GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Breonna Taylor and George Floyd, There Was Ahmaud Arbery

Still, the arguments may resonate in Glynn County, where Mr. Arbery and the accused men lived, and where the trial is likely to be held. No date has been set. The county, along the southern stretch of Georgia’s Atlantic coast, is majority white and conservative — “a defense friendly venue for this type of case,” said Esther Panitch, a criminal defense lawyer and legal analyst in Atlanta.

The prosecutors and defense have sparred, in competing motions, over whether Mr. Arbery should be allowed to be called a “victim” in the case; lawyers for the McMichaels have argued that it is a “prejudicial” term.

But it is the fate of two other motions that may prove to have a more serious impact on the eventual trial. In one, prosecutors have asked that evidence of what are described as past “racial” incidents involving the three defendants be included at trial, including Facebook posts and text messages.

In another motion, lawyers for the McMichaels have asked to allow Mr. Arbery’s criminal history to be introduced, including a conviction for bringing a handgun to a basketball game and another for trying to steal a television.

The motion, citing interviews with Mr. Arbery’s neighbors, claims that he tried to break into houses around his own home, .

Medical documents reviewed by The New York Times show that Mr. Arbery was diagnosed in late 2018 or early 2019 by health care professionals with schizoaffective disorder, and that he had told doctors he heard voices in his head that at times told him “to do wrong” and “to steal and rob.”

Mr. Arbery’s family believes that his criminal past should have no bearing on whether he should have been chased and killed, especially by people who were not active law enforcement, on the mere suspicion that he might have engaged in a property crime.

Last edited:
Mr. Arbery’s family believes that his criminal past should have no bearing on whether he should have been chased and killed, especially by people who were not active law enforcement, on the mere suspicion that he might have engaged in a property crime.

I agree with the family.

The men involved in the chase / murder did not know Arbery from Adam and had no idea of his criminal past or possible attempts at breaking into homes.

In the end, the men initiated the hyper vigilance for a possible trespasser (none of the men involved had the legal ability to determine if A was trespassing) and then chased him down with shotguns simply because of the way he looked.

I agree with the family.

The men involved in the chase / murder did not know Arbery from Adam and had no idea of his criminal past or possible attempts at breaking into homes.

In the end, the men initiated the hyper vigilance for a possible trespasser (none of the men involved had the legal ability to determine if A was trespassing) and then chased him down with shotguns simply because of the way he looked.

I've said before, and may be illegal but I'll say again. I too have gone into homes near me many years ago, and far from me that were under construction just to be a looky loo and see the floor plan and construction prior to buying a home in my early years.

Back 20 or so years ago, wasn't as illegal as today. But if one was going up in my hood, prior to being closed off... I think I might. Dunno, but it would be a calling to for me to do. Shame on me... not considering the legal reasons they must do such non trespassing due to safety reasons... but I did many times.

Progress towards the repeal of Georgia's archaic citizen's arrest law! Not done yet, but I'm so happy to see this advanced to the GA Senate.

House unanimously passes overhaul of Georgia citizen’s arrest law

"The Georgia House of Representatives voted unanimously on Monday to repeal a citizen’s arrest law predating the Civil War, acting little more than a year after the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man pursued by armed white men.

The House voted 173-0 for House Bill 479 after a debate weighted with Georgia’s white supremacist history. The unanimous vote left supporters elated. Republican Gov. Brian Kemp has endorsed the bill, which now goes to the Senate for more debate."

"The first outside prosecutor assigned to the [Arbery] case cited Georgia’s citizen arrest law in a letter to police in arguing the shooting was justified."

Progress towards the repeal of Georgia's archaic citizen's arrest law! Not done yet, but I'm so happy to see this advanced to the GA Senate.

House unanimously passes overhaul of Georgia citizen’s arrest law

"The Georgia House of Representatives voted unanimously on Monday to repeal a citizen’s arrest law predating the Civil War, acting little more than a year after the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man pursued by armed white men.

The House voted 173-0 for House Bill 479 after a debate weighted with Georgia’s white supremacist history. The unanimous vote left supporters elated. Republican Gov. Brian Kemp has endorsed the bill, which now goes to the Senate for more debate."

"The first outside prosecutor assigned to the [Arbery] case cited Georgia’s citizen arrest law in a letter to police in arguing the shooting was justified."

Unanimous in a state Senate these days and times... just WOW! That indeed is a shut down.

