Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #5

RIP in Faye, I don't doubt the man accused was responsible but I would have liked a final report on this case. How she was taken etc. I guess only family has that right.
If there were any evidence of how she was taken, I think she would have been found sooner - and there's no statement from the suspect either.

She was simply taken, by an non-suspicious complete stranger while she played right in front of her home and was dead hours later.

This is the most horrifying case this year. There's nothing any of us could have done to prevent it and all the painted rocks and rainbow windows and pink benches and plaques and trees will never make it right but I hope they can help those affected the most by this find some measure of peace.

As for me, every reminder makes me literally sick.

RIP in Faye, I don't doubt the man accused was responsible but I would have liked a final report on this case. How she was taken etc. I guess only family has that right.
Even tho we may never know the details, I pray LE learned from this case. May they learn additional signs or subtle overtures with criminals that help them save the next little one.

From the link, this is painful -- 11 kids per day:

“In 2019, there were 4,378 missing children in the state of South Carolina,” said Alex Schelble, SLED missing person’s information coordinator.

That’s around 11 children per day; 11 families terrified they may never see their sons or daughters again.
If it makes you feel any better 10 of those 11 just didn't let their parents know where they were and are home by the next day and the 1's location is known, almost always with a noncustodial family member. Also about 8 or 9 of them of them are teens.

The Cayce Department of Public Safety, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the Department of Natural Resources and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were just a few of the many agencies involved in this intense three-day search in the Churchill Heights Neighborhood.

Nearly a year later, Cayce DPS Chief Byron Snellgrove said the investigation is still open.

"There's still some evidence that's out there that we have not received reports on, that's still being looked at. And once we receive that, we'll close the case. I don't think that there's anything out there that's going to change any opinion of what we have on the case, or any outcome of the case," said Snellgrove.

"We are doing more training. We are now much more sensitive to issues that come up with children," said Snellgrove.

"FBI is actually using some of this case to train nationwide now. How they should react to an abduction or a missing child like this, and they use this case as an example of how it should be done," said Snellgrove.

Each school in Cayce has a resource officer, and since Faye's tragic story, it has become even more important for officials to educate children.

"They're always talking to the kids about what they need to do if they see something suspicious. What they need to report. How they need to react if something happens," said Snellgrove.

WACH FOX News learned that there are several officers in Cayce DPS that are of retirement age, and since the investigation, five officers had retired. While officials said Faye's death has taken an emotion and mental toll, they want to cherish the good memories.

"That portrait hangs up in my office. It was done by the wife of one of my employees. Keeps her, keeps her in our hearts," said Snellgrove.
Police: Faye Swetlik's investigation still open, case used in FBI trainings

"FBI is actually using some of this case to train nationwide now. How they should react to an abduction or a missing child like this, and they use this case as an example of how it should be done," said Snellgrove.

Respectively snipped & BBM.

This statement makes me wonder if the local LE didn’t handle Faye’s case the way they should have. Rather perhaps the FBI made it known that it should have been handled differently??
IRDK what to make of that comment. MOO.

ETA: @imstilla.grandma

Respectively snipped & BBM.

This statement makes me wonder if the local LE didn’t handle Faye’s case the way they should have. Rather perhaps the FBI made it known that it should have been handled differently??
IRDK what to make of that comment. MOO.

ETA: @imstilla.grandma

I remember LE being super methodical with the way they searched for this poor little girl. They zeroed in on the bad guy fast, but the end was still tragic. I read the below statement as LE handled this case well and the FBI uses it as a example of how child abductions should be handled. IMO

The Cayce Department of Public Safety, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the Department of Natural Resources and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were just a few of the many agencies involved in this intense three-day search in the Churchill Heights Neighborhood.

Nearly a year later, Cayce DPS Chief Byron Snellgrove said the investigation is still open.

"There's still some evidence that's out there that we have not received reports on, that's still being looked at. And once we receive that, we'll close the case. I don't think that there's anything out there that's going to change any opinion of what we have on the case, or any outcome of the case," said Snellgrove.

"We are doing more training. We are now much more sensitive to issues that come up with children," said Snellgrove.

Each school in Cayce has a resource officer, and since Faye's tragic story, it has become even more important for officials to educate children.

"They're always talking to the kids about what they need to do if they see something suspicious. What they need to report. How they need to react if something happens," said Snellgrove.

WACH FOX News learned that there are several officers in Cayce DPS that are of retirement age, and since the investigation, five officers had retired. While officials said Faye's death has taken an emotion and mental toll, they want to cherish the good memories.

"That portrait hangs up in my office. It was done by the wife of one of my employees. Keeps her, keeps her in our hearts," said Snellgrove.

The most valuable learning experience is one where everything is done as perfectly as it is currently understood to do and we still fail. When mistakes are made, we can easily say the problem was the mistakes. When no mistakes are made we are able to say "how can we do this even better in the future?"

One year later, Faye Swetlik’s parents mourn her death

Feb 10, 2021

I6HBZMOT3NCDXLAO4H46ULJ44U.jpg

Faye’s mother, Selena Collins, and her father, Chad Swetlik, have spent the last year trying to process what happened to their bright and innocent little girl, while also trying to keep her memory alive.

“There was a decent amount of time that I was refusing to face what happened,” said Collins.

Collins wants people to remember Faye’s smile and her love and compassion for others. But most importantly, rather than focusing on how Faye died, her parents want people to remember how she lived.

[;;]

Faye’s laughs, smile, and spunky personality made her easy to love.

“She had boundless energy from the moment she woke up to the moment she went to sleep,” Collins laughed. “She was on ten 100 percent of the time.”

The inquisitive and adventurous 6-year-old loved animals, school, and make-up a lot.

“It was a struggle almost every morning, whenever she got up to brush her teeth and hair and get ready for school that she could not wear purple eyeshadow to school,” said Collins. “So, sometimes we had to have a compromise, and that day she wore purple eyeshadow to school because we could not miss the bus.”

FEB 10, 2021
'God's Little Angel.' Remembering the life of Faye Marie Swetlik | wltx.com
[...]

"She was the epitome of that child-like energy that everyone wishes that they had from the moment that she woke up in the morning to the moment that she laid her head down at night," said Collins. "It was go, go, go, go, go, go."

Because of that energy, Faye rarely stopped to eat. She could be seen running around playing while having chicken nuggets in her hand.

[...]

The six-year-old also never wanted people to be sad. She made every effort to make sure the people around her were happy.

"She was always willing to be anybody’s friend," explained Collins. "She wanted to be everybody’s friend. No matter who you were or what you looked like or what you did, she wanted to be your friend.”

[...]

Director Snellgrove believes the investigation has had a tremendous impact on his department.

"We had several officers within the department that were of retirement age and had the years in to do that, it affected them enough to where they over a six-month period of time to decide to retire," said Snellgrove. "So we lost five of our officers to retirement after this case."

[...]

A portrait of the six-year-old is placed in Director Snellgrove's office as a reminder of Faye. He says a wife of one of his officers made the portrait.

When Director Snellgrove spoke with News 19, he wanted to say this to Faye:

“Faye, little girl, your life was a blessing and touched so very many. Your beautiful smile lit up a room every time you entered it. You touched the heart of every person that you encountered. Your memory remains a treasure for those you left behind and it always will. We know that you are now one of God’s little angels looking upon and guiding us as you fly high above... So fly high and watch over us. Fly high, God’s little angel, Faye Marie Swetlik.”

7a47eb02-d575-495b-9b03-12f4df1ad540_1140x641.jpg

* Gallery with 23 photos from Faye's family in the article

Is this case still open? I'm still not convinced they have the right guy for this

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back