Parents Fuming Over Text Message Homework

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
Some parents in Grand Prairie are fuming after a math teacher sent sixth-grade students home with a lesson on text messaging abbreviations that included such terms as “Nude in Front of the Computer,” among other questionable phrases.

Sixth graders at Jackson Middle School were assigned by a math teacher to decode twenty popular text messaging abbreviations.

Some of the other codes included : Parent Over Shoulder and KPC: Keeping Parents Clueless.

Students were also directed to a Web site that included such codes as GYPO: Get Your Pants Off and IWSN: I Want Sex Now. http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

I'll have to check to see if this is the local teacher that assigned *advertiser censored* search homework to students here.

6th grade??? I'd be pissed off too! My kids (5th and 7th) are clueless on texting.

This goes in the bonehead teacher file.

:doh:

It's the new algebra:
GYPO + IWSN = POP

(Pissed Off Parents)

The teacher could possibly be more than a bonehead, but trying to start text messaging some students and grooming them. Crazier things have happened.

The teacher could possibly be more than a bonehead, but trying to start text messaging some students and grooming them. Crazier things have happened.

That was my initial thought too, that this teacher is a pedophile! Why else teach such expressions??? That's not necessary in teaching students to be techno-savvy.

That was my initial thought too, that this teacher is a pedophile! Why else teach such expressions??? That's not necessary in teaching students to be techno-savvy.

Parents are the ones who need lessons, not students! My son (15) did over 3000 texts last month :eek: (new phone-new girlfriend) Good God.

Eve

Parents are the ones who need lessons, not students! My son (15) did over 3000 texts last month :eek: (new phone-new girlfriend) Good God.

Eve
I hear you. Mine are not allowed at that age, and the older ones pay for their own.

Was any action taken by the administration?

I hear you. Mine are not allowed at that age, and the older ones pay for their own.

Yup, we're doing some serious talking about it, I can tell you.

Eve

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back