Attorney files several new motions in Ahmaud Arbery case | firstcoastnews.com

March 12, 2021
GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. — Potential jurors should be vaccinated and prosecutors should get to work, according to several motions filed this week in the case against three men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery.
[.....]
In one motion, the attorney for one of the three defendants, William Roddie Bryan, accused Georgia prosecutors of, “gilding the lily” and deliberately dragging out their investigation. He asked the judge to force them to wrap things up.
[.....]
Another court filing was in response to Bryan's previous motion to "Disqualify Prosecutor." The state denied this request stating that the defendant has failed to show any conflict of interest that would disqualify District Attorney Pro Tempore Flynn Broady.

@sds71 - just wondering if there is any updates in the court site? Nothing new? Their last hearing was 11/13/20.

I've said before, and may be illegal but I'll say again. I too have gone into homes near me many years ago, and far from me that were under construction just to be a looky loo and see the floor plan and construction prior to buying a home in my early years.

Back 20 or so years ago, wasn't as illegal as today. But if one was going up in my hood, prior to being closed off... I think I might. Dunno, but it would be a calling to for me to do. Shame on me... not considering the legal reasons they must do such non trespassing due to safety reasons... but I did many times.

Same - back in the early 2000's one of my best friends purchased a new construction home and I was considering moving into her development which was still being built. Once she moved into her home, whenever I would go to visit we would take a walk and go look at the houses under construction and if it looked like no one was there we would just go in - basically the houses were just wood at that point but you could see the layout. Only a handful of the houses were occupied and the "in progress" houses were far enough away that it wasn't likely someone would see us.

Today there are cameras everywhere so I don't think I would do that now, but back then it wasn't an issue, at least under those circumstances. Not sure if it would have occurred to AA that there may be cameras.

Attorney files several new motions in Ahmaud Arbery case | firstcoastnews.com

March 12, 2021
GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. — Potential jurors should be vaccinated and prosecutors should get to work, according to several motions filed this week in the case against three men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery.
[.....]
In one motion, the attorney for one of the three defendants, William Roddie Bryan, accused Georgia prosecutors of, “gilding the lily” and deliberately dragging out their investigation. He asked the judge to force them to wrap things up.
[.....]
Another court filing was in response to Bryan's previous motion to "Disqualify Prosecutor." The state denied this request stating that the defendant has failed to show any conflict of interest that would disqualify District Attorney Pro Tempore Flynn Broady.

@sds71 - just wondering if there is any updates in the court site? Nothing new? Their last hearing was 11/13/20.

nothing new except the motions from WRB’s attorney.

2. If the trial of this case is scheduled to commence by the end of May, as suggested in a
previously led motion, there are but one or two evidentiary motions to be heard between all three defendants that cannot be addressed by hearings conducted by video.
https://www.glynncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/70098/Motion-to-Compel-Issuance

What are the next steps?
No additional hearings are scheduled just yet. In late January, Judge Walmsley informed both sides that no further in-person proceedings would take place until the public health emergency has subsided, so additional hearings will only occur if both sides agree they can happen via video.
Where Does The Ahmaud Arbery Case Stand Now? | 90.1 FM WABE

nothing new except the motions from WRB’s attorney.

2. If the trial of this case is scheduled to commence by the end of May, as suggested in a
previously led motion, there are but one or two evidentiary motions to be heard between all three defendants that cannot be addressed by hearings conducted by video.
https://www.glynncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/70098/Motion-to-Compel-Issuance

What are the next steps?
No additional hearings are scheduled just yet. In late January, Judge Walmsley informed both sides that no further in-person proceedings would take place until the public health emergency has subsided, so additional hearings will only occur if both sides agree they can happen via video.
Where Does The Ahmaud Arbery Case Stand Now? | 90.1 FM WABE

...........and so we wait for justice. Here at WS.. we wait.. as we do for so many cases.

FWIW, I do love that this site has a "breaking news" thread for which I assume most all here subscribe to... so that when slow cases come back after years of a lull.. WS'ers are back on the cases vs. being forgotten and ensure that happens by doing a batcall on that below link/thread re "breaking news".

Here is the link for such to subscribe and follow and post to for those interested as it's helped me soooooooooo many times to catch what had fallen off my list and notifications due to new threads etc.

And of course, following @Niner posts/threads re monthly compilation/updates on trials. Wow! Thank you so much Niner for all that you contribute for us here!

***BREAKING NEWS!*** *NO DISCUSSION*

MOO.

Last edited:
dixiegirl1035 said:
snipped...
And of course, following @Niner posts/threads re monthly compilation/updates on trials. Wow! Thank you so much Niner for all that you contribute for us here!

You are quite welcome! :) Just doing my contributions to WS!
animated-smileys-computer-11.gif

Judge denies motion to dismiss Cobb DA from Arbery case

March 19, 2021
—Eastern Judicial Circuit Judge William Walmsley has flatly denied a defense attorney's motion claiming the Cobb County district attorney is biased against his client in the murder case of Ahmaud Arbery.

In a motion filed March 1, attorney Kevin Gough requested that newly-elected Cobb DA Flynn Broady step down from the case against William "Roddie" Bryan, the man who videotaped the February 2020 shooting death for which he stands accused of murder. Bryan is charged with felony murder, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and other charges, along with father-and-son co-defendants Gregory McMichael and Travis McMicheal.

A lot more in article.

Just received this article in my alerts - but no access to it over here in the EU - stupid rules - and Outline is not giving me anything. If someone could give a 10% synopsis of it - and if it has an May date - please post that! :)

Hearing in Arbery murder trial set for May

TIA!

Hearings in the trial of the three defendants in the February 2020 shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery are scheduled for May 12-13 in Glynn County Superior Court, according to the county clerk’s office.

The hearings will begin at 10 a.m. each day at the courthouse, 710 H St. in Brunswick, with Eastern Judicial Circuit Judge Timothy R. Walmsley of Savannah presiding…

Walmsley is a Chatham County Superior Court judge. The case is being prosecuted by the Cobb County DA’s office…
Glynn County Superior Court judges also recused themselves from the case.

Matters scheduled to be discussed over the two-day hearings include: Bryan’s omnibus motion for fair trial; a McMichael defendant’s notice of intent to introduce evidence; the state’s motion to address Arbery’s character outside of a jury’s presence; and defense attorneys’ motion to exclude defendants’ jail calls from trial.

Georgia lawmakers took another step Monday to repeal a citizen’s arrest law predating the Civil War, acting little more than a year after the fatal shooting of [URL='https://www.news4jax.com/topic/ahmaud_arbery/']Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man pursued by armed white men.

The Senate voted 52-1 for House Bill 479, which would end the right of people in Georgia to make an arrest if a crime is committed in the person’s presence “or within their immediate knowledge.”

Sen. Bill Cowsert, an Athens Republican, gave an explanation that focused on what police officers, business owners and individual citizens could still do to detain. But he said the measure made one key change.

“You can’t use deadly force to stop somebody if you think they might have stolen a TV from somebody’s house down the street, because sometimes this leads to consequences that aren’t intended when citizens try to play police officer, not being trained and not having the full picture,” Cowsert said.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia/2021/03/30/georgia-nears-limiting-citizen-arrests-after-shooting-death-of-ahmaud-arbery/[/URL]

Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael and William “Roddie” Bryan, all facing felony murder charges in Arbery’s death, will appear virtually before a judge in May to discuss several motions filed by defense attorneys.

Among the motions to be discussed include calls to disqualify the prosecutor and introducing evidence that defense attorneys say shows Arbery used jogging as a cover to commit crimes. Family and friends say Arbery often jogged as a form of therapy.

Defense attorneys want to exclude all jail calls from trial—calls in which Greg McMichael called the shooting a "good deed"—and produce all potentially exculpatory evidence in the case.

Ahmaud Arbery's accused killers have hearings scheduled | firstcoastnews.com

The hearing is scheduled for May 12 and May 13 starting at 10:00 a.m. in the Glynn County Courthouse.

A trial date has not been set, although the Georgia Supreme Court announced this month that jury trials can resume.

Atlanta attorney joins in defense of murder defendant

An Atlanta attorney has joined in the defense of William "Roddie" Bryan, one of three men accused of murder in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery on Feb. 23, 2020, in the Satilla Shores neighborhood.

Attorney Jessica Burton filed a motion Friday in Glynn County Superior Court stating her intention to represent Bryan "as additional counsel" in the case.

She joins local attorney Kevin Gough, who has represented Bryan since his arrest last May on charges that include felony murder and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Gough issued a brief statement Wednesday stating Burton had joined the defense.

"I am pleased to announce the addition of Jessica Burton, an associate with Atlanta's Bernard & Jonson, LLC, to the defense team for William 'Roddie' Bryan," Gough said in the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans