Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I believe you're right. He shouldn't have bothered. It was only ever going to provide ammunition for people to use one way or another, to be interpreted in numerous different ways. Searches are to resume as soon as possible and that is a great thing .The police are conducting an investigation which is also a good thing. This covers every angle and every option that still remains on the table. I really hope that there is a resolution for family and even for those of us who care about Esther, despite never meeting her.
In terms of the motivation for the dossier, I don't believe it was to stop speculation or even to solely appeal for the public's help. To me it seems more of an attempt to control the narrative around Esther's disappearance. As SMM points out, the one glaringly obvious thing the dossier leaves out is the possibility of suicide and I agree with SMM that the pain of losing Esther is so great for DC that a way of coping is to romanticise their relationship and this includes making sure the world knows that from his point of view she was completely happy in their life together.

I mean no disrespect to DC in this comment, but releasing the dossier whose contents seem at odds with how Esther was conducting herself online and in real life, has meant that people are more focussed on trying to solve the mystery of her disappearance than they would be if only the facts as reported in news articles were available - as the discrepancies have drawn people into wondering why this control of the narrative surrounding Esther and her image is being sought so overtly.

The dossier was factual and well written and its intention was not to control the narrative around the disappearance. It gave us some of new information and cleared some things up. They have both spent a great deal of time together hiking, so I happen to take DC's opinion on ED seriously. He knows her best. People are free to draw their own conclusions.

The dossier was factual and well written and its intention was not to control the narrative around the disappearance. It gave us some of new information and cleared some things up. They have both spent a great deal of time together hiking, so I happen to take DC's opinion on ED seriously. He knows her best. People are free to draw their own conclusions.

I agree, yet the dossier is being used by some to imply, in a subtle way, blame on the part of DC. It would be ridiculous to expect an entire transcriptions of private messages to be included (they have no doubt been passed to LE) so it is equally ludicrous to make inferences based on what is not included. MOO.

I agree, yet the dossier is being used by some to imply, in a subtle way, blame on the part of DC. It would be ridiculous to expect an entire transcriptions of private messages to be included (they have no doubt been passed to LE) so it is equally ludicrous to make inferences based on what is not included. MOO.
You can't believe anything on the internet,... everything is a story, an opinion, a narative people want to project, this is an example Woman warns of dangers of sexual harassment as a solo female traveller | Daily Mail Online (no shower or toilet, really? )How does she do the photoshoots living like that? Because she DOESN'T, it's all a fantasy. Perhaps DC and ED weren't as fansiful, but it's still all JUST for public consumption. DC is trying to protect that. Future books etc. He is doing what we would all do, if we were is such an awful situation. We need to concentrate on finding ED, and leave partners/family alone. He has a RIGHT to HIS privacy. He didn't ask for this to happen, and the poor chat will never be free of this until we find ED. Which we are here to do on this forum. Please please just try to work with the facts and hopefully we can all get closer to finding what happened to ED.

An other article in a French newspaper from March 15, but there doesn't seem to be any new information. DC believes that it's a kidnapping, rather than an accident, and he's going back to look for her as soon as the weather permits.
Pyrénées. Randonneuse disparue depuis quatre mois : le compagnon d'Esther Dingley croit à un enlèvement | Actu Toulouse

If Dan is “going back to look for her” , he must be accepting the fact that she had an accident and is deceased....because it’s hard to imagine he could mean that he would be searching for a kidnapping victim.

If Dan is “going back to look for her” , he must be accepting the fact that she had an accident and is deceased....because it’s hard to imagine he could mean that he would be searching for a kidnapping victim.

Maybe the fact it's been so long now and there have been no signs of life, sightings or information (that we know of) he has come to terms with the fact she has most likely had an accident after all :( Otherwise as you say, it's quite a contradiction

I guess he has to consider both possibilities, and he CAN search the mountains but CAN'T really hunt down a suspect. So he'll be doing what he can within his abilities, just like many others would in the same situation, desperate to do SOMETHING , ANYTHING to feel you are progressing towards a solution. He is probably now planning EVERY route to do in the area, I would !!! most definitely, planning to hike for months across the area, cris-crossing all routes, in desperation for an answer driving me forward. And, ironically, he'll write a book about it,... I would, the pain of the search, which not only serves as being therapeutic for the writer, but satisfies the appetites of those who like to read about others pain, and feel how lucky they are not to have been going through the horror that he is. And it is HORROR,... I can't imagine just 'loosing' by partner of 20 years. My partner and I also have no children and are as close as ED + DC were, doing almost everything just together,.. it would absolutely kill me inside... which is why, personally I would like to help DC with his search over the summer in someway, if only carrying on keeping her case open on here of perhaps on a new find Esther Facebook page?

I guess he has to consider both possibilities, and he CAN search the mountains but CAN'T really hunt down a suspect. So he'll be doing what he can within his abilities, just like many others would in the same situation, desperate to do SOMETHING , ANYTHING to feel you are progressing towards a solution. He is probably now planning EVERY route to do in the area, I would !!! most definitely, planning to hike for months across the area, cris-crossing all routes, in desperation for an answer driving me forward. And, ironically, he'll write a book about it,... I would, the pain of the search, which not only serves as being therapeutic for the writer, but satisfies the appetites of those who like to read about others pain, and feel how lucky they are not to have been going through the horror that he is. And it is HORROR,... I can't imagine just 'loosing' by partner of 20 years. My partner and I also have no children and are as close as ED + DC were, doing almost everything just together,.. it would absolutely kill me inside... which is why, personally I would like to help DC with his search over the summer in someway, if only carrying on keeping her case open on here of perhaps on a new find Esther Facebook page?

Your sentiment of wanting to help is something, emotionally, I’m sure we all share. The problem is how?

ED has been searched for by teams of some of the worlds finest professionals and by Dan himself, with no results yet. That method of ‘helping’ is best done by professionals,who have the skills and know the terrain.

Searches will resume when weather improves.

Maybe they will find her. Maybe she is far from the area they previously searched. If so, not sure, if she will ever be found. I believe one way of “helping Dan” is to question whether everything ED told him was accurate. Not to demean Esther or doubt Dan’s word, but to see whether she might have had other plans that she wasn’t sharing with Dan that could have ended in this disappearance.

If ED remains missing, IMO, there’s just no place to start looking for Esther, whether she’s alive and happy...or a captive. Why? Because IMO, we really have no idea where she went after that last communication on the Pic. We know very little of what she was feeling or thinking in those last weeks...much less how she was spending her time or with whom.

IMO, looking at her posts vs Dan’s timeline...there are many blanks to fill in. We know what ED told DC she was doing...but in the context of a possible voluntary disappearance, we really can’t rely on the accuracy of her statements. They may be 100% truthful or they may be a diversion while she formulated a plan other than coming home.

When was the search for ED stopped due to the weather/snowfall? Was the search in November/December more of a rescue search, that they hoped to find ED alive? How much time did the searchers, and DC, have to look for clues if something nefarious had happened to ED before the weather changed? Perhaps DC is hoping to find some proof that ED didn't disappeared voluntarily, something she had dropped, I would guess he would be familiar with the items she were carrying. Also, being where she was seen last, it's possible he could figure out where she might have gone is she had made a sudden, spontaneous last- minute change where to go.

When was the search for ED stopped due to the weather/snowfall? Was the search in November/December more of a rescue search, that they hoped to find ED alive? How much time did the searchers, and DC, have to look for clues if something nefarious had happened to ED before the weather changed? Perhaps DC is hoping to find some proof that ED didn't disappeared voluntarily, something she had dropped, I would guess he would be familiar with the items she were carrying. Also, being where she was seen last, it's possible he could figure out where she might have gone is she had made a sudden, spontaneous last- minute change where to go.

From Dan’s dossier:

The search for Esther commenced at first light on Thursday 26th November, the morning after she was due to return to the motorhome in Benasque, with search teams deployed in both France and Spain, some walking with dogs and some in helicopters flying over the area. These are highly trained, highly proficient experts who have been working in this specific area of the mountains for many years. They know the terrain and locations that are likely to cause difficult for hikers.

For the first two days of the search, visibility on Pic de Sauvegarde was hampered slightly by a light dusting of snow and some cloud, although nothing that prevented the search teams ascending the routes from both sides of the mountain and the helicopters could still see most of the mountainside.
From Saturday 27th – Tuesday 1st December, the sunny weather returned, the light dusting of snow mostly melted and visibility was excellent. In addition to continued search teams retracing Esther’s planned route and other nearby trails, helicopter search teams continued to fly up and down the slopes.

The Spanish police also spent a day scanning the slopes of Pic de Sauvegarde with high powered telescopes from the opposite side of the valley. At times literally dozens of search and rescue personnel were walking the trails looking for any trace of Esther or her equipment.

The focus of the search was Esther’s last known location, planned route and nearby alternatives, with searchers sweeping back and forth over the hillside away from the trails, literally looking under large rocks and descending into crevices in the landscape.

In addition to this immediate area, as the map below indicates, trails in a very wide surrounding area were also walked. For more distant trails, search teams on the ground were flown in with helicopters. Water bottles and a pair of gloves were found, indicating the closeness of the search, but nothing belonging to Esther.

Esther’s partner Dan, was in close communication with both the French and Spanish search teams on a daily basis, providing information on Esther’s preferences, ability, hiking pace and communication habits. He also walked and searched the hillsides around all of the trails in the immediate area of Esther’s last known location on the French side (walking alone so he could continue outside of standard SAR hours).
On Wednesday 2nd December heavy snow began to fall in the area...snip

Nothing that ED had dropped was found in this intensive, very professional and massive search. Dan offers a very complete list of Esther’s clothing and gear...nothing was found.

Dan also tells us that he spent 2 nights at the Refuge and found no trace there of Esther.

Months have gone by now...what evidence pertinent to a crime in the wilderness could he possibly find? Snowstorms, winds, animals, etc have m0ved through the terrain. Even if he found something, it could be far now from where it was originally placed. What type of crime scene or indication of a crime might exist waiting to be found in the wilderness?

If he truly believes she’s been abducted, IMO he could be visiting mountain towns and villages now...showing her picture, talking to locals, looking for information, similar crimes, etc. This need not wait till Spring. If she’s been abducted she’s not being held at the top of a Pic or in a tent by the glacier.

The fact the Dan remains at their housesit, tells me that he does accept on some level that ED is deceased. He will return to the mountains in Spring to look for her remains...for a merciful closure.

Since this may seem counter-intuitive when discussing searches, I thought I'd post standard operating protocol for SAR teams, as it will also apply to SAR/LE in the Pyrenees. This one was related to another missing hiker, Narineh Avakian, in the US, just last week.
Narineh Avakian: Missing California woman who went on a one-day hike was found dead in the mountains, police say - CNN

This is LE's Facebook statement: Facebook

Quote:
***A large contingent of search and rescue teams are currently deployed throughout the area and are actively searching for Narineh. While these official search efforts are underway, members of the public are highly discouraged from responding to the area and conducting independent search efforts***

The night before Esther disappeared, she was at the Cabane. Dan did not know where she was until the next afternoon because, supposedly, she was out of contact with him due to lack of Internet accessibility. Supposedly she had no signal anywhere she went in those 24+ hours.

This brings up another problem. If Esther had an accident or encountered a dangerous individual, when and where did this happen? Was it soon after descending the Pic...or that night at the Refuge...or the next day...or night...or day after that?

Knowing that she soon had to return to France and a winter of lockdown, was Esther totally immersed in the moment, in enjoying the wilderness she would soon have to leave? Maybe she was avoiding ‘checking in?” Dan did say that sometimes it could be days before he heard from her. Add in 2-3 days hiking and think how vast an area that covers! What little towns she might have “dipped into.”

Dan is a very intelligent man. He knows all this. He knows he is not setting off in the Spring to rescue Esther from her kidnappers. Personally, if she is found, I hope it’s by the professionals, to spare him that trauma. That wonderful smiling picture of Esther at the Pic would be a far more comforting last memory of the woman he loved.

Looks like a heavy snowfall in the Banasque area this evening. From the webcam looking towards the Hotel Hospital de Banasque, you can barely see the snowy terrain in the distance behind the snow covered lens. Below is the link to the webcam and a still shot I just snipped since it is getting dark there now.

The hotel sits near a trail ED likely took 21/11 after Ballarin dropped her at the trail head parking lot, as discussed at length here previously.

Webcam: https://www.llanosdelhospital.es/webcam1.jpg

Hotel de Banasque Webcam Still Shot_19032021 at 8pm.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members