VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

I think everyone here is getting too caught up in the gait and what it means. Yes, the gait is distinctive, but sometimes people walk in different ways at different times, depending on their mood, posture, whether they're carrying something heavy, etc. Differences in the gait do not equate to this being pictures of two different people. Also, it would not make sense for this to be a woman. The APD already said Male, and they've been considering this for a year. Also, given the already present height difference between Scott and the attacker, it would be very difficult for a woman to overtake him.

My condolences to those affected by this tragic murder, and I hope the person who did this is swiftly brought to justice. My first instinct was a drug-motivated killing but assuming Scott's family and friends are being truthful about him not being involved in the drug scene, that should be ruled out. If Scott was involved with drugs it would certainly be known to his friends. If there was concern about post-death reputational harm, and family and friends suspected drugs, there would not be this push to find the killer (and the killer would probably already be known).

Here are my thoughts now:

The outfit, use of bleach, and overall "clean" killing all indicate a professional hit, or at least a hit by someone with some experience in this area. Others speculated about Scott being involved with foreign intelligence actors but I think its a bit more local, such as connections with a local gang.

I believe the key to this case may be in Scott's girlfriend at the time of this death. I do not mean to speculate that she was in any way a willful participant or conspirator in the murder, but I believe the motive may have had something to do with her. I have sincere and heavy sympathy for her loss.

Scott's friend in this message board mentioned the couple had been on and off for ten years and were currently on. Breaks in the relationship indicate there may have been a jealous male spurned by the girlfriend when her and Scott got back together. (Another possibility, although not aligned with my overall theory, is that Scott spurned a woman when he got back together with his long-term girlfriend, and that woman asked a male friend, brother, or professional hit man to get revenge on Scott.)

<modsnip>

Again, my condolences to everyone involved in this case.

I also tend to lean towards professional hit due to the outfit and use of bleach. But then I think can you even be a hit-man with such a distinctive gait? probably not a very under the radar one at least. I also think if it were a hit-man or something of that nature- wouldn't this person be re-appearing in video footage months/weeks prior stalking the place out, where there face might be shown? unless, it was someone from the area that already knows the ins and outs of Arlington. But then I wonder, would a hit-man do a job in his own hometown? Just a lot of different thoughts on that theory, if anyone has any type of insight into that area of crime?

I also tend to lean towards professional hit due to the outfit and use of bleach. But then I think can you even be a hit-man with such a distinctive gait? probably not a very under the radar one at least. I also think if it were a hit-man or something of that nature- wouldn't this person be re-appearing in video footage months/weeks prior stalking the place out, where there face might be shown? unless, it was someone from the area that already knows the ins and outs of Arlington. But then I wonder, would a hit-man do a job in his own hometown? Just a lot of different thoughts on that theory, if anyone has any type of insight into that area of crime?
I tried to look up murder-for-hire statistics yesterday and couldn’t find any. I especially wanted to know gender breakdown. My sense is that women are more likely to recruit a killer than men (though they aren’t really professional hit men, a guy recruited to kill for a woman would do their best to prepare which could fit with our POI here).

It’s hard for me to imagine a guy hiring a hit man to kill Scott unless maybe this guy was either a) a romantic rival or b) acting out revenge for romantic situation AND c) already part of a criminal enterprise so tasking a killer was not hard or d) older and crazy.

I can’t imagine any financial motive here. Even if Scott was in debt, he would be worth more alive than dead. Makes no sense to kill him. For what? Send a message to all the other Konica Minolta consultants placing sports bets? Don’t think so.

Maybe not a professional hit but maybe someone hired/asked around for someone willing to commit the crime? jmo

If the person was just walking around Arlington, not wearing the mask and stalker get up, they probably would look pretty normal, and might be on video but the police might not be able to tell for sure it’s the same person. Or they might not stick out at all.

Another aspect that makes me think it’s professional is that he knew to avert his eyes while he walked by the cameras. Whether he’s a hit man or not, he checked out that apartment building prior. That’s not something the average person thinks of especially as they’re walking away from something as emotional as committing a murder.

Again to my point about the gait potentially being fake - a professional might also know how to switch up his walk to throw police off the scent.

If the person was just walking around Arlington, not wearing the mask and stalker get up, they probably would look pretty normal, and might be on video but the police might not be able to tell for sure it’s the same person. Or they might not stick out at all.

Another aspect that makes me think it’s professional is that he knew to avert his eyes while he walked by the cameras. Whether he’s a hit man or not, he checked out that apartment building prior. That’s not something the average person thinks of especially as they’re walking away from something as emotional as committing a murder.

Again to my point about the gait potentially being fake - a professional might also know how to switch up his walk to throw police off the scent.
If it’s not about the gait, then why did APD release this?
Surely they can contact northface and underarmour themselves to ID the styles. And put it out there to the masses. But they thought the whole picture was important it seems... the gait or just the whole picture.

Anyway I will agree and say again, APD and the family better be pressuring AVA to contact all the residents at that time.

I am new here and created an account just to comment since I am familiar with the area.

The apartment complex is easy to scope out; it is right on the street and there is a restaurant across from it with outdoor seating. It occupies a whole city block. Mostly apartment dwellers or worker bees on the street, so it is perfectly plausible to be as strangely dressed as him and escape notice.

I am confused about the memorial held at a CF like gym in Sterling. Sterling is far and I can’t imagine he exercised there. That’s an odd detail. Maybe someone who knows him can comment on that.

I also find the timing strange. Did he telework on Fridays?

I am new here and created an account just to comment since I am familiar with the area.

The apartment complex is easy to scope out; it is right on the street and there is a restaurant across from it with outdoor seating. It occupies a whole city block. Mostly apartment dwellers or worker bees on the street, so it is perfectly plausible to be as strangely dressed as him and escape notice.

I am confused about the memorial held at a CF like gym in Sterling. Sterling is far and I can’t imagine he exercised there. That’s an odd detail. Maybe someone who knows him can comment on that.

The POI has a very typical CrossFit physique - glutes and bulky thighs with a boxy torso.

Good points! I also am curious as whether it was normal for him to have Fridays off or work from home. If so, would the POI or person that hired the hit man know this?

I found the Facebook event for the memorial at the gym in Sterling. It said SR was a good friend of a coach at the gym. The memorial was a fundraiser to raise money for Project Fit America, which SR's family asked for donations to in lieu of flowers.

"Project Fit America works with communities all across the United States to bring funding, equipment, teacher training, curriculum, and the resources schools need to get kids fit, and foster a love of movement.”

IMO, SR probably didn't regularly work out there but his friend felt compelled to host a fundraiser in his honor. The friend posted that they raised $535 for Project Fit America.

The POI may not live in the Arlington community now.

I am leaning towards a man crush. That this person may identify as they, them; transgender? A cognitive deficit in the executive function area; impulsive, highly reactive and lack of emotional regulation. This person may have a high IQ; deficits in other areas.
MoeInVa may have added the psych aspect about being a male with feminine qualities.

Is there a hip, fluid bar section in Arlington that LBGQT+ people frequent along with straight people?

Last edited:
Just my theory...

Scott or his sister (he lived with his sister) had an item of value that someone saw while over the week before... or they had a cleaning service and one of them gets to talking about something they saw there to their boyfriend. Someone goes to rob them, dressed for it.

I feel like the person in the video is not born In the US if that gait is authentic. It would have been corrected. South American maybe?

Anyway, the guy decides to break in and take some thing of value from them. Scott’s home. There are lots of people around here who Friday’s off, asleep. Guy busts in with a crowbar, had to kill Scott, panics, bleaches the place, switches his shoes with Scott’s and had to run all pigeon toed to keep the too big shoes on his feet.

I've just started reading this thread and it sure is a strange one. It's hard to believe a year passed before LE released a video of a suspect. I'm trying to understand why the FBI was called in to the investigation. Not being an American I thought that the FBI was involved in interstate and other federal crimes. Since Arlington is a stone's throw from DC and Maryland, I wonder if that has something to do with them being involved.

I've looked at the video and stills of the suspect. When I see that gait it reminds me of a lot of the athletes I went to school with. Many of them walked pigeon toed. There's one clip where the suspect seems to be favouring his right leg, not exactly a limp but a hitch. Maybe he had something in his shoe or down his pant leg.

I can't really tell if the suspect is male or female, they appear to have hips when viewed from the back. They are quite slight, as well, they don't appear to me to be any near between 150 to 180 pounds. More like 135 maybe.

I have an unsettling feeling that this murder is personal. I find it strangely quiet on the family and friend front. Kind of like in the Suzanne Morphew case.

Has anybody asked: who is the guy in the "Scott Ratigan Radford university interview" video (the one where SR is seen holding a microphone and interviewing a younger guy who is wearing a blue sweatshirt)?

Is this a new video? I don't know anything about YT (or SM for that matter), and I'm no great sleuth, but I haven't seen this vid before. Did someone just put this out there (has it just been "planted")? If not, it seems there would have been lots of prior discussion about it here on the thread.

SR seems to already know the younger guy. It appears to be a planned / rehearsed video/interview. SR asks him what his name is, what he's going to be for about halloween ("a college student"), whether he's going to vote, etc. He says his name, but I can't make it out..

Seems to be about 5'7- or 5'8"... about 170lbs... wearing a North Face sweatshirt... an Under Armour hat... and a black backpack with a tag on the shoulder strap and a logo on the back..

It says the vid was "published on Nov. 16, 2016". Subscriber initials KO?

Jmo

Wow! Amazing find. I'm not sure how it would bubble up if you haven't seen it before but in my view it was posted 4 years ago. I have not looked for videos with him in them though.

Watch the gait as he approaches the camera...hmm. Also the pants. Backpack is super common but still. It's a shame that Scott blocks the view of him walking away. Of course we have no idea if this person is even in the Arlington area or has connections to Scott but it is interesting.

As to the video itself, I suspect it was for a class project or some thing like a communications class where the assignment is to interview someone and then post it on YouTube.

The POI may not live in the Arlington community now.

I am leaning towards a man crush. That this person may identify as they, them; transgender? A cognitive deficit in the executive function area; impulsive, highly reactive and lack of emotional regulation. This person may have a high IQ; deficits in other areas.
MoeInVa may have added the psych aspect about being a male with feminine qualities.

Is there a hip, fluid bar section in Arlington that LBGQT+ people frequent along with straight people?

Not so much in Arlington when I lived there, but DuPont Circle area in DC, certainly, which is well known as an LBGTQT friendly area and has lots of popular bars and restaurants. When I lived in Arlington, we definitely preferred to go out in DC. How mixed those bars are within...I'm not sure.

have an unsettling feeling that this murder is personal. I find it strangely quiet on the family and friend front. Kind of like in the Suzanne Morphew case.

The family and friend front may be staying quiet because of evidence found at the scene. Depending on the weapon(s) that caused upper body trauma, detectives can figure out if it was a passion filled crime.
Psychology today, 2014, has an article on fusion love. A weaker person identifies with a much stronger individual. If the relationship is terminated or threatened, a desperate male may plot out murder.

My criminal knowledge may be limited; I do not think a hit man was used. It seems too personal. JMO

Attachments

• 7200B198-1C7D-44DE-84CC-FB713E05BD46.jpeg
    7200B198-1C7D-44DE-84CC-FB713E05BD46.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 49
Wow! Amazing find. I'm not sure how it would bubble up if you haven't seen it before but in my view it was posted 4 years ago. I have not looked for videos with him in them though.

Watch the gait as he approaches the camera...hmm. Also the pants. Backpack is super common but still. It's a shame that Scott blocks the view of him walking away. Of course we have no idea if this person is even in the Arlington area or has connections to Scott but it is interesting.

As to the video itself, I suspect it was for a class project or some thing like a communications class where the assignment is to interview someone and then post it on YouTube.

I don't see a problem with the gait there. The yt video is one of the first/few things that comes up if you google Scott's name. I'm sure cops have seen it.

I don't see a problem with the gait there. The yt video is one of the first/few things that comes up if you google Scott's name. I'm sure cops have seen it.
Me neither. I see a young guy moving a little “bear”ish, as we would say it around here. I’m aware bearish is not a word, tough. If this is caused by a heavy backpack or he is just like this, is not clear. But IMO this is way different than the person’s movement in the police video. That person’s right leg is pigeon toed and seems longer than the left.
Although, it could never hurt if the person found this would send it in. Then you can be sure LE can’t miss it.

I hope that local physicians are seeing the surveillance video.
The POI is definitely pigeon toed. Look at the image of his shoes that show the worn heel. It coincides with the gait.

Do family physicians pay attention to surveillance video releases? I doubt they have time to.
I believe that the POI’s family doctor might recognize this person if they saw the video. Same with a dental office or other places that tend to note physical discrepancies.

There has to be someone out there that can connect the dots and notify detectives that they know of a person that resembles the POI

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back