Found Deceased CA - Christopher Woitel, 50, San Francisco, 9 Jan 2021

A computer programmer has been found dead in the attic of his California home after seemingly vanishing mysteriously for a month, his family said on Monday.

The body of Christopher Woitel, 50, was located in the attic of his San Francisco apartment over the weekend, a representative with the San Francisco Police Department told Oxygen.com by email on Wednesday morning.

Ahead of Woitel’s disappearance, he began behaving in an out of character and paranoid manner, his family members told Mission Local. They noted that he expressed worry following the January insurrection attempt at the Capitol and told them he was hearing explosions and that he felt unsafe.

Just hours before he vanished, Woitel told his sister that he could hear a “man on a loudspeaker” outside ordering people to “get out now.”

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the SFPD 24-hour tip line at 1-415-575-4444 or Text a Tip to TIP411 and begin the text message with SFPD.
Missing Computer Programmer Known For Inviting Unhoused People Into His Home Found Dead In His Attic

Those creepy attics always make me think that they can be accessed from the neighbor’s attic space. I’ve seen one too many of those attic criminal stories. Poking holes, sliding cameras in the spaces, trap doors into the next apartment, coming in when no one around....

A computer programmer has been found dead in the attic of his California home after seemingly vanishing mysteriously for a month, his family said on Monday.

The body of Christopher Woitel, 50, was located in the attic of his San Francisco apartment over the weekend, a representative with the San Francisco Police Department told Oxygen.com by email on Wednesday morning.

Ahead of Woitel’s disappearance, he began behaving in an out of character and paranoid manner, his family members told Mission Local. They noted that he expressed worry following the January insurrection attempt at the Capitol and told them he was hearing explosions and that he felt unsafe.

Just hours before he vanished, Woitel told his sister that he could hear a “man on a loudspeaker” outside ordering people to “get out now.”

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the SFPD 24-hour tip line at 1-415-575-4444 or Text a Tip to TIP411 and begin the text message with SFPD.
Missing Computer Programmer Known For Inviting Unhoused People Into His Home Found Dead In His Attic

Those creepy attics always make me think that they can be accessed from the neighbor’s attic space. I’ve seen one too many of those attic criminal stories. Poking holes, sliding cameras in the spaces, trap doors into the next apartment, coming in when no one around....

Sorry for the double post.

During a second search of the man's residence Monday, San Francisco police found the body of Christopher Woitel, 50, in a three-foot high space above the bathroom of his home on Guerrero Street in the city's Mission District.

Police said Woitel likely accessed the crawl space from the roof of the building and not from inside his home. He was reported missing Jan. 13 by his mother, who said she had not heard from him since Jan. 9.
Man Missing For Month Found Dead In Crawl Space Of Own Home

During a second search of the man's residence Monday, San Francisco police found the body of Christopher Woitel, 50, in a three-foot high space above the bathroom of his home on Guerrero Street in the city's Mission District.

Police said Woitel likely accessed the crawl space from the roof of the building and not from inside his home. He was reported missing Jan. 13 by his mother, who said she had not heard from him since Jan. 9.
Man Missing For Month Found Dead In Crawl Space Of Own Home
I wonder if this had something to do with his paranoia? Was he hiding? And why would he enter from the roof? LE says no evidence of foul play - and he wasn’t up there long enough to starve, etc. I wonder how cold it gets in those attics? It’s so tragic, such a sad outcome.

Has home address been released?
.... found the body of Christopher Woitel, 50, in a three-foot high space above the bathroom of his home on Guerrero Street in the city's Mission District. Police said Woitel likely accessed the crawl space from the roof of the building and not from inside his home...Man Missing For Month Found Dead In Crawl Space Of Own Home
@imstilla.grandma bbm sbm Thx for you post w link & quote. I'd like to see Google Earth and street views, esp'ly after LE comment about likely entering from roof.

Mission district is pretty vague for me. Street name? Cross street?
If actual address or pic was released, I missed it. Does anyone have more info re location? TiA.

@imstilla.grandma bbm sbm Thx for you post w link & quote. I'd like to see Google Earth and street views, esp'ly after LE comment about likely entering from roof.

If actual address or pic was released, I missed it. Does anyone have more info re location? TiA.
65 Guerrero Street. Guerrero St - Google Maps

Video shows an SF man enter his home. But a month later, he's nowhere to be found. (sfgate.com)
1200x0.jpg

The block of Guerrero Street in San Francisco where missing person Christopher Woitel lives.

Christopher Woitel: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

2/18/2021

The San Francisco Police Department said no foul play was suspected. His remains were found in a three-foot crawl space above his bathroom, which was hidden from view. Police believe he accessed the crawl space from his roof, and not from his apartment. His cause of death was still pending autopsy at the time of the announcement Wednesday, February 17, 2021.

[..]

Woitel struggled with depression at times, his sister, Lara Haben, told Mission Local. Woitel was the fourth child in a family of six children. Much of his family, including his parents, live in the Chicago area. Woitel moved to San Francisco to pursue “new dreams,” Haben told the news outlet.

Woitel attended college and learned many computer languages, but never earned his formal degree. He no longer had steady work and lived on disability income for depression, his sister said. His longtime partner died 10 years ago, and he coped with his grief by “taking care of people,” with a special desire to help homeless people.

[..]

Woitel sent texts to family and friends shortly before his disappearance that they described as strange and paranoid in interviews with Mission Local. They said he became fixated on the riots at the U.S. Capitol and said that he felt unsafe at his home, saying he thought violence may spread to his community. He asked for money and said he wanted to hide away in the mountains.

What's on Rooftop?
65 Guerrero Street. Guerrero St - Google Maps
Video shows an SF man enter his home. But a month later, he's nowhere to be found. (sfgate.com)
1200x0.jpg

The block of Guerrero Street in San Francisco where missing person Christopher Woitel lives.
@PommyMommy Thx for your prompt response. Of course. you had it immed'ly. :)^ pic, behind silver car at grey-green arch framing double door, I see 65 street number.

Per LE, he likely accessed crawl space from roof.
1. Getting to roof, then crawl space?
Right side of pic shows fire escape ladder from 2nd story to roof top.
Pix 7 & 15 Trulia listing* for unit 4, which is apparently not the top level, show stairway which seems to be inside an (open?) atrium in bldg.
So access to roof = either fire escape ladder in front or atrium stairway in bldg (or other?).
Then from roof, get to crawl space.

2. Firefighters had to cut a hole through the ceiling to get his body out.**
^ Not cutting hole thru roof/outside. Says thru ceiling, implying cutting from inside.
Earlier article*** said his body was found above his bathroom?
Combining these 2 bits of info, was his unit/apt on top level, 3rd story?
Trying to imagine FF's using biiiig equipment inside a bathroom to cut hole in ceiling.:eek:

3. Trying to get birdseye view of roof. It is plain flat roof? A little hut/shed to access crawl space? Does it have 'terrace' feel, chairs, tables, etc, dining al fresco? Sunbathing?

4. What doing/why
on roof or crawlspace? Someone else there? Friend, stranger?

Very puzzling, hoping for answers for Mr. Woitel. RIP.

65 guerrero street

What's on Rooftop?
@PommyMommy Thx for your prompt response. Of course. you had it immed'ly. :)^ pic, behind silver car at grey-green arch framing double door, I see 65 street number.

Per LE, he likely accessed crawl space from roof.
1. Getting to roof, then crawl space?
Right side of pic shows fire escape ladder from 2nd story to roof top.
Pix 7 & 15 Trulia listing* for unit 4, which is apparently not the top level, show stairway which seems to be inside an (open?) atrium in bldg.
So access to roof = either fire escape ladder in front or atrium stairway in bldg (or other?).
Then from roof, get to crawl space.

2. Firefighters had to cut a hole through the ceiling to get his body out.**
^ Not cutting hole thru roof/outside. Says thru ceiling, implying cutting from inside.
Earlier article*** said his body was found above his bathroom?
Combining these 2 bits of info, was his unit/apt on top level, 3rd story?
Trying to imagine FF's using biiiig equipment inside a bathroom to cut hole in ceiling.:eek:

3. Trying to get birdseye view of roof. It is plain flat roof? A little hut/shed to access crawl space? Does it have 'terrace' feel, chairs, tables, etc, dining al fresco? Sunbathing?

4. What doing/why
on roof or crawlspace? Someone else there? Friend, stranger?

Very puzzling, hoping for answers for Mr. Woitel. RIP.
Great List!

3. Also, if he entered the attic via roof access was it a locked entrance to the attic? Who had keys?
and
5. Cause of death?

If CW had been deceased up there for a month there must have been quite an odor.

Birdseye? Anyone? Pls.
Great List!
3. Also, if he entered the attic via roof access was it a locked entrance to the attic? Who had keys?....
@Puzzles8 sbm Thanks. And thanks for additions to list.
A link to good birdseye view of roof would give us idea about access to attic/crawl space.

From st. view, looks to me like it would be a plain flat roof.
If so, a flat hinged hatch door, horizontal on roof, to access attic/crawl space would not be the right thing, unless hatch door tightly sealed like a submarine. Even w a tight seal, from time to time rain water would accumulate on roof. When person opens hatch door, whoosh:
a
.......waterfall
.............cascades
...........................into the
........................................ crawl space.
So how could repair peeps - electricians - work?
I azz-ume there's a 3 ft hugh crawl space sitting atop the entire bldg, for a flat roof.
Could be all wrong.
Pix, we need pix and or links. TiA.

Birdseye? Anyone? Pls.
@Puzzles8 sbm Thanks. And thanks for additions to list.
A link to good birdseye view of roof would give us idea about access to attic/crawl space.

From st. view, looks to me like it would be a plain flat roof.
If so, a flat hinged hatch door, horizontal on roof, to access attic/crawl space would not be the right thing, unless hatch door tightly sealed like a submarine. Even w a tight seal, from time to time rain water would accumulate on roof. When person opens hatch door, whoosh:
a
.......waterfall
.............cascades
...........................into the
........................................ crawl space.
So how could repair peeps - electricians - work?
I azz-ume there's a 3 ft hugh crawl space sitting atop the entire bldg, for a flat roof.
Could be all wrong.
Pix, we need pix and or links. TiA.
This is the best I could get from Google Earth. It would not let me screenshot it. Hope this link works
Google Earth

Looks like there may be a stairway to the roof from the inside of building. (triangle seen on roof view?).

If the building was built on a slab, I would think the mechanics of the building were in the three foot top attic. Furnace, A/C, water heater, possibly a building internet router. Cable/satellite connections.

Maybe he was trying to get up there to fix something, and got stuck or even might have had a heartattack while he was up there. Also, if there was a furnace up there - possibility of CO2 poisoning.

This article states his apartment was on the third floor.
Police investigating the mysterious disappearance of Christopher Woitel — one month later - Mission Local

This is the best I could get from Google Earth. It would not let me screenshot it. Hope this link works
Google Earth

Looks like there may be a stairway to the roof from the inside of building. (triangle seen on roof view?).

If the building was built on a slab, I would think the mechanics of the building were in the three foot top attic. Furnace, A/C, water heater, possibly a building internet router. Cable/satellite connections.

Maybe he was trying to get up there to fix something, and got stuck or even might have had a heartattack while he was up there. Also, if there was a furnace up there - possibility of CO2 poisoning.

This article states his apartment was on the third floor.
Police investigating the mysterious disappearance of Christopher Woitel — one month later - Mission Local
Sounds like Elisa Lam

amateur opinion and speculation

Great List!

3. Also, if he entered the attic via roof access was it a locked entrance to the attic? Who had keys?
and
5. Cause of death?

If CW had been deceased up there for a month there must have been quite an odor.
This is what puzzles me as well. But if the attic is cool or even cold, maybe that helped preserve CW’s remains? I really hate typing that.

His depression is worrisome with the no foul play suspected. Offering prayers for Christopher and his loved ones.

This is the best I could get from Google Earth. It would not let me screenshot it. Hope this link works. Google Earth
Maybe he was trying to get up there to fix something, and got stuck or even might have had a heartattack while he was up there. Also, if there was a furnace up there - possibility of CO2 poisoning....
@Puzzles8. bbm sbm TYVM. Terrific pic of roof.
Yes, looks like atrium stairway toward back-center of bldg. Also shown in earlier reatlor.com.

Bldg on slab? Yes, could be. Kinda looks like a pre-1906 earthquake era. Again, thx.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back