UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my own feelings about the case, I must say I was a little surprised by the Chief Commissioner's forthrightness, having regard to presumption of innocence and all that. What do others think?

JMO

In my opinion she is very sure of what happened and who did it. They were pretty damning words, a strong statement from the highest ranking officer of the entire UK. She is certain, and she is NOT happy it was one of her own.

I think a lot of what’s in the media will jeopardise a fair trial but I also think she was angry and worried and probably felt betrayed that one of her own would do this. I’m sure she’s also concerned that the Met might never recover from this. There’s already a tense relationship between them and the communities in London and no one has ever forgotten Stephen Lawrence and the effect he had on London policing. I think this may have a lasting damaging effect on their reputation which may end up being Cressida Dick’s legacy.
Perhaps more appropriate following conviction I was thinking. Difficult situation with the time it takes to go through the legal process I suppose. But he hasn't been charged yet, or hadn't been at that time.

I'm a newbie, but I'm reassured by this committed and correct modding, thank you.

Poor Sarah, and her poor family. My heart goes out to them. My thoughts have turned a little to WC's reputation within the Met and his relationships with colleagues. I wonder whether any internal stuff that might have been a glimpse of a red flag will be unearthed. I'm basing this train of thought a little on how LE reacted and carried out the investigation to this conclusion. Was it conducted in a certain way because of his position and his knowledge, or because there was a crystalizing of something - perhaps innocuous, maybe not - that had gone before.

I have no clue, obviously, but WC apparently had potential or capacity for extreme violence and violent behaviour, and he's working at the heart of LE, with all of its resources and expertise. I'm not suggesting for one moment that police should somehow be able to spot a potential offender on sight, but years of working with someone, when you're trained and experienced in various fields of LE, makes me wonder about what internal stuff might emerge.

Who is missing woman Sarah Everard and what do we know about her?

10 Mar 2021

We’ve all gone over the pictures a hundred times by now. The fuzzy CCTV image as she walks out of a supermarket in a mask and green rain jacket. The professional LinkedIn photo, posed against a window in a sleek grey jumper. The beaming post-race medal shot, released by her family in the hope it’ll spark anyone’s memory for a clue of what might have happened.

Most of us didn’t know Sarah Everard this time last week. The 33-year-old went missing last Wednesday evening on the walk she must have done a hundred times on her back to her home in Brixton Hill.

Seven days later, we all know Everard - or at least the details that have been released so far: that she is a Durham alumni who moved to south London after graduation; that she works in marketing; that family members saw her as a happy, fit and healthy young woman who’d given them no reason to suspect anything was wrong in the weeks before her disappearance.

[..]

Many have walked Everard’s route between Clapham and Brixton countless times in the past. For others, the postcode makes no difference. What does is the story’s reminder of that common fear-factor of walking alone and in the dark, listening out for footsteps or slow-driving cars.

There is a lot we don’t know about Everard’s disappearance, but Everard’s loved ones have been central in helping to piece together what we do. Her family from York have joined the search and released posters and photographs. Her boyfriend, who spoke to her on the phone just minutes before she went missing, has now been named as fellow Brixton resident and marketing director Josh Lowth. So far, this is what there is to know.

[..]

Despite my own feelings about the case, I must say I was a little surprised by the Chief Commissioner's forthrightness, having regard to presumption of innocence and all that. What do others think?

JMO
I agree completely. I am now wondering whether his arrest has opened a can of worms.
I'm not sure about CD - I was disappointed with her statement. It seemed that at best she was nervous and at worst was unfamilar with the case. I fully expected her to be fluent and sound as if she knew this case inside out.

edited for typo and I forgot to mention OPs question - time for bed methinks

That reminds me of the Yorkshire Ripper case in some ways. Not that the victims looked like his wife but the theory that he killed them because he felt like killing his wife. That may not be a completely correct interpretation but I remember reading that theory.

Perhaps more appropriate following conviction I was thinking. Difficult situation with the time it takes to go through the legal process I suppose. But he hasn't been charged yet, or hadn't been at that time.

Actually, good point - he should have been charged on at least the kidnapping by now as 24 hours have passed since he was arrested for that and there's no news about an extension is there? Also, has Elena Couzens been released or charged yet?

A now-derelict garage where Couzens worked at his family mechanics business was taped off by investigating police today.
upload_2021-3-10_19-16-44.jpeg
David Ladd, 48, who lives on the street, said he saw his neighbour being arrested last night.

He said: ‘I came back last night from a motorbike ride about 10pm and there were a load of plain clothes police officers in the street.

‘They had arrested Wayne. I saw him in handcuffs being put in the back of an unmarked silver car. Uniformed officers turned up and have been outside Wayne’s house since then.

‘Wayne himself was a police officer, he told me when we had a chat about three months ago. Although what exactly he did in the force I don’t know.

‘I’d seen that he had a motorbike and I had some problems with the exhaust on my bike and so went to see him to see if he could help. He gave me a few tips on what to do and we got chatting.’

Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave this morning refused to say what the officer had been arrested on suspicion of, in a departure from usual arrest details disclosed by police forces.

But he did say outside Scotland Yard: ‘Our inquiries suggest that this officer was not on duty at the time of Sarah’s disappearance.’

Mr Ephgrave would not say if the officer was known to Ms Everard. The Metropolitan Police officer, arrested in Kent in connection with the disappearance, today remained in custody at a London police station.

A woman was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender at the same location and was also detained at a London police station.

Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin said: ‘This is a significant development in our inquiry. This is a fast moving investigation and we are doing everything we can to find Sarah.

‘We have seen an overwhelming response from the public and I repeat my request for anyone with information that may be relevant to come forward, no matter how insignificant it may seem.’

Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave added: ‘The arrest this evening is a serious and significant development.
upload_2021-3-10_19-17-6.jpeg
upload_2021-3-10_19-17-45.jpeg
Sarah Everard: Serving Met Police officer, 48, arrested over disappearance | | Express Digest

This is what makes me wonder whether he has other victims. He seems to have a preference for a certain kind of appearance and that preference never ends well when a man is as violent and monstrous as him. JMO
Yes - I also wonder whether he stalked SE for days or weeks before he went out on his final sick hunt. She looks so like his pretty young wife it is too much of a coincidence to be random. I think he stalked her, like a hunter. JMO

I have just now caught up on this fast moving thread, and I am shocked and appalled at the recent developments.

A few thoughts of my own:
+ Given the indecent exposure arrest unrelated to SE, and the use of a hire car, I speculate that WC is indeed a sexually motivated offender who has been offending / planning / thinking about offending for some time. This was likely not his first offense

+ I disagree with some speculation seen here that characterizes him as an “Expert” or otherwise highly capable of covering his tracks. This is because he managed to be caught on camera and identified as POI within 6 days of SE disappearance and that human remains were found within 24h of his arrest. Not so much a mastermind, imho

+ I am very curious of the specifics of EC’s arrest and involvement from two perspectives. First, it appears she has some scientific knowledge so I am curious if she was perhaps in some way a willing accomplice or co-conspirator in hiding or destroying evidence. Alternatively, I wonder if she is perhaps the victim of abuse or coercion her self and supported her husband out of fear or trauma.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I am now wondering whether his arrest has opened a can of worms.
I'm not sure about CD - I was disappointed with her statement. It seemed that at best she was nervous and at worst was unfamilar with the case. I fully expected her to be fluent and sound as if she knew this case inside out.

edited for typo and I forgot to mention OPs question - time for bed methinks

I agree she seemed nervous.

Are you able to expand on what you mean by a can of worms?

I guess technically everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but the police would have far more information on the suspects and potential crimes than would be shared with the public.

In my opinion she is very sure of what happened and who did it. They were pretty damning words, a strong statement from the highest ranking officer of the entire UK. She is certain, and she is NOT happy it was one of her own.
I'm sure the evidence is very strong, but however strong, it does tend to undermine the legal process. It just surprises me that no regard was paid to that by the chief of police.

I want to know how Sarah could have gotten into this car, when the family have said (and any reasonably intelligent person would guess) that she would NEVER get into a stranger's car without knowing them. I just don't buy the "i'm a cop get in or i'll arrest you" - perhaps it was a genuine offer of a lift, but even that sounds dodge. How did she interact with him? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

On Tuesday evening, police put up a cordon outside a block of flats near where the footage was recorded. The search was focused on the Poynders Court housing complex, and forensics officers could be seen examining the area.

Sniffer dogs were also used to search the nearby Oaklands Estate and gardens in surrounding streets, while other officers were lifting covers and searching drains along the A205.

The Met said it had received more than 120 calls from the public and had visited 750 homes in the area as part of the investigation.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan told the PA news agency that he was in regular contact with the Met Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick about the investigation.

Khan added: “It is now in the public domain that a serving Met Police officer has been arrested. One of the things that this confirms that actually our police service, when it comes to keeping the public safe, when it comes to investigating crime, they work in a situation that is without fear or favour. They will follow the investigation to wherever it takes.”
Police search Kent locations as hunt for Sarah continues

"The man is a serving Metropolitan Police officer in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command. His primary role was uniformed patrol duties of diplomatic premises.

"A woman, who is aged in her 30s, was also arrested on the evening of March 9 on suspicion of assisting the offender. She remains in custody.

"Officers are searching locations in London and Kent including a property in Deal and an area of woodland near Ashford.

"Following the arrest of the police officer, the Metropolitan Police has made a referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct."

ondon Mayor Sadiq Khan has issued a statement saying "all of our thoughts" are with Ms Everard's family and friends.

“It must be awful for them, they are in our thoughts and prayers. Actually Sarah went missing from near to where I live and we’ve seen, my wife and daughters walking around, the posters her friends have put up and it’s heart-breaking, it’s heart-wrenching," Mr Khan said.
No Cookies | The Weekly Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member