MA MA - Neo Babson Maximus, aka Charles Allen, 22, Dartmouth, 12 Oct 2007

Can back up that his phone died/switched off after he called his sister on the night but was then charged/switched on a few days later another thing that is strange is that his friends and family say they kept trying to reach him for months - the phone would ring and then go to voicemail. Now I could be wrong but if it did ring before going voicemail then that would mean it was still charged and 'active' (as opposed to going straight to voicemail which would indicate it being switched off or dead) so does that mean he or someone else had been charging it back on for months? To my knowledge phones don't last a week without being charged irregardless if it is being used or not.

The only things they never found were his keys, phone and his charger. The keys and phone I can understand but would someone really carry their charger with them unless they know they need to carry it? You'd think that he would keep it in his car or in his backpack but it's never been discovered. Another thing there is no mention of them not finding his wallet/credit cards just that they haven't been used. So were they located or did the police just forget to mention that his wallet also hasn't been located?

Another odd thing but can only be considered speculation is that his sister said she overheard one of Charlie's friends say that he must have returned to his apartment over the weekend because he had logged back into facebook (and then deleted it again?) this has never been confirmed and his sister is the only one that has mentioned this (as far as I know) I just thought I'd mention it just in case it adds to anyones theories. I'd also like to know if that was even possible to delete and then reactivate your facebook account back then? Did any of his neighbours know the last time he was at his apartment?

On the sleeping in the car thing, I don't think this is as strange as people make it out to be sure I can definitely see him being paranoid and hiding out in his car but also he is a college student that probably works very hard I can see him possibly going for a nap in the back of his car during a break. Another angle is that some say he was addicted to tennis perhaps he was staying late at the campus practising or wanted an early start and instead of going back to his apartment decided to crash in his car. Again I feel this can go both ways and it's a shame we didn't really get further information from friends about this other than "he just did that sometimes."

Now the actual night itself when he was supposed to go to the party. At 6pm he and his friend split up after playing tennis fast forward to 8pm when his sister calls him she says they talked casually and he sounded normal until she mentioned that his facebook was gone that was when he went full panic mode and started saying people were after him. Now I don't know a lot about bipolar and mania but is that something that can happen? Could the person be talking normally and when you mention something they snap? I always thought this was strange but again I'm not an expert so perhaps that is common.

Another thing about the night was that his friend returned to campus to pick Charlie up for the party (around the same time as his sister called) of course Charlie didn't show up and when his friend called his phone it went straight to voicemail. Now back to his car as it was located in the campus carpark a few days later I wonder if the friend saw Charlie's car in the carpark that night? This has never been mentioned or asked and I'd believe that his friend just wasn't observant on the night and it could've been dark/in a different part of the carpark but thought I'd mention it anyway.

When Charlie broke into the house (Pretty convinced it was him considering the lady correctly identified him and his clothing) he was asking for his friend. They make a big deal about how his friend lived 30 minutes away but what I would like to know is where was this party being held? I find it more plausible that Charlie was searching for the party house and not his friend's house. This doesn't really add much to the case one way or another but just a thought.

This post has been long enough I may post again later as I've still got so much more to discuss but for the time being I just wanted to say since stumbling onto this case it has definitely sent me down the rabbit hole. I'm sure everyone has a certain case they want to see solved more than any other and this is certainly it for me. I just wish there was more to go on and the investigators would reveal what else they have (unless what is out there is all they've got) It's been years since an update and it has gone frozen cold. Anyway I hope Charlie's friends and family will have closure some day and hopefully that some day is soon.

Charlie stopped taking his medication after becoming interested in Scientology he believed that his medication wasn't helping and just making him a robot whilst he seemed normal and happy off the medication.

But

Something not mentioned in this thread is that Charlie started to take up 'weird' sleeping patterns for example he would play tennis then have a hour nap then do something else then have another hour nap - so every 3-4 hours he'd have a nap from 30 minutes to 2 hours long. This sounds like the Polyphasic sleep pattern it is said that Leonardo Da Vinci did something similar. I can definitely see Charlie reading about this somewhere and then doing this.

When you add going cold turkey off medication + changing sleep pattern (perhaps not getting enough sleep as a result) it is going to get bad eventually. I think it is clear that he had a mental break. From the recent podcast his sister even says it was clear that he was manic. The big question now is where is Charlie?

I wonder how far he went into the Scientology rabbit hole? Did he communicate with any members or was he just watching interviews?

He changed his name to Neo Babson Maximus but once word got out about the name change he was embarrassed and regretted the change - he still wanted people to call him Charlie.

He mentioned that important people were after him. It seems as though he was into conspiracy theories interestingly in his High School Year 12 Year Book in the "Remember When" section it says:

"Remember When - Charlie Allen "snapped" in AP Economics and taught the class his insight on the world?"

I wonder what this was about? Was he off his medication here too?

One of the most interesting things I have found while looking into the disappearance of Charlie is an Amazon account called "Neo Maximus"

Sure, anyone can create an Amazon account but this is what makes me wonder could this actually be him?

1. The accounts location is listed as Austin, Texas - One of his last search terms was University of Texas which has a campus in Austin. He also said he wanted to go to Texas or Florida.

2. The account's creation was sometime in 2009 - This is well before the case got any type of grand coverage + I'm not sure the Texas link was even publicised then? The account has left two reviews on products (1 in 2009 and 1 in 2015)

3. The nickname / alias of this account is "The Great One" - I may be grasping at straws here BUT in the Year 12 Yearbook Charlie calls himself "The HL Legend" (HL obviously stands for Half Life) and on his Steam account his bio is "Half Life God" these three names are all pretty much the same thing.

What do ya'll think? By the way I had this information collected a few years ago and it seems the account has been removed/URL has changed. Can't seem to locate it anymore but it was active at least in 2015. Could this actually be Charlie? or was it just a troll?

I've got a load more information in a word document somewhere including notes from interactions I had with the investigators in this case. If I can find it I'll definitely share more soon!

One of the most interesting things I have found while looking into the disappearance of Charlie is an Amazon account called "Neo Maximus"

Sure, anyone can create an Amazon account but this is what makes me wonder could this actually be him?

1. The accounts location is listed as Austin, Texas - One of his last search terms was University of Texas which has a campus in Austin. He also said he wanted to go to Texas or Florida.

2. The account's creation was sometime in 2009 - This is well before the case got any type of grand coverage + I'm not sure the Texas link was even publicised then? The account has left two reviews on products (1 in 2009 and 1 in 2015)

3. The nickname / alias of this account is "The Great One" - I may be grasping at straws here BUT in the Year 12 Yearbook Charlie calls himself "The HL Legend" (HL obviously stands for Half Life) and on his Steam account his bio is "Half Life God" these three names are all pretty much the same thing.

What do ya'll think? By the way I had this information collected a few years ago and it seems the account has been removed/URL has changed. Can't seem to locate it anymore but it was active at least in 2015. Could this actually be Charlie? or was it just a troll?

I've got a load more information in a word document somewhere including notes from interactions I had with the investigators in this case. If I can find it I'll definitely share more soon!

It would sure be wonderful to learn Charlie is alive and well-whatever the circumstances-and maybe we should believe that until it's proven otherwise. His sister and parents and others need him to make contact, though, and they seemed like a close family.

If you Google “Neo Babson Maximus” there is an Instagram account that comes up. Could this be him?
I reached out to that user a while ago and the person blocked me right away. I think it’s someone who is just using his name. I found a FB of the same person, I believe, who is Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

Skull Found - probable Young Adult Male

Why haven't we heard more about this? Has his family contacted the police for DNA testing?

9.12 mi (14.68 km) from here to UMass Dartmouth
4.10 mi (6.59 km) from where the backpack was found
6.58 mi (10.60 km) from the house he entered and his shoes (they were behind the house, diagonally on the main drag

Last edited:
In 2007, Charles Allen (also known as Babson Maximus) was a student at the University of Massachusetts in Dartmouth. On October 13, 2007 he was last seen in the vicinity of College Lane in Dartmouth by a homeowner at approximately 3:00 AM when he attempted to break into their residence. Charles is a Caucasian male with brown hair and brown eyes. At the time of his disappearance was described as 5’11” and weighing around 175-190 lbs. When last seen, Charles was wearing glasses, sneakers and black sweatpants with medium stripes down the legs. He was also observed carrying a long sleeve white t-shirt with “2007 US Open” printed on the front as he loved the sport of tennis. Charles was also wearing glasses and sneakers. During a search for Charles Allen, his vehicle, a 1999 blue Ford Expedition, was discovered abandoned on the university campus which contained his backpack and school supplies. Prior to his disappearance, Mr. Allen’s family noticed that he had become paranoid and had expressed an interest in moving to Texas or Florida. Shortly after his disappearance, it was reported that an individual fitting his description was observed approaching a commercial vehicle on Route 6 in Dartmouth. Authorities do not attribute his disappearance to foul-play but instead to his bipolar disorder and theorize that he may have hitched a ride out of New England.
1676641692497.jpeg

Last edited:
Skull Found - probable Young Adult Male

Why haven't we heard more about this? Has his family contacted the police for DNA testing?

9.12 mi (14.68 km) from here to UMass Dartmouth
4.10 mi (6.59 km) from where the backpack was found
6.58 mi (10.60 km) from the house he entered and his shoes (they were behind the house, diagonally on the main drag
This was determined to not be Charlie according to the facebook page.

Returning to this thread with some more thoughts:

The whole sleeping in his car thing makes a lot more sense when you consider his new interest in polyphasic sleep - in the months before his disappearance Charlie had began adopting 'unusual' sleeping patterns - he would sleep for an hour, then be active for two hours then have another hour nap. This would explain the pillow/sheets in his car, he probably had these naps in his car during his class breaks.

I have seen that Ann (Charie's mother) has passed away after a battle with cancer, my heart goes out to the Allen family. I hope they get the answers that they have been long searching for soon.

I've done polyphasic sleep and it would be very difficult to do it in a car. You need a place where a consistent environment can be created any time day or night. That doesn't mean he wasn't attempting to do it in his car since it might have been more consistent than his bedroom. I'm assuming he had roommates.

I do find the link to scientology interesting. That is exactly the sort of thing that might funnel someone like this to starting a new life "in the church" and he was already familiar with living under a new name.

If you're reading this thread, HL Neo - with all the documentaries made (pre-pandemic) about Scientology now would be a great time to leave the church and enjoy a measure of celebrity from it. Maybe enough to kick off a Twitch career.

Does anyone know if this thing about the phone was correct? It was ringing for months?

From Disappeared: "For about five or six months I called him every single day - multiple times - I'd leave him like voicemails and stuff to the point where you couldn't leave him voicemails any more. The phone would just keep ringing or it would just hang up on you."

Now I know that someone else could have literally found the phone for example although I think this is unlikely as it was not used for outgoing calls but why on earth did LE not trace the pings? Even if someone else had the phone it could have been helpful in providing leads.

It says that since his disappearance he has not used his credit cards, cellular phone or bank accounts but surely that does not matter if the phone was on. Am I missing something here? I almost blew a gasket when LE were on about grid searches yet his phone was on. Did they just think he hadn't used it so oh, ok, let's forget about that or is it an error in what his friend says? What is going on?

I would very much want to know last ping, where the phone travelled and so on.

I know a lot of time has passed but if this information is still accessible it would be really useful surely?

If foul play was involved it could point to the perpetrator. If Charlie was staying in one location there could be other people to talk to who might know more. It will show the path he took, where he was, what kind of thing he was doing/which direction to look in. Leads. Someone had it, so there will be information either way. Who kept it on for months?

Where could he be? He was obviously having interactions with people so I assume they checked every psychiatric hospital nearby as I would assume police would have taken him there as he was unwell at the time. I know people have spoken about denial etc and obviously the family did not want to accept that their lovely son was not well but I think they would have accepted it by now. In the US if someone is unwell and needs to be in hospital but they did not present with a name what would happen? They would be admitted and - ? He was so scared and I'm not sure that he would've given his name. But to me this phone issue needs to be clarified.

Last edited:
Mentioned in this thread

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member