Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

I wonder why home schooling works for the kids who get schooled at home normally?

They use computers too....Humm....A whole 'nother kettle of fish!

Great quote:

“Fear may be what we feel, but brave is what we do.”

Sometimes people equate fear with weakness but it's that fear that creates bravery.

It's so easy to help someone without the fear, like throwing a rope to someone drowning in deep H20. This is not bravery.

Now the drowning person misses the rope and someone else, facing their own fear of drowning, dives in to retrieve the rope making sure the drowning person gets it.
This is bravery.
I assure you working in healthcare directly with covid patients for the last year, there has been great fear (legitimate fear), and countless, beautiful, often tragic, examples of great bravery.

As for the homeschooling question, I think there is a huge difference between choosing to homeschool your children and dealing with this idea of “remote learning”. Of the homeschooling parents that I personally know, none of them hold down full time careers outside the home on top of being their child’s teacher. They also choose to educate their child at home, selecting curriculum, etc. I personally don’t know a whole lot of ordinary parents who are equipped to teach their children how to read or do math, or to teach their high schooler calculus, physics, foreign languages, literature, etc. They tend to send their children to school so that actual professionals can do this while they work themselves.

Here is a very interesting, imo, and sobering/concerning extended piece on Covid “Long-Hauler” Syndrome, and the studies being undertaken by the NIH.

One highlight is that they are studying the brain specimens of some people who suddenly died from covid, with little or no prior symptoms, people who literally just dropped dead. There are black spots on their brains.

Dr. Francis also speaks, who imo is always worth a listen.

"According to the release, 90 percent of Arizona’s deaths from COVID-19 have been among those 55 and older. Approximately 65 percent of those hospitalized due to COVID-19 are in that age group."

"Local health departments may transition to the next age category when they reach 55 percent of that age category vaccinated OR feel that there is no longer demand for the vaccine."

Arizonans 55+ now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine in Maricopa County, Pima County works on similar plans.
Arizonans 55+ now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine in Maricopa County, Pima County works on similar plans

I homeschooled my son as a single working parent from K- to college. It is very doable. He is a successful young man, married and owns his own business- where he has continued to work through all of this but with NPI. I love that I was able to homeschool him- which was my dream when he was an infant and I was stationed on Guam and came to know many of the local people who homeschooled their children too.

Arizona-
Email sent by a Lifetime Fitness instructor:
"We are not going to be enforcing masks anymore!!! YAY, but we cannot publicize it. (sad emoji) If members have their mask below their mouth, it is OK in class but we so need to let them know to put it back up when they walk out of class! You're welcome!!!!!!!"

Lifetime Corporate sent a response to an inquiry about the above that to me, is a bunch of gobbledygook including:
"Unfortunately, a written communication sent by a Life Time Team Member was interpreted to mean we were completely changing expectations which is not the case."

Implying that the email wasn't wrong or incorrect, instead it was the people who read it that misinterpreted it
No.
It shouldn't be that hard to say that is not their policy
Instead, they mince words

Gilbert fitness center members concerned after email says masks will no longer be enforced.
Gilbert fitness center members concerned after email says masks will no longer be enforced

My opinionated view

As a healthcare professional who has worked since day one of this virus hitting US soil, I just can’t grasp the concept that many teachers seem to have that they should receive full pay and benefits without having to actually go to work. It just boggles my mind.
I also find it fascinating that some of the most vocal opponents screaming how “unsafe” teaching in the classroom is right now are the very ones I see out and about on social media in restaurants, going to rallies or protests, attending church and sporting events, etc. Not to be cynical, but at some point along the way, it became glaringly obvious that many simply want to “work from home” while galavanting all over the place.... just not to work. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know a soul in the medical community with an ounce of respect for any educators still declaring they just cannot possibly go back to work.

As a family member of several teachers, it boggles my mind that you think teaching from home is not "actually going to work". They are working their butts off trying to make this work best for their students, and giving up even more of their family time than usual to rework lesson plans to fit.

Additionally, not a single teacher I know has gone to a restaurant in over a year. What is your source that the most vocal teachers are going to restaurants?

Educators didn't make a career choice to deal with fatal diseases. Medical people did. I'm appalled that they can't see the difference.

<modsnip> Our school district is nearly four times this size, and our covid numbers have been VERY manageable with ZERO deaths among faculty or students. Even more telling is the fact that once adequate contact tracing is completed among positives attending in-person school, guess what they are NOT seeing? Transmission at school.

“Access to vaccination should not be considered a condition for reopening schools for in-person instruction.”

In our community, we have had teachers and other staff members DIE from covid. Your experience is not universal.

Gotta say I’m skeptical of this correlation, if only because it seems implausible that countries and/or cultures which allow young girls to be forced to wed (usually older) men would even allow those same young girls to attend school.
There are many countries where girls go to school for some time, but drop out/are taken out of school when they reach puberty. Remember, all marriages for someone under the age of 18 is a child marriage, and for example 47 percent of Indian girls marry between 15 and 18 years of age. Top 10 Facts About Girls' Education in India | The Borgen Project
Kenya has a high enrollment rate for girls in school, as primary education is free, but only one in five (or less) makes it to the eight year.
Top 10 Facts About Girls' Education in Kenya | The Borgen Project
It's very possible that the girls affected by the closed schools would in any case have been married off before they were 18 years old, but it's very likely that now it happens a few years earlier than before while they could go to school.

It's hard to image that this could come from a home health nurse. Was all her education for naught?

I wonder what career choices remain for her, where being vaccinated isn't essential.
Oh you should hear some of the things....

*Attended a Christmas wedding out of state with 200 guests with no masks/social distancing as she shows pictures on her phone.
*It’s just a flu.
*My mother/sister had it and they’re fine.
*It’s in the Lord’s hands.

JMO

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed; not MSM or approved source>

Also just anecdotal but my daughter is doing online school and has been for almost a year and it’s gone really well. At the beginning last March there wasn’t a lot but this year since September it’s been very structured and the curriculum is being followed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
This is why we just never know what to believe in Florida. Yesterday were headlines of "lowest number of cases since October", and today we hear over 7100 cases. No explanation...yet.

And, little to no uproar as DeSantis helps arrange "special vaccination" sites in super up-scale gated communities associated with his super doners. One donated over $900,000, and one of the gated community developers donated $125,000.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis faces criticism over vaccination clinics in upscale communities - CNN

Florida Adds 7,179 New COVID-19 Cases Tuesday, as State Reports 136 More Resident Deaths

Florida records smallest single-day increase in COVID-19 cases since mid-October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv