DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
New updates on the spreadsheet.
Charlene's new highest match is 334.7 cM, up from 241.6 cM.
Great news! I'd be surprised if she hasn't been identified for a while by now, however.

Another DDP case is officially confirmed to be solved! One of the Green River victims (Gary Ridgway's victim) known as Jane Doe B-10 has been identified by the DDP team and confirmed by the LE as 14 year old Wendy Stephens (taken from the dedicated thread). She was only 14 years old...

Green River Killer: Youngest victim of serial killer identified
Wow, also great news! Fingers crossed they will be able to identify the other 2 victims as well, B-20 and B-17.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get them to take some of the cases in Monroe County, FL - the Florida Keys. There are a number of unidentified Doe's there; frankly their resources to investigate in that regard is pretty limited because there are so few personnel to do the work.

I've been trying to get them to take some of the cases in Monroe County, FL - the Florida Keys. There are a number of unidentified Doe's there; frankly their resources to investigate in that regard is pretty limited because there are so few personnel to do the work.
Did you contact them directly or did you contact the Law enforcement first? I believe, the DDP only takes cases when they are contacted directly by the law enforcement (I am not sure if this has changed).

Did you contact them directly or did you contact the Law enforcement first? I believe, the DDP only takes cases when they are contacted directly by the law enforcement (I am not sure if this has changed).
As far as I know this is still the case since they don't have time to contact LE offices.

Does anyone else get this message when trying to visit the DDP website?

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

Does anyone else get this message when trying to visit the DDP website?

"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."
I have no message but it is still not opening for me.

Another identification! Evangeline Parish Jane Doe has been identified as Erica Hunt, who went missing in 2016. The postmortem interval was not so big in the end (it was estimated as 5-10 years).

https://www.katc.com/news/around-ac...e-of-opelousas-woman-who-went-missing-in-2018

OPELOUSAS, La. — The Louisiana State Police have identified the skeletal remains found in Evangeline Parish in 2018 as those belonging to Erica Hunt, who went missing in Opelousas in 2016.

According to Tpr. Thomas Gossen, LSP has confirmed that the body of Hunt has been identified and they are treating the case as a homicide.

LSP is leading the investigation along with help from the Evangline Parish Sheriff's Office and the Opelousas Police Department.

Gossen says the remains were originally located in December 2018 in Evangeline Parish while investigators were trying to find a missing boy.

According to OPD, the last time anyone saw Hunt was on July 4, 2016, when she was last seen around a residence located on Hirsch's Alley behind Ray's Boudin off of Vine Street in Opelousas.

Gossen says that the remains were a forensic match for Hunt after being analyzed by the LSU Faces Lab along with the DNA Doe Project.

Last edited:
Does somebody know what DNA not available means? I was reading about Pittsburg county couple (OK), but according to Doenetwork dna is not available, what can be the reason for it?

Last edited:
Does somebody know what DNA not available means? I was reading about Pittsburg county couple (OK), but according to Doenetwork dna is not available, what can be the reason for it?

Often, it's because it's an older case and DNA wasn't taken at the time because DNA comparison hadn't been discovered yet. So to get DNA, the body needs to be exhumed. This can be difficult because sometimes records weren't kept as to where Does were buried and/or they were buried in unmarked graves, sometimes even potter's graves with several others. Exhumation can also be expensive. Sadly, many older Does (especially in California I believe?) were cremated, so ever getting DNA from those cases is near impossible.

Often, it's because it's an older case and DNA wasn't taken at the time because DNA comparison hadn't been discovered yet. So to get DNA, the body needs to be exhumed. This can be difficult because sometimes records weren't kept as to where Does were buried and/or they were buried in unmarked graves, sometimes even potter's graves with several others. Exhumation can also be expensive. Sadly, many older Does (especially in California I believe?) were cremated, so ever getting DNA from those cases is near impossible.
It's not definitively impossible though, I believe Harper Jane Doe and Grant County John Doe are listed as insufficient DNA for profiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member