Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the police not trace his phone calls/texts etc?
edited to add - I guess not, if it's switched off.

Snipped for focus and BBM

I know as much about cell phone tracing as a goldfish might, @Winterbells, but perhaps one of our tech-smart sleuths will let us know the answer to your pondering.

In the meantime, here's a quote from an interesting article published by the New York Times. Discussion is about LE in the US:

"...In California, state prosecutors advised local police departments on ways to get carriers to “clone” a phone and download text messages while it is turned off..."

Police Are Using Phone Tracking as a Routine Tool (Published 2012)

Off Topic: Your sleuth name has me smile with memories of church bells ringing in the snow. :)

Snipped for focus and BBM

I know as much about cell phone tracing as a goldfish might, @Winterbells, but perhaps one of our tech-smart sleuths will let us know the answer to your pondering.

In the meantime, here's a quote from an interesting article published by the New York Times. Discussion is about LE in the US:

"...In California, state prosecutors advised local police departments on ways to get carriers to “clone” a phone and download text messages while it is turned off..."

Police Are Using Phone Tracking as a Routine Tool (Published 2012)

Off Topic: Your sleuth name has me smile with memories of church bells ringing in the snow. :)
Thanks for the article @Puzzles. Sounds very complicated to me.

Hey everyone,

Please read the Terms of Service (aka The Rules) that everyone agreed to upon registering with Websleuths. Those rules are what sets Websleuths apart from all the other rag-mag, gossipy, rumor laden sites on the internet and what most members come to appreciate.

Discussing known victim behaviour, good or bad, is allowed but negative speculation about a victim (i.e. affairs or hook-ups, drugs, etc) is not victim friendly and not in keeping with Websleuths Terms of Service. Also, discussing sexual orientation is not allowed unless it is known to be germane to the case.

We also need to remind members that discussing removed posts and challenging or discussing moderation on the thread is an automatic time out.

Copying a short bit from missing Lola Shenkoya thread about illness that missing Richard has as well:

By the way – sickle-cell anaemia (I’ve reverted to UK spelling for this commentary) is a congenital disease that only affects those of black, African origin. (this a politically correct term in Britain). The blood cells are deformed into a sickle shape and cannot carry oxygen properly. This limits the sufferer in how they can exert themselves, and can cause great pain when tired, or stressed.

UK - UK - Elizabeth Chau, 19, & Lola Shenkoya, 27, West Ealing, 1999/2000

Anyone know what are the procedures in UK if someone end up in hospital and is unable to talk? I don't think I have ever seen UK hospitals making appeals to identify anyone. Most people though are discharged within day or two in London.

Few years back my elderly neighbour was taken to one of London A&E and even though I went there personally and insisted to see him, they claimed he was not there. Only few hours after he died there, alone, I have found out that staff misspelled his very simple British surname hence he was not coming out on their computer as being there :( .

Till this day I am still very upset about this but I understand that human errors do occur. I wonder if some similar scenario could be happening in Richard's case, especially with his complicated surname. Or if he has no ID on him, and unconcious or unable to talk for whatever other reasons, what are the hospitals procedures? Anyone knowns?

Today begins 10th day that Richard is missing.

His mum says he didn’t leave the house unless it was to go for a blood transfusion, but as he’s classed as CEV he will have been group 4 to receive his covid vaccine. He might have been feeling that it’s safer to go out and meet people as that will have been more than 2/3 weeks ago.

One of my sons is a gamer and if he went out and took a controller with him, he’s got so many I wouldn’t know if one was missing or not. Also they all play together online. No need to physically meet. My boys use Apple Pay, no wallets or bus passes needed, so leaving those at home isn’t a red flag to me unless he didn’t want any ID on him for some reason.

He had a PS5 which are like gold dust still so must be a serious gamer to have got his hands on one.

I’m assuming his dad isn’t in the picture.

Also if he went to Sainsbury’s they will have got him on cctv. Let’s hope it’s not too late to check.

Also I thought he got the 23 toward Hammersmith not towards Westbourne Park , to Hammersmith it goes a very long way around Central London Knightsbridge Kensington etc

Why the focus on Hammersmith in particular? Was that where the friend lives? Highly unlikely he would have gone by bus that far. Going that far he would have more likely taken the tube direct from Ladbroke Grove to Goldhawk Road and then walked the short distance.

I would have imagined he might have been going to Westbourne Grove area on the 23. Teens tend to have a social group roughly within same neighbourhood.

