Found Deceased TN - Robert Qucsai III, 42, Cummings Falls State Park, 3 Feb 2021

It seems as if had been extremely focused on hiking since November 2020 (his stats on AllTrail). Maybe he wanted to get away from the problems in his work life, clear his head in nature. I tend to think that the date of his disappearance is just a coincidence, I fear that he had some kind of accident on his latest hike. MOO

Especially if the site is stating that flash flooding happens. That kind of stuff can just catch you unaware.

Cummins Falls reopens after exhaustive search for man still missing
UPDATE: (2/8/21):
  • Cummins Falls State Park has reopened to the public after an exhaustive search for a missing man has yielded no results, state park officials said.
  • ...agencies have searched the park for three days and have not found Qucsaii. They believe he's no longer on the property and opened the park back up to the public on Sunday.

"“I’ve waited a few days to post anything until we had more information which unfortunately we do not,” Carl Qucsai posted. “Officials have searched the park for over the past 48 hours with all the latest technology, dogs, horses and multiple different agencies. Thoughts and prayers at this point would be greatly appreciated.”"

Eric Ward, a spokesperson TN Department of Environment and Conservation, believes that Qucsai is not on the property.

"“Unfortunately, we have not been able to locate the individual. At this point in the search, we believe the individual is no longer on park property,” Ward wrote in an email."

Search called off for area attorney reported missing at Tennessee park

It seems as if had been extremely focused on hiking since November 2020 (his stats on AllTrail). Maybe he wanted to get away from the problems in his work life, clear his head in nature. I tend to think that the date of his disappearance is just a coincidence, I fear that he had some kind of accident on his latest hike. MOO
I looked at his AllTrails entries. He seemed to have been doing a lot of "day trip" type hikes up until then, visiting parks within a 1-2 hour distance from Trenton OH. Cummins Falls would have been 5+ hours drive each direction. Maybe it was an overnight trip? It seemed a bit different from the previous day hikes.

Also, the main hazards there seem to be falls and flash flooding. I couldn't find USGS data for that site specifically, but 2 sites a bit south and north of there don't suggest water levels would have been high that day (Feb 3).

Attachments

• USGS TN.jpg
    USGS TN.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What are y’all’s thoughts on if this decision is related to RQ’s disappearance? The timing really raises my hackles. MOO
The timing of the Court's decision and RQ's disappearance is certainly suspicious to me. I realize that perhaps he may have had an accident while hiking, but it's more likely RQ staged an escape to start over. It seems he's been preparing for a while now. I wish him well. :)

I've snipped a bit of the details surrounding the 17-page certified complaint filed with the disciplinary council. Imo, it speaks for itself. ;)

10. In or around late February or early March 2020, respondent approached Magistrate J. B. in the hallway of the juvenile courthouse.

11. Respondent told Magistrate B. that respondent had decided to stop practicing law. Respondent did not provide any additional information and walked away.

12. Since that conversation, Magistrate B. has not seen or heard from respondent.

15. In or around the second or third week of March, respondent approached R. at the courthouse. Respondent told R. that he was quitting the practice of law and was starting his life over.

16. In violation of Loc.R. 80, respondent failed to file any motions asking to withdraw from his pending cases.

32. Attorney M. N. and respondent were close friends.

33. Around this same time, N. learned that respondent stopped taking juvenile cases.

34. Upon hearing this, N. was concerned and contacted respondent.

35. Respondent told Newland that respondent was leaving the country the following week.

36. Respondent resigned from the Butler County Public Defender’s Office effective March 20, 2020.

37. Upon information and belief, respondent moved to Ocho Rios, Jamaica without filing any motions to withdraw.

135. On July 22, 2020, relator’s investigator, D. H., attempted to deliver that same subpoena to the residential address respondent had registered with the Office of Attorney Services: [DBM], Trenton, Ohio 45067. Respondent was not present, but his father, R. J. Q., Jr. (“Mr. Q., Jr.”), was at the address.

136. H. advised Mr. Q., Jr. that H. was looking for respondent.

137. Mr. Q., Jr. stated respondent had gone to Jamaica in June 2020 and was living in a hotel at an unknown location.

139. Mr. Q., Jr. said he would try to contact respondent.

140. On August 6, 2020, H. attempted to contact Mr. Q., Jr. to follow-up on the request that he contact respondent. H. left a voicemail requesting Mr. Q., Jr. to return the call.

141. Mr. Q., Jr. returned H.’s call on the same day and advised that he told respondent, via Facebook Messenger, that H. wanted respondent to call relator’s office.

142. Mr. Q., Jr. told H. “if you haven’t heard from [respondent] yet, you probably won’t.”

149. To date, respondent has not made any contact with relator’s office.

Online Docket Detail - Board of Professional Conduct

What would be the motive for his hypothetical voluntary disappearance? Did he owe big money to someone? Did someone threaten him? It doesn't seem like he was in danger of being charged of a crime. Did he relocate (temporarily) to Jamaica for the same reason? That time he wasn't really missing, but likely just unreachable. If there is no burden hanging over his head he can start a new career/life without cutting all ties with his family.

The timing of the Court's decision and RQ's disappearance is certainly suspicious to me. I realize that perhaps he may have had an accident while hiking, but it's more likely RQ staged an escape to start over. It seems he's been preparing for a while now. I wish him well. :)

I've snipped a bit of the details surrounding the 17-page certified complaint filed with the disciplinary council. Imo, it speaks for itself. ;)

10. In or around late February or early March 2020, respondent approached Magistrate J. B. in the hallway of the juvenile courthouse.

11. Respondent told Magistrate B. that respondent had decided to stop practicing law. Respondent did not provide any additional information and walked away.

