MA MA - Sandra Crispo, 54, Hanson, 7 August 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandra was divorced about 15 years ago - that would have been in 2004? Her daughter would have been around 17 years old.

Sandra moved in with her father after her divorce in 2004 or so, her father’s companion passed in 2008.

She never had a cell phone, a computer or a debit card. (Never?! It boggles my mind)

And if she sometimes didn’t answer the landline how would you know she was okay and mentally able to take care of the children? If she always relied on someone to take care of things?
JMO

I haven't been following this thread. I do remember reading about it when she first went missing.
I'd like to know what LM found on the floor that may be evidence. If it's seaman, I think it's fair to say that her family is not involved.
If it was a family member, and they called to see if she was home, LE would have known about that through the phone records like they knew the cousin had called.
If it was a family member, and they rode by her house to see if she was home, her car would have been gone, so why would they have stopped?
My guess is if it was a family member thinking she had money and was in pursuit of it, knowing she didn't have a bank account would have thought she had it stashed in the house. Why wasn't the house ransacked? Where would they have wanted to take her with just her pocketbook? Not to get any money. The banks would have been closed at that time, and what would be in her pocketbook to obtain money? She had no debit card (if they were dumb enough to rob her for $400) and no bank book. To me anyway, the family being involved makes no sense. Maybe they were so divided that they just don't care what happened to her and don't want to put in the effort to find her. Cold maybe, but I would think if they were involved, they'd put on the act like they were concerned, asking LE questions to keep abreast of any information they could obtain, and helping in the searches etc.
Part way through listening to the Podcast, I thought perhaps she was outside having a smoke, was confronted by someone who could have acted like a friendly neighbor, and things went awry and she was kidnapped. Now that I heard the sheet was missing and the closet was disheveled, I'm thinking someone like a neighbor may have seen her car was gone, maybe watched them leave, and may have walked in that unlocked back door while they were at the mechanics, (if it was unlocked then ) and hid in the closet and waited. Then after harming/killing her, wrapped her body in the sheet, walked back to his house, git his vehicle, and took her away.
All random thoughts I'm just bouncing off. Sorry for the long winded post.

Sandra was divorced about 15 years ago - that would have been in 2004? Her daughter would have been around 17 years old.

Sandra moved in with her father after her divorce in 2004 or so, her father’s companion passed in 2008.

She never had a cell phone, a computer or a debit card. (Never?! It boggles my mind)

And if she sometimes didn’t answer the landline how would you know she was okay and mentally able to take care of the children? If she always relied on someone to take care of things?
JMO
I may be wrong, but I don't think she suffered from long term depression, but more off and on situational depression... like when she got divorced, and when her dad died. She seemed to do fine raising her kids, and I doubt LM would have had her watching hers if she was that unstable.
All MOO.

I haven't been following this thread. I do remember reading about it when she first went missing.
I'd like to know what LM found on the floor that may be evidence. If it's seaman, I think it's fair to say that her family is not involved.
If it was a family member, and they called to see if she was home, LE would have known about that through the phone records like they knew the cousin had called.
If it was a family member, and they rode by her house to see if she was home, her car would have been gone, so why would they have stopped?
My guess is if it was a family member thinking she had money and was in pursuit of it, knowing she didn't have a bank account would have thought she had it stashed in the house. Why wasn't the house ransacked? Where would they have wanted to take her with just her pocketbook? Not to get any money. The banks would have been closed at that time, and what would be in her pocketbook to obtain money? She had no debit card (if they were dumb enough to rob her for $400) and no bank book. To me anyway, the family being involved makes no sense. Maybe they were so divided that they just don't care what happened to her and don't want to put in the effort to find her. Cold maybe, but I would think if they were involved, they'd put on the act like they were concerned, asking LE questions to keep abreast of any information they could obtain, and helping in the searches etc.
Part way through listening to the Podcast, I thought perhaps she was outside having a smoke, was confronted by someone who could have acted like a friendly neighbor, and things went awry and she was kidnapped. Now that I heard the sheet was missing and the closet was disheveled, I'm thinking someone like a neighbor may have seen her car was gone, maybe watched them leave, and may have walked in that unlocked back door while they were at the mechanics, (if it was unlocked then ) and hid in the closet and waited. Then after harming/killing her, wrapped her body in the sheet, walked back to his house, git his vehicle, and took her away.
All random thoughts I'm just bouncing off. Sorry for the long winded post.

I was thinking about what LM may have seen in the floor my guess is a dark stain or drops of what she thought could be blood. MOO

MOO
Spare keys.
That door being unlocked is a sticking point for me, her car and house keys are on one ring (we are unaware about a spare key(s) of Sandras and maybe LM And TM have one.
All MOO
It would make sense she would lock her door when she leaves for mechanic since she had her keys then. So I wonder why would she leave her house keys with mechanic knowing she had plans to be gone spending the night at Ts? I don’t think she was thinking about it, she pulled up to mechanics turned off car and handed keys to SIL who went to talk to mechanic. So then when SIL drops her off, (remember he said he didn’t actually see he go in) she realizes she didn’t have her key and is locked out, how did she get in? Again MOO
and spare key kind of answers these questions

I haven’t finished listening to the whole new podcast but what did strike me as odd is why didn’t the daughter call T when she couldn’t reach her mom on Thursday? Wouldn’t she or her husband have known she was going to go sleep over at T’s house on Wednesday night?

I haven’t finished listening to the whole new podcast but what did strike me as odd is why didn’t the daughter call T when she couldn’t reach her mom on Thursday? Wouldn’t she or her husband have known she was going to go sleep over at T’s house on Wednesday night?

This seems to be a big open question that was not addressed during the podcast. Hopefully it's been addressed by LE. I have always been under the impression that Sandra had no plans for that evening or the next day, which is why SIL brought her to Cumberland Farms for cigarettes and asked if she needed anything else. (LM even said her mother had gone grocery shopping earlier in the week so she was all set). Maybe Sandra intentionally kept her plans from them, but what would be the harm in saying "Hey, if you or Daughter need to reach me, I'll be at T.'s tonight and tomorrow." This whole part of the story seems very strange to me, especially as her whereabouts after she was dropped off are so critical to solving the case.

MOO I don’t think they knew, and we only know because T said that during interview. We have no idea what was discussed during that call it seems so random that this casually brought up with no follow up questions.

This seems to be a big open question that was not addressed during the podcast. Hopefully it's been addressed by LE. I have always been under the impression that Sandra had no plans for that evening or the next day, which is why SIL brought her to Cumberland Farms for cigarettes and asked if she needed anything else. (LM even said her mother had gone grocery shopping earlier in the week so she was all set). Maybe Sandra intentionally kept her plans from them, but what would be the harm in saying "Hey, if you or Daughter need to reach me, I'll be at T.'s tonight and tomorrow." This whole part of the story seems very strange to me, especially as her whereabouts after she was dropped off are so critical to solving the case.
Exactly. For a year and a half we heard that she was supposed to be home and subsequently disappeared. No one ever brought up that she had plans that night even if they didn’t know about it beforehand. I am not quite sure what to make of this new information.

Podcast on Sandra was released today (The Vanished, episode "Sandra Crispo."

A lot of very interesting information released in this, IMO. The podcast features interviews with Sandra's daughter, son in law, cousin, and longtime friend.

There is a great deal to unpack here. I will summarize some of it. All of this is taken directly from statements in the podcast and none of it is my comments or interpretation.

New information that has not previously been released included the following:

Sandra had always been a very quiet, homebody type of person who kept her circle of friends very small (it had perhaps become even smaller in recent years). She was not a materialistic type of person. She had never cared about careers, money, or possessions. Had never had a cell phone, computer, or debit card.

When her kids were little, she worked on the commercial fishing boat run by her then-husband (for everyone wondering what type of career she had in the past).

Sandra has been divorced for over 15 years. Her divorce was and remained amicable. After her divorce, she moved in with her father and lived with him for many years until his death.

The family states that Sandra had dealt with multiple bouts of depression over the years. When her father died, she suffered depression and her adult children decided it was not in her best interest to live alone anymore. At this point they moved her to her own house in Hanson, MA. Sandra's son in law stated that "she was dependent on others and liked to be taken care of by others." When Sandra's family moved her to Hanson, they took care of every detail. They got her a bank account of her own and put money in it for her. For the first time, she had her own space and own bank account that was not managed by a husband or a father.

As we have heard, Sandra did not have a cell phone. A new piece of information in the podcast was that it was not unusual for Sandra to not answer her landline either. This is why, according to her family, that when she didn't answer all day on Thursday it was not necessarily out of character. This information is a bit contrary to what we've heard in other interviews. LM explained that this particular time she had a sense of foreboding about Sandra not answering but her husband reminded her that oft Sandra didn't answer if she was probably sleeping, outside (perhaps smoking?), or in his words, "in a mood where she didn't want to talk to somebody."

LM had recently started a new job in a new department at work and on the Friday that Sandra was discovered to be missing, she had to be at a required orientation. She arrived at Sandra's house earlier than usual - partly because of the orientation, partly because she suspected something was wrong. The front door was locked, the lights were all on in the house and the air conditioner was on. The back door was unlocked. The normally hyper dog was in the house but was cowering and not moving out of his spot in a chair. LM couldn't stay to investigate because of work so she quickly called Sandra's younger sister, L, who Sandra was very close to. L said she did not know where Sandra was but agreed to take the children so LM could get to work.

LM was in communication with her husband and they agreed that as soon as he was off of work (it would be much sooner than LM could get away) he would go to the house and search. In the meantime, Sandra's sister, L, called Sandra's other very close friend T., who is a cousin to Sandra. This cousin was supposed to have Sandra over on Wednesday to spend the night. Sandra was supposed to call this cousin to arrange to be picked up because the car was in the shop. However, Sandra never got back to her about coming to pick her up and so T assumed Sandra had changed her plans and did not follow up with her. Sandra's last known call was to T at 5:30 pm on Wednesday.

When LM's husband arrived at the house and Sandra was still missing, he had a horrible feeling. He knew something was terribly wrong and they had to act fast. He immediately made a police report. Hanson police treated this very seriously. They classified Sandra as a Tier 1 missing person, which, LM states twice in the episode, is the same level of activity as if a child has gone missing. Cadaver dogs were used in the searches. None of the neighbors who were questioned remembered seeing her walking that day or being picked up by anyone.

LM's husband states that his initial belief was that Sandra had met a neighbor or some other local resident who decided that it would be a good idea to rob a woman who was living alone. He says he thought she might have said or done something that led a local to believe she had money.

By day 3 or 4 of the search, LM had come to the conclusion that her mother was dead. She even told the detectives that they would be looking for a body. She felt unheard by LE because they were more optimistic at that point that Sandra would turn up. After 52 days into the investigation, she went to her mother's house and went over it with a fine tooth comb. She admits that she was desperate at that point for the investigation to be escalated so she was hoping to find something that indicated foul play. She had originally noticed nothing in the house that looked like a struggle, everything could be explained away by the fact that Sandra had not fully unpacked yet from moving. However, there are three potentially significant things: 1. The bed slats seemed like they were shifted underneath the mattress, as if the mattress had recently been lifted up. 2. A fitted sheet that LM bought for Sandra appears to be missing and 3. there is something else that LM saw on very close inspection (hands and knees) that led her to think forensics needed to be done. She won't say what this is due to the investigation.

LM escalated the disappearance to the Plymouth County DA's office. At this point the MA State police took over the investigation. Forensics searched the house but nothing has been revealed about what they might have found or tested.

Sandra's family installed a RING camera on her house because it was standing empty. One day a car pulled up and a woman who disguised herself with a hoodie placed an item on the front stoop. LM's husband rushed over to retrieve whatever was left. It was a note accusing a local man who had gotten out of prison shortly before Sandra disappeared. The note alleged that the two knew each other. Police investigated and found nothing to corroborate the information.

LM and her husband make the following significant point. Their friends and the community have been amazing. Total strangers have dropped everything to form search parties, hang flyers, make posters, bumper stickers and more. People they don't even know have kayaked through water ways and walked through bogs helping look for Sandra. However, some people close to Sandra were quiet. They were not asking when search party dates would take place. They had no interest in updates from the police. LM and her husband say they have no evidence against 'anyone but this behavior doesn't sit right with them. "Looking at who helps and who doesn't help makes you wonder."

The podcast goes briefly into the divide in Sandra's family that came about upon her father's death. Sandra's siblings were divided over the father's will and how assets should be split up. It was reiterated that Sandra herself had no interest in material things. She didn't want to fight with siblings, she only wanted to grieve her father. "There were family members who could only focus on what they should have received." These family members believed Sandra disappeared over money. The podcast reached out to Sandra's siblings and only one of them responded, but to say that she doesn't want to be involved.

LM's thoughts have shifted over time. She initially believed a stranger had randomly targeted her mother. Now she believes this was not a random crime. She realized that Sandra's siblings are not acting the way they should be. There are other "bizarre things" the siblings are alleged to have done but the podcast is not able to go into them based on the pending investigation.

LM struggled over what to do with the house. She didn't like it being empty but wanted to keep it for her mom. Eventually another family member on her husband's side moved into the house. The police gave their blessing for this to happen.

LM states that life doesn't stop and she has to heal but will never stop advocating for her mom and getting the story out there. She actually no longer cares about the why or who but only where her mother may be.

The podcast ends with the information that while Sandra is still classified as a "missing person," police do not have the ability to make people talk who are so far uncooperative.
Amazing post ...thank you.

For example, in the previous podcast about this case, the family stated Sandra had no history of mental illness. In this one, we were told she suffered episodes of depression throughout her life and in fact was so depressed after the death of her father that the family decided it was no longer a good fit for her to live there/alone.

I picked up on this too. I think this is a significant piece of info that has been left out in the past. I will say that some people do not realize that depression and anxiety are a form of mental illness.

Sandra was dependent on others and liked being taken care of.
Multiple bouts of depression.
She was known not to answer her landline.
Sometimes she didn’t want to talk to anyone.

What did Sandra do to occupy her time if everything was done for her?
Walk? Smoke? Favorite TV shows? Read?

Ok so I can’t stop thinking about poor Sandra and what possibly could have happened. What do we think about the woman/girl who was caught on ring camera dropping off a note at Sandras house naming a man as a POI? Why not call police anonymously and give name and info and why would she be hiding her identity on camera, was she aware that the ring system had been installed?
My own thoughts and questions

Have they ever truly investigated the daughter and her husband? Sandra was estranged from her in the past correct ? Do we know why ? And the son-in-law was the last to see her, sometimes that means something.

It's clear to me from the latest podcast that LE are investigating the disappearance of Sandra as a missing person case, not a case of foul play at this point. Of course this may change if and when forensic information from Sandra's home is released but by the fact that LE have said they can't compel people to cooperate who don't want to talk to them, this shows me that they have no direct evidence of foul play at this time.

JMO but I think the investigation LE has done so far has just been to talk to the people who voluntarily agreed. I doubt they've done a deep investigation on anyone at this point. You can't "clear" anyone if there's no proof a crime has taken place.

It's a really terrible situation for those who loved her because adults are allowed to just disappear and never touch their bank account again. It's suspicious, it's awful, but it's not proof of a crime.

I'm wondering how long after she was missing that LM noticed the "potential evidence." It's been a year and a half since she disappeared, and I would think they'd have the test results back by now.

It's clear to me from the latest podcast that LE are investigating the disappearance of Sandra as a missing person case, not a case of foul play at this point. Of course this may change if and when forensic information from Sandra's home is released but by the fact that LE have said they can't compel people to cooperate who don't want to talk to them, this shows me that they have no direct evidence of foul play at this time.

JMO but I think the investigation LE has done so far has just been to talk to the people who voluntarily agreed. I doubt they've done a deep investigation on anyone at this point. You can't "clear" anyone if there's no proof a crime has taken place.

I agree that there is no actual evidence a crime has taken place, but one hopes it's at least being investigated as suspicious disappearance. I'm also not sure if LE would share specifics with anyone right now regarding who talked to them and who refused to talk to them, so I have to take some assertions with a grain of salt. There's no question there is some bad blood here between family members, but that may have all started with the father's estate.

As for Sandra and depression, if what we're hearing now is true, it sounds to my non-professional ears like she was seriously depressed. She was now much more introverted, had minimal communication with even family, but was nevertheless totally dependent on other people for basic things, was not able to handle simple financial transactions, was not coping well living in Quincy alone (but she could live in Hanson alone - were there problems with people on Hough's Neck?), and she totalled one new car and then badly damaged another car driving into a snow bank.

I know we were told early on that she had no mental health issues. And no substance abuse problems. But I'm now also taking all this with a grain of salt. What other details have we not yet heard?

I'm wondering how long after she was missing that LM noticed the "potential evidence." It's been a year and a half since she disappeared, and I would think they'd have the test results back by now.

LM says that she noticed the potential evidence about 52 days after her mother disappeared. The podcast seems to indicate that a lot of the forensic lab functions have been slowed down by COVID. I can't speak to whether or not that is true, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10