George Floyd death / Derek Chauvin trial - Sidebar week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also IMO, the juror who is a Cardiac Nurse knows all of this as well
yes this report and testimony will make sense to her and I think she will have some strong opinions...I don't know how far the March intervention at HCMC went...I mean he was there for 5 days per Courteney testimony but have to think some sort of angioplasty or procedure may have been suggested at that time. With that situation together with drugs on board clearly everything that happened had a more significant impact on GF than a more healthy individual. I think at the end of the day cause of death was a combination of things and frankly I would not want to have to make decisions based on that. BAsed on what I saw on video and absent any medical testimony (not possible I know) my vote is for min. 3rd and I might go for 2nd.
It may be posted here somewhere, but would you be so kind as to let me know how to watch Lane’s BCA interview please? TIA.

Thomas Lane BCA interview in George Floyd death

here you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. That is not the way "emergency care" works. You get treatment for the ICD diagnosis that got you admitted. Not comprehensive medical treatment or diagnostic tests. That is the way Medicaid works, if Floyd was even eligible for anything.

Slightly OT... are you a coder? I was a coder in a former life ;) Interestingly enough, I was looking up ICD codes for cardiopulmonary arrest the other night.

Slightly OT... are you a coder? I was a coder in a former life ;) Interestingly enough, I was looking up ICD codes for cardiopulmonary arrest the other night.

No, I worked in a hospital for years, and learned quite a bit about the difference in care between being admitted for ER treatment and other care. Especially if the person admitted did not have insurance or a primary care provider.

Do you really think that? I was wondering about him but thought he was good in his testimony - mind you I'm not used to watching real live trials.

He looks uncomfortable to me. He's a city employee. Imo he minimized information on the autopsy that would cause another city employee to look bad.

I wonder how the autopsy would have read if the perpetrators were three civilians rather than three city employees.

Gosh, the "hoopin" angle the defense keeps trying to get at is driving me nuts. Floyd was undoubtedly telling the officers that he was playing basketball earlier. I've heard the term literally thousands of times throughout my playing days (through college) and beyond. "Hooper" is also a very common term for someone wh0 plays basketball.

This obviously isn't proof of anything, but here's a clip from a newer netflix documentary where they talk about "hoopers"

Did they describe what he had been doing that day? Had he in fact been playing basketball?

No, I worked in a hospital for years, and learned quite a bit about the difference in care between being admitted for ER treatment and other care. Especially if the person admitted did not have insurance or a primary care provider.
So if a person is admitted to the hospital for covid, or any other medical problem, they can't be tested for underlying conditions if they have Medicaid?

I guess maybe I’m confused about DC’s charges. They differ from Texas a bit. The way I’m reading it is that the jury would have to find that he did not play a significant role, or any role, in GF’s death in order to acquit him of all charges. Is that right? I don’t think there’s even a slight chance the jurors won’t all agree he did play a huge role. It seems like it comes down to DC’s state of mind during this as to what to find him guilty of. Intent, I suppose. Granted I haven’t watched every minute of the trial, but I’ve not heard much testimony that speaks to this. Even watching the videos isn’t enough for me.

So if a person is admitted to the hospital for covid, or any other medical problem, they can't be tested for underlying conditions if they have Medicaid?
That sure has not been my experience if they are admitted...just in ER only focused on chief complaint. But then I come in with good insurance so may well be different. I think it is a fair statement to say GF's interaction with medical professionals was limited to ER visits but could be more...we really don't know about entire medical history. His lifestyle was not helping him out.

That sure has not been my experience if they are admitted...just in ER only focused on chief complaint. But then I come in with good insurance so may well be different. I think it is a fair statement to say GF's interaction with medical professionals was limited to ER visits but could be more...we really don't know about entire medical history. His lifestyle was not helping him out.
Yes, he was admitted for five days so I was thinking it was more than just ER treatment. In any case, I think it was only the high blood pressure that was diagnosed. His family and girlfriend seemed surprised to learn that he had any kind of heart disease. The ME who completed the second autopsy said he wished he had the arteries Floyd had.

I've neither seen them nor searched for them.
Reason being is because I figure that if he had Od's every day of the week even, there is still no evidence he Od'd on the day he died.
And it is on the day he died that we are focused upon.
His post mortem toxicology results, stomach content analysis, his respiratory and consciousness levels are not consistent with an overdose of nicotine, caffiene, fentantl or metamphetamine.

Oh since you said to google them I thought they had been released.

Trying to understand how much of a contributing factor the drugs would be is a huge factor IMO to the case, because I’m looking at it as an interaction with a cop who has no knowledge of his medical history. Would a person with no drugs in their system have died under these circumstances is a question that’s important to me.

Oh since you said to google them I thought they had been released.

Trying to understand how much of a contributing factor the drugs would be is a huge factor IMO to the case, because I’m looking at it as an interaction with a cop who has no knowledge of his medical history. Would a person with no drugs in their system have died under these circumstances is a question that’s important to me.
They would have according to the medical experts
condensed here Medical witnesses clash with defense over George Floyd's death

Chauvin trial told ‘a healthy person would have died’ under same circumstances as George Floyd – as it happened

Yes, he was admitted for five days so I was thinking it was more than just ER treatment. In any case, I think it was only the high blood pressure that was diagnosed. His family and girlfriend seemed surprised to learn that he had any kind of heart disease. The ME who completed the second autopsy said he wished he had the arteries Floyd had.

BBM

Something I read in an article someone posted yesterday.. in the second autopsy, they didn't have a lot to work with. The arteries were already dissected (organs removed, etc.), so I'm not sure how that ME could even make that statement.

Also.. JMO, but I have read Baker's autopsy report, I wouldn't want his arteries.

I would like to see it too, because it would show what drugs he was use to using, and what was a OD inducing amount based on his tolerance. I tried googling, but couldn’t find it, but perhaps your google-fu is better than mine if you have seen those reports!
His girlfriend testified that both she and Floyd started using opioids after being prescribed narcotics for injuries. This was over a three year period so I would think his tolerance was pretty high. It depends on how much time passed between his last use and the time of his death. Imo

I don't think it has ever been mentioned what he had been doing that day. His girlfriend apparently had not seen him, since he had spent the night at a friend's house.

We might get some type of answer from Wanda...the woman in the backseat of the car by Cup Foods. I believe she is on the list of witnesses. 'Maurice' or Morrise ( Mr Hall) ..will not be a willing participant in answering that question..or so we have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson