MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I’m watching the young store clerk testify now, who went over to the car to notify them that the bill passed was fake and that his boss wanted to talk to GF. I’m thinking to myself about this young clerk, “poor guy”...I wonder if the store employees now wish they wouldn’t have had to say/do anything about it, even though they were just doing their job...
That poor kid says he feels guilty for calling the cops. It's heartbreaking.

So, I’m watching the young store clerk testify now, who went over to the car to notify them that the bill passed was fake and that his boss wanted to talk to GF. I’m thinking to myself about this young clerk, “poor guy”...I wonder if the store employees now wish they wouldn’t have had to say/do anything about it, even though they were just doing their job...
Yes he said he felt guilt, the poor thing, So sad him thinking this was his fault.

He pulled his gun because GF wouldn’t put his hands on the steering wheel when told to and he couldn’t tell if he was reaching for a gun.
I do understand that. Generally, I feel for police who walk up to someone in a car. Who knows whether they’ll get blown away? But once GF put his hands on his head, etc., they should have begun to de-escalate the situation, whether or not they believed George’s statement, thus his fear about having been shot before. He was begging, “don’t shoot me, don’t shoot me, please don’t shoot me.”

I guess that’s a black man’s fear when dealing with LE.

Last edited:
With all of us knowing the end result of this arrest, it is very difficult to separate emotion from fact. I would truly hate being a juror in such a high profile case.

Having read many of the comments posted, it is easy to see which are based on emotional interpretation of events versus those which are more analytical.

The prosecution, IMO, was smart to have all this emotional witness testimony at the onset of the trial.
That said, I do hope the jurors are able to analyze all the information presented to them without personal sentiment interfering in their judgments.

Having viewed the body cam videos, I can honestly say that up until the point that DC kept his knee on GFs neck beyond a reasonable timeframe, the police appear to have behaved in accordance with procedure, IMO

With all of us knowing the end result of this arrest, it is very difficult to separate emotion from fact. I would truly hate being a juror in such a high profile case.

Having read many of the comments posted, it is easy to see which are based on emotional interpretation of events versus those which are more analytical.

The prosecution, IMO, was smart to have all this emotional witness testimony at the onset of the trial.
That said, I do hope the jurors are able to analyze all the information presented to them without personal sentiment interfering in their judgments.

Having viewed the body cam videos, I can honestly say that up until the point that DC kept his knee on GFs neck beyond a reasonable timeframe, the police appear to have behaved in accordance with procedure, IMO
We will have to agree to disagree, then.

This is a such a tough case. :(

I can see things on both sides that went completely sideways.

With that being said, I do think LE failed at rendering aid to GF and they need to be held accountable for not providing it to GF.

I don’t get it. What would he be incriminating himself for, passing a bad $20? (Who cares about that???)

Well.....I could see how it could get dicey....the defense could ask him all kinds of other questions, in an attempt to shed negative light on him and the victim, perhaps things related to the bill and the drugs found.

Last edited:
This is a such a tough case. :(

I can see things on both sides that went completely sideways.

With that being said, I do think LE failed at rendering aid to GF and they need to be held accountable for not providing it to GF.
I can't get over some of the comments made to the crowd.It's like is wasn't even about George anymore but showing the crowd who was boss even when another cop expressed concern for him.

There's also this....so possibly doesn't want to incriminate himself regarding the pills?

https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/High-Profile-Cases/27-CR-20-12949-TT/Exhibit112312020.pdf

This is very interesting to me. Mr Floyd's toxicology results showed evidence of THC, fentanyl & methamphetamine. The taking of opiods and stimulants at the same time is often referred to as "speedballing", and it can be more dangerous than taking one of the substances alone.

Discriminative stimulus effects of a cocaine/heroin "speedball" combination in rhesus monkeys - PubMed

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAFegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0AmEW0EHG-GYgInMSOsWai

As I watched the bodycam videos today, I personally saw what I perceive to be Mr Floyd becoming more and more anxious, agitated (rather than agressive), and verging on displaying paranoia. His speaking becomes very rapid as the officers walk him across the street and attempt to get him into the car. His breathing seems rapid and shallow.

His demeanor seems very different to that shown from the store surveillance video earlier.

IMO, this could fit with someone who was under the slowing effects of an opiod in the store because:
1) he was passive initially in his Mercedes (when the store clerks came out),
2) didn't drive off ( IMO abnormal fight/flight response - no, 'oh they're on to me, let me get out of here' type reaction.

Then when the cops arrive at his vehicle, stress kicks in, the effects of the stimulant take over, there is a heightened adrenaline and dopamine response (IMO).

I did not follow the details of this case very closely at the time, but I am now. My opinions are still changing somewhat, but I like to explore all the evidence regardless of my initial thoughts and feelings.
I'm horrified at the actions of Derek Chauvin, but I think that that there are a lot of issues to explore.
I wish the LEOs had just let Mr Floyd sit/stand outside, called EMS and have him checked out. :(

(Edited to re-format).

Last edited:
As stargazer17 said, it was his flashlight.
  • Lane approaches Floyd's car and uses the back of his flashlight to tap on the driver's-side window.
  • Floyd is visibly startled in the vehicle.
  • Lane pulls a service weapon and demands to see Floyd's hands.
  • A confused Floyd looks and leans back, asking, "What did we do, Mr. Officer?"
  • After saying, "I'm sorry, officer," Floyd puts both hands on the steering wheel.
  • "I'm so sorry," Floyd can be heard telling Lane again, explaining that he wants to comply. "I got shot the same way, Mr. Officer, before."
Unsealed bodycam video reveals new details of George Floyd's fatal arrest
Yeah, I remember that he tapped on the window with his flashlight. I watched the video again and saw that he waited about four seconds before pointing the gun at him. I think Floyd became even more agitated when he saw the gun. He already seemed to be flustered and as the employee said, was acting very strange.

We will have to agree to disagree, then.
And that’s perfectly fine!!

Despite what I wrote earlier, I am very conflicted about this case. When I first saw the viral video I had the same reaction as most of the world: WTH am I seeing!!

Now, I’m just not so sure it was murder. Negligence.... absolutely. Manslaughter... likely. I guess none of us will really know until ALL the evidence is put forth.

Despite what I wrote earlier, I am very conflicted about this case. When I first saw the viral video I had the same reaction as most of the world: WTH am I seeing!!

Now, I’m just not so sure it was murder. Negligence.... absolutely. Manslaughter... likely. I guess none of us will really know until ALL the evidence is put forth.

I agree. I felt the same when this first happened, but after learning more about the case I've come to realize there's more to it than what was initially shown to the general public. I blame the media for that.

It's totally different for me.I was more open at first but the more I see the more I think second degree murder is deserved.I've always felt bad for law enforcement and felt they get blamed unfairly at times but in this case seeing the tapes makes me more sure of his guilt.And for what it's worth my brother is a police officer who usually sides with police but in this case told me he thought this guy was acting like a bully who wanted to prove he was right instead of doing the humane thing. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts