Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is means tested in some way but the more serious the case the more likely they are to qualify regardless of income I believe (could be really wrong on that though). I think the vast majority of people would not be able to pay for their defence in a high profile murder case but they all seem to have a QC so I suspect they all get it?
Work out who qualifies for criminal legal aid

The article states he finished 'earlier' that day. It does not state he finished 'early.' His shift ended at 7am on March 3rd - This has been widely publicised. There has been no indication that he did not finish this shift.

So yep, Scottish reporting is giving a little more info, he finished early....

Opens up even more options

Unlikely for WC to have chosen him.
Barristers/QCs work on the taxi for hire principle. Next one up gets the job. I will try and re find the article someone posted on another case, it's a useful read.

This is not right , you can choose who to instruct to act for you.

So yep, Scottish reporting is giving a little more info, he finished early....

Opens up even more options

That's not what it says. It says he "had finished a shift earlier on the morning of March 3 and was not on duty at the time of Ms Everard’s disappearance."

No difference to previous reports since Saturday when the timeline was given in court. He was working the nightshift ending in the morning of 3 March and that's all we know, despite lots of previous reporting that he had worked during the daytime on 3 March.

To clarify, the phrase 'earlier' in the day or along those lines does not mean finishing something 'earlier' than expected, it just means, for example, finishing a shift at 7am and doing something at 9pm would mean you finished work 'earlier that day.'

It has been widely publicised that WC finished his 7am shift on the morning of March 3rd.

Police officer accused of Sarah Everard murder appears in court

Police officer accused of Sarah Everard murder appears in court

"Couzens, who worked on the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command unit, had finished a shift earlier on the morning of March 3 and was not on duty at the time of Ms Everard’s disappearance."

I expect that where he was during the day and first part of the evening in 3rd will be an active line of investigation, and we won't hear any more about it until the trial. Unless the police get permission from the judge to make a public appeal to further those enquiries

JMO

I know absolutely nothing about Lawyers/Solicitors/Barristers, but this guy seems expensive? Or was I easily impressed by that website
Legal aid will likely be granted to the defendant. Cost of barrister is irrelevant and justice is not served if access to justice is limited to those with means.

In a criminal case such as this both prosecuting and defence barristers will likely be elected via “cab rank” ie allocated on the basis of who is available. UK legal experts, correct me if I am wrong, but barristers cannot refuse cases brought to them (unless they are asked by a defendant to put forward a case they know to be untruthful). For a high profile case such as this, then top criminal barristers (ie a QC) will be leading the cases. The general public just don’t have our own “criminal lawyers” in our phone book, nor are they selected via a phone book. Not meaning to be flippant - just that our adversarial system in a high profile case such as this ensures best access to representation (also ensures we don’t get mistrials on the basis of poor legal argument that could be appealed at a later date).

ETA: he would likely be granted immediate legal representation upon arrest. This would be a solicitor. The solicitor in this instance would then apply to appropriate chambers to ensure appropriate barrister - in our legal system, the solicitor acts first and provides legal support etc, but the barrister would be the one who argues the case in court. Distinct roles - but working closely together to put together the evidence/case for the defence. In the prosecution it is the CPS who appoint their own prosecuting barrister in court. I note the initial CPS prosecutor Zoe Martin in the Magistrates court has now been replaced with Tom Little QC for the Crown Court.

Last edited:
Interesting on the choice of barrister - is it usual for a QC be appointed if you had legal aid? Or would this be a choice of the accused?

‘He has acted in more than 50 murders in his career as a junior and as a leader, with issues ranging from diminished responsibility, insanity, provocation and self defence as well as a denial of any responsibility whatsoever.’

Homicide
I’m not sure how barristers are allocated, but perhaps he offered his services given how high profile it is, good publicity for him even if found guilty.

Interesting on the choice of barrister - is it usual for a QC be appointed if you had legal aid? Or would this be a choice of the accused?

‘He has acted in more than 50 murders in his career as a junior and as a leader, with issues ranging from diminished responsibility, insanity, provocation and self defence as well as a denial of any responsibility whatsoever.’

https://www.jimsturmanqc.com/top-qc...-qc/homicide-murder-manslughter-barrister-qc/

If you look at some of his cases, I think WS and MSM need to be careful as I can bet Contempt of Court is something that is going to be heavily looked into by the suspect's QC/defence team, although I like to think with such a high profile case and the evidence they already have, there won't be room for the suspect to get away with anything but the toughest sentence, unless they can prove suspect is insane.

Yeh I think I made it up Blance :D:D.

Will delete my clearly inaccurate previous post.

Edited to add - maybe I wasn't, going to look further!

He would qualify on the merit test but would he have to satisfy the means test as well as?

yes he will pass the merits test than be assessed on the means test, the BBC repprt says he has applied for legal aid which is being processed so presumably his solicitors have worked out that he will qualify albeit perhaps with a contribution from his income i would have thought.

Legal aid will likely be granted to the defendant. Cost of barrister is irrelevant and justice is not served if access to justice is limited to those with means.

In a criminal case such as this both prosecuting and defence barristers will likely be elected via “cab rank” ie allocated on the basis of who is available. UK legal experts, correct me if I am wrong, but barristers cannot refuse cases brought to them (unless they are asked by a defendant to put forward a case they know to be untruthful). For a high profile case such as this, then top criminal barristers (ie a QC) will be leading the cases. The general public just don’t have our own “criminal lawyers” in our phone book, nor are they selected via a phone book. Not meaning to be flippant - just that our adversarial system in a high profile case such as this ensures best access to representation (also ensures we don’t get mistrials on the basis of poor legal argument that could be appealed at a later date).

Thank you for that, I'm starting to understand it now. Does that mean one could be "lucky" and get someone like Phillippe Sands (if the case was in his area of expertise) on legal aid? Or another proven legal representative who is internationally recognised as a leader in their field?

I’m not sure how barristers are allocated, but perhaps he offered his services given how high profile it is, good publicity for him even if found guilty.

his solicitor would have instructed the barrister, maybe he had already worked with him or knew he had a good reputation etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong