TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe MB was targeted.

The Swat perp knew what they were going to do at the church early that morning. The disguise was a perfect way to eliminate as much DNA as possible during a struggle. Everything was covered, head, face, body, hands and feet including pants tucked into boots/socks or shoes. The puncture wounds to her head and chest seem personal. It aligns more with an emotional killing than a fantasy killing.

jmo

Last Homicides in Midlothian TX?
Midlothian resident here....It's just crazy that they haven't solved this case, but this is a smallish town and we have never experienced something like this. I think our last murder was in the 80's, undercover cop George Rayfield was killed by two high school boys over drugs.
@Curious21 bbm snipped for focus
Briefly, per source below, Midlothian homicides = one in each yr, 2007, 2009, & 2016. and shows zero for 2017 & 2018, the most recent yrs reported. The first year in table is 2006, so 3 since then.

Just fyi and fwiw. Not so briefly, I often search city-data.com w city's name to get a sense of the place where a crime occurred.
Typically the city-data info shows info based on LE reports, some to the FBI, which annually compiles & publishes in form of Uniform Crime Report.*
Usually city-data.com has multiple crime graphics.

For Missy Bevers, I read: http://www.city-data.com/city/Midlothian-Texas.html

1. Crime Rates = table w raw numbers and rates (per capita figures) classified by types of crime, annually over 10 yr period.

Also click on this text, just above Crime Rates table,
" were 45 registered sex offenders living in Midlothian "
which maps residences of Registered Sex Offenders in area, and
lists w names, aliases, addresses, offense & date, age, physical description, etc.

2. Crime Index bar chart compares Midlothian to U.S. average, annually over 10yr period.

Also click on this text, just below the Crime Index bar chart,
" Crime rate in Midlothian detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson"
for more detailed stats on crime, including a mapping of crime locations.

The Swat perp knew what they were going to do at the church early that morning. The disguise was a perfect way to eliminate as much DNA as possible during a struggle. Everything was covered, head, face, body, hands and feet including pants tucked into boots/socks or shoes. The puncture wounds to her head and chest seem personal. It aligns more with an emotional killing than a fantasy killing.

jmo
I suppose a fantasy killing is possible and such a person might not be someone Missy knew. That is, the killer knew of her, but she didn't know them. One of the least likely of my scenarios, but not one I thought of till now. (An interrupted robbery is my least likely.) Targeted murder, for whatever reason, is one I would consider more than a fantasy or interrupted robbery. I go with the unintended killing by the person in the SWAT gear as the most likely. But they are all on the table from what little I know about the crime as I can find pros and cons for each.

I suppose a fantasy killing is possible and such a person might not be someone Missy knew. That is, the killer knew of her, but she didn't know them. One of the least likely of my scenarios, but not one I thought of till now. (An interrupted robbery is my least likely.) Targeted murder, for whatever reason, is one I would consider more than a fantasy or interrupted robbery. I go with the unintended killing by the person in the SWAT gear as the most likely. But they are all on the table from what little I know about the crime as I can find pros and cons for each.

Targeted with unintended killing is still on the table for me, but I definitely feel MB was the intended target.

so seems the poi had committed SA in the past using his uniform ...and it seems he went to the same church and that's why he was at the funeral offering security services ? .. .the whole thing is def suspicious ...but who knows if they cleared him right away

Last Homicides in Midlothian TX?
@Curious21 bbm snipped for focus
Briefly, per source below, Midlothian homicides = one in each yr, 2007, 2009, & 2016. and shows zero for 2017 & 2018, the most recent yrs reported. The first year in table is 2006, so 3 since then.
FYI and JMHO, it is a mistake for any of us to think of this as a small-town or Midlothian murder. This killing did not occur in a town; it occurred on a highway. It did not occur in Midlothian; it occurred in a Midlo zip code but was only a mile or so from a Waxahachie zip code which I guess would have had us debating how many murders happen in Wax.

We need to remember, this is the DFW metroplex. The towns all butt right up against one another. Past Waxahachie you have the town of Maypearl, where Jon Garner was murdered the year after Missy died and Sandra Garner was acquitted.

Then you have the towns of Red Oak, Ovilla, Lancaster, Ennis, etc. And you’re 40 mins from the big city. There are literally millions of people in population within 45 mins of that church.

Why didn’t the Midlo PD say any of this? I think it’s because they didn’t want anything to ruin the growth of the region through urban sprawl. It’s like the mayor in Jaws assuring people that it’s safe to go back in the water.

Crime in Midlothian? Or Nearby?
FYI and JMHO, it is a mistake for any of us to think of this as a small-town or Midlothian murder... It did not occur in Midlothian ...
@Lhughessk bbm snipped for focus I did not think of Midlothian as a small town, and my post did not characterize it that way either. My apologies if it came across as somehow disparaging.

Per links* Midlothian PD was handling investigation, so it seemed imo Midlo crime figures were relevant, but I could be wrong. My post just linked factual info re Midlo murders from government sources.** Ppl may find it useful on this & other Websleuths threads. Or not.

As a former resident of a town w 5000 population, I enjoyed every minute:cool:; I've also lived in a couple large cities. Both types of locales have pros and cons. :)
Brandon Bevers ... walk out of the Midlothian police department ..."
Internet Sleuths Muddy Waters and Wreck Lives in Missy Bevers’ Murder Investigation bbm sbm Jan 31, 2017.
** city-data.com publishes cities' data on crime, among many other categories of info.

City-Data - Wikipedia

Crime in Midlothian? Or Nearby?
@Lhughessk bbm snipped for focus I did not think of Midlothian as a small town, and my post did not characterize it that way either. My apologies if it came across as somehow disparaging.

Per links* Midlothian PD was handling investigation, so it seemed imo Midlo crime figures were relevant, but I could be wrong. My post just linked factual info re Midlo murders from government sources.** Ppl may find it useful on this & other Websleuths threads. Or not.

As a former resident of a town w 5000 population, I enjoyed every minute:cool:; I've also lived in a couple large cities. Both types of locales have pros and cons. :)
Brandon Bevers ... walk out of the Midlothian police department ..."
Internet Sleuths Muddy Waters and Wreck Lives in Missy Bevers’ Murder Investigation bbm sbm Jan 31, 2017.
** city-data.com publishes cities' data on crime, among many other categories of info.

City-Data - Wikipedia
No, I wasn’t intending to call you out specifically at all. Or anyone else, for that matter. It just seemed like a good time to point out some things that a lot of people don’t seem to realize. And for good reason, because MPD and the media don’t portray it accurately.

Last edited:

jmo

I have to ask. What does a fantasy killing look like?

No, I wasn’t intending to call you out specifically at all. Or anyone else, for that matter. It just seemed like a good time to point out some things that a lot of people don’t seem to realize. And for good reason, because MPD and the media don’t portray it accurately.
@Lhughessk Thanks for your kind response. And you were making a good point.
Now thinking about it, is Midlo PD still handling this? Or TX Rangers? Or ??? TiA

Twenty-five, thirty years ago we would have said, "It would be great, if we have the person on video!" Now we have cases like this, Jennifer Kesse and Abigail Williams/Liberty German where we have the killer on video and it doesn't give us enough. Here LE has video, but probably no fingerprints or DNA. To make matters worse this guy is not likely to be any criminal genius - just lucky enough not to be caught.

Here LE has video, but probably no fingerprints or DNA.
Snipped and BBM. There is DNA. Police only mentioned it once, and it was in an interview with the local Waxahachie paper. Notice they say the sample was not sufficient to do cutting edge facial composite technology, but they don’t say it was useless in general. It’s a partial, mixed profile. Hopefully they at least determined gender from it and can perhaps use it to rule out suspects as they look at them.

"The little bit of physical evidence that we had we actually sent to a private lab. We sent it to them specifically because they were involved in that technology and the ability to do that," Johnson said. "The problem was the quality of the sample we sent was not sufficient. They needed more of a complete profile and what we had was a partial and mixed profile."

https://www.waxahachietx.com/news/20180126/new-lead-investigator-in-murder-of-missy-bevers-putting-together-team-of-fresh-eyes%3ftemplate=ampart

I started following this case a couple years ago when I first heard about it on a true crime podcast. I didn't join WS until after the thread had been closed, so this is my first time posting on Missy's thread.

I at first thought this was targeted against MB. I still haven't totally abandoned that theory, but especially reading some of your insightful posts here, I do think now that it could have been "wrong place, wrong time" for her in a robbery-gone-bad. Or if not a robbery a "mess this place up because I have a vendetta"-gone-bad.

I do think if they wanted to steal stuff, they would have gotten in and out quickly and not moseyed around for half an hour. However, maybe it is someone who was ticked off at the church or a minister/pastor at the church and just wanted to taunt them on the video and do some damage inside. The nonchalant walking around comes across as taunting to me - they likely knew there was video and that after the pastor/minister (sorry, not sure what the leader of this church is called) saw the damage, s/he would have gone and watched the video footage and seen this individual taunting them. Now what kind of person would do this? Who knows? A former church member? Someone who got disillusioned with the church? Someone who wanted a position of authority in the church and was turned down? Someone who had an ex that was involved with this church? I think the possibilities could really be endless here. It could even be a young person who was just up to some mischief and was anti-church/religion and thought, "why not? This one seems pretty isolated."

I think the footage of the car across the street could have been them scoping it out and making sure no one was randomly working really late at the church that night or even watching to see if any police came out that way to patrol in the middle of the night. It may have just been awful, terrible luck that Missy had this workout class there. I wonder if her workout classes were also advertised in church bulletins/during church services?

An inexperienced criminal may have totally freaked out and panicked when a woman they did not expect to be there showed up and they went way overboard to make sure they left no witnesses, hence her ending up murdered.

This is all MOO. And like I said, I think I could also come up with reasons this was targeted, but I am now leaning a bit more away from that.

I have to ask. What does a fantasy killing look like?
I mean that the perp is not acting from a comprehensible purpose (money or jealousy), or from an everyday emotion, but is enacting a fantasy they have played out over and over in their mind.

For example, school shooters, like the Columbine pair, were carrying out an elaborate pre-planned fantasy of destroying their school and everyone in it.

Many, not all, sex crimes/murders are the same, for example a middle-aged Chicago professor recruited an online partner to carry out his SM fantasy of murdering his boyfriend, giving the recruit specific instructions on what to do. There was no apparent emotion or purpose, except to act out a script in the killers mind. I think it's very common, we just don't usually have an accomplice to testify.

Someone might have a long-held fantasy around killing a pretty blond woman, and add in the idea of strutting around in a SWAT costume, as part of the pleasure of anticipating, and then later remembering (and feeling famous every time the footage is viewed).

MOO

A similarly confusing/creepy video is the one of Elisa Lam, a young woman apparently experiencing some kind of mental health issue.
With that in mind, the church perp could have been someone acting out his fantasy/psychosis -
Imagine them putting on protective gear to execute a mission to confront a monster or whatever.
They smash through time and space -breaking glass can be quite satisfying and makes a pleasing sound, ( although wondering if the perp's hearing was dulled by the helmet worn).
Room by room, door by door, they look for entities that must be destroyed, and then they find one, Missy Bevers.
Wondering if there is a video game with a layout similar to the church?
speculation, fwiw, imo.

Last edited:
Snipped and BBM. There is DNA. Police only mentioned it once, and it was in an interview with the local Waxahachie paper. Notice they say the sample was not sufficient to do cutting edge facial composite technology, but they don’t say it was useless in general. It’s a partial, mixed profile. Hopefully they at least determined gender from it and can perhaps use it to rule out suspects as they look at them.

"The little bit of physical evidence that we had we actually sent to a private lab. We sent it to them specifically because they were involved in that technology and the ability to do that," Johnson said. "The problem was the quality of the sample we sent was not sufficient. They needed more of a complete profile and what we had was a partial and mixed profile."

https://www.waxahachietx.com/news/20180126/new-lead-investigator-in-murder-of-missy-bevers-putting-together-team-of-fresh-eyes%3ftemplate=ampart
Thanks! This is the first time I've seen anything on DNA.

I heard this yesterday on a podcast. Regarding the killer walking around the church - Could they have been looking for the video recording equipment? If that is the case, could that explain why the person was in there for that amount of time before the murder? If it really was a robbery (which I doubt) or vandalism they held off on what they planned till they found and disabled or removed the equipment? They didn't accomplish their planned effort because Missy came in unexpectedly before they could locate it? Or Missy was targeted, but they didn't find it before she arrived? I tend to believe Missy wasn't targeted because this person would likely have gone to a room or place where they could see her drive up rather than walk around. But if they were still in the process of trying to locate the video equipment when she arrived that would explain the wandering around.

jmo
BBM. I believe that MB was targeted, too.

When my husband saw the video, he immediately said, "That's a female." I thought the perp was a female, too.

I have my suspicions. Perhaps, the police do, too, but not enough evidence to make an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member