Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDC Expands Negative COVID-19 Test Requirement to All Air Passengers Entering the United States
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States. Testing before and after travel is a critical layer to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19. This strategy is consistent with the current phase of the pandemic and more efficiently protects the health of Americans.

Coronavirus Disease 2019

CDC Expands Negative COVID-19 Test Requirement to All Air Passengers Entering the United States

Coronavirus Disease 2019

Yes, for all air passengers (federal jurisdiction). We saw the order a couple of months ago.

"Before departure to the United States (by air), a required test, combined with the CDC recommendations to get tested again 3-5 days after arrival and stay home for 7 days post-travel"

It also does not say what happens if a person tests positive once they have arrived. Other than recommendations.

There are some pretty huge loopholes there, due to the inability to enforce many things other than in/on federal entities.

Oooooo school stuff. I have a lot of thoughts that are probably best left unsaid right now. :confused: Maybe another day lol.
It’s been a long year for sure. Same storm different boats and all that. It’ll GET better. It has to:rolleyes: Right?
Be safe y’all or ...not I guess :cool:
Oh eta glad to see so many WSers getting the vax as they can. :D Wtg peeps.

I’m not sure what your thoughts are @weepingangel, but I’m going to jump off your post with my opinion, expressed several times on these threads.

I liken fighting this pandemic to a war, requiring sacrifices. WWII for example, required sacrifices such as rationing, blackouts, and in London many parents sent their kids north to stay in safety with strangers to escape the blitz. So even the children made sacrifices and some of their hosts were not very nice, unfortunately.

We’ve been asked to wear masks, social distance, wash our hands and forgo frequenting certain businesses. Our kids have been asked to endure video schooling, which has been hit and miss, depending on internet access and the local school systems. Some kids do OK and some don’t.

At some point the London blitz kids came home when it was safe and at some point all our schools will reopen when it is safe. Yes, there has been damage done to our kids academically and socially, just as the London blitz kids carry that separation trauma with them. I know this isn’t a perfect parallel, so please look at the big picture rather than disputing details. :)

I would ask if the London blitz kids should have come home while the blitz or chance of bombing was still ongoing “just” because separation was hurting them in many ways? Saving their lives was viewed as more important than the potential psychological damage.

Should our kids go back to school when local cases aren’t at a low level and their particular schools can’t meet safety standards, particularly of adequate ventilation, “just” because of potential social and academic damage?

I don’t have the answers, but I do think life-saving and potentially damaging sacrifices are not too much to ask of anyone, even kids, when we are at war. So many adults and even children have died unnecessarily. Can we continue to make sacrifices to keep adults and children alive? Sadly, I expect the answer is “No.” :(
JMO

I’m not sure what your thoughts are @weepingangel, but I’m going to jump off your post with my opinion, expressed several times on these threads.

I liken fighting this pandemic to a war, requiring sacrifices. WWII for example, required sacrifices such as rationing, blackouts, and in London many parents sent their kids north to stay in safety with strangers to escape the blitz. So even the children made sacrifices and some of their hosts were not very nice, unfortunately.

We’ve been asked to wear masks, social distance, wash our hands and forgo frequenting certain businesses. Our kids have been asked to endure video schooling, which has been hit and miss, depending on internet access and the local school systems. Some kids do OK and some don’t.

At some point the London blitz kids came home when it was safe and at some point all our schools will reopen when it is safe. Yes, there has been damage done to our kids academically and socially, just as the London blitz kids carry that separation trauma with them. I know this isn’t a perfect parallel, so please look at the big picture rather than disputing details. :)

I would ask if the London blitz kids should have come home while the blitz or chance of bombing was still ongoing “just” because separation was hurting them in many ways? Saving their lives was viewed as more important than the potential psychological damage.

Should our kids go back to school when local cases aren’t at a low level and their particular schools can’t meet safety standards, particularly of adequate ventilation, “just” because of potential social and academic damage?

I don’t have the answers, but I do think life-saving and potentially damaging sacrifices are not too much to ask of anyone, even kids, when we are at war. So many adults and even children have died unnecessarily. Can we continue to make sacrifices to keep adults and children alive? Sadly, I expect the answer is “No.” :(
JMO

As well, children are particularly hardy. There are immigrant children here from extremely disadvantaged places who start a late eduction here and go on to be doctors (for example). There are adults who go back and get the high school equivalency, or college degrees, and thrive. Education is not for one place in your life, it can be for all or part of your life.

A school teacher once said to me that it doesn't matter where a child starts in school, they all catch up over time.

Savings lives is important, at this point in time. During a pandemic.
The vaccines are starting to do their job. Patience is required. imo

As well, children are particularly hardy. There are immigrant children here from extremely disadvantaged places who start a late eduction here and go on to be doctors (for example). There are adults who go back and get the high school equivalency, or college degrees, and thrive. Education is not for one place in your life, it can be for all or part of your life.

A school teacher once said to me that it doesn't matter where a child starts in school, they all catch up over time.

Savings lives is important, at this point in time. During a pandemic.
The vaccines are starting to do their job. Patience is required. imo

Very good points @SouthAussie. Thanks. :)

Are we requiring travelers to the U.S. to quarantine when they arrive here and test positive? Are we testing travelers to the U.S. at this time? Do we put people who live here and test positive in quarantine hotels? I know we ask them to quarantine, but do we know that they do?
"Travelers" are different from allowing illegals in and not being allowed to contain them when they test positive.
It puts innocent citizens at risk.

"Travelers" are different from allowing illegals in and not being allowed to contain them when they test positive.

How are they different? Travelers bringing in covid put "innocent" citizens at risk the same as migrants do. And those citizens aren't so innocent in their own potential infections unless they are masking 100% of the time they are in public, social distancing (as in not going to places full of other people), washing their hands, and getting the vaccine as soon as it's available to them.

How are they different? Travelers bringing in covid put "innocent" citizens at risk the same as migrants do. And those citizens aren't so innocent in their own potential infections unless they are masking 100% of the time they are in public, social distancing (as in not going to places full of other people), washing their hands, and getting the vaccine as soon as it's available to them.
Vaccinate?

Last edited:
Correct. Travelers flying into the US must have a negative Covid test before they are allowed into the country. If they test positive they can't enter the country.

That policy is clearly designed to prevent persons who test positive from entering the US. For some reason if you break the law, enter illegally and test positive for Covid you are allowed to stay and move about freely in the US.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Coronavirus Disease 2019

After 6 weeks of new COVID cases dropping, Mass. leveled out last week;
more

Boston is starting back to school this week
Boston Public Schools students in grades pre-K to 3 return to class

Boston neighborhoods hardest hit by pandemic have the lowest vaccination rates
More
Many Boston neighborhoods that were hit hard early on in the COVID-19pandemic are posting fewer vaccinations than others, where the impact has been less severe, according to new data released by the city.

Neighborhoods like Dorchester, East Boston and Mattapan had the lowest rate of first doses administered per capita than all other parts of the city, with 10,636, 10,403 and 10,560 per 100,000 residents, respectively.

Those three neighborhoods, which are predominately communities of color, had some of the highest infection rates in the state earlier in the pandemic. First doses administered per capita in neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain, the South End and West Roxbury were nearly double what they were in harder hit zones, at 18,882, 19,842 and 20,068 per 100,000 respectively, the data shows.

“Our hardest hit neighborhoods are also the neighborhoods with the lowest vaccination rates by population,” Marty Martinez, the city’s chief of health and human services told reporters during a media roundtable on Tuesday.

Last edited:
108 illegal immigrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say
Texas city says it doesn't have authority to prevent migrants who test positive from traveling elsewhere

108 illegal immigrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say

Fox News is known for reporting that confirms its biases without providing nuance. So here are two stories about this situation to broaden our understanding a bit.

Some hypocritical faux outrage by Governor Abbott, blaming illegal immigrants for spreading Covid, when he has just opened up the whole state. The positivity rate is lower among the immigrants than in the TX population.

After Lifting Covid Restrictions, Gov. Greg Abbott Claims Undocumented Immigrants Are Spreading Virus In Texas

“The Biden Administration is recklessly releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants who have COVID into Texas communities,” Abbott tweeted.

One day after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) eliminated most of his state’s coronavirus restrictions, the governor claimed immigrants released into his state by federal authorities are helping to spread the virus.
<snip>
The governor’s office did not offer any evidence for the claim, but he might be referring to reports from Telemundo and Fox News this week on migrants who were released into the border city of Brownsville who subsequently tested positive for the virus (an Abbott spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment).

Brownsville spokesperson Felipe Romero told Forbes 108 migrants tested positive after being dropped off in his city between Jan. 25 and March 1, or just over three per day, a positivity rate of 6.3% — he told Telemundo these migrants were advised to quarantine.

By comparison, Texas as a whole has reported around 294,000 confirmed coronavirus cases between Jan. 25 and March 1, and in recent days, the state has averaged about 4,800 daily cases at a positivity rateof just under 9%.
———————-

That being said, on the other hand, I would like to know why the Customs and Border Patrol is not testing and holding immigrants who test positive instead of dumping them on Brownsville where they don’t have the power to retain them.

After Border Patrol release, asylum-seekers test positive for Covid in Brownsville, Texas
The city of Brownsville administers these rapid tests at the bus station, after migrant families are released by the Border Patrol. A spokesperson for Brownsville confirmed that, since they began doing these tests Jan. 25, 108 migrants have tested positive for Covid-19, which is 6.3 percent of those who took the test.

Noticias Telemundo Investiga asked Customs and Border Patrol about the release of migrant families and Covid-19 testing. A spokesperson said in an email that CBP personnel conduct initial inspections for symptoms or risk factors associated with Covid-19 and consult as appropriate with onsite medical personnel, the CDC or local health systems.

Suspected Covid-19 cases "are referred to local health systems for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment," according to CBP.

Fox News is known for reporting that confirms its biases without providing nuance. So here are two stories about this situation to broaden our understanding a bit.

Some hypocritical faux outrage by Governor Abbott, blaming illegal immigrants for spreading Covid, when he has just opened up the whole state. The positivity rate is lower among the immigrants than in the TX population.

After Lifting Covid Restrictions, Gov. Greg Abbott Claims Undocumented Immigrants Are Spreading Virus In Texas

“The Biden Administration is recklessly releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants who have COVID into Texas communities,” Abbott tweeted.

One day after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) eliminated most of his state’s coronavirus restrictions, the governor claimed immigrants released into his state by federal authorities are helping to spread the virus.
<snip>
The governor’s office did not offer any evidence for the claim, but he might be referring to reports from Telemundo and Fox News this week on migrants who were released into the border city of Brownsville who subsequently tested positive for the virus (an Abbott spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment).

Brownsville spokesperson Felipe Romero told Forbes 108 migrants tested positive after being dropped off in his city between Jan. 25 and March 1, or just over three per day, a positivity rate of 6.3% — he told Telemundo these migrants were advised to quarantine.

By comparison, Texas as a whole has reported around 294,000 confirmed coronavirus cases between Jan. 25 and March 1, and in recent days, the state has averaged about 4,800 daily cases at a positivity rateof just under 9%.
———————-

That being said, on the other hand, I would like to know why the Customs and Border Patrol is not testing and holding immigrants who test positive instead of dumping them on Brownsville where they don’t have the power to retain them.

After Border Patrol release, asylum-seekers test positive for Covid in Brownsville, Texas
The city of Brownsville administers these rapid tests at the bus station, after migrant families are released by the Border Patrol. A spokesperson for Brownsville confirmed that, since they began doing these tests Jan. 25, 108 migrants have tested positive for Covid-19, which is 6.3 percent of those who took the test.

Noticias Telemundo Investiga asked Customs and Border Patrol about the release of migrant families and Covid-19 testing. A spokesperson said in an email that CBP personnel conduct initial inspections for symptoms or risk factors associated with Covid-19 and consult as appropriate with onsite medical personnel, the CDC or local health systems.

Suspected Covid-19 cases "are referred to local health systems for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment," according to CBP.

If a single illegal immigrant who tests positive to Covid is knowingly released to possibly spread the virus to innocent people in States far away from Texas it's just not right in my opinion. From your link.

Eva Orellana, 29, who is from Honduras and who tested positive, said she was going to take the bus to North Carolina with her 3-year-old daughter. "On the way, we were wearing a mask all the time, gel, washing our hands," she said. "Really, I don't feel anything."

Last edited:
If a single illegal immigrant who tests positive to Covid is knowingly released to possibly spread the virus to innocent people in States far away from Texas it's just not right in my opinion.

Exactly!
Ask my friend, who lost both her parents to Covid within two weeks of each other, if it's ok that sick illegal immigrants are traveling around on buses, across the country and exposing everyone in their way.
And being referred by the CDC to a clinic for treatment is not a guarantee of anything. I could refer them back to their home countries for treatment.

Close your borders.,
If only.... I surely wish Trump had closed the borders a year ago. As in, locked them down, period. It didn’t matter what he did anyway, he was going to be roasted for it. So he might as well have shut the borders down, period.

I also wish Biden would close the borders. Alas, he seems determined to allow covid positive illegal immigrants free reign to spread the virus wherever they want. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member