Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Sorry’: Hunt slams GP’s vaccine suggestion

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has slammed calls from a Toorak doctor to charge patients for the rollout of the coronavirus vaccine.

Speaking on Sunday, Mr Hunt said a medic from the elite Melbourne suburb had expressed his desire to charge patients for the coronavirus vaccine, despite both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer doses being free of charge.

“I did have one Toorak doctor who talked to me about how much they wanted to charge patients,” Mr Hunt told reporters.

“We said sorry – this is bulk billed. This is something that we have striven for. Worked for as a society. This is free.”

They are saying this morning that some doctors are saying their govt payment of $24 for giving the first jab and $31 for giving the second jab will make vaccinations 'unviable' for them.

Source: Ch7 News

Seeing that a nurse in their offices will be giving the jabs (usual practise), I think those doctors will get on board ... otherwise I can see the defence forces may help out even further.

o_O:confused::mad:
I just .... really hope the experts are wrong this time ....
Fauci warns U.S. could be headed for another virus spike | Boston.com
More at link
States have continued steadily lifting restrictions, despite warnings from top federal health officials like Dr. Anthony Fauci that new coronavirus cases in the United States have plateaued at a very high level after their drastic drop has stalled and that the country urgently needed to contain the spread of more transmissible variants.

<RSBM>

I am not sure that the experts will be wrong .. even Dr Osterholm has weighed in.

"At 2.9 to 3 million doses of vaccine a day over the next six to 14 weeks, when this surge is likely to happen, is not going to really take care of the problem at all"

Just one month ago, B.1.1.7 made up around 4% of coronavirus cases in the US, among those that have undergone genomic sequencing. "Today, it's up to 30 to 40%," Osterholm told NBC on Sunday. "And what we've seen in Europe, when we hit that 50% mark, you'll see cases surge."

US coronavirus: Don't drop the masks yet. One variant is 'increasing exponentially' - CNN

The Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, received his first shot of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine on Saturday in the northern Indian town of Dharamsala. :)

“This injection is very, very helpful,” the 85-year-old, a leader of Tibetan Buddhism, said in a video message after the inoculation, indicating that he hoped his example would inspire more people to “have courage” to get themselves vaccinated for the “greater benefit.”

The Dalai Lama Receives His First Dose

Last edited:
Is it finally safe for California to reopen? It’s happening fast, despite lingering risks
As daily coronavirus cases plunge, California is barreling toward what would be the widest reopening of businesses, schools and public spaces since the horrific surge of the fall and winter.

But even with cases falling and vaccine distribution efforts slowly gaining steam, there are questions about whether the state is moving too fast.

Is it finally safe for California to reopen? It's happening fast, despite lingering risks

Finding a possible early treatment for COVID-19 in a 40-year-old antidepressant

Just saw this story on 60 minutes- very impressive so far in trials: Fluvoxamine- a 60cent pill used for depression has been seen as effective in keeping people out of the hospital and no deaths so far in trials. This is the first time I heard of this drug.

This sounded really promising on 60 Minutes. If I understood the doctor who tried it on the racetrack workers, a doctor can use a drug “off label” as he did. So I wonder if someone who tests positive with risk factors could persuade their doctor to prescribe it, while still doing the FDA approved monoclonal antibody treatment.

This link is a transcript of the 60 Minutes segment.
Sharyn Alfonsi: Did you feel like you were placing a bet on these patients at all?

Dr. David Seftel: No, because I weighed the risk and reward. And in this particular circumstances, strong biochemistry, great initial clinical results, minimal downside. I felt I had to act.

Dr. Seftel's decision to use a prescription drug off-label is an accepted medical practice – with patient consent. The most common side effect of fluvoxamine is slight nausea.

Sharyn Alfonsi: How many of them ended up taking the fluvoxamine and what was the outcome?

Dr. David Seftel: Sixty-Five patients elected to take fluvoxamine. Forty-eight declined. 12.5% of all those who refused fluvoxamine ended up hospitalized and one died. In the group that did take fluvoxamine, none of them were hospitalized.

Once again - none of the covid patients taking fluvoxamine deteriorated.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Could it have been a fluke?

Dr. David Seftel: I don't believe so. You cannot influence a virus that is as wily and as wicked as COVID with a fluke.

This sounded really promising on 60 Minutes. If I understood the doctor who tried it on the racetrack workers, a doctor can use a drug “off label” as he did. So I wonder if someone who tests positive with risk factors could persuade their doctor to prescribe it, while still doing the FDA approved monoclonal antibody treatment.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Did you feel like you were placing a bet on these patients at all?

Dr. David Seftel: No, because I weighed the risk and reward. And in this particular circumstances, strong biochemistry, great initial clinical results, minimal downside. I felt I had to act.

Dr. Seftel's decision to use a prescription drug off-label is an accepted medical practice – with patient consent. The most common side effect of fluvoxamine is slight nausea.

Sharyn Alfonsi: How many of them ended up taking the fluvoxamine and what was the outcome?

Dr. David Seftel: Sixty-Five patients elected to take fluvoxamine. Forty-eight declined. 12.5% of all those who refused fluvoxamine ended up hospitalized and one died. In the group that did take fluvoxamine, none of them were hospitalized.

Dr. David Seftel: I don't believe so. You cannot influence a virus that is as wily and as wicked as COVID with a fluke.

I think it would be great if they could pin down some low cost therapeutics. So this virus could be treated like the cold or flu instead of as the deadly virus it can be.

So compromised people could go for their annual covid shot, and OTC (and/or prescription) meds could dampen the symptoms and stop any escalation.

Last year, at around this time, the US opened up ... despite 'more than 100 deaths per day'.

This year, in the same month, the US is opening up again ... with over 1,400 deaths per day.

Trump vows to reopen US economy even as deaths from coronavirus rise
Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count
She is 29 and has been a 'nurse' for ten years? Where do you become a fully qualified nurse at 19 years old?

Problem is too many people don't care: we are all here on WS aware of the states that have opened up and are living life like there is no pandemic: they are endangering all of us, but they simply don't give a chit!!!! that is the bottom line

And many people simply don't keep up. If they turn on the nightly news and hear that their state mask mandate has been lifted, they feel safer, so they take more risks than they otherwise would.

Thanks for posting some of the particulars---- They are doing another trial on a larger scale to see if it shows the same results as the smaller trial, which was very encouraging for use of this drug. I like the doc's description of this virus as "wily and wicked"-- it surely is!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam