Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think LE has filled the family in and closed the case? I kind of doubt LE is going to say anything else to the public.
Yes.
As I posted upthread, unless Barb had a bullet in her skull or a hatchet in her spine, her cause of death will likely be "undetermined" or "inconclusive" due to level of decomposition.
There were a few on the thread who wanted to wait and get a copy of the death cert.

I do think it is highly likely that there will be no more additional information coming from LE on this matter.

Amateur opinion and speculation

IMO only- I think given the attention of this case in that area and beyond, if they had found her 70 miles away they might have been more forthcoming about the location. I think they are being sensitive to her family, minimizing the information released, because she was very near to where they became separated. It gives them all time to go out there and pay their respects etc...

Nothing is preventing the "hikers" who found her from coming forward and they are strangely silent and unidentified.

Essex is NOT "near where they became separated". Essex isn't near anything but a railroad track and a rather bad stretch of old Rt. 66. Her getting from most anyplace along Kelbaker Rd. to the Essex area on foot that time of year, fueled by a beer, is near zero. Her getting from any starting point alongKelbaker Rd. at that time of year cross-country is inexplicable without her being moved to that location in a vehicle by another person/persons. From I-40 to Essx is 6.22 miles in a straight line. Had she used the road, it is likely that somebody would have seen her either in Fenner or the evirons. Fenner stays pretty busy as there's a truckstop, an overpriced gas station & rip-off market there. Had a stranger dumped her in the Essex area, the people of Essex would likely have noticed the vehicle & or activity if it is anywhere near the tiny way station itself. That chunk of the desert is some terribly inhospitable ground, even for the Mojave Desert. I'd think that somebody(ies) among the few people living in Essex would be sleeping poorly once she was found.

Essex is NOT "near where they became separated". Essex isn't near anything but a railroad track and a rather bad stretch of old Rt. 66. Her getting from most anyplace along Kelbaker Rd. to the Essex area on foot that time of year, fueled by a beer, is near zero. Her getting from any starting point alongKelbaker Rd. at that time of year cross-country is inexplicable without her being moved to that location in a vehicle by another person/persons. From I-40 to Essx is 6.22 miles in a straight line. Had she used the road, it is likely that somebody would have seen her either in Fenner or the evirons. Fenner stays pretty busy as there's a truckstop, an overpriced gas station & rip-off market there. Had a stranger dumped her in the Essex area, the people of Essex would likely have noticed the vehicle & or activity if it is anywhere near the tiny way station itself. That chunk of the desert is some terribly inhospitable ground, even for the Mojave Desert. I'd think that somebody(ies) among the few people living in Essex would be sleeping poorly once she was found.
She was found off Kelbaker Rd and Kelbaker doesn't extend to Essex. https://local.nixle.com/alert/8425388/

Once again - "Essex" is used as a general term covering a wide area.
If you click on the map at the spot on Kelbaker Road where the Thomases parked their RV, the tag that comes up says
"Kelbaker Road, Essex, Ca."

upload_2021-2-23_12-50-26.png

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

RT's statements

KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas
July 15, 2019

:38 "By the time I took the picture, she was continuing on because she wanted to use the RV, and she rounded the corner, and I lost sight of her."

:51 "They had the, the, uh fire trucks out there, the ambulance, paramedics; they had the, the, they actually brought a dog team out later, they had the helicopter that was comin' in."

1:13 "My feeling is that she was picked up because she had to cross the highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand."

1:28 "I just want my wife back. And, if somebody out there has her, which I feel somebody does, please, uh, drop her off in a safe place where uh, she can contact us. And, that's it."

1:52 "And, we always tell each other before we go to bed at night how much we love each other. So whoever has her, please release her. No questions asked."

July 17, 2019
Inside Edition

:20 "I would just beg that they would, uh, release her no questions asked. I just want her..." (doesn't finish his sentence)

:51 "I hollered her name and I waved my arms and I looked around the area and I saw that she wasn’t anywhere around. She didn't respond. then I got very panicky.”

1:12 "I feel that, uh, somebody picked her up, uh, because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road."

1:32 "The police consider me the prime suspect because it was just the two of us."

1:38 "Yes, I took a polygraph test. They told me that I was being deceptive. Now, I know that polygraphs aren't 100 percent, and I had not had any sleep."

1:53 "Absolutely not." (In response to being asked if he had anything to do with his wife's disappearance.)

2:00 "She is the love of my life. Come home, we're missing her."

Last edited by a moderator:
RT's statements

KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas
July 15, 2019

:38 "By the time I took the picture, she was continuing on because she wanted to use the RV, and she rounded the corner, and I lost sight of her."

:51 "They had the, the, uh fire trucks out there, the ambulance, paramedics; they had the, the, they actually brought a dog team out later, they had the helicopter that was comin' in."

1:13 "My feeling is that she was picked up because she had to cross the highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand."

