Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing headlines saying police have released cctv of RO boarding the Number 23 bus, but I’m not seeing these images - just him leaving Quayside House and his back walking along the street. I’m pretty sure every TfL bus has a GPS tracker on it which could identify the exact vehicle he boarded, but still no sign of any CCTV from the inside the bus. Did he actually board a bus, or had its cctv been overwritten by the time the MPS went looking?

I keep seeing headlines saying police have released cctv of RO boarding the Number 23 bus, but I’m not seeing these images - just him leaving Quayside House and his back walking along the street. I’m pretty sure every TfL bus has a GPS tracker on it which could identify the exact vehicle he boarded, but still no sign of any CCTV from the inside the bus. Did he actually board a bus, or had its cctv been overwritten by the time the MPS went looking?
I haven't seen an image of Richard boarding a bus either - just the images you've described. I don't think the boarding bus info is from bus cctv. The way it's worded sounds like it is, but it could be that a witness spotted him, or some other cctv:
He was last seen on 22 March in the Ladbroke Grove area of west London boarding the 23 bus southbound at 8:44pm, but it is unknown at which stop he disembarked.
Richard Okorogheye: New CCTV images of missing student

I haven't seen an image of Richard boarding a bus either - just the images you've described. I don't think the boarding bus info is from bus cctv. The way it's worded sounds like it is, but it could be that a witness spotted him, or some other cctv:
He was last seen on 22 March in the Ladbroke Grove area of west London boarding the 23 bus southbound at 8:44pm, but it is unknown at which stop he disembarked.
Richard Okorogheye: New CCTV images of missing student
Hmm. This is the still from the Anytime Fitness camera on Ladbroke Grove - the bus stop is visible at the top and it’s possible to make out the legs of a figure standing about where he would have to be to board a bus, so they should have a good idea whether he did or not. Additionally, there’s no timestamp visible on this image, so it may have been cropped down at the top, giving an even better view on the original.

What’s also apparent from this image is that this camera would have a clear view of the number plate and rear advertising panel of any bus passing it heading south, so there’s no reason to suppose any confusion as to which vehicle the MPS are looking for with regard to cctv.

2F9E5BC0-5FAF-4B4C-B947-F2970F32474F.jpeg

Yes.
This is what I can't understand.
When did they have this conversation?
His mum says he told her to 'drive safely', so this suggests she was just leaving the house. But was this before her shift after which she returned home at 9pm and cooked dinner?
And if so, was he really telling her in the morning that he was going out at 8.30pm that evening? And if so, why would she be expecting him to be home for dinner?

Or, thinking about it, did she phone him sometime earlier in the evening or day, and he said something like he was going to a friend's but would be back by time she was home for dinner?

On the day he was last seen, March 22, Ms Joel said Richard told her he was going to a friend's house before she left for work that evening.

She returned home from a nursing shift at around 9pm and assumed he was in his room.

Ms Joel told MyLondon that she assumed her son was asleep when she returned from work and he didn't answer a knock on his bedroom door.

Last edited:
If he left Quayside House, he would just have to walk along Kensal Road to catch 23 before it turns into Ladbroke Grove, circles around Sainsbury's, to return to Ladbroke Grove and head straight down to the station and beyond.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-162736_Maps-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210331-162736_Maps-01.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 20
If he was going to Hammersmith the train from Ladbroke Grove is a few stops takes about 8 mins more or less same cost not go round the world on a 23

I said that earlier, tube would be far quicker, but couldn't get direct to Hammersmith as not on same line; would need to go to Goldhawk Road and walk the short distance (depending on destination in Ham), or change at Westbourne Park for a District Line train. Still faster than the bus.

If he left Quayside House, he would just have to walk along Kensal Road to catch 23 before it turns into Ladbroke Grove, circles around Sainsbury's, to return to Ladbroke Grove and head straight down to the station and beyond.
Though the cctv image released yesterday shows him walking towards the Kensal House southbound stop on Ladbroke Grove - possibly because there are a lot more buses available from that stop. On that basis (in the apparent absence of onboard bus cctv and assuming he did actually board a No.23) it might be plausible to suppose that he intended to get off at a stop common to many of those routes.

Though the cctv image released yesterday shows him walking towards the Kensal House southbound stop on Ladbroke Grove - possibly because there are a lot more buses available from that stop. On that basis (in the apparent absence of onboard bus cctv and assuming he did actually board a No.23) it might be plausible to suppose that he intended to get off at a stop common to many of those routes.

To turn left into Ladbroke Grove to go to that Kensal House stop is the natural thing, unless you are wanting to go in Sainsbury's or catch a bus going the opposite way, yes.

Where is this bus CCTV, if indeed he got on the bus? All we seem to have is CCTV from outside and no bus boarding.

Anyone looked at the Tfl cameras around there?

That is an excellent observation. If he had specifically wanted the 23, he could have caught it from outside his front door. By walking along Kensal Road as far as the bus stop on Ladbroke Grove, he gave himself the option also of catching any of the 52, 70, 228, 295, 316 or 452.

Buses nearby Kensal House

So where do their routes intersect with the route of the bus he did get on?

Well, the 23 goes to Ladbroke Road tube, then via Portobello Road, Westbourne Grove, Queensway, Paddington, Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, High St Ken and Olympia to Hammersmith.

The 52 follows the same route to Ladbroke Grove then takes a different route but intersects the 23 route at Knightsbridge and Hyde Park Corner before going on to Victoria.

The 70 takes a completely different route but does go to Hammersmith Hospital before heading further west to Acton and Chiswick.

The 228 goes to Ladbroke Grove tube but then heads out to White City, Acton, Willesden and Harlesden before terminating at the Central Middlesex Hospital.

The 295 also goes via Hammersmith and stops at Charing X Hospital before going south to Fulham and Clapham.

The 316 goes to Shepherd's Bush.

The 452 heads down Ladbroke Grove to the tube station, then intersects the 23 route at Kensington and Knightsbridge before heading south to Wandsworth and Vauxhall.

It's possible he wanted a choice of buses heading directly down the hill to Ladbroke Road tube, I suppose. It's an easy walk for an able bodied youngster. But we know that Richard isn't completely well. If he was in pain, he might have taken the bus to get to the tube, and after that anything's possible.

If he stayed on the bus, though, my best guess is that he was heading for the Hammersmith area, as three of the buses from the bus stop he walked all the way along Kensal Road to get to go there. The only other intersection points with the 23's route are Knightsbridge/Kensington/Hyde Park - possible, but hard to see what the specific draw would be at 9'oclock on a Monday night.

The other thing that occurs to me is whether he was heading for a hospital. St Mary's in Paddington and Charing Cross both have A&Es. Hammersmith doesn't, but he may not know that - and I think it may be the hospital he's used to going to for haematology services. St Mary's is in the same healthcare trust and would probably be the one he's advised go to for help related to his condition out of hours.

Can the CCTV WebSleuthers manage to pull up any images of the 23 arriving at St Mary's Paddington about 15 minutes after he got on to it and/or Hammersmith Hospital an hour later?

I said that earlier, tube would be far quicker, but couldn't get direct to Hammersmith as not on same line; would need to go to Goldhawk Road and walk the short distance (depending on destination in Ham), or change at Westbourne Park for a District Line train. Still faster than the bus.

I'm VERY local to this area, I used to do the school run to a school just by where the CCTV footage was taken.

The way to get from there to Hammersmith is to walk or take the 23 down to Ladbroke Grove tube, then get on the Hammersmith & City line, just a handful of stops from there to H'Smith. It's very quick.

--

The reason he wouldn't catch a bus on Kensal Road - I know a few folks have asked about this - is because it takes ages when it terminates at Sainsbury's to leave again. Even if not terminating, it takes quite a while to pick up and wait before leaving again.

--

Kids are too lazy to walk down Ladbroke Grove so would more likely jump on a bus for 2-3 stops than do that. It's a travesty, but teenagers these days....

I'm VERY local to this area, I used to do the school run to a school just by where the CCTV footage was taken.

The way to get from there to Hammersmith is to walk or take the 23 down to Ladbroke Grove tube, then get on the Hammersmith & City line, just a handful of stops from there to H'Smith. It's very quick.

--

The reason he wouldn't catch a bus on Kensal Road - I know a few folks have asked about this - is because it takes ages when it terminates at Sainsbury's to leave again. Even if not terminating, it takes quite a while to pick up and wait before leaving again.

--

Kids are too lazy to walk down Ladbroke Grove so would more likely jump on a bus for 2-3 stops than do that. It's a travesty, but teenagers these days....
Bit harsh on the young 'uns, but the local insight is appreciated. :D

The Marble Arch 23 bus stop - and probably the biggest bus interchange in central London :) - has been blanked out on TFL cams from 1900 that night, until 1300 next day.

I imagine the Met are pretty wary after what we did with the cameras on the Everard case. It is odd to blanket cut that camera out for so long, but it can be for a variety of reasons.

That is an excellent observation. If he had specifically wanted the 23, he could have caught it from outside his front door. By walking along Kensal Road as far as the bus stop on Ladbroke Grove, he gave himself the option also of catching any of the 52, 70, 228, 295, 316 or 452.

Buses nearby Kensal House

So where do their routes intersect with the route of the bus he did get on?

Well, the 23 goes to Ladbroke Road tube, then via Portobello Road, Westbourne Grove, Queensway, Paddington, Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, High St Ken and Olympia to Hammersmith.

The 52 follows the same route to Ladbroke Grove then takes a different route but intersects the 23 route at Knightsbridge and Hyde Park Corner before going on to Victoria.

The 70 takes a completely different route but does go to Hammersmith Hospital before heading further west to Acton and Chiswick.

The 228 goes to Ladbroke Grove tube but then heads out to White City, Acton, Willesden and Harlesden before terminating at the Central Middlesex Hospital.

The 295 also goes via Hammersmith and stops at Charing X Hospital before going south to Fulham and Clapham.

The 316 goes to Shepherd's Bush.

The 452 heads down Ladbroke Grove to the tube station, then intersects the 23 route at Kensington and Knightsbridge before heading south to Wandsworth and Vauxhall.

It's possible he wanted a choice of buses heading directly down the hill to Ladbroke Road tube, I suppose. It's an easy walk for an able bodied youngster. But we know that Richard isn't completely well. If he was in pain, he might have taken the bus to get to the tube, and after that anything's possible.

If he stayed on the bus, though, my best guess is that he was heading for the Hammersmith area, as three of the buses from the bus stop he walked all the way along Kensal Road to get to go there. The only other intersection points with the 23's route are Knightsbridge/Kensington/Hyde Park - possible, but hard to see what the specific draw would be at 9'oclock on a Monday night.

The other thing that occurs to me is whether he was heading for a hospital. St Mary's in Paddington and Charing Cross both have A&Es. Hammersmith doesn't, but he may not know that - and I think it may be the hospital he's used to going to for haematology services. St Mary's is in the same healthcare trust and would probably be the one he's advised go to for help related to his condition out of hours.

Can the CCTV WebSleuthers manage to pull up any images of the 23 arriving at St Mary's Paddington about 15 minutes after he got on to it and/or Hammersmith Hospital an hour later?
WS needs an applause emoji. That's some serious sleuthing.

To turn left into Ladbroke Grove to go to that Kensal House stop is the natural thing, unless you are wanting to go in Sainsbury's or catch a bus going the opposite way, yes.

Where is this bus CCTV, if indeed he got on the bus? All we seem to have is CCTV from outside and no bus boarding.

Anyone looked at the Tfl cameras around there?
Yup. If he got on a bus, where is the onboard cctv? I'm increasingly getting the feeling it was overwritten before police attempted to access it.

RENEWED MET APPEAL

Detectives investigating the disappearance of missing man Richard Okorogheye have released new images from the evening of his disappearance alongside his mother’s plea for the public’s help in locating her son.

Richard, 19, a student at Oxford Brookes University, is believed to have left his family home in the Ladbroke Grove area on the evening of Monday, 22 March. He was reported missing on Wednesday 24 March.

Enquiries have identified Richard leaving his home address and heading in the direction of Ladbroke Grove, W10 on 22 March at approximately 20:30hrs.

In the last confirmed sighting on Monday, 22 March, Richard was seen boarding the 23 bus southbound in Ladbroke Grove at 20:44hrs. CCTV footage shows he was wearing all-black and had a black satchel-bag with a white ‘ADIDAS’ logo, worn across his lower back. It is unknown which stop he exited the bus.

He is known to frequent the Westminster and Hammersmith and Fulham areas.

Officers are conducting increased patrols in the Kensal Road and Ladbroke Grove areas while detectives are continuing to utilise all investigative opportunities in an effort to locate Richard.

Now a week on from his disappearance, Richard’s mother is appealing directly for the public’s help in locating her son.

In a statement, Richard’s mother said: “Richard we love you and miss you very much, please can you come home. We aren’t angry at you. We just want to know that you’re okay.

“For anyone reading this, we are desperately missing our son. If you know anything or know where he might be, please come forward and speak to the police.”

Detective Chief Inspector Nicki Beecher, from the Met’s Area West Public Protection Unit, said: “Our officers are continuing to work around the clock to locate Richard and bring him home to his worried family.

“We are keen to speak with anyone who may have been around Ladbroke Grove at the time of Richard’s last known sighting as captured above - you might be able to help us trace his next steps. If you may have seen Richard, please contact police, no detail is too insignificant.

"If Richard is safe and well, we ask him to contact us as a matter of urgency so that we can put his family's minds at ease.”

If you have any information, please call police on 101 quoting 21MIS008134. In an emergency please call 999.

Renewed appeal for information on the whereabouts of 19-year-old Richard Okorogheye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth