MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Christopher Martin must be the kid that Williams was referring to when he said he had to hold him back because he was escalating. This kid received the counterfeit money and probably felt responsible when he saw GF on the ground like that because of a call he initiated. Initially he was just going to put the purchase on his tab!

You’re right that we don’t know what the jury is thinking. But I think the strategy that DC was so concerned about the “hostile” crowd will backfire since there is video of a small group of mostly kids and a FF pleading (and yes yelling) at LE that GF was dying. Never violent, never getting too close. Just desperate. And IMO the defense then badgering these emotional (some minor) witnesses on the stand and even flat out trying to get Williams to admit that he was angry is a bad look for the defense.

Morning Happy!

I'm trying to think back, and drawing a blank at the moment.

Had there already been other unrest in other cities across the nation where LE officers were attacked/assaulted by a crowd before George was killed by DC? Tia!

The reason I'm asking is the defense may use that as an reason why the officers that day were worried about being attacked.

Imo, it won't ever work, but if other LE elsewhere had already been assaulted by other crowds that had gathered the defense may go this route to bolster that theory saying no one knows what will happen when people start gathering around them.

That has to be the defense theory since they brought it up. Imo

Jmho

Last edited:
So Christopher Martin must be the kid that Williams was referring to when he said he had to hold him back because he was escalating. This kid received the counterfeit money and probably felt responsible when he saw GF on the ground like that because of a call he initiated. Initially he was just going to put the purchase on his tab!
Yes, it's becoming very clear just how many people were affected by what they saw. I remember the owner saying he wished he had been there because he would have handled things differently.

I remember feeling so anxious and my stomach was upset the whole time I was on a jury. 6 days total incl deliberations. I can’t even imagine sitting on this jury. I think I would be so stressed and overwhelmed every day. And then when you go home, you just think about it all night. It consumed me. Just knowing I can’t get up and go to the bathroom stressed me out. But I’m an anxious type. The others seemed calm. Lol.

Good morning all - I’m curious to see how Ms. Hansen will perform this morning. Someone on Twitter commented that she was adamant that a threatening/yelling crowd would not impact her job performance as a firefighter/medic and that she’d be able to focus on the task at hand but she was easily rattled and lost her cool under a pretty tame, relatively speaking, cross exam.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like this was a prep failure by the prosecution. Even with Williams. Being a witness in a criminal case is so rare for most people let alone on such a high profile, highly political, emotionally charged publicized case. People need to be prepped on how things go and what a leading question is and how to answer it. It protects the witness emotionally and it also makes the state look better. State has 11 lawyers, no one sat down with Ms. Hansen? I can’t imagine she would’ve been so unnerved if she was prepped properly.

Again, broken record, but this further illustrates how prosecutors can perform so poorly on these cop trials. And these are experienced prosecutors but something happens during these cop trials. Maybe too many cooks? Too many ppl with say so - breathing down their necks? Is it really necessary to have 4 different attorneys questioning bystanders? This should be the easy peasy part. One attorney can’t handle all of this testimony bc it’s basically the same thing over and over?

What is your definition of prepping a witness?

Yes, it's becoming very clear just how many people were affected by what they saw. I remember the owner saying he wished he had been there because he would have handled things differently.
But, he WAS there! He was the one who instructed the clerk(s) to chase down GF and confront him about the counterfeit bill. Not that it matters for the purposes of this trial, but I don't think that was appropriate. JMO

But, he WAS there! He was the one who instructed the clerk(s) to chase down GF and confront him about the counterfeit bill. Not that it matters for the purposes of this trial, but I don't think that was appropriate. JMO

Exactly!!

UPDATE from the courtroom: At 10:07am, Juror #7, closest to the wall, stands up and waves her hand, gesturing toward the door (maybe needs a bathroom? Not clear but she seemed flushed or perhaps ill, she appeared to be fanning herself). A break is called and she exits quickly.

https://twitter.com/paulblume_fox9/status/1377280176761921540?s=21

From my notes in the media thread, Juror #7 is identified as this one MOO

No. 55: White woman, 50s
She said she works in health care as an executive assistant.

The juror said she couldn’t watch the full video because she found it too disturbing.

She also said in her questionnaire she has a somewhat negative opinion of Chauvin but that he’s innocent until proven otherwise.

She said she has a somewhat unfavorable opinion of Black Lives Matter, acknowledging that she perceives it to possibly mean that other lives don’t matter. She wrote on her questionnaire, “I believe all lives matter,” according to notes from the pool reporter.

ETA: Adding source for my MOO MN - George Floyd, 46, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 **Media & Timeline - NO DISCUSSION

I think that was the manager. I'm pretty sure the owner was not there, and said if he was, he would have handled things differently. That's what he told the media, anyway. He also said that was not store procedure.

I think that was the manager. I'm pretty sure the owner was not there, and said if he was, he would have handled things differently. That's what he told the media, anyway. He also said that was not store procedure.
You're right... My apologies! Somehow my brain turned 'owner' into 'manager'. Must need more coffee!

Having these kids confront a grown man like this is so inappropriate. On so many levels!! Wow!

Edited to add: Two grown men. Twice! In their car. They could’ve had a weapon. They could be psychos!

We’re back:

Martin described George Floyd's reaction when he told him to come back to Cup Foods.

"He just seemed like he didn't might want this to happen."

Martin says he went back inside and told his manager that George Floyd wasn't going to come back. He testifies that his manager sent him back out again.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1377287101453115401?s=21

They are now playing the surveillance video of Martin approaching the vehicle George Floyd was in -- and talking to the passenger. (upper right of the photo here)

https://twitter.com/louraguse/status/1377287383952003077?s=21

Martin testifies that he told his manager he would pay for the $20 out of his own pocket but the manager told him to go back outside to confront Floyd's group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member