TN - David Vowell, 70, (found deceased), shot and killed two duck hunters, Obion Co., Jan 2021

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
David Vowell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Snips

According to TBI, the deaths occurred on Reelfoot Lake in Obion County on the morning of January 25. The victims were identified as Chance Black, 26, and Zachery Grooms, 25, both of Weakley County.

Field and Stream reported that Reelfoot

According to journalist Nick Beres, a witness says Vowell “had asked to join the duck hunt… and then simply shot the two young men for no apparent reason.”

The Union City Daily Messenger reported that a witness said the men were shot while at a duck blind. Vowell is accused of approaching it alone, coming from another nearby blind, and asking whether he could hunt with the men.

The witness says Vowell then shot the two men without provocation. The witness wrestled the gun away and hit Vowell with the butt of it, the newspaper reported, knocking the older man into the water, along with the gun.

Just a few counties away from me. Reelfoot Lake is a remarkable lake. It's worth reading the history of it's formation.

My heart breaks for all the families involved. I hope they find him soon.

Just a few counties away from me. Reelfoot Lake is a remarkable lake. It's worth reading the history of it's formation.

My heart breaks for all the families involved. I hope they find him soon.

I’m not defending this suspect or his actions, but I do wonder about possible dementia or similar conditions. This just sounds like an impulsive act. It goes without saying, he is very dangerous. Does LE think he’s driving or in the woods? Be aware over there @Melln TN.

This doesn't sound right to me. I don't know what it is but I am suspicious.
MOO

I feel like this too but Field and Stream has an article that talks about this lake having a reputation for conflicts often between outdoors people. Being in a semi nearby rural area (Carolinas) I’ve seen the same conflicts. Firearms and anger can, and is often, a volatile mix.

I feel like this too but Field and Stream has an article that talks about this lake having a reputation for conflicts often between outdoors people. Being in a semi nearby rural area (Carolinas) I’ve seen the same conflicts. Firearms and anger can, and is often, a volatile mix.
Reelfoot Lake sounds like it is right out of the movie Deliverance.

Reelfoot lake is beautiful. Stayed at the lodge there a couple of years ago. Beautiful country around there.

No doubt the entire area is beautiful and I’ve read that the plant diversity in that one region rivals that of Europe. I must admit too that I can’t say that I ever encountered any dicey situations with others in the outdoors there either, or witnessed it nearby.

Agreed, I have this weird feeling David Volwell will be found deceased in the water.

That’s what I was asking about earlier, if this man left his truck and boat then he has to be on foot? We are having a below avg cold snap in this area currently. I think he may have committed suicide somewhere. That terrain and thick brush will make it difficult.

That’s what I was asking about earlier, if this man left his truck and boat then he has to be on foot? We are having a below avg cold snap in this area currently. I think he may have committed suicide somewhere. That terrain and thick brush will make it difficult.
I find it odd the witness made the statement of last seeing Volwell " standing in waist deep water". This is after striking him in the head with the butt of the gun while standing in the boat. I have hard time believing a 70 y/o man would still be standing conscious after being knocked out of a boat.
Two hunters dead, a 70-year-old missing. What happened in this Tennessee duck blind?

Last edited:
Found this article stating the water had risen due to recent rains so they think he is not in the water or maybe been helped out of the water or died of exposure somewhere.
Search halted for double murder suspect at Reelfoot Lake
I noticed this said the witness Crabtree took the gun away from Volwell and took the 2 victims for help. Other articles state he went to get help. Did he actually move the victims into a vehicle taking them somewhere for help? I think this is important because he said he last saw Volwell standing in the water and if he is moving victims Volwell would either still be standing there as he loaded them into vehicle or he would have seen Volwell leave.
Maybe it just poor reporting but this is strange to me.

Last edited:
This link states Volwell had been telling people he was suffering from dementia but LE could not verify because the people stating this are known to Volwell and not a doctors diagnosis. 70-Year-Old Allegedly Killed 2 Duck Hunters, then Fled and Remains on the Run

Just to be fair to people suffering dementia, I’ve a relative with it and tho it was painfully obvious, and she would often complain to people about it, but refused to see a Dr. Arguing with someone who has that disease about a dr is pointless too.

Just to be fair to people suffering dementia, I’ve a relative with it and tho it was painfully obvious, and she would often complain to people about it, but refused to see a Dr. Arguing with someone who has that disease about a dr is pointless too.
I assume this to be the cause of his crime but something seems odd about how the story went down, unless it is bad reporting. To not have found a 70 y/o man dead or alive after being in rain and cold is odd unless he has help.

I assume this to be the cause of his crime but something seems odd about how the story went down, unless it is bad reporting. To not have found a 70 y/o man dead or alive after being in rain and cold is odd unless he has help.

I’ve been thinking that if he was armed and this witness ran away, he could have carjacked someone and made them drive him somewhere.

I’m certainly not defending these actions with my above post but I do wonder if dementia could be a factor. People who have that can be quick to get angry and frustrated.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back