GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #26

Do you think he has a chance of appealing the sentence or do you think probably a fair amount of time and not a chance of reducing it?

My bet is that he will go for an appeal - he has no remorse, that I can see, so he won't mind putting her family through further torment.

From memory, I think he has 28 days to indicate his intention to appeal. How long it takes after that - who knows ? could be a while if there are backlogs in the system.

This stayed in my mind from the day I read this, I honestly believe he did it. Poor woman :(

Moo imo etc

Things I'm pondering -

Presumably judge's remarks are carefully crafted because it will be those remarks used when the time comes for his release to determine his dangerousness. So fairly important.

In the defence's submissions they said "“The concealment: It is an aggravating feature, I can’t and don’t suggest otherwise but there is a live issue whether it was that that killed her. I repeat, it is an aggravating feature.”

It seems very unclear without knowing exactly how the jury decided on the murder, whether they might have thought he raped her and threw her in the river alive?

Does the judge not have to be more specific about that assault and specify that he asphyxiated Libby? I'm not sure how she can be certain what the jury decided?

It doesn't seem satisfactory to me that she would just remark "Having raped Liberty you assaulted her and put her body, dead or dying, into the tidal river. I have no doubt that your purpose in doing so was to conceal her body" and "I also accept that you may not have intended to kill Liberty but only cause her serious bodily injury."

I would think she needed to be more specific, but maybe she couldn't be? I suppose we will find out if there is an appeal.

MOO

Wow

Big sentence. I expected more like 20 but I guess the aggravated context juiced it up

In reality this creep may never get out before he is an old man

His sentence is more than the time he has spent alive so far (26), that should make him think. Not the best time to be in prison during the pandemic either, as most prisons are on a 22 or 23 hour lockdown with prisoners largely confined to cells.

He'll probably go to Frankland or Wakefield. You don't want to be there, he'll be rubbing shoulders with some really bad eggs.

What I meant after 27 years if he gets a parole.

They will decide at the point if he is fit for release. If the do release him (at any point) it will be on licence which means he will be regularly monitored by probation and all of the other relevant agencies and if he commits any other crime he will be sent straight back to prison. It is much more complicated and nuanced than what I have just written, but it gives you an idea in a very basic nutshell.

Who knows. Probably too far in the future to call that one to be honest.
Im asking because many years ago there was a case of another Pole in UK accused of rape. The victim fell unconscious, was in a coma and then disabled for life. There was a great scandal in Poland about this case. Well, the man was sentenced for many years. Then after some time in British jail he managed to return to Poland to carry on his sentence here. Not so long ago I saw his photo in Polish press and was shocked to learn that his British sentence was reduced considerably in Poland. He is now leading normal life. Got married, has children. I really dont understand how this works.

Dbm Double post

Last edited:
Im asking because many years ago there was a case of another Pole in UK accused of rape. The victim fell unconscious, was in a coma and then disabled for life. There was a great scandal in Poland about this case. Well, the man was sentenced for many years. Then after some time in British jail he managed to return to Poland to carry on his sentence here. Not so long ago I saw his photo in Polish press and was shocked to learn that his British sentence was reduced considerably in Poland. He is now leading normal life. Got married, has children. I really dont understand how this works.

No me either. A polish guy I am aware of has just had his deportation from the UK back to Poland cancelled (long story he is still in prison but not for anything violent) so maybe each case is taken on its merits and there is no set rule.

This might help @Dotta

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/PIB-Foreign national prisoners.pdf

Personally, it pains me that we now have to pay millions to keep him locked up here. I would much rather foreign nationals were allowed to serve sentences in their home countries (and ditto when Brits offend abroad).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back