Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t believe he changed his identity. Back then it was so easy to avoid child support. The court order in many instances wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. Especially once the defendant left town. Even more so if he moved often and changed jobs frequently. The court in his home town would eventually give up on the case.

I keep glancing at the thread each day with hope there may be (at least a little) new, solid info on this case. I had to stop speculating and chasing music-related clues (it was making me grumpy :oops:) but it's interesting to read what others have found. Maybe in time there will be more details released. Patience has never been my forte. :(

I just don’t believe he changed his identity. Back then it was so easy to avoid child support. The court order in many instances wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. Especially once the defendant left town. Even more so if he moved often and changed jobs frequently. The court in his home town would eventually give up on the case.
I agree, it wasn't necessary to change ID in those days, the laws, if any, were super weak. However, avoiding child support might explain why he didn't keep in touch with people, or, very sadly, with his children.

I was just wondering about James. He was married and had a child with his ex-wife. He also had another child with someone else which resulted in that awful ad in the paper regarding none payment of child support for a child born out of wedlock (the term seems so archaic now).

He obviously paid out some support but wouldn't he still be on the hook for more child support after the courts went after him in the first place? Does it mean after he paid the arrears amount for child support he continued to send money wherever he was? Or did he leave and just ignore it.

Just ignoring it might have caught up with him eventually since once the courts are involved then your employer can garnish your wages meaning the IRS has been involved as well. Is it possible that James took on another name to avoid any problems? I think it would have been fairly easy back then to come up with a fake ID. Much easier than it is today.
I’m confused, there were two children? I was only aware of one.

Lancaster news paper said he vanished or was last seen Christmas Day 1975. I was just looking at events around December of that year in Lancaster Co. oddly enough that was around the same time (Dec 3, I believe) Lindy Sue Biechler was murdered. Another case I wish would get solved.

Attachments

• 62BA14C2-6CD7-40EA-BDF0-6414CC22507A.png
    62BA14C2-6CD7-40EA-BDF0-6414CC22507A.png
    464.4 KB · Views: 44
Freund was an only child. His father passed in 1966 and mom didn’t pass until 2004. I can’t even imagine her feelings - the grief of deep down already knowing or hoping every knock or call is her long lost son :(
A few days ago, a reddit member posted more details about his life, made also a video.
'The Life of James Freund aka Sumter Jock Doe'

It's important to remember that the child support enforcement system was pretty non-existent on a national level in 1976. That only came into being when technology ramped up in the 1990s along with welfare reforms. Before that time, men could easily take off, start new families and not support the ones they left behind. I knew more than a few kids whose fathers took off and either disappeared entirely or only showed up a few times during their childhoods.

I was just wondering about James. He was married and had a child with his ex-wife. He also had another child with someone else which resulted in that awful ad in the paper regarding none payment of child support for a child born out of wedlock (the term seems so archaic now).

He obviously paid out some support but wouldn't he still be on the hook for more child support after the courts went after him in the first place? Does it mean after he paid the arrears amount for child support he continued to send money wherever he was? Or did he leave and just ignore it.

Just ignoring it might have caught up with him eventually since once the courts are involved then your employer can garnish your wages meaning the IRS has been involved as well. Is it possible that James took on another name to avoid any problems? I think it would have been fairly easy back then to come up with a fake ID. Much easier than it is today.

I keep glancing at the thread each day with hope there may be (at least a little) new, solid info on this case. I had to stop speculating and chasing music-related clues (it was making me grumpy :oops:) but it's interesting to read what others have found. Maybe in time there will be more details released. Patience has never been my forte. :(
I guess it's the mystery of solving their identity that has drawn people in. IMO, we forget that murder was tragically more common in the US in the 70s than now. In 1976 the murder rate was 9 per 100,000, now, it's down to 5. United States Crime Rates 1960 t0 2019

And police had far fewer resources: training, surveillance, forensics, etc, to solve crimes. There were many unsolved murders of hitchhikers: for example 6 cases from the 70s near where I used to live. All those young people are now forgotten. At least these individuals are finally being remembered and mourned, and receive public concern for justice.

Why are we trying to dig up dirt in this man's past? He died not long after his last contact with folks back home in PA. Let's allow him to rest in peace. Let's give his surviving family members some peace.

I guess it's the mystery of solving their identity that has drawn people in. IMO, we forget that murder was tragically more common in the US in the 70s than now. In 1976 the murder rate was 9 per 100,000, now, it's down to 5. United States Crime Rates 1960 t0 2019

And police had far fewer resources: training, surveillance, forensics, etc, to solve crimes. There were many unsolved murders of hitchhikers: for example 6 cases from the 70s near where I used to live. All those young people are now forgotten. At least these individuals are finally being remembered and mourned, and receive public concern for justice.

This is a good point and there was a serial killer right there where these murders occurred who was arrested in Nov of 75. That’s why the copycat theory stays at the top of my thoughts on the who done it part of this.

Why are we trying to dig up dirt in this man's past? He died not long after his last contact with folks back home in PA. Let's allow him to rest in peace. Let's give his surviving family members some peace.

I'm not digging up dirt. I'm trying to see how someone who had to pay child support could avoid it for so long. If he worked and paid taxes then his location would be known. Perhaps people who knew him the last few years of his life did not know him as James Freund.

I'm not digging up dirt. I'm trying to see how someone who had to pay child support could avoid it for so long. If he worked and paid taxes then his location would be known. Perhaps people who knew him the last few years of his life did not know him as James Freund.

We'll have to let the Mods decide on this. Did you realize Pam's sister just passed away the other day? Can we not have some consideration for surviving family members?

We'll have to let the Mods decide on this. Did you realize Pam's sister just passed away the other day? Can we not have some consideration for surviving family members?

I am aware that Pam's sister passed a couple of days ago. I wasn't talking about Pam, I was talking about James. James was a product of his environment, the era, and the social upheaval of the time. So were his children. When LE investigate a murder they have to ask some unpleasant questions about the victim. And sometimes those answers move the investigation to solvability. Sometimes, investigations unearth some unpleasant aspects of murdered people. And sometimes it's those unpleasant aspects of their lives that help solves the crime.

I don’t know if it means anything but looking at James’ hair and cloths at the time of the murders suggest that he was maybe getting a more free spirit. He wasn’t doing drugs or such but he had shaken the “high and tight” military style for surfer hair and sandals. Hardly expected from a 60s military vet. Service is honorable and I’ve never been in anything but the Boy Scouts, I do however know people who served and hated it, only to detest the hair and dress codes.

Pamela’s choice of clothing and hair doesn’t really make me curious. A young lady, musician, being in SC during August wearing shorts and sandals is common. She was well groomed so I still say she recently bathed somewhere near by.

I am aware that Pam's sister passed a couple of days ago. I wasn't talking about Pam, I was talking about James. James was a product of his environment, the era, and the social upheaval of the time. So were his children. When LE investigate a murder they have to ask some unpleasant questions about the victim. And sometimes those answers move the investigation to solvability. Sometimes, investigations unearth some unpleasant aspects of murdered people. And sometimes it's those unpleasant aspects of their lives that help solves the crime.

James was no different from Pam. To imply something nefarious in his background is wrong and against the rules at WS. His children and other family members are also off limits.

James did not cause his own death. His children and family did not cause his death. He did not deserve to be murdered.

While what you note is absolutely true, and I suspect is true with many of our own lives, I would argue that is between the family and LE and doesn’t need to be speculated upon in public forums. You should always assume that family members are reading every word written here.

ITA! (especially BBM part :))

I think it was a general change in fashion, not necessarily means he got more "free spirited". If I look at my dads (born in 1948) pictures when he was out of highschool in tie and suit and very formal and then compare them to his pictures from the mid 1970s, it is very similar. He was never in any military and remained a fairly upper middle class guy. Longer hair and more casual clothing was pretty normal for men mid 70's.
I dont think it has any specific meaning. Just fashion.

I don’t know if it means anything but looking at James’ hair and cloths at the time of the murders suggest that he was maybe getting a more free spirit. He wasn’t doing drugs or such but he had shaken the “high and tight” military style for surfer hair and sandals. Hardly expected from a 60s military vet. Service is honorable and I’ve never been in anything but the Boy Scouts, I do however know people who served and hated it, only to detest the hair and dress codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member