CA CA - Sonoma Co., WhtFem, ~19, red hair, contact lenses, hog-tied, Jul'79

Now that there's finally a composite for her, side-by-sides of Paula Ann Pope and Calistoga Jane Doe (center):
paula_ann_pope_1.jpg
1525UFCA1_LARGE.jpg
paula_ann_pope_2.jpg
I see the resemblance!

Wow, shadow, looks like you have something. Have you submitted it to the authorities?
Yes, I originally did back in March 2018 (post #62 on the thread) but at the time they couldn't be compared because Paula only had DNA as an identifier and Calistoga Jane Doe only had dentals available. However, according to her Doe Network page now CJD does have a DNA sample available that was likely just developed recently. Since a comparison is going to be possible at this time I'm going to submit her again now just to be sure. I honestly would be surprised if Paula wasn't already on the authorities' radar at this point, along with Peggy Reed as possibilities for this UID.

They won't be able to rule out any MP's who lack dental records because they do not have Calistoga Jane Doe's DNA, correct? I'm still very hung-up on Peggy Ann Reed, who has been ruled out for I believe 3 UID's at this point, so they have something of hers to use as comparison. It looks like NamUs isn't even telling us if there's DNA in CODIS or dentals at this point, but CJD still has no comparisons listed, leading me to believe they might have no way of doing so. Does anybody know? Anyone with *patience* could contact Sonoma County.

They won't be able to rule out any MP's who lack dental records because they do not have Calistoga Jane Doe's DNA, correct? I'm still very hung-up on Peggy Ann Reed, who has been ruled out for I believe 3 UID's at this point, so they have something of hers to use as comparison. It looks like NamUs isn't even telling us if there's DNA in CODIS or dentals at this point, but CJD still has no comparisons listed, leading me to believe they might have no way of doing so. Does anybody know? Anyone with *patience* could contact Sonoma County.
Peggy Ann Reed
Doesn't seem like her dental records are available.
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.14.50 PM.png

Does anyone think Pamela Jean Spencer is a good candidate?

Stat comparison:

Spencer was 20; Jane Doe is estimated to be 16-21
Spencer's hair color was black; Jane Doe's hair was brown or auburn (red-brown)
Spencer was 5'1''; Jane Doe is estimated to be 5'3"
Spencer was known to wear contact lenses; contact lenses were found in a metal tin alongside Jane Doe
Spencer vanished on January 26, 1973; Jane Doe was found in 1979 and is estimated to have died between 1972-1976

Spencer's niece on her WS thread said that her aunt was driving her van from New York to California to see her boyfriend at a friend's house in Santa Monica. She brought her dog along for the ride. She was in contact with her boyfriend up until the day before she was supposed to arrive. The van was found abandoned along a highway in Santa Monica with all of her possessions inside, but I don't know if the contact lenses were recovered. Neither Pamela or her dog were seen or heard from again.

Stat comparison:

Spencer was known to wear contact lenses; contact lenses were found in a metal tin alongside Jane Doe
Spencer vanished on January 26, 1973; Jane Doe was found in 1979 and is estimated to have died between 1972-1976

Spencer's niece on her WS thread said that her aunt was driving her van from New York to California to see her boyfriend at a friend's house in Santa Monica. She brought her dog along for the ride. She was in contact with her boyfriend up until the day before she was supposed to arrive. The van was found abandoned along a highway in Santa Monica with all of her possessions inside, but I don't know if the contact lenses were recovered. Neither Pamela or her dog were seen or heard from again.

Compiled list of all the articles I could find on her:

1670487265400.png
The Petaluma Argus-Courier, July 7th, 1979, pg 1.

1670488273152.png
The Press Democrat, July 9, 1979, pg 3

1670487513808.png
The Sacramento Bee, July 10, 1979, pg 5

sonoma co jane doe 2.PNG
Capture.PNG
The Petaluma Argus Courier, July 10, 1979, pg 1-2

1670488096549.png
The Press Democrat, July 11, 1979, pg 14

santa rosa 1989.PNG
1989 sonoma county.PNG
The Press Democrat, March 5, 1989, page 1-2.

View attachment 385846

View attachment 385854

View attachment 385848

View attachment 385852
View attachment 385851

View attachment 385853

View attachment 385858
View attachment 385859
Great! Thanks.

View attachment 385846

View attachment 385854

View attachment 385848

View attachment 385852
View attachment 385851

View attachment 385853

View attachment 385858
View attachment 385859
I don't love that Kamahele's dental chart was redone from memory. She's never been found, while these remains are the only ones of the bunch that were never identified.

I fully believe this Jane Doe is Peggy Reed. I just hope a comparison gets done at some point

Stat comparison:

Was Pamela ever submitted? Seems very possible to me!

At 1510 hours on 2 July 1979, the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office received a report that a human skeleton had been found near the 2000 block of Calistoga Road. The remains were spotted by hikers on the bank of a creek, down an embankment dropping off the road's summit between Santa Rosa and Calistoga.

As the aged bones were firmly embedded,a forensic anthropologist was called upon for their removal. He used his expertise to gather the bones. No clothing or shoes were found.This naturally marked the remains as belonging to a homicide victim.

Crime scene analysis revealed that the killer seemed to have begun descending a fire trail before flinging his victim down the bank. Not so incidentally, a previous Santa Rosa hitchhiking murder victim had been dumped only a hundred yards from the fire trail—Lori Lee Kursa. CA - CA - Lori Kursa, 13, Santa Rosa, 1 Dec 1972.

Calistoga Jane Doe had been hogtied like two of the previous Santa Rosa Hitchhike victims, Kim Wendy Allen CA - CA - Kim Allen, 19, Santa Rosa, 4 March 1972 and Theresa Walsh CA - CA - Theresa 'Terri' Walsh, 23, Santa Rosa, 26 Dec 1973.Her remains were similar in size to a missing young woman purported to be another victim—Jeanette Kamahele CA - CA - Jeannette Kamahele, 20, Santa Rosa, 25 April 1972.However, a check of dental records soon revealed that Jeannette had not been found.

One of the few forensic clues found was a hard contact lens. Because they were withdrawn from use in the mid-1970s, when soft contact lenses came on the market, it was believed that Calistoga Jane Doe had been murdered sometime between1972 and 1974.

In the end, it was discovered that she had been about 5 feet 5 inches tall, had reddish-brown hair, had a healed rib fracture, and been about 19 years old. That's pitifully sparse information.

Calistoga Jane Doe is usually regarded by LE as the eighth and last Santa Rosa Hitchhiker victim.

Sources: “Lost Coast Highway” by Gray George, pages 222 – 234

News clippings (apparently from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat):

8 July 1979: http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com/articles/doe/bones_tell_tortured_tale_of_murder.pdf

11 July 1979: http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com/articles/doe/skeleton_dental_charts_to_be_checked.pdf

I would like to comment that I wore glasses from the time I was 13 then migrated to hard contact lenses in the mid to late 70s. I was unable to wear soft contact lenses when they were introduced because of astigmatism. Soft contacts literally folded every time I blinked my eyes.

It wasn't until gas permeable lenses were introduced that I could ditch the hard lenses so it doesn't necessarily follow that just because a hard contact lens was discovered with the body it suggested her death was earlier. I would also like to mention, that hard lenses had a habit of popping out of your eye when you did things like blink while looking quickly sideways or wiping sweat from your eyes, so the lens may have belonged to the killer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back