Found Deceased CA - Christopher Woitel, 50, San Francisco, 9 Jan 2021

It is interesting as it appears the person does look at something - could be a mailbox or building bulletin, or maybe the super lives there. The walk seems tired, not rushed like someone hiding their identity may be, so it could be CW. I wonder if the person's height matches (can compare to door frame).
I have no idea if I am posting correctly, so please let me know if I need to do something differently. I am friends with Chris's sister and she has watched the video (as well as the other siblings) - they believe it is Chris. Please, everyone, spread the word about Chris so his family can find out what happened to him. It's heartbreaking to watch this kind and wonderful family in pain.

I have no idea if I am posting correctly, so please let me know if I need to do something differently. I am friends with Chris's sister and she has watched the video (as well as the other siblings) - they believe it is Chris. Please, everyone, spread the word about Chris so his family can find out what happened to him. It's heartbreaking to watch this kind and wonderful family in pain.
Hi Epi, welcome to Websleuths and thanks for joining in on the thread.
People here are very respectful and caring, and do some pretty impressive research that sometimes leads to some great tips that are passed on to law enforcement. (LE).

My question is did anyone check video to see if the homeless person mentioned ever entered/left Chris's apartment during the timeframe in question?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Hi Epi, welcome to Websleuths and thanks for joining in on the thread.
People here are very respectful and caring, and do some pretty impressive research that sometimes leads to some great tips that are passed on to law enforcement. (LE).

My question is did anyone check video to see if the homeless person mentioned ever entered/left Chris's apartment during the timeframe in question?

The person in question was seen leaving early in the morning the day before Chris went missing. Chris had contact with his family after that point though.

The person in question was seen leaving early in the morning the day before Chris went missing. Chris had contact with his family after that point though.
I'm suspecting the homeless person went back/got back in. I would look at the video again with an eye out for this person

Thanks for posting Epi. Do you know when anyone entered Chris' apt after Jan. 8? And how far out the building surveillance video was checked?

upload_2021-2-16_7-14-40.jpeg
“Today, the San Francisco Police Department and the Medical Examiner notified us that they have located Chris,” the family said through Mark Guarino, a childhood friend of Woitel’s who has been acting as a spokesman.

“It is with a heavy heart that we must inform you of Chris’ passing,” they added. “Please help us by preserving Chris’ legacy in your memories. Thank you for your love and caring support through these very difficult times.”

The cause of Woitel’s death is unclear as an autopsy is pending, Guarino said. Also unclear is where inside the apartment building police found Woitel’s body. Woitel entered his apartment on the night of Jan. 8, but surveillance footage never captured him leaving.

Over the course of a month, police, the building manager, and private investigator searched Woitel’s apartment and did not find him inside, so it is unlikely police found Woitel inside his apartment on Monday.
Missing Mission District resident, Christopher Woitel, found dead - Mission Local

A statement from the Brisbane private investigator hired by the family raises more questions than answers. Scott Williams says he searched Woitel’s apartment and found it undisturbed. When Williams reviewed the building’s security footage, he saw the clip of Woitel walking in, but there was no trace of him walking out. Williams said the only other way out of the building was through the back door, but a review of that camera, which is triggered by motion at night, yielded nothing.
Video shows an SF man at home. A month later, he's nowhere to be found.

He was found inside the apartment building? o_O I don't know if I'm shocked or not by that news, but I am curious how no one in that apartment building noticed the smell of death. :confused: Perhaps he was sealed in a freezer or container of some sort?

My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones. May God comfort them through this most difficult time. Rest in peace, Chris.

Thank you so much for joining in. I feel so badly for Chris’s sister and family. My brother was homeless by choice. He went missing in August 2006. My sister and I desperately searched for him for three long months(every single day) in the hot heat before we finally found his remains deep in the woods near alternative homeless camps. I’m happy that Chris was able to even afford and stay in an apartment. Hopefully he was warm and content before his demise.

Thank you so much for joining in. I feel so badly for Chris’s sister and family. My brother was homeless by choice. He went missing in August 2006. My sister and I desperately searched for him for three long months(every single day) in the hot heat before we finally found his remains deep in the woods near alternative homeless camps. I’m happy that Chris was able to even afford and stay in an apartment. Hopefully he was warm and content before his demise.
I'm sorry to hear about your brother and that your family went through that. It must feel almost unbearable to have a family member die. I have a constant pit in my stomach and I'm not even family. I know the family is feeling what I feel a million times worse (and honestly, it's not even comparable). I would do anything to help take away their pain. I don't understand why people like Chris are taken from this world. Why someone so generous and kind? The world has lost a true gem. Thank you everyone for your kind words and keeping an eye out for him.

This is such sad news. I wonder if we will ever know more? Was it a medical incident? Did he accidentally get locked in somewhere? Was it self harm? (I truly don’t think so). Was it homicide? I wonder where he was finally found? So many questions.

Many years ago, one of the first cases I ever followed involved a young man whose name I can’t remember unfortunately, he was staying at a hotel I think and went missing. They eventually found him in some sort of equipment room, like where the AC/heating machinery, or something like that, was located. I believe he had even called his father but this was in the early days of flip phones.

It never made sense how he got there, why he went in there, and sadly I don’t even recall what COD was. I still think about that case and wish I remembered the name. But he wasn’t missing in a building for a month, so no decomp issues, etc..

Sorry, I’m rambling.

They found him in his apartment.

SF man missing over a month found dead in his apartment

Could be something as simple as him being under a comforter or other bedding. Sure is weird. We may find out how he died at some point, as there will be an autopsy.
According to the article at that link...

“statement does not specify where the body was found. An autopsy is pending.”
A San Francisco man who went missing over a month ago has been found dead in his apartment building, the man's family said Monday.

The headline of the article contradicts what the article itself says.

So glad he was found but I doubt is was actually in his apartment . It would have to have been a huge apartment or the people who searched it need to be scrutinized.

Possibly there were utility rooms, water storage or some other maintenance alcove.
But how did he get there and why was there no odour? Was there a refrigeration unit there? So many questions. And what about the guy with his phone? MOO

I did notice the one article states 5'10" and 200 pounds, while the missing poster in the video says 6'0" and 170 pounds. I found that odd.

And for me, it's really bizarre he was deceased in that building for that amount of time and nobody noticed....unless he wasn't, meaning, the date of his death is unknown to us, yes?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back