12. Since that conversation, Magistrate B. has not seen or heard from respondent.

15. In or around the second or third week of March, respondent approached R. at the courthouse. Respondent told R. that he was quitting the practice of law and was starting his life over.

16. In violation of Loc.R. 80, respondent failed to file any motions asking to withdraw from his pending cases.

33. Around this same time, N. learned that respondent stopped taking juvenile cases.

35. Respondent told Newland that respondent was leaving the country the following week.

36. Respondent resigned from the Butler County Public Defender’s Office effective March 20, 2020.

37. Upon information and belief, respondent moved to Ocho Rios, Jamaica without filing any motions to withdraw.

135. On July 22, 2020, relator’s investigator, D. H., attempted to deliver that same subpoena to the residential address respondent had registered with the Office of Attorney Services: [DBM], Trenton, Ohio 45067. Respondent was not present, but his father, R. J. Q., Jr. (“Mr. Q., Jr.”), was at the address.

137. Mr. Q., Jr. stated respondent had gone to Jamaica in June 2020 and was living in a hotel at an unknown location.

140. On August 6, 2020, H. attempted to contact Mr. Q., Jr. to follow-up on the request that he contact respondent. H. left a voicemail requesting Mr. Q., Jr. to return the call.

141. Mr. Q., Jr. returned H.’s call on the same day and advised that he told respondent, via Facebook Messenger, that H. wanted respondent to call relator’s office.

142. Mr. Q., Jr. told H. “if you haven’t heard from [respondent] yet, you probably won’t.”

Thanks Yaya. This transcript is a very interesting find. Here's some more info from some sleuthing I did.

RQ's AllTrails account shows a lot of hikes in April and May 2020, then almost none until November 2020, then continuing through Feb 2021. This doesn't mean he wasn't hiking, just maybe not recording hikes on AllTrails. My guess is he could have been doing some hiking challenges like this one. https://www.metroparks.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/TrailsChallenge2021_map.pdf.

His AllTrails reviews, photos, and comments seem quite normal. He seems to favor hikes with gorges and waterfalls, probably is an avid photographer. I didn't see any hikes in Jamaica but there was one hiking trip to NC in 2020. A lot of hikes have pictures of a dog. I don't remember any mention of if he had one with him at Cummins Falls.

I get the impression he was winding down the law career and just lost interest in it. A lot of people have turned to hiking during the pandemic. Trail use has at least doubled in my area and it's harder to find quiet uncrowded trails , especially on weekends, even in February. It's great unless you're the overworked parks employees on pre-pandemic salaries and budgets.

I think the pandemic shut down a lot of courts in March-April 2020 and created a lot of chaos before they re-started. A news article from August 2020 suggests RQ had at some point in 2020 returned to practicing law:
Man accused of setting huge Middletown warehouse fire declared competent for trial

I don't know. I get the impression he just found different priorities in life. If that's the case, then losing his law license wouldn't seem in itself a big enough concern to deliberately disappear. I tend to think it's a case of misadventure or accident.

Wow! TYSM YaYa! Guess I can cross this one off my worry list.

His friends in Facebook could probably educate us as to his state of mind. He walked away from his legal career, stopped representing his clients, made the Court find other attorneys for his case load, told a judge he wasn't practicing anymore despite having currently assigned cases, went to Jamaica (why didn't he stay?), then returned to this area and enjoyed hiking the area parks with dogs (whose dogs are these, probably his Dad's) and sometimes with his friends. Surely, he talked about his ambitions, or lack of ambitions, with his friends. He does not appear to be wealthy, and has chosen a course that disbars him. After so many years of schooling, why choose to be disbarred to end your legal career. There are certainly less drastic ways to change careers. Many lawyers don't practice, but they're still lawyers. Bob chose a different path, and I'd like to hear from his friends as to his state of mind. How and where has he been living. My thought is he's been living with his Dad. Credit cards and bank account activity are the key. Alas, I think his body is in the park, or somewhere you could walk to from the park. Bob Qucsai

I haven't seen any indication that he was carrying a backpack or any other items of clothing. If he became lost or injured and was there overnight, those overnight temperatures are pretty concerning.
Dark pants and a gray hoodie were the clothes he was believed to be wearing. I did find one bit of info. It was the presence of the car that alerted rangers to the possibility that he might still be in the park, as opposed to a phone call or missing persons report. So, what are the possibilities: a) he's still in the park, b) he walked out of the park; c) he rode out of the park with someone by another vehicle.

This is probably been posted before, but here is his alltrails account. Robert Qucsai. I can see I've been slacking in my Ohio hiking. I've been to some of these but Bob seems to be fulfilling a bucket list to visit them all. Not sure why he chose Cummins, but it is not as far away as it seems. It's a five hour drive from Trenton, OH

Don't cell phones ping towers continuously while they have a charge? Shouldn't law enforcement have access to the last tower pinged by his cell phone? He seemed to always have his cell phone with him and frequently posted pictures to social media.

This is probably been posted before, but here is his alltrails account. Robert Qucsai. I can see I've been slacking in my Ohio hiking. I've been to some of these but Bob seems to be fulfilling a bucket list to visit them all. Not sure why he chose Cummins, but it is not as far away as it seems. It's a five hour drive from Trenton, OH
Yes, I had no idea there were that many great hikes and waterfalls in the Dayton/Cincy area.

This is such a sad tale to me. Bob was brilliant. Summa *advertiser censored* Laude in High School. *advertiser censored* Laude in College. Double-major. Then Law School. I found he had engaged a "life coach" a few year years ago. Every couple of days a different park, a different hiking spot, like he was searching for something. I'd like to think he's just hiding out somewhere. A few minutes ago a deceased male body was found north of Cookeville in a wooded area near water. That's a distance of 9 miles from the falls. Detectives are working on identification. I hope it isn't him, but I have such dread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back