Found Deceased MA - Sinead Lyons, 41, Lowell, traveling to Ossipee/Effingham, NH area, 11 Mar 2021

It's so frustrating, I just want Sinead (and Flossie) to be found. Every day goes past with no new clues....just nothing. It's soooo frustrating.

For the 1st week or so of her disappearance I was in the 'foul play' state of mind, but the past 2 or 3 days I'm starting to be more of the opinion she and Flossie did have an accident and fall through the ice on the lake.
It's all too sad. :(
I go back and forth. There are people who live there year round- no one heard anyone screaming for their dog, barking, no frantic pleas for help. A couple of neighbors that live next to that park said that the ice on the lake melted in that area and where she would have been- if she had stepped into the water, she probably would have stepped in about a foot of water and should have been able to get out without any problems.

I am intrigued that no one heard a dog barking frantically- if she was injured, the dog, even it if took off, should have been found by now. People are wonderful there- everyone is looking for her and the dog on the way to work, their morning and afternoon jogs or walks, etc. They want them both found, too. People are nervous because of the lack of information and it's understandable.

I was wondering that too. But if she was on a trail on land, I think Flossie would have been found by now. I'm afraid that one of them went through the ice and the other tried to help. She visited the lake at the end of an unusually warm spell and I bet the ice was melting quickly.
I have kinfolk in the area and they said that nobody has been out on their lake all week. They also said their lake has a little snow cover on it and in those conditions, I think it's more likely that (1) a person or dog would go out on the ice since there would be less chance of slipping and (2) a person would not visibly see that the ice was melting and could therefore walk across a soft spot.
Hopefully I'm wrong and they crashed at somebody's cottage!

We have had some very warm days here- in the 60's and tomorrow is going to be another warm day. I know that parts of Ossipee lake the ice was melted in some areas. It's not safe now for skimobilers, ATVers, cross country skiers or skaters/hockey players to be on the ice now. I live on a lake myself.

According to people who live is Ossipee posting on FB, there is a massive police presence at Constitution Park this morning and they seem to think they are starting a grid search. Not sure if that's correct but many accounts are posting that.

According to people who live is Ossipee posting on FB, there is a massive police presence at Constitution Park this morning and they seem to think they are starting a grid search. Not sure if that's correct but many accounts are posting that.
That makes me think LE is putting weight on the witness who spotted Sinead and Flossie there.

I hope the search is successful.

jmo

The Lt. Fogarty said she 'may have' gone to hike. What I'm trying to say is, surely that's the only reason she went to Ossipee. Otherwise, why didn't she just collect the dog at Effingham and go back home....? Or hike elsewhere?

I don't understand the 'may have' part of it. It seems quite sure to me. And Lt. Fogarty didn't offer any other ideas why she could've been there either....

Unless they have actual evidence like CCTV that establishes a solid timeline, they are always going to say "may have" to encourage people who may have seen her somewhere else to come forward. If someone saw her at a convenience store but LE said she was definitely at the lake, that tipster may not report the sighting thinking LE already knows what happened. So until they are 100% sure they like to leave the door open to collect as many tips and potential sightings as possible. It's not bad police work, it's intentional to gather information.

FullMinder, just made a very interesting post. In that there’s been a massive police presence at Constitution Park in Ossipee, being reported this morning on social media. Isn’t that where her car was located? If so could they be looking at this now as a crime seen?

Because as far as I know. NH Fish and Game search and rescue are the ones that actually do the search and rescues. They do about 200 per year. They are extremely good at it and thoroughly know the areas they search and rescue in NH.

Last edited:
FullMinder, just made a very interesting post. In that there’s been a massive police presence at Constitution Park in Ossipee, being reported this morning on social media. Isn’t that where her car was located? If so could they be looking at this now as a crime seen?

Because as far as I know. NH Fish and Game search and rescue are the ones that actually do the search and rescues. They do about 200 per year. They are extremely good at it and thoroughly know the areas they search and rescue in NH.

I agree, I was a little surprised Fish and Game didn't launch a search with volunteer rescuers. People routinely get lost in the White Mountains and there's an excellent volunteer SAR group that helps Fish and Game rescue people even in the most treacherous conditions. Mount Washington has the "worst weather in the world" and there are rescues. You would think those groups could easily find someone in Ossipee.

I agree, I was a little surprised Fish and Game didn't launch a search with volunteer rescuers. People routinely get lost in the White Mountains and there's an excellent volunteer SAR group that helps Fish and Game rescue people even in the most treacherous conditions. Mount Washington has the "worst weather in the world" and there are rescues. You would think those groups could easily find someone in Ossipee.

I wasn't sure if it was acceptable to mention, but early on I read reports that people who claimed they had experience searching in the area had offers of assistance declined.

<i>North Woods Law</i>
Yep. North woods Law :cool:

Look at Ossipee, New Hampshire Neighborhood Happenings on Facebook. Can't link it AFAIK but sounds like Fish and Game are there. MOO

The Ossipee, NH neighborhood happenings Facebook. Is showing a post from this morning. Saying massive police, NH Fish & Game, the NH crime investigation unit, the FBI, and two big tents set up in Constitution Park where her car was located. I don’t have Facebook but was able to read the post. It wouldn’t copy and paste for me.

F&G and other LE were reportedly searching in many of the areas we talked about. The articles mentions drones, searchers with dogs, etc.

Also, untrained amateur volunteers, no matter how enthusiastic, can be more hindrance than help. They usually only call on civilians when they really need massive amounts of person-power. Not at all unusual for people to be turned down when they volunteer.

The Ossipee, NH neighborhood happenings Facebook. Is showing a post saying massive police, NH Fish & Game, the NH crime investigation unit, the FBI, and two big tents set up in Constitution Park where her car was located.
Oh my. That sounds quite a circus up there. They wouldn't have all that if they discovered a body in the lake, would they? Or just covering every eventuality?

I was thinking of the Appalachian Mountain Club trained professional SAR folks who help F&G 24/7 with lost hikers. So many people hike unprepared that F&G announces a lost hiker and rescue weekly, more in the summer. Maybe they are already helping too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back