US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would an attorney advise him on refusing the search? "Constitutional rights", while his gf is missing? GMAB, and for 12 days already? Boat could have indications of why Sarm may have left, that Bane missed. His "constitutional rights" demand only makes him look more suspicious. That in turn could stop people from searching the waters and land for a woman that may be alive and in trouble. Why wouldn't he want all the help he could have?

Is she on the boat? Do 47 ft cats have a freezer...especially since this is a charter boat for groups of guests?

I am almost positive that his vessel has now been thoroughly 'cleaned' by a professional crew since his last guests left. (while refusing a search) How convenient is that?

His "constitutional rights" demand only makes him look more suspicious.
<snipped for focus>

I think that too, but I wondered if I was looking at it from too much of a UK perspective. Would "say nothing, permit nothing" be pretty standard legal advice in the US, especially in a jurisdiction you don't entirely trust not to stitch you up?

JMO

Why would an attorney advise him on refusing the search? "Constitutional rights", while his gf is missing? GMAB, and for 12 days already? Boat could have indications of why Sarm may have left, that Bane missed. His "constitutional rights" demand only makes him look more suspicious. That in turn could stop people from searching the waters and land for a woman that may be alive and in trouble. Why wouldn't he want all the help he could have?

Is she on the boat? Do 47 ft cats have a freezer...especially since this is a charter boat for groups of guests?
The police don't need his permission to search if they would get a warrant.

jmo

Police would need probable cause though, I'd think.
Of course, but it seems like a woman disappearing off a boat would be probable cause to look for evidence where she lived and was last seen alive. Right? Believing everything the boyfriend says doesn't seem like good investigating.

So odd.

jmo

Crime rates are higher than average in USVI, in fact, I believe it has one of the highest rates for murder and homicide in the world, and there have also been reports of corruption :(

If I was in RB's situation, I would probably also seek legal counsel fairly quickly, especially if I was concerned about corruption or foul play, or was not resident / known in the community.

Nothing is making sense. Let's say a boat came by and hailed Sarm to go somewhere to a "party." No one on any other boat moored in the same area noticed this boat cruising through. The witness (per msm) saw and heard nothing throughout the night, no anchor alarm, no commotion of Bane searching for Sarm, nothing.

We only have Bane's statement that they returned to the boat at 10 pm. Only Bane says an anchor alarm went off at 2 am. Searches of the water came up empty.

IMO what's left is Sarm could be on land somewhere in the area. Nearly two weeks in and no word from her, with no ID, passport, cell phone or money. So what, she somehow "fled" to St. Thomas, as a ghost on the ferry and chooses to stay invisible even though it's totally against her prior behavior? She ignores the pleas of her parents who are begging USVI LE to search Bane's boat.

Let's say she ran off without any personal belongings in order to escape Bane. Why? Why not come forward?

No, something's wrong. MOO.
Surely she'd wake up her new boyfriend/boss/landlord to let him know she was leaving, or leave a note. It's not a 'friend' relationship where you each do your own thing.

The exception would be if they had a big fight, so she escaped. But he's not mentioning any big fight, and she'd be in touch with family and friends. I imagine a fight could be heard across water, though maybe he has a soundproof cabin.

IMO, he wasn't married to her, they didn't have children together, he didn't need her money, they'd only been back together for a couple of weeks. He could easily decide to end it and just tell her, there was no reason to kill her unless he was into sexual sadism that went in that direction. Or, a fight that got out of hand. Their behaviour towards each other at the restaurant would be significant evidence, I think.

JMO

Of course, but it seems like a woman disappearing off a boat would be probable cause to look for evidence where she lived and was last seen alive. Right? Believing everything the boyfriend says doesn't seem like good investigating.

So odd.

jmo
You'd think so, right? Yet in an article I linked upthread the USVI LE said they would have to present probable cause to the court in order to secure a search warrant. What the heck?

USVI police spokesman Toby Derima added: "We would need to get a warrant to search the boat. We would need to show the court that we had probable cause to search the boat, as this is not yet a criminal case.

"We thought we could just ask Mr Bane to search the boat and he would say yes and he didn't. That is his right. Getting the search warrant would be the next step, however we are still searching, doing regular inspections of the areas and speaking to potential witnesses."
Sarm Heslop's boyfriend refusing to allow search of yacht from where she disappeared, police say

The Coast Guard search was likely a cursory one where they were looking for Sarm (or a body) concealed somewhere on the boat. That's way different from a forensic search where LE would use Luminal and check for fingerprints and other possible evidence. I'm pretty sure LE would have adequate probable cause here on the mainland.

So in terms of strategy *IF* someone had something to hide a CG search would be better for them. And while I disagree I grudgingly admit that *IF* there is corruption in local LE then yeah, getting a lawyer and closing up shop is the best move - for Ryan Bane, not so much for Sarm. MOO.

A quick Google search on LE corruption in the USVI does reveal some upsetting hits. How that would tie into this case is unknown.

You'd think so, right? Yet in an article I linked upthread the USVI LE said they would have to present probable cause to the court in order to secure a search warrant. What the heck?

USVI police spokesman Toby Derima added: "We would need to get a warrant to search the boat. We would need to show the court that we had probable cause to search the boat, as this is not yet a criminal case.

"We thought we could just ask Mr Bane to search the boat and he would say yes and he didn't. That is his right. Getting the search warrant would be the next step, however we are still searching, doing regular inspections of the areas and speaking to potential witnesses."
Sarm Heslop's boyfriend refusing to allow search of yacht from where she disappeared, police say

The Coast Guard search was likely a cursory one where they were looking for Sarm (or a body) concealed somewhere on the boat. That's way different from a forensic search where LE would use Luminal and check for fingerprints and other possible evidence. I'm pretty sure LE would have adequate probable cause here on the mainland.

So in terms of strategy *IF* someone had something to hide a CG search would be better for them. And while I disagree I grudgingly admit that *IF* there is corruption in local LE then yeah, getting a lawyer and closing up shop is the best move - for Ryan Bane, not so much for Sarm. MOO.

A quick Google search on LE corruption in the USVI does reveal some upsetting hits. How that would tie into this case is unknown.
Seems like they are stalling until so much time passes, the problem just fades away.

jmo

This is all making me feel a little uncomfortable. It is hard to see how this will play out, especially given we know so little.

If local authority corruption or similar is a serious possibility, and we combine that with any other possible bias or discrimination, such as xenophobia or racism (not accusing anyone of this, simply exploring it as an idea) then you can imagine an innocent in this situation is going to avoid any possible scenario in which false evidence might be discreetly planted in order to resolve a case quickly, keep USVI out of the limelight, or keep up the region's tourism profile.

If an individual HAD had an accident of some description which inadvertently led to an unfortunate or tragic outcome for SH, and the context was as I've alluded to above, then that is even more reason to protect oneself at the earliest opportunity while working out a plan to deal with the situation, all awhile seeking relevant legal advice.

If an individual had brought harm to SH WITH INTENT (although IMO it would surely be difficult to disguise this given the exposed surroundings and lack of reports of unusual behaviour or noise) then yes, it could potentially be a cunning ploy to exploit weaknesses in the local CJ infrastructure.

All of this is speculation of course, as we lack sufficient evidence.... Insights so far are largely anecdotal from local witnesses, friends/family assisting from afar and the press, the latter likely in one way or another to be biased.

It's also worth bearing in mind that reports we read from the local LE or press may well be skewed or misdirectional, given what we know about the wider context there.

Hard to know basically. :confused:

Edit to add: All IMO

Crime rates are higher than average in USVI, in fact, I believe it has one of the highest rates for murder and homicide in the world, and there have also been reports of corruption :(

If I was in RB's situation, I would probably also seek legal counsel fairly quickly, especially if I was concerned about corruption or foul play, or was not resident / known in the community.
Tho to add, it's probably the impoverished locals and drug smugglers who are driving up the murder rate, not the expat yachting community. It's lucky Sarm is British, the UK government can apply pressure in their own territory.

With regards to RB, I think this could destroy his charter business ($1200 US per night), so I can understand a lawyer for that reason, as well. Also makes me think a rational person wouldn't create this kind of problem for his idyllic lifestyle, but all may not be as it seems.

So odd.

jmo
Being on WS makes us super suspicious, JMO that's not probable cause to a judge: 'I read about this other case', etc. If there were reports of previous DV towards her, of his making threats, of arguments, her being fearful, or so on, that could be probable cause.

Tho to add, it's probably the impoverished locals and drug smugglers who are driving up the murder rate, not the expat yachting community. It's lucky Sarm is British, the UK government can apply pressure in their own territory.

With regards to RB, I think this could destroy his charter business ($1200 US per night), so I can understand a lawyer for that reason, as well. Also makes me think a rational person wouldn't create this kind of problem for his idyllic lifestyle, but all may not be as it seems.

I see your point for sure, the socio-economic conditions may well be feeding the crime rate. However, it is also worth considering that those of higher economic standing can take advantage of unstable conditions/contexts to hide nefarious behaviour behind seemingly clean/upstanding social status or lifestyle.

Good point about the business. Do we know if it is his business, and not someone else's? Does he own the boat, do we know this?

Again, MOO.

Being on WS makes us super suspicious, JMO that's not probable cause to a judge: 'I read about this other case', etc. If there were reports of previous DV towards her, of his making threats, of arguments, her being fearful, or so on, that could be probable cause.
I hear ya, but that's not what I posted.

I think it is probable cause simply because it's the last place she was supposedly seen alive and where she lived.

But whatever. Seems others don't think that is probable cause, including LE.

jmo

I see your point for sure, the socio-economic conditions may well be feeding the crime rate. However, it is also worth considering that those of higher economic standing can take advantage of unstable conditions/contexts to hide nefarious behaviour behind seemingly clean/upstanding social status or lifestyle.

Good point about the business. Do we know if it is his business, and not someone else's? Does he own the boat, do we know this?

Again, MOO.
No, I don't think the information about who owns the boat is public. He is the captain, but someone else could easily own it, related or unrelated to him. It's a half-million dollar yacht. If there is a silent boat owner, they could have hired the lawyer for him.

Just recalled, women are not always victimized because someone wants to get rid of them: they can also be victimized if they want to leave.

Just a thought: If he was concerned about integrity of a fingerprint search, surely having the lawyer present would be an option? I appreciate that is not the only touch point of the forensic process however...

What might other motivations be for not granting access to the boat for a search?

Off the beaten track a bit, but I have recently become aware of the yacht rental business and what a (more than likely) competitive business this is. My spouse has been binge watching Below Deck.. which follows a crew of a rental yacht around. I have not watched an episode, however my spouse fills me in occasionally. Strange stories and strange lifestyles are not unique to say the least. In saying this, along with the context of Sarm's disappearance it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear of possible 'under the table' hi jinks with the government or politics. These power rentals bring in BIG $$$

What might other motivations be for not granting access to the boat for a search?

If he's following the advice of his US attorney, I think they just recommend it as a matter of a policy. Don't say anything, don't give anything to police unless they have a legal warrant. It's up to them to find evidence, it's not your job. Also, any statements/ evidence they find and release to the public can be used in civil court by the family, to sue for wrongful death. Yes, it makes you look guilty, but LE are not allowed to assume that you're guilty until proved innocent....etc.

Just laying out the rationale, not justifying it. I think the truth is the best policy.

SBM

The Times reckons he owns it:
"The parents and friends of Sarm Heslop, 41, want Ryan Bane, 44, her American boyfriend and owner of Siren Song, a 47ft catamaran, to let detectives on board to search for clues to her disappearance two weeks ago."

Sarm Heslop: Boyfriend of Briton missing at sea refuses boat search | News | The Times

He seems to rent it out, skippered by himself plus/minus other crew through a couple of different companies:
SIREN SONG: 47' Catamaran - All Inclusive Crewed Yacht Charter
Siren Song | Crewed Catamaran Charter Virgin Islands | View Availability
Crewed Yacht Charters in the Caribbean Virgin Islands - BoatsAtSea.com
Yacht Charter BVI ⛵ The #1 BVI Yacht Charter Site

He also rents it out through his own website, which was taken down sometime after 16 March. Here are some cached pages:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nVTmjb_BlBcJ:https://sirensongcharters.com/
and
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FWdJJbQtCpcJ:https://sirensongcharters.com/meet-the-crew/

Sarm doesn't feature on the crew page. The chef is RB's cousin Barrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