Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think LS wants a soapbox to go after Gannon's parents in court. IMO

I agree! I recently re-watched her 'cousin it' interview from 1/28/20. This miscreant did the equivalent of a body slam on Gannon's mother, by stating that she ( Landen) didn't want him. IMO, she totally enjoyed doing that.....it felt good to her to say that about her missing step son's mother. Such twisted evil...

On removal: I can imagine her abusing her ability to object to the prosecutor's questioning. (In my mind, it's like a scene in a movie. "Objection!" "Overruled." "OBJECTION!" "Overruled.") I can imagine her being removed for speaking out of turn, and I can imagine her being removed for interacting inappropriately with witnesses. We haven't exactly ever witnessed her using any sort of restraint in her interactions, so it's hard to picture her behaving as a professional in what has to be the most important circumstance of her life.

I agree that she is wanting to represent herself for attention. Representing herself is the clearest path for her to speak her piece. It has to be killing her that she is receiving all of this negative attention on the "outside" that she is not able to address from her cell. She has shown herself to be someone who thrives on drama and conflict, and I can't imagine there's nearly enough of that in prison to meet her quota. I also think that she believes that she can better spin her story/defense than any attorney could, and thus, she has a chance of successfully defending herself.

I mean, I think she's wrong about that, but I think she is that delusional and narcissistic that there is nearly 0 chance she would take an actual expert's advice regarding her chances. All MOO.

I agree about her future behavior if this is allowed to continue with her at the helm of her own defense.

I also think that the Prosecution will object to the form, tone and legality of many things she does during witness examination, as she doesn't have a clue about how anything works.

I think she wants to represent herself because she thinks she knows more than her attorneys and that she can easily acquire expertise in a new field, as she has been down the rabbit hole of a less-than-stellar online education (which failed to produce proper employment for her, as she couldn't hold a job as a teacher and without that, it's super hard to just jump into school administration).

Her opening comments will be both incoherent and a source of much conversation on true crime forums.

Thanks @Seattle1 for reminding us of the client/attorney history in this case. It is complicated and unusual. Some of LS's statements do contain truth but often that truth it is so overlaid with her "irrational" thinking, the truth is hard to see.

One point though, in a document filed May 12 but posted May 18, a slightly different picture arises than I read your summary to suggest. (That document was filed before her attempted escape in Colorado so I'm not sure how much her behavior "behind bars" was to blame for the situation. She reportedly did try to escape in Kansas, of course. And many on WS also thought she was on "suicide watch" in CO. That may or may not have been true.)

In that May 12 document, her attorneys explain (as did you, @Seattle1) that due to COVID, only video visitation occurred in March and April after the initial F2F meeting they had in March. As @Seattle1 states, sharing of documents could not really happen by video. Plus, the state's sharing of discovery with the defense had barely begun by late April anyway. (Recall Allen's statement in court about how long that would take--so there wasn't much of anything to share at that point.)

Her attorneys argue that beginning in early May for people of LS's security designation (reason for designation redacted) in-person attorney visitation was required by the jail. Video visitation was no longer allowed for people of LS's designation.

Quite naturally with COVID beginning to really rage and all the panic that was ensuing, her attorneys were opposed to having to go to the jail to see her. They argued visitation spaces did not allow social distancing from other attorneys/inmates AND jailers treated antibacterial wipes as "contraband" so spaces could not be even minimally cleaned. Further, the ventilation system was antiquated and inmates were not issued masks at that time.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/D-11 Motion for Video Access to Client_Redacted.pdf

I am sure we will look back and see many of the COVID-panic policies were ill-advised and short-sighted. That includes in jails and certainly in that jail. I expect too we'll see some court "do overs" because of bad policies.

It may be that this history and knowledge of the unfortunate jail policies played a role in the judge's decision to allow self-representation.
JMO
I’m not sure if I posted earlier. I don’t think I did. Because I didn’t think it relevant, who know though? LS will try to get her sticky fingers all over anything she can. The dirtier the better - like a nasty flytrap.
El Paso County Sheriff's Office spent more than $80,000 on masks, but withheld them from inmates in cells
Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Jacqueline Kirby said the office bought 87,330 masks with $80,594 in federal relief funds and local dollars.

Inmates and jail employees said the masks supplied were not sufficient, the Gazette reported in November. The American Civil Liberties Union filed a class action lawsuit in December alleging Sheriff Bill Elder prohibited inmates from wearing masks in their housing, mixed sick and healthy inmates together, and did not provide adequate medical care, among other practices that resulted in "unsafe and dangerous conditions."

