Netflix - Elisa Lam

leaves

Reaction score
Second episode in on the netflix doc.
First of all the hotel manager I get a bad vibe from. There's something I don't like about her. Second did the police find out what floor she was on when she kept looking out the elevator? Did they interview the people on that floor she kept jumping out on? What were the complaints from the other girls she was bunking with it? What day did she fill the scripts and how many pills were left on the last day She was alive. I think she was talking to someone down the hall and someone was holding the button. Did they interview the girls she bunked with? Was she sexually assaulted and then forced into the tank? Was it about humiliation? They made her take her clothes off and threw them in the tank and she jumped in to get them, then the people closed the lid. I do think it was someone who knew the building so a long time resident or someone who worked there. Oh and what was the book about, the one from the book store? The amount of time and being in water diminishes evidence. Lots of crazy coincidences, I definitely don't think the metal rocker killed Elisa. I think it's stupid to connect him to it.

Last edited:
I think she was murdered. I think pablo should sue YouTube for allowing destruction of his career and his reputation because that was so wrong how people treated him. And why the hell they closed his account!?? Did they talk to the police? No they go by idiots! Lol
I think the guests who used Elisa water should have sued the hotel. That's canabalism its so gross. Did they get sick?? That's awful. I bet the English couple never want to come back to America again. I think the hotel manager acted weird during this doc. She laughed, smiled, didn't seem sorry at all for Elise, and calls her mom before the police that's sus to me, and she was bad and dishonest about her job. In what way you ask? Well her job was to clean it up, fix it up, make it better. The guests said it was a dirty dump. What was she doing all day? Everytime she spoke, ugh got a bad vibe from her. I think the police wanted to search the hotel and she said we have got 600 closets! That's weird why would you say that? You should be like what took you so long to search? Yess search everywhere!! I think elise's body was in a closet, maybe they tried to subdue her and her weird behavior, maybe she was angry being forced to another room or maybe they moved her stuff while she was out and she became upset when she couldn't find her meds and somewhere it went bad she became unconscious and they took off her clothes to make it look like she was assaulted and in the closet she went. Then the manager was like oh we got to do something about her body and 2 people took her out to the tanks in something or wrapped in Something and dumped her in the tank naked with her clothes and didn't cover the lid bc police were coming soon. Or the girls she was bunking with had a roof party discovered the tanks, lured Elisa out to the roof and somehow got her clothes off to humiliate her and threw them in the tank and she jumped in to get them thinking she could get out but couldn't and drowned.

First of all the hotel manager I get a bad vibe from. There's something I don't like about her. Second did the police find out what floor she was on when she kept looking out the elevator? Did they interview the people on that floor she kept jumping out on? What were the complaints from the other girls she was bunking with it? What day did she fill the scripts and how many pills were left on the last day She was alive. I think she was talking to someone down the hall and someone was holding the button. Did they interview the girls she bunked with? Was she sexually assaulted and then forced into the tank? Was it about humiliation? They made her take her clothes off and threw them in the tank and she jumped in to get them, then the people closed the lid. I do think it was someone who knew the building so a long time resident or someone who worked there. Oh and what was the book about, the one from the book store? The amount of time and being in water diminishes evidence. Lots of crazy coincidences, I definitely don't think the metal rocker killed Elisa. I think it's stupid to connect him to it.

Omg, I can’t even start to comment on the inconsistencies in the Netflix documentary and the responses by even the Web Sleuths! Look at the body language from the Mexican Mechanical worker, to the Coroner, the manager, the cops and even the Sleuths, everyone looks down when they say it was an accident! Literally! Listen folks, this is not my first rodeo on “what happened to someone” and I’m so not a conspiracy theorist at all, but everyone here just seems to give up all of a sudden! What?? Wow, someone somewhere certainly got paid off, I guarantee you...wow.

I agree there were many unanswered questions and plot holes in the Netflix documentary. I did feel bad for Morbid, despite the crazy coincidences, I don’t think he had anything to do with the murder. I think one of the major things the doc failed to include were the exact statements or interviews of her bunk mates, and her family, and like you mentioned I was also interested to know what books she bought.

First off, I'd like to say this is going to be long, and I am no means a investigator or anything, I'm a computer analyst. BUT After binging this series and reading about this for years I've got a few questions.