Last edited:
The fact that he did not take his wallet with him, could mean a) he was just going to one place, ie friend's home, where he would not need cash b) he had taken out some small change and put in pocket or bag c) he didn't purposely in case he was mugged.

That whole area of about a mile and a half radius is a weird one. On one hand, luvvie haven with many celebs living in multi-million-pound houses, alongside council estates and a area long known for gangs and trouble.

It does look like he's looking at his phone in the cctv still of him walking along the pavement. Can the police not trace his phone calls/texts etc?
edited to add - I guess not, if it's switched off.
<sbm>

I have teens and they all think texting is totally twentieth century. Kids all use Signal, because its encrypted and they don't want the CIA/GCHQ snooping on their twaddle. Unfortunately their postcapitalist cynicism is apt to work against them if they ever go missing. Phone calls and social media messaging would be traceable via providers but would require warrants. Let's hope LE has got as far as seeking those. Poor boy.

If he was going to see a 'friend' and had told his mother this, it could have just 1) been a friend she didn't know or 2) been someone he was seeing romantically that he didn't want her to know about yet.

Especially at that age it's really not uncommon to have friends/partners etc your own Mum may not know about - or even friends your other friends don't know. London isn't exactly a small place where everyone knows each other so this is very possible.

Obviously the above is all speculation and MOO.

Anyone know what are the procedures in UK if someone end up in hospital and is unable to talk? I don't think I have ever seen UK hospitals making appeals to identify anyone. Most people though are discharged within day or two in London.

Few years back my elderly neighbour was taken to one of London A&E and even though I went there personally and insisted to see him, they claimed he was not there. Only few hours after he died there, alone, I have found out that staff misspelled his very simple British surname hence he was not coming out on their computer as being there :( .

Till this day I am still very upset about this but I understand that human errors do occur. I wonder if some similar scenario could be happening in Richard's case, especially with his complicated surname. Or if he has no ID on him, and unconcious or unable to talk for whatever other reasons, what are the hospitals procedures? Anyone knowns?

Today begins 10th day that Richard is missing.

A friend of mine went missing, she had been for a week before we realised and raised the alarm, a week later the police found her in intensive care as a "Jane Doe" I had to go and identify her, so to answer the question the police will contact all local hospitals to see if they have a John Doe with them but if that were the case, I think he would have been found by now.

22 March
Mr Okorogheye is believed to have left his home in the Ladbroke Grove area of west London.

His mother, Evidence Joel, previously said the Oxford Brookes University student, who has sickle cell disease, had talked of “struggling to cope” with university pressures and had been shielding during the Covid-19 lockdown.

The Met said he left his home and headed in the direction of Ladbroke Grove at approximately 8.30pm.

The last confirmed sighting of the teenager was when he was seen boarding the 23 southbound bus in Ladbroke Grove at 8.44pm.

24 March
Mr Okorogheye is reported missing.

28 March
Metropolitan Police issue an appeal, saying “officers are becoming increasingly concerned” for Mr Okorogheye’s welfare.

29 March
Mr Okorogheye’s mother, Ms Joel, gives an interview in which she says: “Richard has never done anything like this. Something has gone wrong.”
She returned home from a nursing shift at around 9pm and assumed he was in his room.

She cooked him a meal but found he was not there when she knocked on his door and he did not answer his telephone.

The alarm was raised after a locksmith helped her gain entry to the room which was empty but Mr Okorogheye’s wallet, bus pass and bank card were left behind.

30 March
The Met Police release new images of Mr Okorogheye.

CCTV showed the student wearing an all-black outfit and carrying a black satchel-bag featuring a white Adidas logo.

What do we know so far about missing teenager Richard Okorogheye?

I have teens and they all think texting is totally twentieth century. Kids all use Signal, because its encrypted and they don't want the CIA/GCHQ snooping on their twaddle. Unfortunately their postcapitalist cynicism is apt to work against them if they ever go missing. Phone calls and social media messaging would be traceable via providers but would require warrants. Let's hope LE has got as far as seeking those. Poor boy.
'twaddle' lol. (This is now going to be my new favourite word).
I'd never heard of 'Signal' until this moment. But there again, I'm a boomer and my offspring and her pals are in their late 20's, so might be already stuck in their ways.

So going by above ^ where did the 'visiting a friend' come from if mother wasn't at home when he left?
Yes.
This is what I can't understand.
When did they have this conversation?
His mum says he told her to 'drive safely', so this suggests she was just leaving the house. But was this before her shift after which she returned home at 9pm and cooked dinner?
And if so, was he really telling her in the morning that he was going out at 8.30pm that evening? And if so, why would she be expecting him to be home for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak