Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know more about this "source close to law enforcement" as per the recent Radar article (is this possibly a purposeful leak by police or just BS?). Also, there hasn't been a single word from Donavan about this article... very curious... I'm sure he would be pretty upset if they were just using his work and then falsely creating a "source close to law enforcement" if there really isn't one. All very curious, I must say.

A media reporter isn’t an attorney, nor does one seek legal advice from a media reporter.

ETA - This is the best I can find, from a Canadian Journalist Newsletter. The same as any evidence, search warrants and subpoenas can be sought against the media. I don’t suppose KD would tell us if this has occurred.

SEARCH AND SEIZURE
From time to time, police forces attempt to compel journalists to turn over their materials – notes, photographs, recordings. In addition to depriving journalists of access to their work, this practice can put journalists at risk or make their job more difficult in future if they are seen as an arm of the police.

In Canada, examples of search and seizure have included taking cameras and recording devices from the hands of journalists reporting on a crime scene and the use of search warrants and subpoenas to gain access to a reporter’s work.
Free Expression and the Law

And yet so many attorneys (including at least 1 in this case) act as though they are media personalities.....

A media reporter isn’t an attorney, nor does one seek legal advice from a media reporter.

ETA - This is the best I can find, from a Canadian Journalist Newsletter. The same as any evidence, search warrants and subpoenas can be sought against the media. I don’t suppose KD would tell us if this has occurred.

SEARCH AND SEIZURE
From time to time, police forces attempt to compel journalists to turn over their materials – notes, photographs, recordings. In addition to depriving journalists of access to their work, this practice can put journalists at risk or make their job more difficult in future if they are seen as an arm of the police.

In Canada, examples of search and seizure have included taking cameras and recording devices from the hands of journalists reporting on a crime scene and the use of search warrants and subpoenas to gain access to a reporter’s work.
Free Expression and the Law

And yet so many attorneys (including at least 1 in this case) act as though they are media personalities.....
I'd like to know more about this "source close to law enforcement" as per the recent Radar article (is this possibly a purposeful leak by police or just BS?). Also, there hasn't been a single word from Donavan about this article... very curious... I'm sure he would be pretty upset if they were just using his work and then falsely creating a "source close to law enforcement" if there really isn't one. All very curious, I must say.

IMO the article is just a rehash of stuff that has already been written

IMO the article is just a rehash of stuff that has already been written

Yes, except for the very important "Source close to law enforcement" claim and "Imminent arrest" headline... we have never seen anything like this before. So, it begs the Huge question: is this source
1. fake (made up) -- this would be a real garbage move by the publication;
2. for real;
3. a "source" the police are using to test the waters on a suspect/person of interest's behaviours following the story...?

Any reporter that makes up a source that isn't real is just a pathetic liar and shouldn't be a journalist; sadly, the press is full of these low-lifes!

Last edited:
Yes, except for the very important "Source close to law enforcement" claim and "Imminent arrest" headline... we have never seen anything like this before. So, it begs the Huge question: is this source
2. for real;
3. a "source" the police are using to test the waters on a suspect/person of interest's behaviours following the story...?

Any reporter that makes up a source that isn't real is just a pathetic liar and shouldn't be a journalist; sadly, the press is full of these low-lifes!
I think it's important to look at and evaluate which media outlet is publishing a story. I don't want to drive traffic to a celebrity gossip site, so I'll share one of today's top stories from Radar Online: "Addiction, Lack Of Personal Hygiene, Self-Inflicted Injuries & The Threat Of Violence: Phil Collins' Ex Reveals What Life Was Really Like With Her Not So ‘Easy Lover’"

IMO, many online rag writers don't outright invent stories, but they are dedicated to producing clickbait, rather than reporting facts. We, the public, need to be able to discern the difference between fact and spin, just as we have to know that Microsoft doesn't phone people up offering to fix their computers, and that you shouldn't give your life savings to someone who guarantees a 10% annual return.

Noting that i immediately reported my post to make sure the link was okay, was going to add some kind of disclaimer, but figured it would be more fun without it, and it has been! imo.

I love you, dotr! I appreciated that you posted it. It just sounded...familiar. If Radar is the one to break the story of an arrest, and if I were KD, I’d throw a photocopier out the window.

The Canadian Jose Baez?
Not really. Baez is a very American phenomena, I think. Greenspan's clients are from the upper echelons of society, who, in bewilderment, find themselves on the wrong side of the law. But not from doing anything so distasteful as deliberately murdering anyone. People feel those kinds of defendents do deserve a defense lawyer but not one clever enough to get them off.

on Radar Online, much of what they said is word-for-word what Donovan said.. like a cut-paste and then they add in that they have a source. (and i'm not sure what the rules are for the Toronto Star being a source for Radar Online. pretty sketchy IMHO..... but i guess they are a source. like you list at the end of an essay)

i think they are making up a source.. and pushing the narrative slightly further than Donovan on their own. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize "an arrest MIGHT be imminent". and it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to say (but attributing it to a source, when maybe you made it up is not good at all)

if Radar Online had their own source, there would be much more unique info in that article.

as per Radar Online and Phil Collins' ex-wife, that's from a court document and is reported many places. Radar certainly sensationalizes it........ it's funny, i thought it was going to be from Phil's ex-wife of England/Vancouver, who had some not-so-nice things to say about him recently too.

2. for real;

What journalists are making up sources?

on Radar Online, much of what they said is word-for-word what Donovan said.. like a cut-paste and then they add in that they have a source. (and i'm not sure what the rules are for the Toronto Star being a source for Radar Online. pretty sketchy IMHO..... but i guess they are a source. like you list at the end of an essay)

i think they are making up a source.. and pushing the narrative slightly further than Donovan on their own. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize "an arrest MIGHT be imminent". and it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to say (but attributing it to a source, when maybe you made it up is not good at all)

if Radar Online had their own source, there would be much more unique info in that article.

as per Radar Online and Phil Collins' ex-wife, that's from a court document and is reported many places. Radar certainly sensationalizes it........ it's funny, i thought it was going to be from Phil's ex-wife of England/Vancouver, who had some not-so-nice things to say about him recently too.

Agree... however; the headline reads: "Arrest Imminent", not "might be imminent"!
That's a Huge distinction! They also attribute the "Arrest Imminent" to a "Source close to law enforcement"! If they made up this "source" (i.e., LIED), then that is despicable! That goes WAY beyond just "sensationalizing" a story -- that's flat out LYING!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member