Firstly, and most importantly in my opinion. Both LAPD and the maintenance worker say the lid was ajar at the end of the series, but at the beginning when the search began I recall an officer saying it was closed, and in many documention it is said it is closed, so first a huge flag. But if in fact it was open like they say, then while they searched the roof with the sniffer hounds and helicopter hovered above with a SPOTLIGHT someone should've seen the ajar door, or at least with door being open and with the start of decomposition allow for the hounds to in fact smell her easily. And if the door was ajar bugs and such would've been making their way to her since some of her body would've been at the surface, and not to mention the smell coming from the open lid since the LA sun was baking down on the tanks heating them and the water. They had evidence of multiple people being up there, but no one smelled anything.... So with that there lies a huge issue with either details or work ethic.

Secondly, the autopsy. I've never studied in this field, but I've witnessed a few things that occurred in my life that are similar. Her drowning just isn't plausible to me. A cousin fell in a pool and she got tangled in the cover and basically couldn't get out from under it. She drowned, but her husband didn't find her till about 3 days later(business trip) she had immense amounts of water in her lungs according to doctors, and they found insects in her that were able to tell the date of death. So I don't understand how she had no water at all in her lungs. Or the fact she was naked, I get them saying so she could reduce her weight while treading water, but she was fully naked. Why would she remove her underwear and bra considering it's basically just a bikini, and it that would most likely feel natural.

And when they ran there rape kit I just found it pointless. I was raped a long time ago, and before I reported and went to the police I showered(if you know you know, you don't want to fill dirty anymore) , and because of that the rape kit was useless or so I was told by police and a nurse. So I don't see how a rape kit could even be thought of performing since she was soaking in water for at most 19 days. Or trying to scrap skin from her nails, I just felt like they were doing it to say they tried but new it was nothing.

Lastly, her state of mind and video itself. The LAPD claims they slowed the video down and such. That is believable, but with all of the accusations of them being apart of it would you not find it more beneficial to release the original tape since the retired officer in the series says they still have it in evidence. If they released it fully untouched no one could point out the obvious edit that just doesn't occur, and the time stamp can be shown clearly. I don't see why that information needs hidden now since they've ruled and settled everything now. And the notes she was leaving and how she locked people out, is kinda giving me fear vibes like she knew something others didn't and was maybe trying to throw it out there to her other female roommates. Unless she was schizophrenic with her depression which has not been released or said I believe.

In conclusion, I just don't see how so many trained police officers AND dogs could make so many "human errors" and "overlooking" they did during the entire investigation on the roof. The way the body was found and handled is just very odd to me, and to me it seems police ran a rape kit to seem like they're doing everything, but knew it was pointless. Lastly I feel most of the discomfort and untrust with police could be solved if they would just release the original tape since there's no point to hide it anymore unless there's something there.

And off topic, but I find it so very disrespectful of the way Netflix portrayed this poor girl. They made it seem like she was a sad lost girl who just up and killed her self on a whoopsie. And I find that awful. I just don't see that from her, I see someone who was so happy to find the right depression meds, finding her way in the world, and finally trying to find herself like everyone her age. If you're depressed and you finally find a medication that makes you feel better and allows you to function you just don't stop. They seem to demean her so much, and they seem to just claim it a accidental suicide basically. AND then the new hotel owners want to build a wading pool(legit a pool where you float for hours) and bar on the roof where she died... seems a little suspicious...

I see how it could've been accidental, but there's just some odd things that stuck out to me after seeing the series. I'd love so chit chat to anything if it's already been discussed.

You make some interesting points here. In relation to the police not finding her body in the initial search of the roof I was thinking maybe her body could have been put in here after their search? I’m not sure how possible this would be with such a strong police presence already at the hotel though. Just a thought.

I never knew about this case, but I watched the doc on Netflix and I am full of questions too:
- How is it that people on internet realised that she was on the 14th floor, and not the police?
- Did they talk with the girls that were her roomate, to explain her odd behaviour?
- How come if they saw she never got out of the hotel, took them 19 days to find her? I mean come on, I would have looked everywhere. The search on the roof is just...what policeman goes to find something and doesn't look everywhere for evidence?

I don't know, but I don't think we will ever find the truth. So sad..

I never knew about this case, but I watched the doc on Netflix and I am full of questions too:
- How is it that people on internet realised that she was on the 14th floor, and not the police?
- Did they talk with the girls that were her roomate, to explain her odd behaviour?
- How come if they saw she never got out of the hotel, took them 19 days to find her? I mean come on, I would have looked everywhere. The search on the roof is just...what policeman goes to find something and doesn't look everywhere for evidence?

1. They examined the video and got on the elevator to make a conclusion.
2. Good question, I don't think they mentioned in the documentary, the cops asking the roommates, but I have to think the cops would have done so.
3. Because they did not look in the tanks (unfortunately, cops seem to do this all the time, remember JonBenet's body in the house?)

Her behavior indicates, to me, that no one is standing outside the elevator doors or even in the hallway. Despite her hitting many buttons in the elevator, I would think you would not risk going into the hallway if someone was there, but instead keep hitting buttons until that door closed.

I found it fascinating, the outliers with the case (zip code registered with the book store, the name of the TB test relative to the victim's, that complete freak musician, etc.). However, I agree with the findings of coroner and police. She suffered from a psychotic episode that resulted in her death.

Something is odd about that case and I just can't seem to put my finger on it.... I mean they sent helicopters up and everything how come they never saw the body.....

Something is odd about that case and I just can't seem to put my finger on it.... I mean they sent helicopters up and everything how come they never saw the body.....

The body was in the tank. The top of the tank was closed to the outside save for an access hole. Wow, just thought of something. At the end, the maintenance man said the lid was off when he made the discovery. I wonder if video was taken of the roof from the helicopter and if so, was the lid on or off? If it was off, that should have been an indicator to an observer on the helicopter to direct a search of the tanks.

They made it seem like she was a sad lost girl who just up and killed her self on a whoopsie.
I don't think they made it seem like she killed herself. I think it is pretty clear they made it sound like Elisa suffered from a psychotic episode that resulted in an accidental drowning. This conclusion, that she suffered from a psychotic episode, is bolstered by the psychiatrist, Elisa's sister, hotel staff, and the pathologist.

When we first hear from the maintenance man, he says the lid was open when he looked in and saw Elisa. Then he closed it.
The last episode, he is filmed stating that it was open when he looked in and saw her.
The information has been out there as stated by this witness to the scene.
It was misstated in the news that the lid was closed.
Sensationalized to infinity and beyond.

The thing that gets me the most how long she was in there and nobody noticed until two weeks later? Not sure if this has been brought up but I don't think she was in there for more than a couple of days, and I do not think that she had a mental break. She was missing for at least a week before she went in that water tank. Just my personal opinion... with the amount of crazy activity in the hotel who would notice a girl in distress/yelling?

Edited: Think about the staircase of the fire escape, if someone was after her saw her go out the window on the fire escape and is used to the building, could they not have gotten up there before her trapping her?

Omg, I can’t even start to comment on the inconsistencies in the Netflix documentary and the responses by even the Web Sleuths! Look at the body language from the Mexican Mechanical worker, to the Coroner, the manager, the cops and even the Sleuths, everyone looks down when they say it was an accident! Literally! Listen folks, this is not my first rodeo on “what happened to someone” and I’m so not a conspiracy theorist at all, but everyone here just seems to give up all of a sudden! What?? Wow, someone somewhere certainly got paid off, I guarantee you...wow.
Feel the same too. The way the Mexican worker looked away when saying the hatch was opened. No need to be a body language expert to see that it wasn't convincing. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it just comes across to me like Netflix had given agreement on how the show would be presented in exchange for the interviews and appearances granted. The hatch was for a long time revealed as closed and was never corrected. And now they are telling us it was opened and there was some communication error? As the hatch was a very important clue, why was any communication error about it by the police left uncorrected for months?

This case will probably always bother me. But I don't think the lid being closed is a big mystery. It's entirely possible that some worker was up there having a smoke break (there seemed to be evidence that people smoked up there often), saw the lid/hatch was open and closed it without looking in.

I go back and forth between murder and accidental death due to altered mental state. From what I remember, she wasn't taking her meds consistently and that can definitely do bad things to a person's mind. What I don't know is if they could cause her to go into the water talk. I do wonder if her death was accidental and someone found her unconscious or dead on the roof, panicked and threw her into the tank to hide her.

The thing that gets me the most how long she was in there and nobody noticed until two weeks later? Not sure if this has been brought up but I don't think she was in there for more than a couple of days, and I do not think that she had a mental break. She was missing for at least a week before she went in that water tank. Just my personal opinion... with the amount of crazy activity in the hotel who would notice a girl in distress/yelling?

