Identified! AZ - Coconino Co, 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Celeste Eaton

I wonder if she used her handkerchief by moving it in the wind, to be seen by drivers as she was hitchiking.

Why was the colour of her eyes altered so greatly in the enhanced image and isn't it incorrect? Mightn't that throw off someone who might otherwise remember her if they see the wrong eye colour?

Why was the colour of her eyes altered so greatly in the enhanced image and isn't it incorrect? Mightn't that throw off someone who might otherwise remember her if they see the wrong eye colour?

When I originally enhanced the photo sent by the CCSD, the MyHeritage app gave her eyes a brown/hazel color.

We know from witnesses that she had blue eyes, I changed her eye color to blue and I color corrected the photo, as the original has a reddish tint to it.

It’s possible that in the original photo her blue eyes aren’t that distinctive.

I think that I posted the close up of her face, before color correcting it, but with her blue eyes.

Here’s a thought: Could the student that gave Carolyn a ride from Cordes Junction have misheard or misremembered “St. Louis” as “New Jersey”? She had a toothache and maybe her speech was impeded because of it...of course she could have really had family in New Jersey for all we know.

Here is a retouched version of the photo that the CCSD provided to me.

Maybe her face can trigger someone’s memory of seeing or talking to her on January 81’

The photo I am referring to is the CCSD photo in which the blue colour is very deep, even though it appears not to have been so in reality.

The photo I am referring to is the CCSD photo in which the blue colour is very deep, even though it appears not to have been so in reality.

Oh i see, the photo provided by the CCSD doesn't show her eye color as blue in my opinion, i enhanced the photo and in the process, her eyes got that shade of blue.

Here is the original copy that was provided to me by the Sheriff''s Office, upon asking ;)

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 49
Oh i see, the photo provided by the CCSD doesn't show her eye color as blue in my opinion, i enhanced the photo and in the process, her eyes got that shade of blue.

Here is the original copy that was provided to me by the Sheriff''s Office, upon asking ;)

Ah, I was under the impression that the enhanced photo was the official image released by the Sheriff's Office and thus was being used on sites such as Unidentified Wiki.

Thank you for clarifying that!

Ah, I was under the impression that the enhanced photo was the official image released by the Sheriff's Office and thus was being used on sites such as Unidentified Wiki.

Thank you for clarifying that!

It’s okay!

I added the new photos on her wiki, including the crime scene photos in case that someone saw something that night.

Here’s a thought: Could the student that gave Carolyn a ride from Cordes Junction have misheard or misremembered “St. Louis” as “New Jersey”? She had a toothache and maybe her speech was impeded because of it...of course she could have really had family in New Jersey for all we know.

It’s entirely possible, I think that she could have mentioned NJ and St. Louis.

When I originally enhanced the photo sent by the CCSD, the MyHeritage app gave her eyes a brown/hazel color.

We know from witnesses that she had blue eyes, I changed her eye color to blue and I color corrected the photo, as the original has a reddish tint to it.

It’s possible that in the original photo her blue eyes aren’t that distinctive.

I think that I posted the close up of her face, before color correcting it, but with her blue eyes.

The reddish tint appears to be an artifact of the old flash cameras--most people's eyes would look red if the light reflected directly off the retina. The red reflection could easily obscure the true color of the iris.

Since this is a known issue with older photos, the photo software might well know how to deal with it and restore the correct color.

A minor error regarding the tree Carolyn was found under; the Unidentified Wikia and other sources say she was found under a cedar tree. Cedars aren’t found in Arizona, the tree in question is a juniper, most likely an Alligator Juniper.

Attachments

• 4E7E1078-FECF-43B5-9D14-AB70DF727EFE.jpeg
    4E7E1078-FECF-43B5-9D14-AB70DF727EFE.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Here is another version of Carolyn’s officially released photo that doesn’t crop off the top of her head.

Interesting article too, the DNA used to identify her came from a blood sample taken right after she was found.

Coconino County cold case identified after 39 years | Crime and Courts | azdailysun.com

Interesting article indeed! It also mentioned that Carolyn invited two men into her home just before she ran away...this is a bit of a stretch, but could one of them be the old man with the peacock feather hat Patty witnessed? Also, there were accounts from witnesses who apparently saw Carolyn, the white man and a black man too...I guess if she had invited these 2 men, it would mean that she would be comfortable around them, which would match what happened at the truck stop (and the other witness accounts).

On another note, this is the first time we are told that Carolyn's bra was cut, which makes me think this crime was still somewhat sexually motivated. But that's my pure speculations only.

Interesting article indeed! It also mentioned that Carolyn invited two men into her home just before she ran away...this is a bit of a stretch, but could one of them be the old man with the peacock feather hat Patty witnessed? Also, there were accounts from witnesses who apparently saw Carolyn, the white man and a black man too...I guess if she had invited these 2 men, it would mean that she would be comfortable around them, which would match what happened at the truck stop (and the other witness accounts).

On another note, this is the first time we are told that Carolyn's bra was cut, which makes me think this crime was still somewhat sexually motivated. But that's my pure speculations only.

Or perhaps those were her friends in Phoenix? We may never know.

There seems to be some sort of confusion as to the exact spot where Carolyn was found.

The official report announcing her identity stated that she was found at mile marker 151.8 on the north side (westbound) of I-40. Carolyn was seen at the truck stop on Monte Carlo Rd, which is exit #149. Mile marker numbers get smaller westbound as you approach the California state line. The only way Carolyn was found at MM 151.8 is if whomever killed her went EASTBOUND for a while and then turned back west to dump the body east of the truck stop.

Perhaps the mile marker in the announcement is incorrect? Any other thoughts?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back