GA - Elijah Wood 23, RaceTrac convenience store clerk shot & killed, Oconee Co, 19 Mar 2021 *Arrest*

Oconee County Georgia Sheriff's Office

Sherrif’s statement

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your support and willingness to call in with information. This case has shocked our entire community, and trust me when I say that we are doing everything humanly possible to solve it. We have been touched by your outpouring of love and kindness to Elijah’s family. I also want to assure you that RaceTrac has been extremely supportive of the family and helpful in the investigation in a level that is beyond our expectations.

We are tirelessly working around the clock with our local, state, and federal partners to follow every lead to its logical conclusion. We are following evidence and facts not chasing theory and conjecture.

Please understand that we have to protect the integrity of the investigation, and there is evidence and information that has not and will not be released.

If I may speak plainly to you, baseless theories are not helpful, and quite frankly, there has not been enough information released for anyone to form a logical conclusion.

Like all of you I am appalled by this heinous act and as a member of our community I want this crime solved as much as anyone. As your Sheriff I promise that your Sheriff’s Office is working as hard as we can to solve this crime!

Sheriff James A. Hale, Jr

I think this is a solid lead/ connection! (MOO)
hmm 4 hour distance from Oconee Co. GA to Florence, SC. What time of day were the couple found dead in the motel?

Not a lot of info on this yet, but according to the FCSO press release, it was 2:30 PM when they arrived to serve the couple with the warrants. (SBM, BBM)

Florence County Sheriff's Office - South Carolina
On Friday, March 19, 2021, at approximately 2:30 PM Investigators with the Florence County Sheriffs Office, along with the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force attempted to serve multiple felony warrants on two suspects who were located at the Suburban Extended Stay Motel on West Lucas Street in Florence, SC. When Investigators knocked and announced their presence, two gunshots were heard from inside the room where the suspects were located.
[...]

Investigators believe the two were responsible for as many as 22 other armed robberies in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

So, I found a photo of CL with her eyes looking down and made a side by side comparison with the closeup stills released of EW's shooting suspect.

I am having trouble finding the rules on sleuthing a suspect of another case (22 other armed robberies that have not been listed), that hasn't been officially connected in this case, that is also deceased (presumably by suicide as felony warrants were being served).

Does anybody know how to get approval on stuff like that? Do I click report on my own post? TIA

I personally think the body shape suggests a male, but the walk/run is rather feminine. The close-up photo of the shooter's eyes seem like they could have make-up on, but the image is so lo-res it's hard to tell.

That sums up my impression as well.

The figure does not have the fuller hips / rear end associated with females. Yet, certain aspects of the individual's running gate, including the short, mincing steps seem to be feminine. I also get the impression that the perpetrator is wearing make up (eyelash treatment / extensions?).

As for race / ethnicity, the person's apparent complection and physical features seem very nebulous.

This could support the individual being say "Mediterranean" white, mixed race, a black person with a light complection, as well as say, Indian or Pakistani.

So, I found a photo of CL with her eyes looking down and made a side by side comparison with the closeup stills released of EW's shooting suspect.
FYI, I haven't posted it because I failed to note where I found the original photo and I can't seem to find it again to link a source.

If anyone else wants to look for it, it was a photo of her signing her commitment to Coker, I believe, in a library-type setting.

Vehicle of Interest

I’m not sure I see a vehicle.

“This video shows a vehicle of interest arriving prior to the RaceTrac shooting. The vehicle is seen traveling 441 south, turning right onto Hog Mountain Rd., driving past the RaceTrac, turning right onto Welbrook Rd. and stopping for a period of time before driving away. (The video speed may not be in real time).

Anyone with information on this vehicle or who may have seen this vehicle in the area of the RaceTrac or parked on Welbrook Rd. on 3/19/21 between 1245 am and 0130 am is urged to contact the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 769 3945.”

Vehicle of Interest

I’m not sure I see a vehicle.

“This video shows a vehicle of interest arriving prior to the RaceTrac shooting. The vehicle is seen traveling 441 south, turning right onto Hog Mountain Rd., driving past the RaceTrac, turning right onto Welbrook Rd. and stopping for a period of time before driving away. (The video speed may not be in real time).

Anyone with information on this vehicle or who may have seen this vehicle in the area of the RaceTrac or parked on Welbrook Rd. on 3/19/21 between 1245 am and 0130 am is urged to contact the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 769 3945.”

what vehicle were lutcken and like in SC driving? ETA cant even tell what type of vehicle that is just that a car went by.

Someone posted this story in the comments of the Sheriff’s FB page

Former Coker University student, athlete accused in robberies across 3 states
View attachment 289822
A former Coker University student and athlete, who was found shot to death with a man last Friday inside a Florence motel, is suspected in more than 20 robberies across South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia, according to officials.

Chauntress Evelyn Like, 21, of Westerville, Ohio, and Donovan McMillan, 25, of Hartsville were identified as the victims of the motel shooting, according to Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutcken.
I happen to know a former Coker athlete who is FB friends with this gal.

I'm local and a local podcast called had the sheriff on today. He said the South Carolina potential person of interest had been cleared as not being in the area at the time. The reward has also been increased to $25,000. And a family member on the podcast said Elijah was covering another employee's shift and wasn't originally scheduled to work that shift. Made it sound like the family thinks another employee might have been the target. Not sure if I can link the podcast? The podcast has the interview with the Oconee County Sheriff and brother in law of Elijah. Long time lurker, but almost never post, so thanks for any advice on whether or not this podcast is msm. Thks -

Oops - and I guess I should say that if it isn't msm, please delete mods! Thks again -

Last edited:
I'm local and a local podcast called had the sheriff on today. He said the South Carolina potential person of interest had been cleared as not being in the area at the time. The reward has also been increased to $25,000. And a family member on the podcast said Elijah was covering another employee's shift and wasn't originally scheduled to work that shift. Made it sound like the family thinks another employee might have been the target. Not sure if I can link the podcast? The podcast has the interview with the Oconee County Sheriff and brother in law of Elijah. Long time lurker, but almost never post, so thanks for any advice on whether or not this podcast is msm. Thks -

Oops - and I guess I should say that if it isn't msm, please delete mods! Thks again -

thank you for the local insight!! well we can put that rumor to bed then.

That is very interesting, if he was covering someone else's shift, it's possible the other employee was the target.

I wonder if the employees at this gas station typically work the same schedule every week? Now, you would think if the shooter themselves knew the other (intended employee) and saw it wasn't that person, they would leave. But perhaps they freaked out because Elijah had already seen them with a gun and shot anyways. OR perhaps they were hired or set up by someone else to commit this shooting and had no idea what the intended victim looked like, just that "They'll be the only person working in the gas station at this time." All MOO

That is very interesting, if he was covering someone else's shift, it's possible the other employee was the target.

I wonder if the employees at this gas station typically work the same schedule every week? Now, you would think if the shooter themselves knew the other (intended employee) and saw it wasn't that person, they would leave. But perhaps they freaked out because Elijah had already seen them with a gun and shot anyways. OR perhaps they were hired or set up by someone else to commit this shooting and had no idea what the intended victim looked like, just that "They'll be the only person working in the gas station at this time." All MOO
I know. The surveillance video really looks like the killing was the primary goal rather than a robbery, IMO. So, if another employee might have been the target, that opens up a new line of inquiry. I don't know how regular their shifts were.

It's just so sad. I live about a mile from this Racetrack and go there all the time. I didn't know Elijah, but definitely recognize him. He was always super helpful and funny when I'd take my nephew there for frozen yogurt. Really, really hope they catch this person(s).

Family posts video (on their public site dedicated to the case) expressing support for the sheriff, but frustration with FBI/GBI. There are some interesting questions about why the local sheriff's hands appear to be tied by the other authorities. (I don't know enough to know if this is unusual or not.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back