UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he 100% sure it was her? Seems a bit out of character even if drunk
But @cheddarcat revelation could be very important... the driver would never have expected to be quoted on WS !
He said that he had taken her to Acomb a few times so I'm assuming he recognised her.
and as far as you know he has contacted the police yes ??

Is he 100% sure it was her? Seems a bit out of character even if drunk
Trouble is, having spent many thousands of hours of pubs over the years I've known, and seen numerous people whose character completely alters when drunk, virtually none for the better, some act so out of character it's like seeing a different person, most of them are acutley embarrassed afterwards and keep a low profile, maybe that explains claudias absence from the pub in the days before she died, she was supposed to have been hammered about a week before, maybe she said or did the wrong thing to the wrong person and became a problem they had to solve, by whatever means

Oh I see what you mean, like passing on drugs or something?
Just a quick response here, CL seems to have had an unblemished work record and a conscientious employee. Working for local authority, which she must have been, the slightest hint of trouble and she would be out the door, they do vigorous pre employment checks and I've actually seen an employee, discharged mid shift because the HR department had read something in the local news.
I reckon she would be sober and diligent at work, wouldn't have chanced anything dubious.

When I mentioned her and asked about it he said "urgh, horrible woman". I asked why he thought that and he said she had spat in his face and accused him of taking her the longer route instead of the route she had requested. I guess that fits in with reports of her being being little 'messy' when drunk and saying the wrong thing or upsetting people

There you go, even 10 sheets to the wind she was canny with her spending.

Trouble is, having spent many thousands of hours of pubs over the years I've known, and seen numerous people whose character completely alters when drunk, virtually none for the better, some act so out of character it's like seeing a different person, most of them are acutley embarrassed afterwards and keep a low profile, maybe that explains claudias absence from the pub in the days before she died, she was supposed to have been hammered about a week before, maybe she said or did the wrong thing to the wrong person and became a problem they had to solve, by whatever means

Absolutely this !!!!
Drink was the demise of CL. I am totally convinced something happened at the NH on Gold Cup day.
CL made bad choices when drunk, as we all do at times. But I think it was to the extreme with CL. She reverted to teenage behaviour when drunk and clearly didn't have a little bell of caution ringing in her head.
She started something she couldn't get out of.
I bet she pissed people off all the time when she'd had one too many.
Dangerous combination for CL, alcohol and a man giving her the eye. Wrong man on gold cup day imo.

Absolutely this !!!!
Drink was the demise of CL. I am totally convinced something happened at the NH on Gold Cup day.
CL made bad choices when drunk, as we all do at times. But I think it was to the extreme with CL. She reverted to teenage behaviour when drunk and clearly didn't have a little bell of caution ringing in her head.
She started something she couldn't get out of.
I bet she pissed people off all the time when she'd had one too many.
Dangerous combination for CL, alcohol and a man giving her the eye. Wrong man on gold cup day imo.
Agree but not necessarily on Gold Cup day !

Yes that could be possible x
order for holiday Clothing x

This scenario feels like the best fit to me - explains why she returns home and then goes out again, after finding a missed delivery card on the doormat (if it was a shopping errand she could have picked it up en route - either at the mini market on Melrosegate or by asking to be dropped by the Costcutter).

The timing out and back to East Parade PO fits. The apparent presence of her passport in her handbag - used as photo ID when collecting the parcel. Also, possibly the presence of her handbag in the bedroom - CL having gone straight upstairs on her return to try on the new clothing. On that basis you might suppose that the order was unlikely to be a hat, scarf or coat.

The obvious question would then be, was the wrapping or contents of any such parcel found in the house? Presumably this would be known to NYP as a result of contacting any catalogue companies she had dealings with and routine canvassing of local shops and businesses in 2009.

Last edited:
This scenario feels like the best fit to me - explains why she returns home and then goes out again, after finding a missed delivery card on the doormat (if it was a shopping errand she could have picked it up en route - either at the mini market on Melrosegate or by asking to be dropped by the Costcutter).

The timing out and back to East Parade PO fits. The apparent presence of her passport in her handbag - used as photo ID when collecting the parcel. Also, possibly the presence of her handbag in the bedroom - CL having gone straight upstairs on her return to try on the new clothing. On that basis you might suppose that the order was unlikely to be a hat, scarf or coat.

The obvious question would then be, was the wrapping or contents of any such parcel found in the house? Presumably this would be known to NYP as a result of contacting any catalogue companies she had dealings with and routine canvassing of local shops and businesses in 2009.
But wouldn't there be a photo a) Claudia picks up parcel from Post Office or b) Claudia picks up parcel from Costcutter or even c) Claudia returns walking back past post box photos.

But wouldn't there be a photo a) Claudia picks up parcel from Post Office or b) Claudia picks up parcel from Costcutter or even c) Claudia returns walking back past post box photos.
Remember this is East Parade PO I’m talking about, not Melrosegate, where she was seen by cctv posting the letter earlier. To get there she would walk past the NH and then turn right at Heworth Rd/East Parade junction - 6 mins walking according to Google maps. In this case she may not have been seen by the Costcutter cctv camera (assuming it was working), which points towards Melrosegate - a possible further indication that she turned right there onto East Parade. IIRC she was seen by a private house cctv towards that end of Heworth Road on her return.

That said, if East Parade PO had cctv on the counter at the time and/or was canvassed by NYP immediately following the disappearance, her presence there would be known.

East Parade PO is also a few doors along from RC’s house, FWIW.

Last edited:
Just a quick response here, CL seems to have had an unblemished work record and a conscientious employee. Working for local authority, which she must have been, the slightest hint of trouble and she would be out the door, they do vigorous pre employment checks and I've actually seen an employee, discharged mid shift because the HR department had read something in the local news.
I reckon she would be sober and diligent at work, wouldn't have chanced anything dubious.

This is why I thought her work colleague's account of her coming into work after being out until 3 or 4am with the new boyfriend seemed a bit suspicious. If she had been out drinking, wouldn't she have been at work still drunk if she was starting a 5 am shift? I've known chefs be sent home for still being tipsy after a night out for health and safety reasons.

Their would be evidence on her bank statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member