El Paso County Public Health spokeswoman Michelle Hewitt said in November and repeated Wednesday that providing masks to inmates only when they left their housing was consistent with the statewide mask mandate for residential facilities and group housing. Masks were not used in areas where inmates eat, drink and sleep because it was not feasible, she said. But inmates living together were kept in groups, or cohorts, to limit possible exposure to the virus, she said.

But Christie Donner, executive director of the Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition, said the Sheriff's Office practice of not giving masks to inmates in their cells put them at risk of exposure to the virus.

"For an inmate to be in their cell is not the same as one of us being in our home," Donner said. "Air is circulated throughout the facility, so even if people are in their cell, they are breathing the same air that everyone else has already breathed in."

A court order issued in January requires the jail to provide two masks to each inmate, regular coronavirus testing and temperature screening, among other measures.
Despite the ample funding to respond to the coronavirus and the large masks purchases, inmates and staff told The Gazette proper equipment was not available. One deputy said the jail supplied each employee with thin blue surgical masks, and they were told to use that single mask indefinitely. The Sheriff's Office would replace a mask if it fell apart or was damaged beyond a wearable state, said the employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity fearing retaliation.

El Paso County now expects to pay for coronavirus personal protective equipment, such as masks, through a $672,377 state grant that will be fully dedicated to coronavirus-related costs. The office expects to spend $230,142 on masks, according to the grant application.

***And this doesn’t surprise me one little bit. She’s been working on this plan of hers since the moment EPCSO asked her to state her name. Constitutional rights. Yes. I will be very surprised if she doesn’t throw the civil rights card in. Its in her historical bloodline. Play the cards you know best. I’ll wager one dollar that it’s in her deck of loaded playing cards. Takers?
"It's a constitutional right I have" - LS

I think so, yeah. @gitana1 if you have a moment , please could you confirm whether defense are or are not bound to hand over all their evidence?

In CO, this is the only thing they have to turn over to the state, from what I can tell:

Part II. Disclosure to Prosecution
(a) The Person of the Accused.
(1) Notwithstanding the initiation of judicial proceedings, and subject to constitutional limitations, upon request of the prosecuting attorney, the court may require the accused to give any nontestimonial identification as provided in Rule 41.1(h)(2).
(2) Whenever the personal appearance of the accused is required for the foregoing purposes, reasonable notice of the time and place of such appearance shall be given by the prosecuting attorney to the accused and his or her counsel. Provision may be made for appearance for such purposes in an order admitting the accused to bail or providing for his or her release.
(b) Medical and Scientific Reports.
(1) Subject to constitutional limitations, the trial court may require that the prosecuting attorney be informed of and permitted to inspect and copy or photograph any reports or statements of experts, made in connection with the particular case, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons.
(2) Subject to constitutional limitations, and where the interests of justice would be served, the court may order the defense to disclose the underlying facts or data supporting the opinion in that particular case of an expert endorsed as a witness. If a report has not been prepared by that expert to aid in compliance with other discovery obligations of this rule, the court may order the party calling that expert to provide a written summary of the testimony describing the witness's opinions and the bases and reasons therefor, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons. The intent of this section is to allow the prosecution sufficient meaningful information to conduct effective cross-examination under CRE 705.
(c) Nature of Defense.

Subject to constitutional limitations, the defense shall disclose to the prosecution the nature of any defense, other than alibi, which the defense intends to use at trial. The defense shall also disclose the names and addresses of persons whom the defense intends to call as witnesses at trial. At the entry of the not guilty plea, the court shall set a deadline for such disclosure. In no case shall such disclosure be less than 35 days before trial for a felony trial, or 7 days before trial for a non-felony trial, except for good cause shown. Upon receipt of the information required by this subsection (c), the prosecuting attorney shall notify the defense of any additional witnesses which the prosecution intends to call to rebut such defense within a reasonable time after their identity becomes known.

(d) Notice of Alibi.
The defense, if it intends to introduce evidence that the defendant was at a place other than the location of the offense, shall serve upon the prosecuting attorney as soon as practicable but not later than 35 days before trial a statement in writing specifying the place where he or she claims to have been and the names and addresses of the witnesses he or she will call to support the defense of alibi. Upon receiving this statement, the prosecuting attorney shall advise the defense of the names and addresses of any additional witnesses who may be called to refute such alibi as soon as practicable after their names become known. Neither the prosecuting attorney nor the defense shall be permitted at the trial to introduce evidence inconsistent with the specification, unless the court for good cause and upon just terms permits the specification to be amended. If the defense fails to make the specification required by this section, the court shall exclude evidence in his behalf that he or she was at a place other than that specified by the prosecuting attorney unless the court is satisfied upon good cause shown that such evidence should be admitted.

Rule 16 - Discovery and Procedure Before Trial, Colo. R. Crim. P. 16 | Casetext Search + Citator

In CO, this is the only thing they have to turn over to the state, from what I can tell:

Part II. Disclosure to Prosecution
(a) The Person of the Accused.
(1) Notwithstanding the initiation of judicial proceedings, and subject to constitutional limitations, upon request of the prosecuting attorney, the court may require the accused to give any nontestimonial identification as provided in Rule 41.1(h)(2).
(2) Whenever the personal appearance of the accused is required for the foregoing purposes, reasonable notice of the time and place of such appearance shall be given by the prosecuting attorney to the accused and his or her counsel. Provision may be made for appearance for such purposes in an order admitting the accused to bail or providing for his or her release.
(b) Medical and Scientific Reports.
(1) Subject to constitutional limitations, the trial court may require that the prosecuting attorney be informed of and permitted to inspect and copy or photograph any reports or statements of experts, made in connection with the particular case, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons.
(2) Subject to constitutional limitations, and where the interests of justice would be served, the court may order the defense to disclose the underlying facts or data supporting the opinion in that particular case of an expert endorsed as a witness. If a report has not been prepared by that expert to aid in compliance with other discovery obligations of this rule, the court may order the party calling that expert to provide a written summary of the testimony describing the witness's opinions and the bases and reasons therefor, including results of physical or mental examinations and of scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons. The intent of this section is to allow the prosecution sufficient meaningful information to conduct effective cross-examination under CRE 705.
(c) Nature of Defense.

Subject to constitutional limitations, the defense shall disclose to the prosecution the nature of any defense, other than alibi, which the defense intends to use at trial. The defense shall also disclose the names and addresses of persons whom the defense intends to call as witnesses at trial. At the entry of the not guilty plea, the court shall set a deadline for such disclosure. In no case shall such disclosure be less than 35 days before trial for a felony trial, or 7 days before trial for a non-felony trial, except for good cause shown. Upon receipt of the information required by this subsection (c), the prosecuting attorney shall notify the defense of any additional witnesses which the prosecution intends to call to rebut such defense within a reasonable time after their identity becomes known.

(d) Notice of Alibi.
The defense, if it intends to introduce evidence that the defendant was at a place other than the location of the offense, shall serve upon the prosecuting attorney as soon as practicable but not later than 35 days before trial a statement in writing specifying the place where he or she claims to have been and the names and addresses of the witnesses he or she will call to support the defense of alibi. Upon receiving this statement, the prosecuting attorney shall advise the defense of the names and addresses of any additional witnesses who may be called to refute such alibi as soon as practicable after their names become known. Neither the prosecuting attorney nor the defense shall be permitted at the trial to introduce evidence inconsistent with the specification, unless the court for good cause and upon just terms permits the specification to be amended. If the defense fails to make the specification required by this section, the court shall exclude evidence in his behalf that he or she was at a place other than that specified by the prosecuting attorney unless the court is satisfied upon good cause shown that such evidence should be admitted.

Rule 16 - Discovery and Procedure Before Trial, Colo. R. Crim. P. 16 | Casetext Search + Citator
Thank you so much for taking all that time to explain this so well. I really appreciate it.

Does she also get to run up huge bills on expert witnesses too?

Hey Everyone,
Tonight at the earlier time of 9:00 PMish EASTERN on Websleuths YouTube Live we welcome Jodi Arias's former lawyer Kirk Nurmi
Mr. Kirk Nurmi is going to tell us what is ahead for Leticia Stauch as she attempts to represent herself.
Remember we are going live an hour earlier tonight at 9:00 PM EASTERN!
Click the link below tonight and join us.
CLICK HERE AT 9:00 PM EASTERN AND JOIN US LIVE TONIGHT

Attachments

• Image 40(37).png
    Image 40(37).png
    653.1 KB · Views: 8
Hey Everyone,
Tonight at the earlier time of 9:00 PMish EASTERN on Websleuths YouTube Live we welcome Jodi Arias's former lawyer Kirk Nurmi
Mr. Kirk Nurmi is going to tell us what is ahead for Leticia Stauch as she attempts to represent herself.
Hopefully, Kirk will address how the antics of Jodi Arias destroyed his life. I thought she was one of a kind until Leticia came along. These women won’t, can’t learn. The world is about them only. They don’t care whom they destroy. Leticia wants to be her own lawyer because she wants to put a knife in the backs of Gannons parents, turn the knife, and see if they will squirm. She is in a for a rude awakening. They will take her down. She doesn’t have a chance.

Just wanted to add, IMO, Leticia’s daughter desperately needs help if she is thinking of supporting her mother. Maybe it’s too late. Maybe she has turned out to be just like her mother. The best thing she could ever do with her life is testify against her mother and then walk away.

Hey Everyone,
Thank you dear Tricia for all that you do for WS. You and your administrative staff have make WS an entity readily available for participation and true purpose. We love you and appreciate your efforts to continue to make WS the credible and enjoyable site it is today. WS is home to thousands of us who also care to make a difference. This is a community of like-minded members who care about the sometimes unjust and unpredictable world we live in today. Banding together, we seek out crimes in our own areas as well as the rest of the world. WS gives us a sense of belonging. Thank you.

Didn’t Tee come up with the crybaby line of ‘you’re gonna apologize to me’ ?? (Exact verbiage? - help) before she allegedly mutilated his body in such a manner for Gannon to fit in a suitcase? Wow, what a disturbing sick individual! Does she have no shame, no conscious, no sense of right and wrong? She had a little daughter she has influenced over the years. Who did she create? What chance did her offspring have? Honesty and truth don’t appear to be common threads woven into their familial history.

Last edited:
Gannon Stauch murder: Stepmom Letecia Stauch to represent herself | 9news.com

Feb 26, 2021

Letecia Stauch requested that she be allowed to represent herself going forward during Friday's hearing. Judge Gregory Werner went through a number of possibilities that Stauch could face if she represents herself. Stauch said she understood and still wanted to move forward.

"It might sound audacious, but I'm really good at poker, and you know that saying 'You got to know when to hold them and when to fold them'? I've got the winning hand...an ace in the hole," Stauch said.

Stauch replied no when the judge asked her if she wanted to retain counsel, but with a different set of attorneys. Stauch said she has a constitutional right to represent herself.

The nearly one-hour hearing ended with Werner granting Stauch her request. Werner ordered that the court would appoint advisory counsel to assist Stauch with certain aspects moving forward.

A status hearing was scheduled for next Friday at 8:30 a.m.

Stauch has another hearing scheduled for March 11 and 12. During this hearing, the prosecution will present evidence, and a judge will decide whether there is enough for the case for it to go to trial.

@Niner
Hah, I posted that LS's courtroom antics would be of epic proportion the day she was arrested. Looks like she is getting wound up to deliver beyond our wildest expectations.

Still p i s s e s me off that she is afforded the opportunity to reek such havoc when there is an innocent, loving young boy gone from this world way too soon because of her. :mad:

Has there ever been a defendant in a murder case who represented themselves and was acquitted?

I've been a crime hag for a long time, and I can't think of one, off the top of my head. First to come to mind is Bundy and we know how that turned out. Also, another case Ann Rule wrote about, a guy who killed his estranged wife on a highway, while she was driving. He's still locked up, too AFAIK.

ETA: Brad Cunningham. Cheryl Keeton

I have 2 questions since she is now both the attorney AND the defendant....

1) Would all of her jail phone calls be considered attorney client privilege? Example: LS calls HH and tells her what she expects of her as a witness, how to answer questions and whatnot... previously when LS was only the defendant, a call to her family would have been fair game for the prosecution, but now that she is the attorney, can she claim all of her phone calls fall under privileged communication?

2) I don't fully understand how discovery works, so for example, if the murder weapon has been located, would she have physical access to that item or just pictures and things of that nature? I cannot imagine that would be allowed, but what if a portion of her defense is to claim something is wrong with the supposed weapon? Would she have access to it to have it tested or anything like that? Obviously a backup cannot be made of a piece of evidence like that, so if she is allowed to physically handle it, what's to stop her from destroying it?

Side note: I have this picture in my head of her putting on her defense as 2 separate people, attorney AND defendant and it is amusing me cuz I see her sitting in the witness stand one second and answering a question, hopping off the stand, asking the empty chair a question, hopping back into the witness chair and answering the question, LRR, LRR, LRR... Your Honor, I object to the question I just asked myself. Your Honor, may I treat myself as a hostile witness? Nothing is funny about this case, but picturing this makes me laugh.

Jmo

The judge said if she doesn’t show up the advisory counsel will take over her defence (as well as in other circumstances, eg becoming unruly). I think they will try hard to prevent her delaying things or creating drama, although I do expect there will still be some of both.

eta link : https://twitter.com/Spencer_WNews/status/1365374871996403712?s=20
Judge warns if she was removed for behavior or just not showing up, the case will go on without her.

Last edited:
I don't care what she does.
I'll never find her amusing or entertaining.
I despise her in a way that does not hurt my own soul.
She viciously and sadistically ripped a child's life away.
That's all I see and it's not even human or close.
I do not see her as a woman assaulting a child, I see her as a frenzied ball of filthy energy.
Dark and Evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member