GUILTY NY - Trevor Schneider, 19 mos, smothered, Niagara Falls, 5 Sept 2007

It seems she has a history of mental problems. It's a shame someone with such a past can have a kid. This is how it turned out.

Schneider spent part of Thursday beginning to make funeral arrangements for the son he said he hadn’t been allowed to see in six or seven months.
He blamed the Niagara County Family Court system for awarding joint custody to Mahoney and her mother, while allowing him only supervised visits.
When the couple split up, Mahoney and her mother were given joint custody of the child, Schneider said, with the stipulation that Shauna Mahoney never be permitted to be alone with the baby.
“Shauna should have never been left alone,” he said.
That custody ruling was broken Wednesday evening.
dear god...

yes this woman should never have had a baby, huge red flags. She was also not supposed to be left alone with the baby.

VB

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/156872.html

i don't even have any words for this. My son just turned 19 months, i'd cut off my arm before i'd hurt him, or let him be hurt.

Chemical imbalances, caused by childbirth or drugs or whatever, never cease to amaze me. One mother can lay her life down for her child without a second's hesitation - another can calmly state that their child is dead. It's amazing how the brain functions (or doesn't function.)

Chemical imbalances, caused by childbirth or drugs or whatever, never cease to amaze me. One mother can lay her life down for her child without a second's hesitation - another can calmly state that their child is dead. It's amazing how the brain functions (or doesn't function.)
what i find amazing are the actions of those without mental illness in this case. the cps workers that know the child is at such risk that they order mom to not be alone with the baby but leave the child with her. the grandparents who have her committed and know the rule but leave her alone with the child and in 10 minutes the baby is dead and police are on the scene.

i wonder every night, how would i go on if something happened to either one of my kids (and trust me, life with my daughter has been rough). I don't understand how you can look at your baby and do it harm. My son, i bonded with the instant i saw him on my sonogram, My daughter and i never "bonded" well, but from the day she was born, i lived "for her". Now she's 14yrs old, yet i feel the same, i LIVE for my kids.

I just don't understand killer moms...

what i find amazing are the actions of those without mental illness in this case. the cps workers that know the child is at such risk that they order mom to not be alone with the baby but leave the child with her. the grandparents who have her committed and know the rule but leave her alone with the child and in 10 minutes the baby is dead and police are on the scene.

Good point. It's much easier to be able to say "it's a chemical thing, therefore I don't get it" than to think that normal human beings can be so messed up in their thinking.

I couldn't agree more that people seemed to know this young woman was mentally troubled and should not have been alone with this child. I do not understand why she was granted custody. How can you give physical custody to a person who you find unstable enough to be alone with the child?:waitasec: :confused:

I know, I cant imagine living without any of them especially if I was the cause of it. My nurse when I was pregnant for my first child accidentally backed up over her son who was about 6 I think and he was killed and it ate away at her and she couldnt take it so she finally shot herself. I felt so sorry for her because she truly didnt mean it.

This women was clearly documented unstable..

I am more inclined to hold those who knew this and yet left her with the baby MORE responsible then an obviously mentally unstable women.

Someone who is deeply mentally ill cannot be held responsible when courts and DCF all said she was not to be left with the child.

I am more inclined to hold those who knew this and yet left her with the baby MORE responsible then an obviously mentally unstable women.

Someone who is deeply mentally ill cannot be held responsible when courts and DCF all said she was not to be left with the child.

I agree with you Amraann. This woman was clearly too unstable to care for that baby and the competant adults should be held responsible IMO. Who thought it would be alright to leave that little guy alone with her?

I agree with you Amra. The rules were clear and they were broken. This is the result and they are as responsible as she is...more so in a way.

i wonder every night, how would i go on if something happened to either one of my kids (and trust me, life with my daughter has been rough). I don't understand how you can look at your baby and do it harm. My son, i bonded with the instant i saw him on my sonogram, My daughter and i never "bonded" well, but from the day she was born, i lived "for her". Now she's 14yrs old, yet i feel the same, i LIVE for my kids.

I just don't understand killer moms...

You sound just like me.

Cases like these are the reason we need the insanity defense.

Cases like these are the reason we need the insanity defense.
the defence for the mom maybe but what defence for the people who knew she was unstable but ignored the rule about not leaving her alone with a child? this tragedy was not caused by a mentally ill woman imo. it was caused by the healthy people around her that did not protect this baby. if they ever heal this mom's mind how do you heal her soul? once she understands what she did she faces a whole new set of problems. i can not understand how this mom and this baby were placed in this position by people who new better. sorry i am rambling on but this is such a avoidable death.

the defence for the mom maybe but what defence for the people who knew she was unstable but ignored the rule about not leaving her alone with a child? this tragedy was not caused by a mentally ill woman imo. it was caused by the healthy people around her that did not protect this baby. if they ever heal this mom's mind how do you heal her soul? once she understands what she did she faces a whole new set of problems. i can not understand how this mom and this baby were placed in this position by people who new better. sorry i am rambling on but this is such a avoidable death.

Trust me, you don't need to convince me, I agree with you 100%, sherri!

Trust me, you don't need to convince me, I agree with you 100%, sherri!
sorry hun i guess it may have seemed i was talking directly to you when i was more venting my anger. so often we read about kids killed and nobody saw it coming. we read about a mom that snaps and nobody had a warning. in this case people knew. they could have stopped this one. i'm just frustrated i guess. didnt mean for my post to sound like i was going after you in anyway. forgive me? :blowkiss:

sorry hun i guess it may have seemed i was talking directly to you when i was more venting my anger. so often we read about kids killed and nobody saw it coming. we read about a mom that snaps and nobody had a warning. in this case people knew. they could have stopped this one. i'm just frustrated i guess. didnt mean for my post to sound like i was going after you in anyway. forgive me? :blowkiss:

LOL no reason to have to forgive you, I understand your frustration completely!!:blowkiss:

From February 2008:

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...cle_daedf484-c697-538a-8594-c330b53b559c.html

Shauna Mahoney took a deal from prosecutors Thursday and pleaded guilty to killing her 17-month-old son, Trevor Schneider.

The 20-year-old Niagara Falls woman told County Court Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza she understood what she was doing in pleading guilty to a charge of first-degree manslaughter in her son’s death on Sept. 5. She had faced a single count of second-degree murder.

In return for her guilty plea and a waiver of her right to appeal, prosecutors said they would recommend a determinate sentence of 10 years in prison and five years of parole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back