (they had been pushing it previously so maybe panicked, even though it wasn't their fault). Unless someone comes forward as a witness, how could you know if he was alone, though?
Only thing I could see from google maps was a pool so I don't know.

Thanks. I guess that means San Lucas apartments but still not 100% sure. I finally found a photo of a courtyard playground at San Lucas (though address listed here is westward...) San Lucas Apartments Houston - $665+ for 1 & 2 Bed Apts
Playground wasn’t listed in amenities in the other San Lucas listings, but I am guessing this is the playground referenced... I would hope there was surveillance footage of the courtyard.
Here is a better link to the photo of the playground which MAY be the one referenced in this case... Google Image Result for https://picturescdn.alndata.com/?pid=d44d00fc-8001-44e6-bf88-55e77c83c2af&w=250&h=225

ETA- it looks pretty safe but accidents do happen.

No CCTV of David going to and from the playground and/or at the playground? If something really happened at the playground, it could've been an accident or other kid hurting him badly.

Here is a better link to the photo of the playground which MAY be the one referenced in this case... Google Image Result for https://picturescdn.alndata.com/?pid=d44d00fc-8001-44e6-bf88-55e77c83c2af&w=250&h=225

Just found this report that says the playground was near his apt at Glenmont dr and rampart st. Still can’t see an obvious playground there... might be la hacienda apartments as others stated but still can’t see playground and don’t have grasp of his walk home. Who killed five-year-old David Niwamanya? | CW39 Houston

this article says that homicide investigators say he was injured at playground (not “parents reported”):

“On Sunday, January 3rd around 1p.m. little five-year-old David Niwamanya was playing at a playground located at the 6100 block of Glenmont Drive in Southwest Houston when he was severely injured, according to homicide investigators. Niwamanya struggled to make his way back home, where he collapsed and died from his injuries.”

Maybe it’s sloppy or maybe investigators did confirm that injury happened at playground?

Not sure what to make of the fact that the police and family are asking for the public’s help weeks after his death January 3rd... thoughts??
Did they verify via surveillance he was wounded before getting home and just not mention it?
So many possibilities... shot, hit by car, what’s a unique injury? Crushing?

Hmmmm..."unique".....
Some tool from a toolbox like a ball peen hammer or a special-use wrench? Tire wrench? Roofer's tool (is there one)? Specialized carpenter's tool? Some car repair tool? Some kid's toy that could harm -- toy metal pistol, kid's baseball bat, yard darts, kid's metal tool like a screwdriver, wrench, metal ruler, etc? Some tool with which I'm not familiar -- I'm not really a tool person...
It's not sounding like LE thinks it was an accident, is it?
Maybe it'll pop soon, folks. SMH.

I'm struggling to believe if his body was covered in bruises that they came from the playground... does anyone know how long it would take bruising to show up? Wouldn't it take longer than the walk from the playground to the home?

I'm struggling to believe if his body was covered in bruises that they came from the playground... does anyone know how long it would take bruising to show up? Wouldn't it take longer than the walk from the playground to the home?
He was COVERED in bruises? I think the time varies. It gets worse with time but a good bang on the noggin can get a bruise in maybe 10 minutes I think. Most bruises take a day to really show up. If it showed up fast it would take force I think / like throwing rocks at him, rubber bullets, blunt force trauma. ???

He was COVERED in bruises? I think the time varies. It gets worse with time but a good bang on the noggin can get a bruise in maybe 10 minutes I think. Most bruises take a day to really show up. If it showed up fast it would take force I think / like throwing rocks at him, rubber bullets, blunt force trauma. ???

Agreed -- that's why I thought that more than fists were involved -- some stick, or something that would result in death as quickly as it did. It would take a bad head, chest or torso injury IMO to kill this child as soon as it did. Of course a very tough hit to his chest or abdomen could result in a heart, liver or lung injury that could possibly cause gross bleeding. And certainly a very tough blow to his head could also cause fatal bleeding. Bless his little soul.
We don't know how long he was gone, do we? Surely not that long since he was apparently by himself (AFAIK) and only 5 years old.
SMH. Hoping we'll get details -- as much as LE will let us know -- soon. What did the autopsy say?
Five years old. Another sweet-looking pretty little boy gone.

Thanks much, @MoeInVA for the link/pic. Good work in finding it for us. I would think that the park in your link would be the one he used.
It looks like a save and nice, clean little playground -- something a 5 y/o would enjoy and be safe to use --> he or she would still need a responsible teen or adult with him -- absolutely.
I don't see older kids going there unless they would be taking younger children there to play. The steps and sliding board, etc., best I can tell, look just right for young children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash
Back