Microwave Popcorn causes lung disease

I think the only danger is if you inhale the butter-flavored powder on a regular basis. It seems to me that the danger lies in wroking in the factory which produces the popcorn, not simply being a consumer. JMO

Susan

I think the only danger is if you inhale the butter-flavored powder on a regular basis. It seems to me that the danger lies in wroking in the factory which produces the popcorn, not simply being a consumer. JMO

Susan

Actually one article I read today - don't have the link - about this issue said that the first case of this disease was recently found in someone who didn't work in the factory but simply ate the butter-flavored popcorn several times a day.

Actually one article I read today - don't have the link - about this issue said that the first case of this disease was recently found in someone who didn't work in the factory but simply ate the butter-flavored popcorn several times a day.

Yep your right, here's the full report from that case and the findings-

First, it is worth looking at Dr. Rose’s letter, in which she described the ways in which this patient’s condition resembled that of the workers who developed lung disease after exposure to flavor chemicals, and the reasoning that went into her decision to alert the regulatory agencies:
1. The patient described progressively worsening respiratory symptoms of cough and shortness of breath. Extensive medical, occupational and environmental history taking did not reveal a known cause for these symptoms. The patient did report daily consumption of several bags of extra butter flavored microwave popcorn for several years.
2. Serial pulmonary function testing revealed progressively worsening fixed airflow limitation without a bronchodilator response and with a normal diffusion capacity for carbon monoxide. This is the pattern of lung physiologic abnormalities described in affected workers.
3. High resolution chest CT scan showed bronchial wall thickening, bronchiectasis, mosaic attenuation and expiratory air trapping. This appearance is similar to the imaging abnormalities reported in affected microwave popcorn factory workers.
4. Lung biopsy showed diffuse hyperinflation, a relative absence of small airways, and bronchioles in various stages of obliteration, findings of bronchiolitis obliterans (BO).
5. The patient’s clinical course has been consistent with that described in microwave popcorn factory workers with BO, with a progressive decline in FEV (Forced Expiratory Volume in the first second, a marker of airflow obstruction) despite treatment with oral corticosteroids. His lung function appears to have stabilized recently with cessation of exposure to butter flavored microwave popcorn.
6. We measured airborne levels of diacetyl during microwave popcorn preparation in the patient’s home and found levels similar to those reported in the microwave oven exhaust area in the quality assurance unit of the microwave popcorn manufacturing plant where affected workers were initially described.

well, I guess I'm glad I never liked popcorn--at the movies it was strictly Raisinets, never popcorn

oh heck this lawsuit went through out town - and won - years ago. milions. we had a popcorn factory. they won all kinds of money. i am going to bet it set presidence for these cases.

My husband has eaten microwave popcorn every night for many years and hasn't had a single problem with it. I really have my doubts about this.

My husband has eaten microwave popcorn every night for many years and hasn't had a single problem with it. I really have my doubts about this.
It isn't the popcorn, it is the ingredient added for the aroma. You would have to work in a popcorn factory and be the guy that smelled the popcorn to get enough in your lungs.

It isn't the popcorn, it is the ingredient added for the aroma. You would have to work in a popcorn factory and be the guy that smelled the popcorn to get enough in your lungs.

True, the same thing happened with nitrates many years ago in hotdogs. It left a mark in people's head as cancer causing but you would have to eat quite a bit of them to have those effects.

Breast Cancer is proven by many studies to be caused by a high fat diet but there are many low carbers out there, not many vegetarians. For me government regulations are not nearly enough and I try and do preventative measures.

I would think that if you ate extra butter popcorn several times a day over a period of many years, lung disease would not be your only health problem.

I would think that if you ate extra butter popcorn several times a day over a period of many years, lung disease would not be your only health problem.

I was thinking the same thing. An extra butter bag of microwave popcorn is like 500 calories I believe. You eat 7 bags in one day, that's 3500 calories, not to mention that it can't be all your eating, otherwise there would be severe health issues. His cholesterol, his weight, his blood pressure, and who knows what else is spiraling out of control.
I love microwave popcorn, but 7 bags a day for several years is just insane. You have to know that you will have terrible health if that's all you give your body. Sucks he has lung disease, but he also did not take care of his body at all.

I totally agree Angelmom!

I would contend that such a vast amount of popcorn everyday indicates that he did not have good eating habits and most likely was at high risk for health problems due to it.

I was thinking the same thing. An extra butter bag of microwave popcorn is like 500 calories I believe. You eat 7 bags in one day, that's 3500 calories, not to mention that it can't be all your eating, otherwise there would be severe health issues. His cholesterol, his weight, his blood pressure, and who knows what else is spiraling out of control.
I love microwave popcorn, but 7 bags a day for several years is just insane. You have to know that you will have terrible health if that's all you give your body. Sucks he has lung disease, but he also did not take care of his body at all.

I think the article said several bags per day, not seven. Either way, dude's gonna get fat.

Hum, is it really the popcorn? I mean maybe this guy has other issues, hard to say though. 2 bags a day is a lot of popcorn to consume.. hum, :waitasec: still wondering about this one.. I eat chocolates everyday, I wonder what they will find in me? :crazy: I know, a smile... hehe Yup, chocolate, the feel good drug..

I think the article said several bags per day, not seven. Either way, dude's gonna get fat.

Doesn't several mean around 7? Even if it's 6, that's insane. If it's 5, that's insane.

oh heck this lawsuit went through out town - and won - years ago. milions. we had a popcorn factory. they won all kinds of money. i am going to bet it set presidence for these cases.

I remember something like this a few years ago.

Doesn't several mean around 7? Even if it's 6, that's insane. If it's 5, that's insane.

I alwaya tought that since a couple is two, several would be three or more, but less than a dozen. Just my preception!

Susan

Ahh, learning. I didn't know that.

Either way, 3 bags of popcorn a day for years is A LOT of popcorn.

I think they need to redo the list to what DOES NOT cause cancer/lung disease/etc. today! I have a feeling it would be a very short list. >wink<

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back