GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

I wonder if he killed himself.

and they have kept that under cover for over 8 hours? I doubt in such a high profile case especially. Do you in your area have history/ find that LE keeps such from media for that length of time?

I have found, especially in very high profile cases when in custody, and affects trial especially, it is very quick... and never heard of over 8 hours not said.

It's possible to have complicated motives - not just one cookie-cutter explanation why a criminal chose to commit a crime.

The guy could be messed about sex issues AND race issues....and maybe other issues too. We don't have to pick one motivation and exclude all others because they aren't The One Reason.

jmo

Well said.

Misogyny, racism, mental illness, warped world-view about sexuality, frustration, religious guilt, sex addiction, injustice collector - some or all of the above could be in the cocktail of motives and drivers of this individual.

It's typical for media to give a lot of attention to the killer and his motives to humanize him. I just wish they would give equal time and space to the victims. My heart goes out to them and their loved ones. Can't imagine the fear and terror they felt.

Regardless, I’m much more concerned about the reaction by a LE leader to this mass murder and his motives behind his casual remarks about the massacre. That’s where I see the real problem. The ethnic origin of the majority of victims and of the murderer seem to have caused empathy toward the defendant and apathy toward the victims and their families. “Well, he was having a bad day. And this is what he did.”

Just awful, to have LE so confidently and causally downplay the actions of a monster.

Agree, his remarks were shocking to read. You know better than any of us that these remarks can have an unfair impact on public opinion and the potential pool of jurors.

Agree, his remarks were shocking to read. You know better than any of us that these remarks can have an unfair impact on public opinion and the potential pool of jurors.

I had to look up the area as I was thinking the same exact place and/or demographics as the area of Margorie Taylor Green where the first shooting happened... rural county right next to it appears. The second two shootings happened in Metro Atlanta with much different demographics from what I can see. MOO

Ergo, the differences in the pressers? They seemed polar MOO. O

What is unfortunate, he may represent the beliefs of his locality. That was one reason I was asking @gitana1 and other attys as to combining the cases.

This seems like the best option, get Cpt Baker and Georgia LE off of the case and get into the hands of the FBI

Seoul's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday that four of those killed in the attacks were of Korean descent, The Korea Herald reports.

The group Stop AAPI Hate tracked 3,795 "hate incidents" against the Asian American community between last March and the end of Feb. 2021, according to a report released Tuesday.

Delaina Yaun, 33, of Acworth, Ga.

Paul Andre Michels, 54, of Atlanta

Xiaojie Tan, 49, of Kennesaw, Ga.

Elcias R. Hernandez-Ortiz, 30, of Acworth, Ga.
What We Know About The Victims Of The Atlanta-Area Shootings

"I am making no connection at this moment of the motivation of the killer. I am waiting for an answer from — as the investigation proceeds — from the FBI and from the Justice Department," he said before hosting a bilateral meeting with the prime minister of Ireland. "I'll have more to say when the investigation is completed." 

Biden has ordered flags flown at half-staff through March 22 to honor the victims. He and Vice President Kamala Harris are scheduled to travel to Atlanta on Friday to meet with Asian American leaders.
First Court Appearance Canceled for Suspected Atlanta Massage Parlor Killer

On Thursday, Georgia's five Asian-American state lawmakerscalled out the shootings as being part of a broader rise in hatred toward Asian-Americans, while U.S. Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) said of the sex addiction motive Wednesday, "Having one possible motive does not negate other motives."
Spa Shooting Suspect ‘Did Frequent’ Atlanta Locations, Police Say

Last edited:
Well said.

Misogyny, racism, mental illness, warped world-view about sexuality, frustration, religious guilt, sex addiction, injustice collector - some or all of the above could be in the cocktail of motives and drivers of this individual.

It's typical for media to give a lot of attention to the killer and his motives to humanize him. I just wish they would give equal time and space to the victims. My heart goes out to them and their loved ones. Can't imagine the fear and terror they felt.

I know! I mean there was an article all about what a good, religious guy this creep was. And yet I don’t know one name of any victim.

“I can say that he had frequented both of those locations,” deputy police Chief Charles Hampton Jr. said at a news conference Thursday. “Unfortunately, they were at that location. I can’t say that he specifically targeted those individuals. He did frequent those two locations.”

The suspect, Robert Aaron Long, was arrested in South Georgia on Tuesday night. The 21-year-old from Woodstock has been charged with eight counts of murder and one count of aggravated assault.

“I was hoping we would be able to release the names of the victims, but we are not able to do that at this time,” Hampton said. “We need to make sure we have a true verification of their identities and that we make a proper next of kin notification.”

The four Atlanta victims, all of whom were Asian women, were killed by Long during a shooting spree that began at an Acworth-area spa in Cherokee County about 5 p.m. and ended inside two similar businesses on Piedmont Road, investigators said. Atlanta police said they are working with the Korean Consulate to accurately ID their four victims.
Spa shooting suspect had visited Atlanta locations before, police say

"I am making no connection at this moment of the motivation of the killer. I am waiting for an answer from — as the investigation proceeds — from the FBI and from the Justice Department," he said before hosting a bilateral meeting with the prime minister of Ireland. "I'll have more to say when the investigation is completed." 

Biden has ordered flags flown at half-staff through March 22 to honor the victims. He and Vice President Kamala Harris are scheduled to travel to Atlanta on Friday to meet with Asian American leaders.
First Court Appearance Canceled for Suspected Atlanta Massage Parlor Killer

On Thursday, Georgia's five Asian-American state lawmakerscalled out the shootings as being part of a broader rise in hatred toward Asian-Americans, while U.S. Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) said of the sex addiction motive Wednesday, "Having one possible motive does not negate other motives."
Spa Shooting Suspect ‘Did Frequent’ Atlanta Locations, Police Say

As it should be. Geez. To just confidently assert the motivation of the killer without even concluding the investigation, is irresponsible. He could’ve said, if he wanted to reveal information, “the accused SAID it wasn’t about racial hatred, but was a different motivation. We are investigating.”

Tran Wills couldn’t talk Wednesday about the shootings at Atlanta spas a day earlier without breaking down sobbing.

“I saw myself in these women,” she said. “I feel I have been screaming about hate crimes and violence against Asian Americans from the beginning of the pandemic, and no one was listening.”

“The alarm has been raised in our community, and it’s louder,” said Charles Yoon, president of the Korean American Association of Greater New York. “What’s happening now is a systemic crisis engendered by xenophobia. Asians are being perceived as ‘other’ but we are Americans.”
'No one was listening.' Asian business owners react to Atlanta shootings - KTVZ

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20