TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the First Baptist Church of Luling (across the street from Blanche Square Park) just might have 3 cameras facing the park. Hopefully LE checked the video. I would have thought we'd have heard something either say if they had. Either released pics "Do you have any info on this person?" or simply to say they found no footage of Jason or his car that evening.

You'll need to manually move to the side facing the park. I can't get it to give me a URL to what I'm seeing after doing that.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x86434f2263964e45:0x733c8f6812aa35c!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/first+baptist+church+luling/@29.6830325,-97.647222,3a,75y,96.73h,90t/data=*213m4*211e1*213m2*211saAF3g2p5Si9LKVSMG5avfA*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x86434f2263964e45:0x733c8f6812aa35c?sa=X!5sfirst baptist church luling - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2saAF3g2p5Si9LKVSMG5avfA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim3KWdwvHuAhVNIjQIHZY-CVcQpx8wCnoECB8QCA
It's also possible the church cameras are only dummy cams -- hoping to deter/discourage crime.

We know the traffic light camera at the intersection E. Austin/Magnolia is no longer in service pursuant to TX House Bill 1631 which the Governor signed into law in June 2019, prohibiting their use.

Gov. Greg Abbott signs red light camera ban into law

There are a number of drugs with which cannabis can be laced, that cause undressing. Flakka is the new one, but meth and PCP are also fairly common as additives.

I think he lost track of his phone when the accident occurred. It slipped between/underneath the front seat. Most people would take the time to find it and use it, in that situation.

Something unusual was going on.

The Luling Newsboy & Signal is the town's weekly newspaper published every Thursday. Feb 11, 2021 edition states "Landry Search Returns to Original Crash Site." Unfortunately, the text is too small to read, and enlarging the page blurs the text. Perhaps this story available elsewhere(?)...
Luling Newsboy & Signal

Also, the following link to the archived paper is a legible copy for information purposes only (i.e., an FYI for example of the town size, services, and typical news).

http://archives.etypeservices.com/Luling1/Magazine260628/Publication/Magazine260628.pdf

Has anyone seen reference to KL or anyone removing a phone mount from the car? The pics from the salvage yard do not show one. If he didn't have any kind of phone mount, I would have to guess that he placed it in the opening just in front of the shifter when not in use. From that position, with a significant collision to the back of the vehicle, I could very easily see the phone ending up between the seat and the console.

I don’t believe the phone was dropped at the intersection. I think it ended up there at the time of the accident.

He may have searched for it unsuccessfully, not having any idea where it had gone. If he had dropped it at the intersection, it wouldn't make sense that he didn't retrieve it, as he would know where it was.

I can get Google to turn the flashlight on (or off), on my Android phone, just by saying "Okay Google, turn on flashlight." I use this all the time, like when I get home and need to see the keyhole (and the key) to my front door when it's dark. If I dropped my phone in my car and couldn't find it, I'd pull over and look. I might ask Google to turn on the phone's flashlight.

I believe you can use voice commands to do all sorts of things like that... even dial 911.

I wonder if Jason tried to use voice commands, to find his phone.

The phone "lost" in the car is so perplexing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-144917_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-144917_Google.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 17
There are a number of drugs with which cannabis can be laced, that cause undressing. Flakka is the new one, but meth and PCP are also fairly common as additives.

I think he lost track of his phone when the accident occurred. It slipped between/underneath the front seat. Most people would take the time to find it and use it, in that situation.

Something unusual was going on.

Agreed. Something unusual was going on.

IMO, Jason would have been safer in his car, than venturing out on foot. If the lights were on, I'm assuming his heat would have worked. The car might have been undrivable, but he could have been warm and out of the elements. He had the shelter of his car. He decided to leave on foot, then he undressed.

He had just been using his phone recently, it was working. Even if it was wedged in the seat, he had to know it was still in the car, somewhere. Yet, he did not call for help following the accident. Not sure if he looked for it or not.

I'm concerned about his state of mind in general and would be with or without the recovered weed from his belongings.

IMO

I can get Google to turn the flashlight on (or off), on my Android phone, just by saying "Okay Google, turn on flashlight." I use this all the time, like when I get home and need to see the keyhole (and the key) to my front door when it's dark. If I dropped my phone in my car and couldn't find it, I'd pull over and look. I might ask Google to turn on the phone's flashlight.

I believe you can use voice commands to do all sorts of things like that... even dial 911.

I wonder if Jason tried to use voice commands, to find his phone.

The phone "lost" in the car is so perplexing.

It seems that it being “lost” could have been a result from the crash. And because of his disorientation from either the crash or a substance all of a sudden coming into effect, he was not thinking clearly to look for it or find it. Or maybe didn’t take it with him on purpose?

Last edited:
I'm concerned about his state of mind in general and would be with or without the recovered weed from his belongings.
^^rsbm
I believe JL's state of mind-- together with the tragic accident on a cold winter's night, will be deemed the cause of JL's demise.

I hope for his recovery ASAP for the sake of his family and friends. Nothing could be worse than this state of limbo -- not knowing.

MOO

I don’t believe the phone was dropped at the intersection. I think it ended up there at the time of the accident.

Here's the weird thing to me in regards to when his phone ended up where it did... he doesn't drive without the aid of Waze (would drive it into a wall if Waze directed him to per his father)... yet that car was obviously going in a wrong direction (dark, no houses, gravel road, clearly not the place to be). If it lodged between the seats at the time of the accident... why did a digitally addicted person not have a digital footprint for 67 minutes? Why did he not turn Waze back on after he SnapChatted at the intersection? He couldn't find his way out of a box without it! lol Something is just not right here.

Agreed. Something unusual was going on.

IMO, Jason would have been safer in his car, than venturing out on foot. If the lights were on, I'm assuming his heat would have worked. The car might have been undrivable, but he could have been warm and out of the elements. He had the shelter of his car. He decided to leave on foot, then he undressed.

He had just been using his phone recently, it was working. Even if it was wedged in the seat, he had to know it was still in the car, somewhere. Yet, he did not call for help following the accident. Not sure if he looked for it or not.

IMO

BBM. Totally agree, however, this assumes that Jason was the driver of the car. He might not have been. The crash may have been staged. I feel something happened at the intersection in town by the park where his last digital footprint was.

A simple explanation for Waze being turned off, he reached his destination and he no longer needed the app open. It's odd to me that road was his intended destination, but maybe it actually was.

I'm someone that turns off my navigation app as soon as it's no longer needed. The voice (no matter the selection) and constant interruption of the navigation irritates me. I can't wait to close it. IMO

Here's the weird thing to me in regards to when his phone ended up where it did... he doesn't drive without the aid of Waze (would drive it into a wall if Waze directed him to per his father)... yet that car was obviously going in a wrong direction (dark, no houses, gravel road, clearly not the place to be). If it lodged between the seats at the time of the accident... why did a digitally addicted person not have a digital footprint for 67 minutes? Why did he not turn Waze back on after he SnapChatted at the intersection? He couldn't find his way out of a box without it! lol Something is just not right here.
I think the phone became out of reach and lost to JL during the accident. I also think JL was kicking back on the dark road to indulge just before getting on HI-10, and did not use his phone during those 67 mins in question -- possibly because of lack of signal. I suspect we will one day learn that there's evidence that JL took a smoke break-- info that was not otherwise released to MSM.

MOO

A simple explanation for Waze being turned off, he reached his destination and he no longer needed the app open. It's odd to me that road was his intended destination, but maybe it actually was.

I'm someone that turns off my navigation app as soon as it's no longer needed. The voice (no matter the selection) and constant interruption of the navigation irritates me. I can't wait to close it. IMO

I agree. I've stated this before. I believe the area of that park was the destination that evening which is why Waze was no longer used. It's likely why he then Snapped with someone at that particular point. Waiting his next instruction or destination via SnapMap? This would mean they wouldn't want anyone to know where that destination was as Snap's posts delete shortly after viewing.

I think the phone became out of reach and lost to JL during the accident. I also think JL was kicking back on the dark road to indulge just before getting on HI-10, and did not use his phone during those 67 mins in question -- possibly because of lack of signal. I suspect we will one day learn that there's evidence that JL took a smoke break-- info that was not otherwise released to MSM.

MOO

I don't think he'd need to go that far down that road (5 miles) just to indulge. JMO

I took it to mean his that he stopped using his phone (personal interaction). I Googled "digital footprint" (because I didn't know what it was, I'm not a cellphone user) and found the same definition said a variety of ways:

Simply put, a digital footprint is the record or trail left by the things you do online. Your social media activity, the info on your personal website, your browsing history, your online subscriptions, any photo galleries and videos you’ve uploaded — essentially, anything on the Internet with your name on it.

Just bringing part of the press release forward to show he no longer had Waze on. He had turned it off to use Snapchat (BBM):
  • 11:24 p.m. – Enters the City of Luling on Highway 80, goes through the intersection of Hackberry Street (Highway 80 becomes Austin Street here)
Landry then stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He continued on Austin Street to the intersection with U.S. Highway 183 or Magnolia Avenue, CCSO said. It’s believed he went through the intersection and continued on East Austin Street. It’s at this intersection that Landry’s digital footprint stops.

Due to the above, I feel whatever happened, started at Blanche Square park. It's the intersection his footprint stops for one. For two, he can't pull out from a parking spot without the aid or Waze or he's lost (my way of saying what his dad jokingly says "he'd drive into a brick wall if Waze told him to"), IOW... he was highly dependent on Waze. Yet his car (note I don't say "he drives") ends up 5 miles down a dark gravel road that had multiple ways to turn around and head back to the lights of town had he simply not been able to retrieve his phone. Going further and further into the heart of Texas, into an oil field area and not many inhabited houses just does not make sense if HE was doing the driving.

I think his end destination was Blanche Square park which is why he turns off his lifeline, Waze, and turns on Snapchat, never to turn Waze back on. More notably, never to do anything online again. IMHO he Snapped with whomever he drove there to meet as per the plan and then either something that had been planned happened, and we just don't know what that plan was (best case scenario as that means he's still alive), or something unplanned happened. They then continued down the street that the car was pointing in (Spruce) and continued onto Salt Flat Rd and purposely spun the car out. It could have been their footprint that the dogs followed and it 'abruptly disappears' when they get into their accomplices car.

Why? No clue, but I don't have to know why something had to happen in order for it to have happened. Sometimes you just never end up knowing the why or the how.

So when LE is talking about more searches... I hope that includes a video search of cameras in the Blanche Square park area. Hopefully there is one pointing to the park. It would be a great place for a cam if they don't have one there. I'm not convinced he's down Salt Flat Rd.
I took it to mean his that he stopped using his phone (personal interaction). I Googled "digital footprint" (because I didn't know what it was, I'm not a cellphone user) and found the same definition said a variety of ways:

Simply put, a digital footprint is the record or trail left by the things you do online. Your social media activity, the info on your personal website, your browsing history, your online subscriptions, any photo galleries and videos you’ve uploaded — essentially, anything on the Internet with your name on it.

Just bringing part of the press release forward to show he no longer had Waze on. He had turned it off to use Snapchat (BBM):
  • 11:24 p.m. – Enters the City of Luling on Highway 80, goes through the intersection of Hackberry Street (Highway 80 becomes Austin Street here)
Landry then stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He continued on Austin Street to the intersection with U.S. Highway 183 or Magnolia Avenue, CCSO said. It’s believed he went through the intersection and continued on East Austin Street. It’s at this intersection that Landry’s digital footprint stops.

Due to the above, I feel whatever happened, started at Blanche Square park. It's the intersection his footprint stops for one. For two, he can't pull out from a parking spot without the aid or Waze or he's lost (my way of saying what his dad jokingly says "he'd drive into a brick wall if Waze told him to"), IOW... he was highly dependent on Waze. Yet his car (note I don't say "he drives") ends up 5 miles down a dark gravel road that had multiple ways to turn around and head back to the lights of town had he simply not been able to retrieve his phone. Going further and further into the heart of Texas, into an oil field area and not many inhabited houses just does not make sense if HE was doing the driving.

I think his end destination was Blanche Square park which is why he turns off his lifeline, Waze, and turns on Snapchat, never to turn Waze back on. More notably, never to do anything online again. IMHO he Snapped with whomever he drove there to meet as per the plan and then either something that had been planned happened, and we just don't know what that plan was (best case scenario as that means he's still alive), or something unplanned happened. They then continued down the street that the car was pointing in (Spruce) and continued onto Salt Flat Rd and purposely spun the car out. It could have been their footprint that the dogs followed and it 'abruptly disappears' when they get into their accomplices car.

Why? No clue, but I don't have to know why something had to happen in order for it to have happened. Sometimes you just never end up knowing the why or the how.

So when LE is talking about more searches... I hope that includes a video search of cameras in the Blanche Square park area. Hopefully there is one pointing to the park. It would be a great place for a cam if they don't have one there. I'm not convinced he's down Salt Flat Rd.
This is a real possibility I hadn't thought of and would explain no digital footprint. If he met someone at the park and they decided to take a drive to smoke some weed, they would be talking while driving and no reason to be on his phone. I couldn't envision a scenario that involved another person but meeting at the park makes sense.
I doubt the accident was intentional. The other person had a phone and called for help explaining why his scent stopped in the road. Maybe he overdosed, met with foul play, or was kidnapped by a cult. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