Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

Detectives investigating the gruesome death of a New Jersey woman whose recently-identified remains were found along the Lehigh River in Carbon County 44 years ago are asking for the public’s help to secure a conviction.

Police say Colon is “Beth Doe,” the woman found dismembered and stuffed into suitcases along with a full term fetus who has been the subject of decades of cold case investigations. Sierra is her former boyfriend.

He’s in a New York prison awaiting extradition to Pennsylvania, and investigators are seeking information pertinent to the case.

“We strongly encourage anyone who feels they can provide insight into this case to contact (state police,) officials said in a statement.

The number to call is 1-800-4PA-TIPS (1-800-472-8477), and callers should reference Media Release #1956, police said in a statement.

Colon’s family members gave police Sierra’s name. They said Colon and Sierra, who went by the name “Wiso,” had moved into an apartment together.

The family members told police that “Sierra was abusive and jealous toward Evelyn and would keep her locked in the apartment at times … Evelyn had told their mother that she feared Sierra and that if anything happened to her, he was likely involved,” court records say.

When approached at his home by state troopers last week, Sierra initially denied knowing Colon, court records say, but eventually admitted that they dated and she was about to have his child.

State police and the Carbon County District Attorney’s Office are expected to release more information on the case soon.
Police unveil tip line in ‘Beth Doe’ homicide, following New York man’s arrest 44 years after body parts found along Lehigh River

2014 update:
Investigators close in on Beth Doe and her killer

Her then-boyfriend, Luis Sierra, who is now 63, of Ozone Park, New York, was arrested last month for criminal homicide after DNA testing proved to be the break in the case investigators had long sought.
She apparently chose to live her life apart from them — a fact they accepted with great sadness, Veltman said. So, no missing persons report was ever filed, she said.

Her family never stopped thinking about her, wondering how she was, where she was and how her family may have grown over the years with additional children or grandchildren, Veltman said.

Veltman’s grandmother never gave up hope that she would see her daughter again, but passed before the family learned Evelyn’s true fate.

Veltman, who was born 11 years after her aunt vanished, grew up with stories about her, as they shared the same birthday, April 17.

“Every year, my father would tell me, ‘Happy Birthday,’ and say, ‘You were born on your aunt’s birthday,’” she recalled.

“She was the aunt I never got to meet, but I always felt a deep connection to her,” said Veltman, who lives in New Albany, Indiana.
Evelyn’s family continues to reel over the details of her death — strangled, shot, dismembered, stuffed into suitcases and tossed like trash over a high bridge onto the banks of the Lehigh River.

Her unborn daughter, who the family has now named Emily Grace, was cut from her womb, and Evelyn’s nose, ears and breasts had been removed.
They want now to connect with the then-teenager who found her body, Kenneth Jumper Jr., dogged investigators and people in Northeast Pennsylvania who mourned her death in absence of her own family and kept her memory alive all of these years, she said.

The family has no photographs of Evelyn, Veltman said, as they suffered a devastating fire in 1975 that took all of the cherished family mementos. They continue to seek them out, she said.

The family was also amazed at the likeness of composite sketches investigators created after her body was exhumed in 2007. Veltman immediately saw the resemblance to her niece and sister.

Her grandmother described her as the most beautiful girl in the family with hazel-green eyes, light skin and long, long dark hair, she said. She always imagined an equally beautiful life for her long ago, lost daughter, Veltman said.

“Now, we know she didn’t leave,” she said. “She was killed. She was taken away from us.”

Her grave in rural Carbon County now bears her name. A block of wood with the name, Evelyn Colon, lays at the foot of a white cross reading Beth Doe. Flowers and a child’s toy also adorn the grave.

Veltman can’t express the gratitude her family has for all of the concern, caring and tears others shed for Evelyn and Emily Grace.
“Carbon County adopted her,” she said. “It’s incredible. You all kept her memory alive, knowing about her and praying for her. That’s so powerful that this county was praying for my family and how you loved someone you didn’t know.”
Gut-Wrenching 44-Year Wait Over for Family of Murdered Pregnant Teen

re: The family has no photographs of Evelyn, Veltman said, as they suffered a devastating fire in 1975 that took all of the cherished family mementos. They continue to seek them out, she said.

I didn't think this could get any sadder....... :(

I noticed it happens very often when a cold case is solved. Family and friends often get accused of not looking hard enough for their loved one. But the truth is that in most cases family and friends did try to find their missing relative/friend. Buckskin Girl, Grateful Doe, Sumter county Does and Lori Erica Ruff are just a few examples of people who were unidentified for many years and whose families were looking for them.
People are just so judgemental.

I can’t “like” this enough.

Hey everyone, after all my years researching this case I finally made it out to weatherly today. I read what I wrote to Evelyn the day I found out she was identified and had a moment of silence. The gravesite was beautiful. For those of you that can't make it out here is a video I took.

Hey everyone, after all my years researching this case I finally made it out to weatherly today. I read what I wrote to Evelyn the day I found out she was identified and had a moment of silence. The gravesite was beautiful. For those of you that can't make it out here is a video I took.
I can sense your emotion at the gravesite. I admire all you’ve done for Evelyn and Emily. Thanks for sharing this!!

Is there any information on if Luis will also be charged with the murder of baby Emily? Especially since she was full-term or near full-term and presumably would have been able to survive if she had been born at that point, it seems like he really, really should be charged with her murder.

It horrifies me beyond words that this happened to a very heavily pregnant girl at all, but even more so that a "father" could do that to his own child. I hope he gets what he deserves.

Is there any information on if Luis will also be charged with the murder of baby Emily? Especially since she was full-term or near full-term and presumably would have been able to survive if she had been born at that point, it seems like he really, really should be charged with her murder.

It horrifies me beyond words that this happened to a very heavily pregnant girl at all, but even more so that a "father" could do that to his own child. I hope he gets what he deserves.

So far, he's only been charged with one count of criminal homicide. I agree with you - he needs to charged with 2 counts.
Carbon County Cold Case Arrest: Man charged with homicide 44 years later | ABC27

NY man, 63, charged in decades-old homicide in Carbon County

Pennsylvania has a fetal homicide law, but I don't know whether it would be retroactive to a death in 1976 when it wasn't enacted until 1997. Perhaps one of our legal eagles could weigh in on this question?

Pennsylvania's Feticide Law Among Nation's Most Stringent

I can’t understand the lack of a second charge in baby Emily’s death either. Especially when he admitted to knowing Evelyn was pregnant. I have a feeling we’ll find out though. He relatively young, and I hope he sees the justice process all the way through.

Pennsylvania has a fetal homicide law, but I don't know whether it would be retroactive to a death in 1976 when it wasn't enacted until 1997. Perhaps one of our legal eagles could weigh in on this question?

Pennsylvania's Feticide Law Among Nation's Most Stringent
I doubt it. Most, if not all, newly implemented laws are not retroactive. They have to use the statutes that were in effect at the time of the murders. Unfortunately.

Has anybody found a Facebook page for her alleged killer Luis Sierra? I want to see the face of the man most likely did this to her. I looked up his name but there are a lot of Luis Sierras in that area of NY.

Has anybody found a Facebook page for her alleged killer Luis Sierra? I want to see the face of the man most likely did this to her. I looked up his name but there are a lot of Luis Sierras in that area of NY.
I have not. I did see a post somewhere that a person posted a pic of him. I can’t remember where I saw it and there’s no telling if it’s actually him or not. If I find it I’ll let you know.

I have not. I did see a post somewhere that a person posted a pic of him. I can’t remember where I saw it and there’s no telling if it’s actually him or not. If I find it I’ll let you know.
The post I referred to earlier was on the "We grew up in Jersey city" facebook page. You can search Evelyn's name and there is a post by a lady EC. She posted a picture of LS in the comments and seems to know Evelyn's brother too, as she tagged him in the post. She links another post in the comments, if you click it she says she went to school with Evelyn, would see LS watching Evelyn from the gates and that Evelyn never came to high school so she always wondered what happened to her.

There were concerns that this lady got the wrong person and the brother hasn't confirmed or denied much, he doesn't seem too tech savvy but EC has tagged him in posts and seems to have a lot of information, so I think it's legit.

The post I referred to earlier was on the "We grew up in Jersey city" facebook page. You can search Evelyn's name and there is a post by a lady EC. She posted a picture of LS in the comments and seems to know Evelyn's brother too, as she tagged him in the post. She links another post in the comments, if you click it she says she went to school with Evelyn, would see LS watching Evelyn from the gates and that Evelyn never came to high school so she always wondered what happened to her.

There were concerns that this lady got the wrong person and the brother hasn't confirmed or denied much, he doesn't seem too tech savvy but EC has tagged him in posts and seems to have a lot of information, so I think it's legit.
Ah! That’s it. Thank you!

Not sure if this article was posted: PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

If you read through it (I can't c+p) one of his neighbours said "I'm sorry for him. He's a very nice guy. Maybe in the past he was bad but I don't see that in him now" and another said "He's such a sweet guy". I have no words, honestly. Someone who can murder and dismember their girlfriend and their near term baby and then remarry, have children and act like nothing happened is an absolute monster. She was an innocent child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back