UK UK - Russell Bohling, 18, West Ella, East Riding of Yorkshire, 2 Mar 2010

TinBiscuit

Reaction score
Hi hope everyone is ok. So I’ve found a intriguing case that I’m doing a podcast on. It’s from the U.K. and right on my door step (which is one reason why I’m doing a podcast on it) but finding out more and more I’m becoming intrigued by it all. It’s about a missing man called ‘Russell Bohling’ who went missing at a place called ‘Bempton Cliffs’ super super strange and very interesting too. Anyway just thought I’d say Hi :)

Last edited:
Interesting case ('google'). A thread on that'd be good...if I knew how to set one up... :)

Interesting case ('google'). A thread on that'd be good...if I knew how to set one up... :)
Yeah, I only found out about this forum tonight. I’ve spent most of today reading up about it.

Hi hope everyone is ok. So I’ve found a intriguing case that I’m doing a podcast on. It’s from the U.K. and right on my door step (which is one reason why I’m doing a podcast on it) but finding out more and more I’m becoming intrigued by it all. It’s about a missing man called ‘Russell Bohling’ who went missing at a place called ‘Bempton Cliffs’ super super strange and very interesting too. Anyway just thought I’d say Hi :)

Well I’ve spent most of today too looking at it. I thought it be good for a podcast of a bit of web slurping as I go.

How bizarre. Not heard of this one before, but I'm going to have a search. The details of his USB stick and also his trainers turning up are curious.

I don't think we have a thread for him but a search of his surname on the site brings up two posts from members asking before if there is a thread.

Most of it is from his dad and what he thought. His dad is interesting tho. Worked for government and got found with CP on his laptop. I find it strange that he lived right near a major suicide spot but drove all that way and paid for a all day ticket. There’s loads to go at and any help would be awesome.

East Yorkshire...so Humberside Police?
Is the name correct? Bohling is a super-rare name in the UK, I can find nothing on a Russell Bohling in any of the public archives. Come to that, I can't find any record of any Bohling born in the UK. I know my search was sketchy, but that's odd, don't you think? Should have a mum and dad.

OK Did a better search. Found him. Jan 1992, and he has a "shadow", another Russell Bohling, also born '92 in Idaho, USA, who died age 25.

Last edited:
Just read the wikipedia article. There doesn't seem much in the way of outside corroboration, barring the family. I like find there's a neutral witness, human or otherwise, to back up a timeline. Families are justifiably emotional on these occasions.

I've never heard of this case either. After a little reading my first instinct is suicide but something gives me bad vibes...

I've never heard of this case either. After a little reading my first instinct is suicide but something gives me bad vibes...
yeah that's my first thoughts. Then i got to thinking, why drive that far to do it and then pay for a full days ticket ? if you're going to kill yourself the fine isn't a problem from an unpaid ticket . Also as i said why travel that far to do it, when you live right near a major suicide hot spot (Humber Bridge) also the days leading up too it is interesting. so is his dead that worked on a anit-croupption case.

Is there any proof he actually left the area around his home? If someone is guilty of causing harm to another party, they will often go leave their victim's vehicle at some misleading spot like an airport or a country park to sidetrack any investigations.

Is there any proof he actually left the area around his home? If someone is guilty of causing harm to another party, they will often go leave their victim's vehicle at some misleading spot like an airport or a country park to sidetrack any investigations.
only the car and when his parents and that said when he left etc. going to Bradford, York, and Bridlington is interesting too. also the ticket and the finger print on it.

_110034133_russel_bohling.jpg

Russell Bohling inquest: Missing Hull student 'died in seas'

Article from December 2019:

A coroner said he believed a man who disappeared nine years ago "somehow died in the sea" off the East Yorkshire coast.

Russell Bohling, 18, from West Ella, near Hull, went missing on 2 March 2010.

His body has never been found but his car was later discovered at Bempton Cliffs car park, near Bridlington.

Assistant coroner David Rosenberg ruled out suicide and gave a narrative verdict at the inquest in Hull.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On the morning of 2 March 2010, Bohling left the family home at West Ella to attend Bishop Burton College in Beverley, where he was studying bricklaying.[2] It is not known if he actually attended college that day, but his Renault Clio was found 45 miles (72 km) away at Bempton Cliffs,[3] near to a former Royal Air Force bunker at Bempton on the East Yorkshire coast.[4]

0_RAF-Bempton.jpg

The disused RAF base at Bempton

Bohling's car was noted by an RSPB worker at 5:00 pm on 2 March 2010 and was still there when the worker returned the next morning.[5] It had a ticket on it that had been paid for a full day's parking having been bought at 11:30 am the morning of 2 March.

Disappearance of Russell Bohling - Wikipedia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humberside Police were adamant Russell could have driven to Bempton Cliffs without refuelling so officers didn't collect any CCTV footage at garages along the way.

But the family believe Russell's car must have been refuelled between him leaving home and driving to Bempton Cliffs.

Russell's debit card had not been used and he had very little cash on him, which his family insist suggests a third party provided money.

[...]

In a written statement, Russell’s dad Roger explained that his son suffered from learning difficulties, dyslexia and a language disorder.

Mr Bohling said: “Russell felt he was rubbish at secondary school but he was stoic and I had admiration for the way he coped and the determination to carry on.

“But he really enjoyed it when he went to Bishop Burton College.

“He had an exemplary attendance at college and had an anxiety about getting into trouble.”

Speaking at the inquest, Mr Bohling insists his son missing college just to go on a random trip to Bempton was totally out of character.

He said: “We have the enormous advantage of having 18 years to understand Russell.

“People could set their watches by him and he was a creature of habit.

“I do not understand why Russell should choose to take himself off on a Tuesday for a trip out in the car.

“Why would he change his routine when he is a person of routine? It is totally out of character to miss college.

Coroner rules out suicide in mysterious death of Russell Bohling

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back