Edited: Think about the staircase of the fire escape, if someone was after her saw her go out the window on the fire escape and is used to the building, could they not have gotten up there before her trapping her?

That's entirely possible. I originally thought she went out the fire escape at her own floor since the dogs tracked her scent to the window by the fire escape. But, it seems odd that they wouldn't find her scent on the roof at all. Would the open air environment and the time that's passed obfuscate the scent?

When we first hear from the maintenance man, he says the lid was open when he looked in and saw Elisa. Then he closed it.
The last episode, he is filmed stating that it was open when he looked in and saw her.
The information has been out there as stated by this witness to the scene.
It was misstated in the news that the lid was closed.
Sensationalized to infinity and beyond.
Okay, if it was open why didn't the police helicopter see the lid ajar and radio down to search. And with the lid being open the dogs shoiodve smelled the decay or someone should've after a couple of days in the heat.

I had not heard of this case till the Netflix doc either, but now it has me fascinated.

I have a couple of questions/points.

• Ok, say she had a psychotic break. How in the world could she have figured out how to get onto the roof and into a water tank? It seemed rather complicated to get up to the tanks, under some pipes and such, to the tank where she was found. I don't know what it's like to have a "psychotic episode" but logic dictates that she may have run screaming through the hotel but...to have the presence of mind to get out the window, up the fire escape, and somehow find the water tank? It would have made more sense for her, at that point (assuming the psychotic break was the case and she weren't in her right mind) to have leapt off the roof as opposed to finding that tank.
  • OTOH, how could someone else have carried her up there? I have also never tried to carry someone up a ladder - maybe it happens in the movies - but in real life by a real person, it seems like a pretty difficult maneuver.
  • The singer had anything to do with it. He wasn't even there and proved it in several ways. His music/persona was simply an affect/act to sell records to a specific audience. Not unlike a Marilyn Manson or Ozzy Osbourne. Unusual to some, sure, but it doesn't make him a murderer. I am all for webslueting like we do, responsibly, but for the people who sent death threats to a guy who just happened to stay at the Cecil a full year prior is just wrong.
  • I can't find the post now, but someone asked why she would remove her bra and underwear if she were trying to tread water and her clothing was bogging her down. Did they recover a bra and underwear? It seems she was wearing a sweat top and sweat shorts in the elevator video. It is possible that she may have not had either on under her sweats.
  • Did they definitively say her death was "drowning?". If so, I missed that. If she died from drowning (accidental or otherwise) then, well, obviously she was alive when she went in.

I think AutumFalls is pretty close. That she perhaps died - or someone thought she had died - accidentally somehow, and that someone panicked. The problem there goes back to "how did a person get a literal dead weight up that ladder?" unless there was more than one person. I fully expected them to find drugs or alcohol in her system, as that's where I was headed. I figured "There were people partying up there, someone invited her, and she overdosed accidentally or something else happened accidentally. The rest panicked." If that were the case, it would almost have to be assumed that there were hotel employees up there. I have done that. Not murder/hiding bodies of course, but I used to work at a hotel and we had keys to the secret spots. We'd sneak up to the roof and drink or smoke pot. Ok - I was in my early 20's, don't judge. But, toxicology report says no drugs other than her own prescription, no alcohol. Again though...what layperson (Elisa or anyone else) not affiliated with that particular hotel would know where the water tanks were? Or even if they were water tanks? I wouldn't know a water tank if I saw one. Could Elisa have been running from someone and thought she would "hide" not knowing the thing was full of water? Thinking it was maybe a - I don't know - escape route of some kind? I just can't see her figuring out how to get there on her own unless she did it in a completely lucid state with intent. And I don't see that either.

And what is up with her name, reversed, being the name of the Tuberculosis study/test/whatever? That's supposed to be a "coincidence"?

But man...those guests in the hotel drinking the water...yikes. That actually brings up another point. Assume she was in the tank the full 19 days since she went missing. Why didn't someone notice/report bad water pressure/bad smell prior?

And to add a bit of levity to an otherwise gruesome situation, I had to literally laugh when they said they plan to "...convert one half of the hotel into low income housing and the other half into a luxury hotel." In my 30 years in business, that has to be the absolute worst marketing decision I have ever heard.

Still too many questions, say I.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back