George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A stretcher has a series of belts, like steps of a ladder. They belt you flat down and then EMTs have to manually move a part on the stretcher to lift your head or torso. Maybe he didn't want GF to have a chance to get up?

Or roll off, in front of the audience. I think Chauvin knew he had a mess. And didn't know how to "clean it up". That ship sailed. So, let's not have a bigger spectacle with GF rolling off the stretcher into the gutter, and folks trying to get him back up.

Or conversely, Chauvin wanted him restrained, as he thought GF was still a dangerous man.

BOOM... and if he thought such was the case (George told the first two he had been hooping also) that he should give NARCAN!!!!! Overdoses are common in that area, all PD have such (hmmmm, perhaps needed by prosecution to state such to get ready for defense... YOOOO HOOOO to prosecutors!!!!)

RE NARCAN (aka Naloxone) Does naloxone reverse any overdose?

Naloxone only works on overdoses caused by opioids. This family of drugs includes prescription painkillers like OxyContin, fentanyl, methadone, and Vicodin, as well as street drugs like heroin. Naloxone will not reverse overdose resulting from non-opioid drugs, like cocaine, benzodiazepines (“benzos”), or alcohol. Given how safe naloxone is, a victim of a non-opioid overdose, or an overdose caused by a mixture of drugs will not be harmed by naloxone. In multiple drug overdoses (e.g., an opioid and a benzodiazepine) it is still worth administering naloxone as it will remove the effects of the opioid and may still reverse the overdose. HE TOLD THEM HE HAD BEEN HOOPING

He told them he was "hooping" and given the fact that he was a drug addict we suspect he meant "hooping" as in hooping drugs. But, as his his girlfriend testified he loved playing sports. So "hooping" could also mean he was shooting hoops on the basketball court. We don't know what he meant when he said "hooping". Or did I miss something?

He told them he was "hooping" and given the fact that he was a drug addict we suspect he meant "hooping" as in hooping drugs. But, as his his girlfriend testified he loved playing sports. So "hooping" could also mean he was shooting hoops on the basketball court. We don't know what he meant when he said "hooping". Or did I miss something?
I believe the context was his condition at the time...doubt it is a reference to any basketball.

I wonder why so many are choosing to resign and what if any measures can be taken to remedy the situation
That is a big topic for another forum...it pre=dates this trial for quite some time...lots of excessive brutality in the force and these jobs are hard to fill. I think that is probably true in many areas.

Sounds like Maurice or Morries is in custody in jail in an adjoining country here in Minnesota...domestic assault charge...he has other outstanding cases ...one domestic assault by strangulation etc. I hope State does not give him some deal...he is dangerous on the street...not sure that the state really needs him as witness?

I think he meant he had taken drugs (in this case an enema) because he said it after they commented that he was acting erratic and asked if he had taken anything.

The inference (or proof if it exists) that GF took fentanyl in the car wouldn’t justify Chauvin’s behavior, IMO, because they never even discussed using Narcan, as far as I can tell. If they felt he was ODing, Narcan would have been administered (unless he didn’t want to revive him, which in itself would be problematic).

I know someone who ran off the road with her car and was out of it. They gave her Narcan and took her to the hospital ASAP.

I started out not knowing if I would think guilty on any of the charges as to trial (WS trial standards vs. jury/court standards iykwim)

Minimally, I have moved from the second day of the trial at the lowest charge to now on board with moving up to the second highest charge today.

Defense responsibility, is to create doubt afterwards. MOO

We shall see, they are doing an awful job right now of perhaps jurors (and myself) digging into conviction of opinions they may have.

Strategy of the prosecution, in how they end each day with a really strong witness has been exemplary MOO

I think he meant he had taken drugs (in this case an enema) because he said it after they commented that he was acting erratic and asked him if he had taken anything.

I am almost not sure I want to know answer to this question but in context of discussion, does hooping mean using an enema to take drugs?

If that is case I have never heard of it. Not that I move in such circles lol xx

I believe the context was his condition at the time...doubt it is a reference to any basketball.

Possibly, but I'm not so sure about that.

LE asked him if he was on anything, but I don't think GF was telling them he was on drugs. I think it's possible he was saying he was "hooping" as in shooting hoops.

As you know, winters are long in Minnesota. The weather was nice and it was Memorial Day. People were out and about enjoying the nice weather.

I don't know what he meant when he said he had been "hooping" or how LE took it, but it could be taken either way. Maybe we'll hear more about it next week.

Was there testimony that GF was in the recovery position when EMT’s arrived? Did I miss that part as I thought he was still in the prone position with Chauvin still on his neck when they arrived and the paramedic stated he ‘appeared deceased’.

Good point! But when LE hears the word hooping with a guy who was stated by LE later to appear to be on drugs... I lean more to thing they perceived the definition of hooping / should have?? the drug definition. iykwim. ( I had to google such at beginning of the case)

I started out not knowing if I would think guilty on any of the charges as to trial (WS trial standards vs. jury/court standards iykwim)

Minimally, I have moved from the second day of the trial at the lowest charge to now on board with moving up to the second highest charge today.

Defense responsibility, is to create doubt afterwards. MOO

We shall see, they are doing an awful job right now of perhaps jurors (and myself) digging into conviction of opinions they may have.

Strategy of the prosecution, in how they end each day with a really strong witness has been exemplary MOO

I think on a human level I have always thought it was guilty but I was prepared to listen to evidence.

As each day goes on I do believe they are proving their charges. Like you said, will depend on what the defence come back with.

I do hope they don’t try and blame George too much in their presentation but I fear that is where they will go with drugs.. jmo xx

Was there testimony that GF was in the recovery position when EMT’s arrived? Did I miss that part as I thought he was still in the prone position with Chauvin still on his neck when they arrived and the paramedic stated he ‘appeared deceased’.

I think Nelson tried to say yesterday with no. one paramedic that he had been turned slightly on his left side.

Then paramedic two said he looked dead

Possibly, but I'm not so sure about that.

LE asked him if he was on anything, but I don't think GF was telling them he was on drugs. I think it's possible he was saying he was "hooping" as in shooting hoops.

As you know, winters are long in Minnesota. The weather was nice and it was Memorial Day. People were out and about enjoying the nice weather.

I don't know what he meant when he said he had been "hooping" or how LE took it, but it could be taken either way. Maybe we'll hear more about it next week.

NOTE TO LE: Train LE to know the slang and lingo (don't know correct word for such.. that's showing my age with that word?) of folks in your area. Heck, we even have such at WS for training! Websleuths Lingo

I am almost not sure I want to know answer to this question but in context of discussion, does hooping mean using an enema to take drugs?

If that is case I have never heard of it. Not that I move in such circles lol xx
Yes, it is a slang term for inserting them in "the other end," to put it nicely.

Remember when Nelson asked his girlfriend, CR how he took the pills they did together the week prior? She said he swallowed them. There was a reason why he asked her that question.

I think on a human level I have always thought it was guilty but I was prepared to listen to evidence.

As each day goes on I do believe they are proving their charges. Like you said, will depend on what the defence come back with.

I do hope they don’t try and blame George too much in their presentation but I fear that is where they will go with drugs.. jmo xx
I one thing that bothers me and defense will stress is the move that Chauvin used WAS in the manual at that time and is now not there. The question will then become was it 'reasonable" for that situation...this can be subjective and no jury member was there at the time. It does leave open one or more may not reach the threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt. I try to prepare myself for this possibility. It could happen...there is a long case to be heard including the defense case.

Good point! But when LE hears the word hooping with a guy who was stated by LE later to appear to be on drugs... I lean more to thing they perceived the definition of hooping / should have?? the drug definition. iykwim. ( I had to google such at beginning of the case)
Yes, I'm sure police know all the current terms for street drugs and methods of intake. I'm guessing they didn't think he had been hula- hooping.

I knew what "hooping" can mean. I initially thought the same, but the more I think about it the more I'm doubting it. It could explain why narcan wasn't used. Until I hear more I'm on the fence about what GF meant and how it was taken by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth