65-Year-Old Gets Carded in Supermarket

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
FARMINGTON, Maine (AP) -- A 65-year-old woman who went into a Farmington supermarket to buy wine was turned away because she didn't have an ID with her. But Barbara Skapa of Mount Vernon says that won't happen again.
"I'll be bringing my driver's license with me from now on," Skapa said.
She normally carries her license. But with her leg in a cast, Skapa was being driven by a friend when she went into the Hannaford Bros. market last week in and picked up several items, including a few bottles of wine.
The cashier told her it was policy to check for identification, said Skapa, who believes "no one would mistake me for 30 or even 40." Skapa asked if her friend could buy the wine for her, but that was disallowed too because it's considered "third-party" purchasing. Skapa asked to see the manager.
A spokeswoman for the supermarket chain, Rebecca Howes, said Hannaford's new policy is to check IDs of anyone who looks under 45 and wants to buy alcohol. The previous policy was to check for proof of age of those who look younger than 30.
The policy is not unlike those of many other Maine businesses and chains who want to stop minors from illegally buying alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.
In 2005, the state http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/6/65_YEAR_OLD_CARDED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/6/65_YEAR_OLD_CARDED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT

I had hoped there would be a picture of this woman. She should feel flattered...lol.

I would love to see a pic too! I would love to look 20 years younger.

LOL I was still being carded into my 40's. My mother looked very young for her age for most of her life and one of my daughters was asked if she wanted the child's menu when she was in college. She was so miffed!

LOL I was still being carded into my 40's. My mother looked very young for her age for most of her life and one of my daughters was asked if she wanted the child's menu when she was in college. She was so miffed!

My sister has many years of damaged skin through sun exposure and she does look older than her age. When I was 26 and she was 29 a guy thought she was my mother! It still bothers her to this day when she thinks about it.

My sister has many years of damaged skin through sun exposure and she does look older than her age. When I was 26 and she was 29 a guy thought she was my mother! It still bothers her to this day when she thinks about it.

Oh no...bet he could have crawled into a hole when he learned you two were only 3 years apart.

Good find, Sherri!

She looks good for 65 but I would not have taken her for under 45, would you?

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but when a sales associate asks for an ID, if the customer is unable to provide one, they can not complete the sale. Another sales associate can come over to approve the sale, if the customer complains.

I have seen many people in their 40's who look about like her. I don't know though to me she should just take it as a compliment!! I am 32 and there have been times when people don't believe me that I have 3 kids & say I don't look old enough to have a daughter in high school etc etc..on another note I have been asked my age and when I say 32 they said 'oh wow I thought you were older then that'..Ok I didnt like the second comment as much as the first lmao

I have seen many people in their 40's who look about like her. I don't know though to me she should just take it as a compliment!! I am 32 and there have been times when people don't believe me that I have 3 kids & say I don't look old enough to have a daughter in high school etc etc..on another note I have been asked my age and when I say 32 they said 'oh wow I thought you were older then that'..Ok I didnt like the second comment as much as the first lmao

My daughter, my mother and myself are often confused as sisters when we are together. Unfortunately, I am not sure if that means I look over 60 or under 16. :-(

I'll be 54 next month and don't look nearly as old as she looks in that picture...knock on wood! I feel sorry for those in their forties who already look that old.

Glitch, I had to laugh at your post. Your mother just looks very young for her age, of course!

--true,nothing ages the skin more than getting suntanned or sunburned--I learned early on, in my early '20's, to use sun-block all the time down here in Florida

Oh no...bet he could have crawled into a hole when he learned you two were only 3 years apart.

She didnt tell him, she was in shock :D we were checking out at the grocery store. I do look really young I have been told, I dont see it but I get told it quite often. I think part of the reason is I dont wear much makeup and I have a younger looking hairstyle. My sister wears plenty of makeup and puts her hair up in a bun. I have been an oil of olay user since my teens with sunblock.

Peter- I have thankfully always babied my skin it has made a huge difference. Her skin looks leatherish and it was only exposed during later parts of high school and college.

I think we're missing the bottom line, which is to make certain someone isn't under 21. Okay. The store carded her, but, come on, there's absolutely no way she could have been violating the age 21 law.

I think the laws about this are nonsense! I work in a grocery store and card the one's that I haven't seen before that look young. Or those that I have seen but look young. Granted, I live in a small community and most people that come into my store are there almost daily. Once I card someone I can usually remember that I've carded them previously. If I don't I card them but older people, no way!

We do have a local gas station/convience store that used to card EVERYONE... I mean sheesh! When an 80 yr. old man, looking every bit of his 80 yrs comes in is it truely neccessary to card him?

People stopped buying cigs there and suddenly they changed their policy.. hmmm.

If people would use more common sense we wouldn't have this problem. If you look young, expect to be carded and bring your drivers licence.

By the way, I was fired from a gas station/convience store once for not carding a 21 year old. It was an inter-store sting rather than a police thing but I figure the police would have actually used a younger person. At any rate, while the supervisor was writing me up, (and facing the window where people were getting gas) we had a drive off.. somehow that gave me immense satisfaction. :)

I think the laws about this are nonsense! I work in a grocery store and card the one's that I haven't seen before that look young. Or those that I have seen but look young. Granted, I live in a small community and most people that come into my store are there almost daily. Once I card someone I can usually remember that I've carded them previously. If I don't I card them but older people, no way!

We do have a local gas station/convience store that used to card EVERYONE... I mean sheesh! When an 80 yr. old man, looking every bit of his 80 yrs comes in is it truely neccessary to card him?

People stopped buying cigs there and suddenly they changed their policy.. hmmm.

If people would use more common sense we wouldn't have this problem. If you look young, expect to be carded and bring your drivers licence.

By the way, I was fired from a gas station/convience store once for not carding a 21 year old. It was an inter-store sting rather than a police thing but I figure the police would have actually used a younger person. At any rate, while the supervisor was writing me up, (and facing the window where people were getting gas) we had a drive off.. somehow that gave me immense satisfaction. :)

I just love the end part of your story. lol

I'll be 54 next month and don't look nearly as old as she looks in that picture...knock on wood! I feel sorry for those in their forties who already look that old.

Glitch, I had to laugh at your post. Your mother just looks very young for her age, of course!

I agree with what you are saying. I'll be 60 in a year and a half and look way younger than the lady in the photo. She even has quite the " turkey neck" thing going on.
People are always talking about how young my skin looks. I think it's part good genes, also not too much sun, smoked on and off for a while, though never steadily and haven't at all for years. And I've been taking cod liver oil since my early 20's. I started taking it as liquid mixed in milk--yuck, horrid! For years now I take 3 capsules a day. It's really true, it does wonders for the skin and really cheaply.
I do admit I am on the "overweight" side, but not enough to make that much difference. I don't gain on my face anyway. Mostly mid-section.

!. Stay out of sun or use sun screen
2. Don't smoke
3. Take cod liver oil unless for some reason you shouldn't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back