Deceased/Not Found VA - Melissa Brannen, 5, Lorton, 3 Dec 1989 *C. Hughes guilty*

The original arrest records and trial records of Caleb Hughes would state what his address was at the time. The Washington Post covered this crime in great detail and very likely mentioned his address at some point.

Another great source document for where persons resided was the now archaic and obsolete Phone Directory. They came out every year and if you had a phone, you were in it unless you paid extra for an "unlisted number". Some public libraries have old phone directories and city directories on file.

Well,the big hole in my theory is the fairfax deputy that went by Calebs at 1230 and didn't see his car.Looking for High's convenient store in woodbridge in 89,I guess that place sold a lot of ice cream back then.When looking for High's though,I came across pictures of an abandoned place called story book land,looked really creepy!Opened in 61 closed in 81,that would have been something like out of a movie if he took her there...it made me wonder if Caleb went there as a child.

Well,the big hole in my theory is the fairfax deputy that went by Calebs at 1230 and didn't see his car.Looking for High's convenient store in woodbridge in 89,I guess that place sold a lot of ice cream back then.When looking for High's though,I came across pictures of an abandoned place called story book land,looked really creepy!Opened in 61 closed in 81,that would have been something like out of a movie if he took her there...it made me wonder if Caleb went there as a child.

This 7-11 was a High's convenience store at one time, I believe. He claims to have taken the long route home that night from Woodside Apartments. If so, he would have gone via Lorton Rd., crossed the Occoquan River, and taken a left at Route 123 (a/k/a Gordon Boulevard). He would have gone right past the High's Store (now a 7-11 convenience store). (Just my theory)

Google Maps

This 7-11 was a High's convenience store at one time, I believe. He claims to have taken the long route home that night from Woodside Apartments. If so, he would have gone via Lorton Rd., crossed the Occoquan River, and taken a left at Route 123 (a/k/a Gordon Boulevard). He would have gone right past the High's Store (now a 7-11 convenience store). (Just my theory)

Google Maps
Makes me wonder if the FBI dusted those beer bottles for her prints.He would have talked to her,tried to show some degree of friendliness,maybe gave her some beer for his own amusement.Wouldn't be the first time he contributed to the delinquent of a minor and it would have probably upheld his conviction for "intent to defile".

I'd like to explore the possiblity of a relationship between Caleb Hughes and Randy Breer's.Ironically Caleb from woodbridge and Randy from dale city,VA,both served prison time previous to 89 on nearly the same charges.What do we know?We know Caleb is young,impressionable,didn't have much of a social life,probably had no friends growing up.One day he meets this guy at the bar,he likes this guy because this guy has served not just time but but has served time for the same offense he has.They hit it off smoking marlboros buying each other complimentary glasses of the crap on tap.Randy,see's this young kid,this little googled eyed blonde muffin,that reminds him of him.So he starts talking and telling Caleb more about this thing he does with young girls.Caleb being the young,gulliable,kid that he was just eats it up.Who knows,maybe randy told caleb he could be apart of his little club and Caleb was so excited to be a part of something aside from nothing.Except caleb takes randy's recipe and tweaks it,he kills his victims.The bar that calebs wife kept calling supposedly "looking for him",I wonder if randy ever visited that bar.I know law enforcement there has asked randy(he was the prime suspect) if he killed/raped rosie gordon but did they ever ask him if he knew who did or who he thought who did?

The abduction/murder of Rosie Gordon 2 July 1989) and the abduction (and probable murder) of Melissa Brannen (3 December 1989) occurred 5 months apart. At the time, there was much comparison of the two cases in the local news reporting and both were covered in depth - on TV, radio, and in all newspapers.

It is pretty certain that Caleb Hughes abducted and murdered Melissa. Unfortunately, her body was never found and without a body, the murder charge was not brought. He was found guilty of kidnapping with intent to defile, and given the maximum sentence allowed by law. He completed his prison sentence and was recently released into the public as a registered sex offender.

I have never heard of Hughes being connected with or suspected of being involved with Rosie's abduction/murder or of his being associated closely with other pedophiles. But it is possible that he did know others who shared his same proclivities.

The abduction/murder of Rosie Gordon 2 July 1989) and the abduction (and probable murder) of Melissa Brannen (3 December 1989) occurred 5 months apart. At the time, there was much comparison of the two cases in the local news reporting and both were covered in depth - on TV, radio, and in all newspapers.

It is pretty certain that Caleb Hughes abducted and murdered Melissa. Unfortunately, her body was never found and without a body, the murder charge was not brought. He was found guilty of kidnapping with intent to defile, and given the maximum sentence allowed by law. He completed his prison sentence and was recently released into the public as a registered sex offender.

I have never heard of Hughes being connected with or suspected of being involved with Rosie's abduction/murder or of his being associated closely with other pedophiles. But it is possible that he did know others who shared his same proclivities.
Think about it Richard...you have this guy who was abused as a kid,did'nt learn to make friends,socially awkward,his teacher told the washington times reporter,"I wouldn't have even remembered this kid if you hadn't of asked me."'I mean if these two meet,Randy being older,Caleb looking to fit into any crusted up foul smelling shoe he could fit in.If those two met,it was very likely...and very likely they talked crime stuff,dale city and woodbridge in 89,how big were these towns in 89?Don't forget up to june 89 Caleb was working in springfield or mcClean VA...he could have been spending his time stalking kids after work.Your wrong about one thing Richard...he wasn't found guilty with intent to defile.I just hope the police dispute with the states attorney over the suspect in the Gordon case didn't spill over into the Brannen case back then.

This is where they should search for Melissa,the orange lines would be for past and present flower beds along the fence line.I have read that GPR can give off false data due to moisture in the ground,which summer may be a good time for that.GPR,cadaver dogs,and even metal detectors all at once,2-3 teams.I'm sure her jacket was manufactured with some metal such as buttons and zippers,the knife is probably in there too.Definitely leave it to the pro's,probably have to get all utilities lines marked first...Is it possible for one to use the skills and knowledge obtained from previous employment at a nursery to hide a body?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    85.8 KB · Views: 8
I've been meaning to post this for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it,quite honestly I had to take a break from melissa's case.I think something that should be given consideration is what causes a false positive with luminol.Paint and varnish do which for the time of year could be consistent with "inside work" for a maintenance guy.Copper sulfate which water treatment plants use this and they used to dump this stuff in the Occoquan reserve this stuff doesn't break down easy,Potassium permanganate again used at water treatment plants,griffith opened in 2006 and before that I think the facility was in woodbridge which would have been a mile or so from calebs house at the time.Foods such as banana's,turnips and radish can cause a false positive as well.If it was a false positive then it only fueled the speculation of melissa being buried in prince william forest or thrown in a river,and either of those theories don't make any sense at all.I previously posted that my theory had a hole in it,I think I said that because I was experiencing "burn out",my theory is solid and mechanically sound.I've been focusing on the Rosie Gordon case a lot more lately,I have a very good very plausible hunch on that case as well. I'll post a link to the luminol stuff for those interested.

https://www.bluestar-forensic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/false_positives_2008_study.pdf

33 years ago...

melissa_lee_brannen_4.jpg

Melissa Lee Brannen, age 5
Abducted 3 December 1989

LINK:

I had family who lived here around this time, and I only came across it when I was research the murder of my mom's best friends brother from Dec 1991. Caleb's brother (George "Pit Bull" Hughes) was part of a MC called Fates Assembly. Caleb's brother was the one who blew himself up in a car trying to bomb a pagan's car. So I don't know if that means much but it's what I read in newspapers of connection.

Still missing:

melissa_lee_brannen_4.jpg

Melissa Lee Brannen, age 5
Abducted by Caleb Hughes on 3 December 1989

Caleb Daniel Hughes​

Caleb Daniel Hughes a registered Sex Offender of Virginia

Caleb Daniel Hughes, a registered Sex Offender in ROCKY MOUNT, VA 24151 at Offender Radar

OFFENSES​

• Statute : 7-May-91
  • State Convicted : Virginia
  • Code Section : ABDUCTION OF MINOR FOR IMMORAL PURPOSE
Note the offense for which he was tried and convicted. If Melissa's body were to be found, he could still be tried for her murder.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back