Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
COVID vaccinations on track to reach 500,000 a week, Greg Hunt says

With general practitioners set to assist the COVID vaccination rollout in a couple of weeks, the federal Health Minister says Australian health professionals "will soon be delivering well over 500,000 vaccinations a week".

The federal government says there are 4,500 general practices around the country preparing to be part of the COVID-19 vaccination program that will take place later this month

There seems to be a variant that’s popped up on it’s own in Oregon where I live. :eek::eek::eek: Eek! (See below)

If this link is behind a paywall, check out the second link. The story isn’t as complete as the NYT though, even though it’s an Oregon paper.

In Oregon, Scientists Find a Virus Variant With a Worrying Mutation

Scientists in Oregon have spotted a homegrown version of a fast-spreading variant of the coronavirus that first surfaced in Britain — but now combined with a mutation that may make the variant less susceptible to vaccines.

The researchers have so far found just a single case of this formidable combination, but genetic analysis suggested that the variant had been acquired in the community and did not arise in the patient.

“We didn’t import this from elsewhere in the world — it occurred spontaneously,” said Brian O’Roak, a geneticist at Oregon Health and Science University who led the work. He and his colleagues participate in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s effort to track variants, and they have deposited their results in databases shared by scientists.

The variant originally identified in Britain, called B.1.1.7, has been spreading rapidly across the United States, and accounts for at least 2,500 cases in 46 states. This form of the virus is both more contagious, and more deadly, than the original version, and is expected to account for most infections in America in a few weeks.

The new version that surfaced in Oregon has the same backbone, but also a mutation — E484K, or “Eek” — seen in variants of the virus circulating in South Africa, Brazil and New York City.

Lab studies and clinical trials in South Africa indicate that the Eek mutation renders the current vaccines less effective by blunting the body’s immune response. (The vaccines still work, but the findings are worrying enough that Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna have begun testing new versions of their vaccines designed to defeat the variant found in South Africa.)

OHSU researchers find UK COVID variant with mutation that could be less affected by vaccines

There seems to be a variant that’s popped up on it’s own in Oregon where I live. :eek::eek::eek: Eek! (See below)

If this link is behind a paywall, check out the second link. The story isn’t as complete as the NYT though, even though it’s an Oregon paper.

Scientists in Oregon have spotted a homegrown version of a fast-spreading variant of the coronavirus that first surfaced in Britain — but now combined with a mutation that may make the variant less susceptible to vaccines.

The researchers have so far found just a single case of this formidable combination, but genetic analysis suggested that the variant had been acquired in the community and did not arise in the patient.

“We didn’t import this from elsewhere in the world — it occurred spontaneously,” said Brian O’Roak, a geneticist at Oregon Health and Science University who led the work. He and his colleagues participate in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s effort to track variants, and they have deposited their results in databases shared by scientists.

The variant originally identified in Britain, called B.1.1.7, has been spreading rapidly across the United States, and accounts for at least 2,500 cases in 46 states. This form of the virus is both more contagious, and more deadly, than the original version, and is expected to account for most infections in America in a few weeks.

The new version that surfaced in Oregon has the same backbone, but also a mutation — E484K, or “Eek” — seen in variants of the virus circulating in South Africa, Brazil and New York City.

Lab studies and clinical trials in South Africa indicate that the Eek mutation renders the current vaccines less effective by blunting the body’s immune response. (The vaccines still work, but the findings are worrying enough that Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna have begun testing new versions of their vaccines designed to defeat the variant found in South Africa.)

OHSU researchers find UK COVID variant with mutation that could be less affected by vaccines

There are a few US variants now. There is a NY variant and a CA variant that I have already heard about.
I guess it was bound to happen.

When we had our outbreak in Melbourne, Victoria (the one where they went into a very long lockdown), a new variant was forming there ... which we only heard about later. They said that it was good that they locked down so hard and got rid of it, otherwise that new variant could have hit Australia in a very bad way.

City Health Official Says New NYC Variant Is A 'Reminder' To Stay Diligent About COVID Precautions
What we know about the California coronavirus variant

Researchers say the variant that swept Victoria during last year’s second wave was mutating into something more worrying
'Dodged a bullet': Melbourne lockdown may have prevented more deadly Covid-19 variant

There are a few US variants now. There is a NY variant and a CA variant that I have already heard about.
I guess it was bound to happen.

When we had our outbreak in Melbourne, Victoria (the one where they went into a very long lockdown), a new variant was forming there ... which we only heard about later. They said that it was good that they locked down so hard and got rid of it, otherwise that new variant could have hit Australia in a very bad way.

City Health Official Says New NYC Variant Is A 'Reminder' To Stay Diligent About COVID Precautions
What we know about the California coronavirus variant

Researchers say the variant that swept Victoria during last year’s second wave was mutating into something more worrying
'Dodged a bullet': Melbourne lockdown may have prevented more deadly Covid-19 variant

If it were up to me, I’d close the border between CA and OR to prevent the spread of these new variants. It’s probably a good thing it’s not up to me! :D Anyway, pretty soon there will be the Idaho and Nevada and Washington variants, so we’re toast.

‘Sorry’: Hunt slams GP’s vaccine suggestion

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has slammed calls from a Toorak doctor to charge patients for the rollout of the coronavirus vaccine.

Speaking on Sunday, Mr Hunt said a medic from the elite Melbourne suburb had expressed his desire to charge patients for the coronavirus vaccine, despite both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer doses being free of charge.

“I did have one Toorak doctor who talked to me about how much they wanted to charge patients,” Mr Hunt told reporters.

“We said sorry – this is bulk billed. This is something that we have striven for. Worked for as a society. This is free.”

o_O:confused::mad:
I just .... really hope the experts are wrong this time ....
Fauci warns U.S. could be headed for another virus spike | Boston.com
More at link
States have continued steadily lifting restrictions, despite warnings from top federal health officials like Dr. Anthony Fauci that new coronavirus cases in the United States have plateaued at a very high level after their drastic drop has stalled and that the country urgently needed to contain the spread of more transmissible variants.

Arizona, California and South Carolina joined a growing list Friday by loosening restrictions, to varying degrees. Arizona’s governor ended capacity limits on businesses but said they must still require masks. South Carolina’s Republican governor lifted the state’s mask mandate in government buildings, while recommending restaurants continue requiring masking. California will allow amusement parks and outdoor sports and live events at stadiums to restart April 1, with reduced capacity and mandatory masks.

“We’ve just now recently experienced the worst surge,” Fauci said Friday during a White House coronavirus briefing, adding that the country had plateaued at between 60,000 and 70,000 new cases per day. “When you have that much of viral activity in a plateau, it almost invariably means that you are at risk for another spike.”

The seven-day average of new cases was about 61,000 day as of Friday, the lowest average since October, according to a New York Times database. But that number was still close to last summer’s highest peak.
Fatalities are falling, too, in part because of vaccinations at nursing homes. Yet the nation is still routinely reporting 2,000 deaths in a single day.

Fauci warned the United States could be following the same treacherous path that Europe has recently been on. “They plateaued,” he said. “And now, over the past week, they saw an increase in cases by 9% — something we desperately want to avoid”. He warned that the virus mutates as it replicates, a process that can be extended when immunocompromised people are infected. He said that maintaining masking, hand-washing and social distancing was urgent.

I haven’t been following news of Europe at all :(
Fast-spreading variants boost coronavirus surge across Europe
Europe recorded 1 million new COVID-19 cases last week, an increase of 9% from the previous week and a reversal that ended a six-week decline in new infections, WHO said Thursday.

hopefully the vaccination progress can help us (US) stay one step ahead
The Virus Spread Where Restaurants Reopened or Mask Mandates Were Absent
Much more at link
C.D.C. researchers found that coronavirus infections and death rates rose in U.S. counties permitting in-person dining or not requiring masks.

Last edited:
Old article from April 2020 but something very interesting:

Siesta Key local builds fence to mitigate crowds during pandemic

“The public beach is great. Everybody is abiding, but Sarasota County only owns 10 percent of Siesta Key Beach. The other 90 percent of Siesta Key Beach is private,” said Holderness.

One of my colleagues mentioned to me about all the out-of-state people crowded together on the beach, COVID-19 in the air.

Can you imagine all those people on just 10% of Siesta Key Beach.

I am just grateful I am not a beach person and neither is my husband.

Old article from April 2020 but something very interesting:

Siesta Key local builds fence to mitigate crowds during pandemic

“The public beach is great. Everybody is abiding, but Sarasota County only owns 10 percent of Siesta Key Beach. The other 90 percent of Siesta Key Beach is private,” said Holderness.

One of my colleagues mentioned to me about all the out-of-state people crowded together on the beach, COVID-19 in the air.

Can you imagine all those people on just 10% of Siesta Key Beach.

I am just grateful I am not a beach person and neither is my husband.
Interesting.

Some locals put it up and other locals were cutting it down (no reason given) so I wonder how it is now 11 months later? I wonder if the fence guy got what he wanted or if the locals continued cutting it down.
Who got their way...... or who won the fence "war" ?

WTVT-Still-2020-04-08-17h30m31s240.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

Some locals put it up and other locals were cutting it down (no reason given) so I wonder how it is now 11 months later? I wonder if the fence guy got what he wanted or if the locals continued cutting it down.
Who got their way...... or who won the fence "war" ?

WTVT-Still-2020-04-08-17h30m31s240.jpg

Here is one answer:

More no trespassing signs popping up on private properties on Siesta Key beaches

“Private property rights exist out there and that what we consider the beach is not necessarily the public beach,” said Michael Barfield, a paralegal. “And private property owners have a right to enforce their rights to keep people off their property.

I remember back in March and April people were told to "stay home". Yeah, folks from NYC and California didn't seem to get that memo, because hotels, flights, were booked up in Montana, because we didn't have the Covid virus at that time.

And then, we started spiking all over.

Australia and New Zealand have been able to control the virus in their countries due to rigorous border control, enforced quarantines.

Meanwhile, here, they tell us to wear a mask and wash our hands...and mask wearing is no longer mandatory in Montana.

Last edited:
Merck says study shows COVID-19 drug causes quick reduction in virus
“The secondary objective findings in this study, of a quicker decrease in infectious virus among individuals with early COVID-19 treated with molnupiravir, are promising,” said William Fischer, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, in a statement from the companies.

Merck says study shows COVID-19 drug causes quick reduction in virus

Last edited:
The bottom line, is that the faster people get vaccinated, the better off we will all be.

I am glad that my husband is fully vaccinated now, but we really have not changed our habits. We don't go out to eat, or have any visitors.

My friend states she won't get a vaccine, and does not believe in them for her children. I asked her if her dog had a rabies vaccine, she said he did...so, she takes better care of the dog than the kids? Just saying.

(Of course, legally, dogs need to have a rabies tag here...).

Some Massachusetts folks had a bit of a fit when they mandated the flu shot for kids this year. o_O

No link but I think just saw there was one ONE!? Pediatric flu death this year.

The bottom line, is that the faster people get vaccinated, the better off we will all be.

I am glad that my husband is fully vaccinated now, but we really have not changed our habits. We don't go out to eat, or have any visitors.

My friend states she won't get a vaccine, and does not believe in them for her children. I asked her if her dog had a rabies vaccine, she said he did...so, she takes better care of the dog than the kids? Just saying.

(Of course, legally, dogs need to have a rabies tag here...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni