TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you gumshoe,
Am I correct in reading there was a handgun left by the body??

ETA: on page 5 half way down it describes this
No, and this was mega confusing at the time. The CSI sergeant Fitzgerald was asked to run an eTrace on the gun found “at the body site location.” We would all think he meant “by her body”, right? But no. Through sources and also through the press release MPD put out for the three -year anniversary, the gun was Missy’s gun, stored unused in her truck.

Either Fitzgerald chose some really bad wording, or I guess it’s possible that he misunderstood information that MPD gave him. I think that’s more likely. He worked for Ellis County, not Midlothian. He was brought in to help, and his on-site duty that morning was to process Missy’s truck and its contents. He did not do the crime scene inside the church, although he was shown it. But in processing the truck he would have known that her gun was there. So I really don’t know why he chose the language “body site location” instead of just saying “in the truck”.

No, and this was mega confusing at the time. The CSI sergeant Fitzgerald was asked to run an eTrace on the gun found “at the body site location.” We would all think he meant “by her body”, right? But no. Through sources and also through the press release MPD put out for the three -year anniversary, the gun was Missy’s gun, stored unused in her truck.

Either Fitzgerald chose some really bad wording, or I guess it’s possible that he misunderstood information that MPD gave him. I think that’s more likely. He worked for Ellis County, not Midlothian. He was brought in to help, and his on-site duty that morning was to process Missy’s truck and its contents. He did not do the crime scene inside the church, although he was shown it. But in processing the truck he would have known that her gun was there. So I really don’t know why he chose the language “body site location” instead of just saying “in the truck”.
Got it, thank you for the explanation. Boy oh boy that is something quite eyebrow raising if you hadn’t explained.

I'm thinking about the mindset of a burglar in dark isolated church, in the middle of the night during a storm, feeling like he's got all the time in the world and free reign over the place. I've tossed around the idea that MB surprised SP by coming up behind him while he was making noise and didn't hear her approach from behind. I think that's really likely.

The other scenario could also be true, that SP heard MB arrive and hid, hoping he could avoid detection and get away. Maybe he drew his weapon just in case he had to intimidate or shoot his way out.

So in the church, SP is doing his thing -and then he hears the doors swing open and rattle. He hears squeaky wet sneakers on the tile down the hall and maybe a voice call out. This would not, in fact, be his worst case scenario, which would be: LE entering the building loudly announcing themselves several times as Midlothian Police. The sound of heavy feet, the jangly sound of a suited up, accessorized officer.

If the burglar had heard police would he have drawn his weapon and waited to assassinate an officer or die by cop? Did he sense that there was someone in the building he "still had a chance" against and instead hatched his stupid plan that included hiding, waiting, shooting his way out? - and didn't expect MB to object and maybe stand in his way?

All my opinions. And also want to add I'm really enjoying the level of discussion here lately.

bbm

Hhhhhmmm, and MB (in SwatPerp's opinion) ruined the carefully laid-out plan! SP is patiently strolling around the church, expecting the 'alarm system' to bring a law enforcement officer into the trap, just to see who takes the first shot or the most accurate shot!

I kinda like this disgusting line of thought. Makes several pieces fit, anyway.

jmho ymmv lrr

bbm

Hhhhhmmm, and MB (in SwatPerp's opinion) ruined the carefully laid-out plan! SP is patiently strolling around the church, expecting the 'alarm system' to bring a law enforcement officer into the trap, just to see who takes the first shot or the most accurate shot!

I kinda like this disgusting line of thought. Makes several pieces fit, anyway.

jmho ymmv lrr
I hadn't considered that angle at all, actually. That's a new one.

In the narrative I was painting above my assumption was that if SP had heard LE come into the building they would have given up or run away. But because they may had heard a civilian, they would have stood their ground and that resulted in MBs death.

@Gumshoe Stories is it known at all if any item of church property, regardless of value, was taken? Also, is it known whether SP opened desk drawers or filing cabinets, etc. or caused any damage in the office area?

One more thing, is there any expectation or indication that MPD will have something to say or possibly something new to say on the 5 year anniversary?

@Gumshoe Stories is it known at all if any item of church property, regardless of value, was taken? Also, is it known whether SP opened desk drawers or filing cabinets, etc. or caused any damage in the office area?

One more thing, is there any expectation or indication that MPD will have something to say or possibly something new to say on the 5 year anniversary?
To the best of my knowledge, nothing at all was taken. Not even the mystery object.

You mention filing cabinets. The room that was the most disturbed was a room containing files related to the church’s prison ministry. That’s not inside the offices. It’s a standalone room. But even though it was the most disturbed, nothing was actually taken.

It’s tough to guess what MPD will or won’t do. But I would guess that they will have something to say, for two reasons. One, they let the 4-year anniversary go by without acknowledgement, so it’s hard to imagine they would do that two years in a row and with the five year mark being a milestone. Second, the reward has just been increased from 40k to 140k, so that gives them something to publicize.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing at all was taken. Not even the mystery object.

You mention filing cabinets. The room that was the most disturbed was a room containing files related to the church’s prison ministry. That’s not inside the offices. It’s a standalone room. But even though it was the most disturbed, nothing was actually taken.

It’s tough to guess what MPD will or won’t do. But I would guess that they will have something to say, for two reasons. One, they let the 4-year anniversary go by without acknowledgement, so it’s hard to imagine they would do that two years in a row and with the five year mark being a milestone. Second, the reward has just been increased from 40k to 140k, so that gives them something to publicize.
What room number is the one related to the prison ministry?

Another quick question if you don't mind. As near as I can tell the only doors that open into the rooms are the kitchen doors, rooms 9 and 14, and room 19 is that right?

Inward-opening doors:
7 (both kitchen doors)
10 (southern door)
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20

Outward-opening doors:
Closet 1
2 (door facing hallway)
8 (both doors)
10 (northern door)
Bathroom between 16 and 17

I’m not sure either way on the following:
Cub corner room 2, the alcove to right of main entrance
Room 3 (Kelsey’s Place), the alcove to left of main entrance
Room 11
Room 12

What is the significance to you of which way the doors open?

Interestingly that may be the room SP either left the light, or it automatically turned on upon entering. We talked about it before:

View attachment 292318
Click to enlarge

View attachment 292319
Click to enlarge

-Nin
Yeah, that is what I was thinking about when I asked about doors that open into the rooms versus out into the hall. An outward door should have made a visible presence along the hall if an interior room light is responsible for the lightness that you highlight.

Also, I would think if the SWFA camera facing CCoC was operating at the time a lit room that far down the south side should be visible.

Inward-opening doors:
7 (both kitchen doors)
10 (southern door)

Outward-opening doors:
Closet 1
2 (door facing hallway)
8 (both doors)
10 (northern door)

Room 11
Room 12

See above.

Inward-opening doors:
7 (both kitchen doors)
10 (southern door)

Outward-opening doors:
Closet 1
2 (door facing hallway)
8 (both doors)
10 (northern door)

Room 11
Room 12

Wasn't the southern door to Room 10 the one that was open into the East hall in the last segment of the long MPD video?

Yeah, that is what I was thinking about when I asked about doors that open into the rooms versus out into the hall. An outward door should have made a visible presence along the hall if an interior room light is responsible for the lightness that you highlight.

Also, I would think if the SWFA camera facing CCoC was operating at the time a lit room that far down the south side should be visible.
I don’t know, that’s an awfully long way for an interior room light to travel.

I don’t think the room lights are particularly significant. Most if not all of them were motion-activated and would have shut off quickly.

Wasn't the southern door to Room 10 the one that was open into the East hall in the last segment of the long MPD video?
There IS a door open down there, but is it 11? From that angle it’s impossible to tell which room. The reason I believe one door to 10 opens inward is I saw photos from inside room 10 and the doors were different. I’ll have to see if I can find them. The three doors that I do not have good footage right now to see are southern 10 and then 11 and 12.

I don’t think the room lights are particularly significant. Most if not all of them were motion-activated and would have shut off quickly.
But, if the SWFA camera were working that light going on and then off or even staying on (if that is the cause of the light NIN noted) seems like it would have been would have been viewable.

The room SP entered prior to the billboard did not lighten up when he entered. The light in one of the offices was interesting to me, as I thought SP possibly forgot to turn it off and it would clearly weigh against the theory Missy had been targeted. JMO. But then I understand the church may have automatic lighting, as you pointed out.

-Nin

Also, with the extreme likelihood that SP coming west in the south hall was after an excursion east in the south hall and north in the east hall before returning then that light source (if that is what is going on) should have been there that entire time before we see it which easily is several minutes in duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine