TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I by no means considered myself an expert in this area either. :confused:
Like @Limecat, I even question whether this type incident can be caused by hitting ones head. I feel like we are all trying our best to come up with so many answers that may help find Jason, that any bit of info may be helpful. So when I came across this I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post.
I honestly at this point aren’t sure what I believe to be the events that occurred up to Jason disappearing. I just pray his family gets answers soon.

I think we're all in the same boat. Tossing various things out to get other's opinions to help us process the (limited) information as we know it. It's definitely a perplexing case, isn't it? :confused:

Not sure why there is a theory that Jason would have vulnerable to some sort of “cult” or life alteration? Did he post about such ideas? I thought he had just begun at this college in the same fall, of 2020?

I may be alone or in the minority but I really think the only mystery is how far he managed to go on foot and where he will, hopefully, be found one day. After the impact of a car wreck, when maybe he had even fallen asleep for example, a person might do almost anything in the confusion and shock, possibly a bit stoned, groggy, etc...

Also not sure it is useful to decide who did what wrong, who should be blamed, etc...at least not while he still has not been found. If cars are abandoned at the rate many Texans gave suggested, I doubt a wholesale policy change will take place either way, but that does not mean that the LE involves in Jason’s case are not making changes to their usual procedures or discussing options for improvement. I feel pretty sure that no one feels satisfied with how this has gone...that some have regrets, etc and wish they had done things another way. No telling if the the outcome to where we are now would be any different though.
All jmo.

I by no means considered myself an expert in this area either. :confused:
Like @Limecat, I even question whether this type incident can be caused by hitting ones head. I feel like we are all trying our best to come up with so many answers that may help find Jason, that any bit of info may be helpful. So when I came across this I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post.
I honestly at this point aren’t sure what I believe to be the events that occurred up to Jason disappearing. I just pray his family gets answers soon.
I don’t know why but it really resonated with me! Like something sort of clicked. It could explain no blood in the vehicle, the assumption JL wasn’t badly injured, the removal of clothes, etc. I’m not sure how far someone could walk in that circumstance especially barefoot but adrenaline does some pretty crazy things.

I know I posted before my post-op “hot flash” experience and I can tell you I would have walked ten miles naked to get to a walk in cooler. I truly thought I was going to spontaneously combust.
I’m off to read a bit more. IMO/speculation of course

Not sure why there is a theory that Jason would have vulnerable to some sort of “cult” or life alteration? Did he post about such ideas? I thought he had just begun at this college in the same fall, of 2020?

I may be alone or in the minority but I really think the only mystery is how far he managed to go on foot and where he will, hopefully, be found one day. After the impact of a car wreck, when maybe he had even fallen asleep for example, a person might do almost anything in the confusion and shock, possibly a bit stoned, groggy, etc...

Also not sure it is useful to decide who did what wrong, who should be blamed, etc...at least not while he still has not been found. If cars are abandoned at the rate many Texans gave suggested, I doubt a wholesale policy change will take place either way, but that does not mean that the LE involves in Jason’s case are not making changes to their usual procedures or discussing options for improvement. I feel pretty sure that no one feels satisfied with how this has gone...that some have regrets, etc and wish they had done things another way. No telling if the the outcome to where we are now would be any different though.
All jmo.

no, you're not alone; a lot of people think he'll be found somewhere nearby. It's the simplest and most plausible explanation.

some of the theories are a bit "out there" but I think it comes from a good desire that some scenario, however remote, ends with him being alive and out there.

I don't really find the discussion about proper protocols followed or not to be a big problem as we aren't distracting the SAR or other parts of the investigation (so far as I know).

It doesn't seem illogical to me at all. OK, so it does, but this isn't exactly the time when people are being logical.

I posted very early on (Thread #1?) about a personal experience of mine where I rolled my car down a freeway on-ramp and the car stopped with the passenger side resting on a smallish tree so the car was at an angle (imagine both left tires on the ground, both right tires about a foot and a half off the ground (only guessing, I have no clue as it was very confusing to me)). What was my first thought? I rolled down my window and was going to try to climb out of it. Then I thought... 'why don't you try the door first, then climb out if that doesn't work'. Thank GOD some sense crept into my brain. LOL The door worked just fine so that's how I exited the car. But I stood there in utter confusion as my car was facing a pasture and I had no idea how I came through that (I hadn't, I had come from the opposite direction, but my internal compass was all messed up at that point, along with the logical part of my brain).

Just about all logic is lost when something like this happens. It's like your mind snaps from the rush of it. And speaking of the rush of it... somehow everything slows waaaayyyyy down so you don't miss a thing! :eek: I rolled in slow-mo. But back to the logic, or lack thereof... I used to go dancing and had my 'dancing shoes' in the car with me.

When I opened the door a lot of the things that weren't nailed down, and flew around the car while rolling, fell out the open door. I located ONE of my high heels and climbed back up the slope to the onramp with it. Like 1 high heel is going to do me any good once I'd be able to go dancing again. But to me, in all my confusion about what had just happened, that one shoe was VERY important to me so I held on to it like my life depended on it.

So the gist here is to throw out logic when it comes to something like whatever happened to Jason. It likely flew out the window either before, during, or immediately after his accident.

Obviously all just MHO. :)
BBM
Same here with my rollover
My memory of it was sllllooooowwww motion..very slow, like I was in a bubble.
friends that were behind me, however, said it was fast and they saw my blazer flip over twice.
I did exit thru the passenger side as the driver side was wedged up next to trees down in a ravine.
Every single thing in my vehicle flew out all of the windows which were all blown out, except me. Everything.. strewn around outside

Last edited:
BBM
Same here with my rollover
My memory of it was sllllooooowwww motion..very slow, like I was in a bubble.
friends that were behind me, however, said it was fast and they saw my blazer flip over twice.
I did exit thru the passenger side as the driver side was wedged up next to trees down in a ravine.
Every single thing in my vehicle flew out all of the windows which were all blown out, except me. Everything.. strewn around outside

I Googled for why this happens as you made me curious. If Jason was doing the driving down SFR perhaps his brain too slowed way down for him to observe everything. It doesn't solve anything, nor bring him home, but I thought it was interesting.

Why Time Slows Down during an Accident

I've experienced the "slow motion" effect in a car accident, too, as well as experiencing things that were impossible.

Long story not-so-short, a lady lost control of her car on the freeway, and spun around 180 degrees. She was still moving fast, but was going the wrong way. I'd just merged onto the freeway, coming around a curve to do so. It's hard to explain, but there was a divider that prevented me from seeing her until it was too late to avoid the collision (that interchange has been re-done since then). I'd just reached a regular freeway speed (55mph) from the merge, and that's when I saw her car coming toward me, in slow motion. Oddly, it was twisting and bending and warping, almost as if it was made of Jello. What in the world?!? Cars can't do that!

As I was puzzling over her Jello car, I realized she was slowly headed my direction. I looked around a way to avoid her, but there was nowhere I could go. I hit my brakes, braced myself, and we collided head-on. It felt like slamming into a concrete wall. Ow, to put it mildly. Her car was most definitely NOT made of Jello! (LOL!)

As my car was slowing down, I remember bright grass and brush flying past the windshield. I had zero sense of direction. Where was I? Had my car flipped? When the car came to a stop, I started checking to make sure I was still in one piece. Feet? Yep, they're there. Legs? They look okay. Etc.

Suddenly a man knocked on my window, startling me. I have NO IDEA where he came from. That's when I realized I was holding my breath, and started gasping for air. He asked if I was okay, and I said yes, and I asked him to call my husband. Then he was gone, as fast as he appeared!

I gathered up my belongings, including some computer disks and blueprints where I was doing some subcontract work for a local business. I remember feeling that I absolutely had to protect their disks and blueprints at all costs (they had multiple backups - it was all easily replaceable). I clung to them like my life depended on it. (I wonder if Jason initially did the same thing with his belongings, then later put them down?) The police showed up, and a few minutes later, my husband got there.

That's when I noticed that my car had stopped pretty-as-you-please in the emergency lane on the freeway, as if I'd purposely parked there. The car never got in the grass at all, even though I clearly remember grass and brush flying past the windshield. I also noticed that I'd missed a freeway sign pole by inches. I don't remember seeing that pole until then. I also don't remember the man calling my husband, but later my husband told me that the man had used his vehicle to straddle the lanes behind us, to keep additional vehicles from being involved. Another bit of weirdness: The impact took out my steering and brakes. I have no idea how the car "parked itself" so tidily in the emergency lane, safely out of traffic. Somebody was looking out for me that day!

Injury-wise, I had some nasty bruises on my tummy from the seatbelt (lap belt only; it was a 1970's vehicle that we were restoring). The steering wheel broke, and I bumped my head on the sun visor somehow, breaking it as well. I had some back pain and soreness afterwards, but nothing serious. No "open" injuries at all (no blood). The other driver was okay, too.

(Oops, I didn't mean to write a book! LOL! :oops: )

But anyway, yeah, time and perceptions seem to do some weird and confusing things when you're in a super-stressful situation. It's possible that my little head-bump could have temporarily affected my perceptions after the impact, even though I didn't have a bruise on my head or a knot or anything. I wonder if Jason's wreck caused a head injury, and if so, if that caused the same "protect-my-belongings-at-all-costs" reaction ... then something happened (perhaps the injury worsened?), causing him to put his belongings on the road for some reason that made sense to him.

But if he was injured and wandered away, where the heck IS he?? :(

I've experienced the "slow motion" effect in a car accident, too, as well as experiencing things that were impossible.

Long story not-so-short, a lady lost control of her car on the freeway, and spun around 180 degrees. She was still moving fast, but was going the wrong way. I'd just merged onto the freeway, coming around a curve to do so. It's hard to explain, but there was a divider that prevented me from seeing her until it was too late to avoid the collision (that interchange has been re-done since then). I'd just reached a regular freeway speed (55mph) from the merge, and that's when I saw her car coming toward me, in slow motion. Oddly, it was twisting and bending and warping, almost as if it was made of Jello. What in the world?!? Cars can't do that!

As I was puzzling over her Jello car, I realized she was slowly headed my direction. I looked around a way to avoid her, but there was nowhere I could go. I hit my brakes, braced myself, and we collided head-on. It felt like slamming into a concrete wall. Ow, to put it mildly. Her car was most definitely NOT made of Jello! (LOL!)

As my car was slowing down, I remember bright grass and brush flying past the windshield. I had zero sense of direction. Where was I? Had my car flipped? When the car came to a stop, I started checking to make sure I was still in one piece. Feet? Yep, they're there. Legs? They look okay. Etc.

Suddenly a man knocked on my window, startling me. I have NO IDEA where he came from. That's when I realized I was holding my breath, and started gasping for air. He asked if I was okay, and I said yes, and I asked him to call my husband. Then he was gone, as fast as he appeared!

I gathered up my belongings, including some computer disks and blueprints where I was doing some subcontract work for a local business. I remember feeling that I absolutely had to protect their disks and blueprints at all costs (they had multiple backups - it was all easily replaceable). I clung to them like my life depended on it. (I wonder if Jason initially did the same thing with his belongings, then later put them down?) The police showed up, and a few minutes later, my husband got there.

That's when I noticed that my car had stopped pretty-as-you-please in the emergency lane on the freeway, as if I'd purposely parked there. The car never got in the grass at all, even though I clearly remember grass and brush flying past the windshield. I also noticed that I'd missed a freeway sign pole by inches. I don't remember seeing that pole until then. I also don't remember the man calling my husband, but later my husband told me that the man had used his vehicle to straddle the lanes behind us, to keep additional vehicles from being involved. Another bit of weirdness: The impact took out my steering and brakes. I have no idea how the car "parked itself" so tidily in the emergency lane, safely out of traffic. Somebody was looking out for me that day!

Injury-wise, I had some nasty bruises on my tummy from the seatbelt (lap belt only; it was a 1970's vehicle that we were restoring). The steering wheel broke, and I bumped my head on the sun visor somehow, breaking it as well. I had some back pain and soreness afterwards, but nothing serious. No "open" injuries at all (no blood). The other driver was okay, too.

(Oops, I didn't mean to write a book! LOL! :oops: )

But anyway, yeah, time and perceptions seem to do some weird and confusing things when you're in a super-stressful situation. It's possible that my little head-bump could have temporarily affected my perceptions after the impact, even though I didn't have a bruise on my head or a knot or anything. I wonder if Jason's wreck caused a head injury, and if so, if that caused the same "protect-my-belongings-at-all-costs" reaction ... then something happened (perhaps the injury worsened?), causing him to put his belongings on the road for some reason that made sense to him.

But if he was injured and wandered away, where the heck IS he?? :(

Wow. I'm so glad you shared your experience, both for me, and what Jason might have experienced. It tells us how out of the normal things can be for the person experiencing them. Like... anyone not experiencing something like this can't 100% understand. So often people want to be logical about things like this, when logic just doesn't apply.

The whole "jello car thing" was very interesting. Equating it to my experience I'd have to guess your slow-mo was way slower than my slow-mo. I have to admit I wish I had witnessed jello cars (or jello anything).

Another thing I find interesting is the need to cling to something we feel is so important, as if our very lives depended on it. Disks that were backed up for you and my one dancing shoe. Like they were lifelines... Makes me wonder if Jason's fish was his lifeline and why he carried it from the crashed car. It was extremely important to him so very well could be.

So your comment "time and perceptions seem to do some weird and confusing things when you're in a super-stressful situation" make me try to put myself into his shoes (before he ditched them) and try to imagine what might have been going through his head.

Because many in these car accidents have head injuries, or are under the influence, or get hypothermia. All 3 will cause people to run away from the car ( which the car is by far the safest place to remain ) and run out into the elements. Paranoia from drugs often make them run into the woods thinking theyre being chased, hypothermia makes them take their clothes off ( feeling hot rather than cold- paradoxical unrobing) and try to burrow somewhere deep, and head injuries cause them to walk and then pass out/or die depending on how severe the injury.
Prior to become a counselor I was a medic and we saw this often. It’s tragic but real. Rarely is something nefarious occurring.

How long does it take on average for the effects of smoking laced weed to wear off? It seems that if he were mentally impaired from the weed that he would have been limited in the distance that he have gone by the fact of no shoes on a gravel road, and no clothes (barbed wire fences). How far can a man with no clothes go without being noticed when the sun comes up?

Someone upthread had an idea about the fish that's worth repeating. The series of events that led to Jason driving too fast on an unfamiliar road, swerving, over-correcting and crashing, especially if any hallucinogenic drug was in play, may have led Jason to be injured or believe he was injured, and like a couple of you have reported, his fish may have been his thing. His shoe, his blueprints. If his next thought was that his fish needed water, perhaps in his disorientation, a lake seemed logical. Beloved fish, big water. Which led to heroic disrobing, as if he were about to dive into life-saving water to rescue....his fish...

It doesn't account for his scent trail ending, but it might explain the undressing, down even to his watch.

Is it possible that Jason, undressed, pivoted at the end of his scent trail, followed that general path back and then disappeared in a direction that a dog simply failed to detect?

We'd all go for our phones but that's with the advantage of full faculties. If Jason's most important thing, in that moment, was his fish, then protecting his fish could've become his mission -- looking for water wherever his addled mind thought he might find it. A house, a pond, a culvert...

Doesn't explain why he's still missing but it hits some pieces....

Where are you Jason?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members