1:28 "I just want my wife back. And, if somebody out there has her, which I feel somebody does, please, uh, drop her off in a safe place where uh, she can contact us. And, that's it."

1:52 "And, we always tell each other before we go to bed at night how much we love each other. So whoever has her, please release her. No questions asked."

July 17, 2019
Inside Edition

:20 "I would just beg that they would, uh, release her no questions asked. I just want her..." (doesn't finish his sentence)

:51 "I hollered her name and I waved my arms and I looked around the area and I saw that she wasn’t anywhere around. She didn't respond. then I got very panicky.”

1:12 "I feel that, uh, somebody picked her up, uh, because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road."

1:32 "The police consider me the prime suspect because it was just the two of us."

1:38 "Yes, I took a polygraph test. They told me that I was being deceptive. Now, I know that polygraphs aren't 100 percent, and I had not had any sleep."

1:53 "Absolutely not." (In response to being asked if he had anything to do with his wife's disappearance.)

2:00 "She is the love of my life. Come home, we're missing her."

Thank you for this!

IMO just makes my hinky-o-meter go off all over again! As it did BT's relatives...

I need to search further for the "I just want her back at home" - I read that & the 'at home' isn't some common thing my brain would insert - it really stood out.....

Thanks again :)

Wished to edit a post of mine - apparently too late to do so.....but for those unaware: Kelbaker road is almost 70 miles long.......

So...yeah: unless I missed where BT was located (maybe I did!) - being located off Kelbaker road does not mean she was anywhere near their RV stop-off point...
Kelbaker Road, a scenic drive through the Mojave Desert

Another thing with the linguistic angle: what PommyMommy posted: he did not say "I"....had nothing to do etc...
He said "absolutely not" - he did not make this statement personal but impersonal. He did not make it his or own it.....it was vague, abstract.....no direct negation since it did not involve him in the statement: it's generic....

Last edited:
What do innocent husbands say, if there even is such a thing?

Yes, there is such a thing as an innocent husband. Sadly, we don’t see them that often. I’m thinking of Clint Heichel, husband of Whitney Heichel who was sexually assaulted and murdered by an acquaintance of theirs in the Portland OR area in 2012. Unfortunately, there were a few on the thread who strongly suspected her husband, despite the timeline making it impossible. Thankfully, they had the grace to admit they were wrong and apologize.

Clint made the “mistake” of having a slight nervous chuckle (or did he clear his throat?) before attempting to speak at the press conference and starting to cry. I’m not sure if he ever got any words out at that time, but I recall him speaking to a reporter later and his demeanor wasn’t “suspicious.” He just related facts about the morning she disappeared and was clearly distraught, as I recall (videos are no longer available). It was a gut-wrenching case of newlyweds’ lives being ripped apart.

Page on thread #2 announcing the arrest of Whitney’s killer and the simultaneous finding of her body.
GUILTY - OR - Whitney Heichel, 21, Gresham, 16 Oct 2012 #2

Um, the place where the RV was supposedly parked is the ‘Essex area.’ No one’s claimed that her body was found in ‘downtown Essex’—a phrase that I realize is pretty ridiculous.

Here we go again with the accusations. I cannot fathom why some people seem to want poor Barbara to have met a violent end at the hands of someone she loved.
It's a great pity that Robert's niece stopped posting here. Perhaps people would have been kinder if she had continued. She could certainly confirm exactly where Barbara was found.

Here we go again with the accusations. I cannot fathom why some people seem to want poor Barbara to have met a violent end at the hands of someone she loved.
It's a great pity that Robert's niece stopped posting here. Perhaps people would have been kinder if she had continued. She could certainly confirm exactly where Barbara was found.
Are you able to share how you know the niece could confirm? If we had a credible source it would certainly end a lot of speculation.

If anyone wants an example of an "innocent husband" in a case of a missing partner, I'd watch Shane Carey's interviews in the case of Heidi Broussard. His responses were thought to be very suspicious, until evidence showed he had nothing to do with it.

She could. She could also do so elsewhere on the post that she created to inform of Barbara's body being found, but she didn't. Its understandable IMO that people are still suspicious. It can't be nice for family members to read that their Uncle is still under suspicion of foul play and it seems to me the easiest way to put the rumour to bed would be to confirm the location of the remains and cause of death if known. Thats what I would do and it makes me wonder why they haven't.

She could. She could also do so elsewhere on the post that she created to inform of Barbara's body being found, but she didn't. Its understandable IMO that people are still suspicious. It can't be nice for family members to read that their Uncle is still under suspicion of foul play and it seems to me the easiest way to put the rumour to bed would be to confirm the location of the remains and cause of death if known. Thats what I would do and it makes me wonder why they haven't.
I'm not sure if I would. If I was satisfied that the people who mattered knew, I probably wouldn't give a fig what a bunch of strangers on the internet thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong