20/20 Special - The List: Who Killed Jonbenet? on 15 Jan 2021

Did they ever even test the flashlight for blood?

Colorado303,
Probably as it would show up under a particular light spectrum, did they do it, I don't know.

They tested for fingerprints, which left the flashlight miscolored.

Similar for the batteries, with no results, so its possible someone wiped the batteries clean?

But the flashlight matches the indentation in JB’s head. It’s possible these geniuses felt their sexual assault staging would render the flashlight irrelevant, or as someone pointed out upthread they meant to imply the intruder had used it. Either to see in the dark, hit JR’s head or both.

Colorado303,

It's likely part of a prior staging, which was abandoned in favor of the wine-cellar or similar hideout.

Flashlight in the kitchen
Fullscreen-capture-20181020-153029-1024x574.jpg

Screen capture from Court TV "Anatomy of a Cold Case" 7/6/06
AnatomyColdCase029.jpg

TOM HANEY: Eighty. PATSY RAMSEY: (Inaudible). This looks like the jacket I was talking to you, the leather one with the fur.
TOM HANEY: That is on a stool in the kitchen?
PATSY RAMSEY: The back of the kitchen stool, yeah.

There is another photograph out there showing a pillow in the kitchen. So here is a guess:

JonBenet was moved to the kitchen, either from her bedroom or the basement, and her head placed on the pillow.

Now contrary to humane expectations this was not for comfort, but so that JonBenet's death could be staged, e.g. whacking her on the head with the flashlight.

Once done it was apparent that it left no visible sign of death, this aspect would not be revealed until Coroner Meyer peeled back JonBenet's scalp to show a rectangular fracture, so those staging moved on to something more evident, e.g. ligature asphyxiation.

otg has a comprehensive post on the head injury here:
JonBenet's Skull Fractures: The Weapon

Last edited:
Whose fingerprints were on the flashlight? Or DNA?

Jackaylyn,

If you look at a mag lite you will notice it has a textured pattern. It has been my understanding that no fingerprints could be lifted because of this. As for the batteries ... they were wiped clean. Why? As for the touch dna we do not know the results of all that was tested.

Also worth noting is the fact that the neighbor on the northwest side of the house noticed flashing lights coming from the kitchen area that night. Why?

The explanation that makes the most sense to me for its presence is that, yes it was perhaps the murder weapon. I’ve been accidentally struck in the face with one and they can do serious damage; especially if with intent. What was the need for the flashlight in the first place? Apparently all the lights were working in the house that night. Therefore, I can see BR using it to sneak down in the basement with JB, placing it in his hand. I see no explanation for JR using
the mag lite that night to take BR to bed.

Jackaylyn,

If you look at a mag lite you will notice it has a textured pattern. It has been my understanding that no fingerprints could be lifted because of this. As for the batteries ... they were wiped clean. Why? As for the touch dna we do not know the results of all that was tested.

Also worth noting is the fact that the neighbor on the northwest side of the house noticed flashing lights coming from the kitchen area that night. Why?

The explanation that makes the most sense to me for its presence is that, yes it was perhaps the murder weapon. I’ve been accidentally struck in the face with one and they can do serious damage; especially if with intent. What was the need for the flashlight in the first place? Apparently all the lights were working in the house that night. Therefore, I can see BR using it to sneak down in the basement with JB, placing it in his hand. I see no explanation for JR using

I agree that John didn't need the Maglite to put Burke to bed, but he needed it for something else.

The diameter of a Maglite is 1.5 inches, which means its circumference is 4.7 inches. Would you care to guess what else has a very similar circumference?

ML300L 4D LED Long-Running Flashlight

Rain on my Parade,
Yes, I agree.

Yet why, is it because:

1. Burke is giving John a postmortem alibi.

2. John is giving Burke a postmortem alibi.

I reckon this is the function of this aspect to the Ramsey version of events, is it not curious that Patsy does not get such an alibi.

From memory JR says he was asleep when Patsy went to bed? needs verified

UKGuy,

I opt for 2. But then watching JR during in all of his interviews he shakes his head yes when he is saying no and
Vice Versa. So, given that he is so covering up for himself, not just BR.

According to JR statement in his interview 4/ 30/97 he states thus:
TT: Okay. You went upstairs and got ready for bed; was Patsy already in bed by the time you went upstairs?
JR: She was in bed when I went to go to bed, I remember that. Uh, . . .

And then just a few moments later he states thus:
TT: Okay. You came to the top of the stairs after helping Burke get ready for bed, do you recall whether Patsy was in bed at that time?

JR: I don’t remember, one way or the other.

I agree that John didn't need the Maglite to put Burke to bed, but he needed it for something else.

The diameter of a Maglite is 1.5 inches, which means its circumference is 4.7 inches. Would you care to guess what else has a very similar circumference?

ML300L 4D LED Long-Running Flashlight

icedtea4me,
I believe the R’s had this model:
Maglite S2D016 2 D-Cell Maglite Flashlight

Which was not an led flashlight. Therefore the diameter and circumference is different.

icedtea4me,
I believe the R’s had this model:
Maglite S2D016 2 D-Cell Maglite Flashlight

Which was not an led flashlight. Therefore the diameter and circumference is different.

This flashlight's barrel circumference is 39.67 mm which equals 1.56 inches.

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/maglite-s2d016-black-2d-cell-incandescent-flashlight-/p-124146

Would you still care to venture a guess as to what other cylindrical object also has a very similar circumference or shall I tell you?

Colorado303,
Probably as it would show up under a particular light spectrum, did they do it, I don't know.

They tested for fingerprints, which left the flashlight miscolored.

Similar for the batteries, with no results, so its possible someone wiped the batteries clean?

Would there be any blood the flashlight if the blow to the head didn't break the skin?

Would there be any blood the flashlight if the blow to the head didn't break the skin?

root661,
Probably not, but there would be DNA. There are many tests for blood, e.g. Luminol, also an infrared photograph taken with a filter would show any presence of blood.

There was blood on JonBenet's Pink Barbie Nightgown, found in the wine-cellar, which might be spatter, similarly there might be spatter on the flashlight, e.g. cross transfer from the person who wiped her down?

So it's an open question.

UKGuy,

I opt for 2. But then watching JR during in all of his interviews he shakes his head yes when he is saying no and
Vice Versa. So, given that he is so covering up for himself, not just BR.

According to JR statement in his interview 4/ 30/97 he states thus:
TT: Okay. You went upstairs and got ready for bed; was Patsy already in bed by the time you went upstairs?
JR: She was in bed when I went to go to bed, I remember that. Uh, . . .

And then just a few moments later he states thus:
TT: Okay. You came to the top of the stairs after helping Burke get ready for bed, do you recall whether Patsy was in bed at that time?

JR: I don’t remember, one way or the other.

Rain on my Parade,
Sure, which is why I flagged up it needs to be verified. As per normal the R's use ramnesia to their advantage.

Essentially does not matter since we can demonstrate all three Ramseys colluded in postmortem staging.

What we do not really know is who did what?

From memory in some other interview Patsy says John went to bed and she stayed up preparing for a fast exit the following morning?

Jackaylyn,

Rain on my Parade,
None of the R's needed a flashlight to navigate their own house. They had wall switches for that.

Now one room where the light switch did not work was JonBenet's bedroom, go figure.

The unanswered question is why Burke Ramsey would need a flashlight to navigate his own house, and why John Ramsey would alibi him for it?

IMO BPD can link Burke Ramsey to the flashlight, say via touch-dn, or some body fluid?

The flashlight looks like the weapon which administered the head blow, then again it might just be staging?

Look where it was left!

I dont care what the experts say or were paid to say PATSY WROTE THAT RIDICULOUS RANSOM NOTE that would never be written by a kidnapper ever- He's gonna take 2 hours to write that insane note and then leave the body in the house -AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SO dumb

Rain on my Parade,

The unanswered question is why Burke Ramsey would need a flashlight to navigate his own house, and why John Ramsey would alibi him for it?

When I look at the pictures of that messy basement, I would need a flashlight down there. I might need one in the daytime as well.

Whoever struck JB could not have known that there'd not be any visible bleeding.

Discussion of the flashlight should encompass whether the head blow came before or after the strangulation.

Whoever struck JB could not have known that there'd not be any visible bleeding.

Discussion of the flashlight should encompass whether the head blow came before or after the strangulation.

proust20,
It's highly unlikely the head blow came after the ligature asphyxiation as JonBenet was then dead, so no scope for blunt force trauma to effect her brain.

This does not prevent JonBenet from being manually asphyxiated, say by a choke hold being applied as a crude restraint, possibly causing JonBenet to become unconcious and lapse into a coma via pressure on her vagus nerve.

The blunt force trauma might simply represent a failed first attempt at staging. Followed up by the use of the ligature and paintbrush which visibly suggests the manner of death?

I lean towards the blowing coming secondly. The lack of bleeding in JB's brain indicates that she was already dead when hit. The blow to the head would then be staging. However, would the person who struck JB know that there wouldn't be a lot of blood? After all, a bloody mess could have been sought after in order to make the WC scene even more gruesome?

If the blow was dealt firstly because of an impulsive moment of rage, the object used (maybe a flashlight) would have to be close at hand. The Rs were vague about where they usually kept the MagLite. On the other hand, if JB had already been killed, there would have been time to look around for the proper weapon. Perhaps even the actual weapon along with a decoy which could be utilized for misdirection?

I lean towards the blowing coming secondly. The lack of bleeding in JB's brain indicates that she was already dead when hit. The blow to the head would then be staging. However, would the person who struck JB know that there wouldn't be a lot of blood? After all, a bloody mess could have been sought after in order to make the WC scene even more gruesome?

If the blow was dealt firstly because of an impulsive moment of rage, the object used (maybe a flashlight) would have to be close at hand. The Rs were vague about where they usually kept the MagLite. On the other hand, if JB had already been killed, there would have been time to look around for the proper weapon. Perhaps even the actual weapon along with a decoy which could be utilized for misdirection?

The displaced fragment of skull would've created an opening for the blood to seep out. It would've gone from between the skull and the brain to between the skull and the scalp.

http://www.acandyrose.com/12271996jonbenet07.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back